• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Movies You've Seen Recently

• Thread starter angellous_evangellous
  • Start date

rsd

ACBSP77
Haven't seen it yet but i desperatley want to, its an independant film called "the proposition".
I give it 5 stars. But extreme graphic violence. Camera work, colors, sets first class. Have seen it 3 times.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Watchmen
It's a very dark superhero movie. There some things I didn't like, such as the fact that there's no explanation for why some people are superheroes, and they have unrealistic abilities for no reason.
I liked that aspect of the movie. A plausible & unforced back story can get in the way of the story, & if clumsily done can ruin it.
(The Matrix went belly up for me when it was revealed that humans were used to generate power by cold fusion. Painfully aware
of the Pons-Fleischmann scandal, that was an eye roller for me.) I like the intentional avoidance of what would be obvious in their
world. They wouldn't bring up their origins, so why should the movie. Movies where the back story made mythology great:
Spiderman, Darkman, Wolverine

What Dreams May Come
Robin Williams goes to heaven and hell. He acted it well, and the special effects were incredible, especially for the 90's. There was a very artful quality to a portion of the heaven scene. The world described in the film is very bleak and depressing, which I didn't particularly like. I like the basic plot, but not the details, and am not really into New Age stuff. I really loved the artistic quality of the film.
You must be the other person who liked that movie. I thought I was the only one. I found it interesting, rich & unpredictable.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
I hoodwinked my husband into watching Kenneth Branaugh's "Much Ado About Nothing" and after the first fifteen minutes of culture shock and Shakespearean English, my husband allowed himself to be seduced and ended up loving the movie - which has been one of my favorites for years.

Chock full of great acting - and luscious men:

Much_Ado_About_Nothing261110223621Much_Ado_About_Nothing_2.jpeg

6941634_gal.jpg

Much-Ado-About-Nothing-1.jpg

Hjpdv1zvhEHdKdll14R1.jpg

Acim

Revelation all the time
What Dreams May Come
Robin Williams goes to heaven and hell. He acted it well, and the special effects were incredible, especially for the 90's. There was a very artful quality to a portion of the heaven scene. The world described in the film is very bleak and depressing, which I didn't particularly like. I like the basic plot, but not the details, and am not really into New Age stuff. I really loved the artistic quality of the film.

Tis a very good film with decent acting all around. But the visuals and message are what stands out IMHO.

Acim

Revelation all the time
I hoodwinked my husband into watching Kenneth Branaugh's "Much Ado About Nothing"

Also a great film (from the '90's). This was made when Branagh and Thompson still got along famously. (Ah, the good ol' days.) I think this may be best Shakespeare adaptation I've seen. It usually inspires me to write a poem or two. And Michael Keaton as Dogberry adds dimension that's easily overlooked until you rewatch the film.

Kathryn

Also a great film (from the '90's). This was made when Branagh and Thompson still got along famously. (Ah, the good ol' days.) I think this may be best Shakespeare adaptation I've seen. It usually inspires me to write a poem or two. And Michael Keaton as Dogberry adds dimension that's easily overlooked until you rewatch the film.

I love Branagh's Shakespeare adaptations, starting with Henry V (my personal favorite of his movies).

And you're right - Keaton is fabulous in the Dogberry role.

T-Dawg

Self-appointed Lunatic
Watched "Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog" a couple days ago. Probably the only musical that I would ever recommend anyone else watch :).

"Any dolt with half a brain
can see that humankind has gone insane,
to the point where I don't know
if I'll upset the status quo
if I throw poison in the water main!
Listen close to everybody's heart,
and hear that breaking sound...
Hopes and dreams are shattering apart,
and crashing to the ground!
I cannot believe my eyes,
how the world is filled with filth and lies!
But it's plain to see,
Evil inside of me
is on the rise..."

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Watched "Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog" a couple days ago. Probably the only musical that I would ever recommend anyone else watch :).

"Any dolt with half a brain
can see that humankind has gone insane,
to the point where I don't know
if I'll upset the status quo
if I throw poison in the water main!
Listen close to everybody's heart,
and hear that breaking sound...
Hopes and dreams are shattering apart,
and crashing to the ground!
I cannot believe my eyes,
how the world is filled with filth and lies!
But it's plain to see,
Evil inside of me
is on the rise..."
Candide is pretty good too. And Into The Woods, & Oklahoma, & Sweeny Todd, & West Side Story, & The Music Man....

T-Dawg

Self-appointed Lunatic
Candide is pretty good too. And Into The Woods, & Oklahoma, & Sweeny Todd, & West Side Story, & The Music Man....

Oh yes, I forgot about Sweeny Todd, that was pretty good too (although I probably wouldn't go suggesting to strangers that they see it, given it's violent nature).

As for the others, the only other one out of those I've seen is the Music Man, which I didn't particularly like. Nor did I like Marry Poppins, which was also a musical, if I recall.

Kathryn

Just sayin' - don't knock 'em if you don't know what you're knockin'.

I'm not a big fan of musicals myself, but "The Sound of Music" and "Fiddler On the Roof" are not your average musicals. Great story lines, beautiful music, both interesting because of their historical settings - and "The Sound of Music" is a true story.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

I'm not a big fan of musicals myself, but "The Sound of Music" and "Fiddler On the Roof" are not your average musicals. Great story lines, beautiful music, both interesting because of their historical settings - and "The Sound of Music" is a true story.
Can you believe that people exist in this country who haven't seen these?
But then my kids can't believe I have a cel phone as primitive as I do.
I dislike most musicals, but I'm a fan of Sondheim. I like his use of language & unpredictability.

Mrs Rev & I just saw Midnight in Paris last nite.
We, & the other 6 people in the theater enjoyed it.
I really like Woody Allen's style of movie making (music, credits, acting, etc)....when it works.
In this one, I even think that Owen Wilson was a better ersatz Woody Allen than Woody was the real thing.

Last edited:

Alex_G

Enlightner of the Senses
We recently screened David Attenborough's Flying Monsters 3D at our cinema. It was all about the rise and fall of the Pterosaurs with David Attenborough live on screen afterwards streamed to the cinema as he takes questions from an audience. It was very good.

Flying Monsters 3D

Also we screened 'Senna' tonight, a documentary film about the life of F1 racing driver Ayrton Senna, and his tragic death. Also very good and worth watching.

Senna (2010) - IMDb

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
My most recent movie was Moon, with Sam Rockwell. It came out a couple years ago. Very much worth it. The basic storyline, without giving anything away is that we've found a new, cheap, abundant energy source of energy on the moon. A coorporation has built a mining facility on the moon that requires only one man to operate it; everything is automated. The employee's contract is for 3 years. When the movie begins, the man only has a couple weeks left to go. And that's when things start getting strange.

waitasec

Veteran Member
Can you believe that people exist in this country who haven't seen these?
But then my kids can't believe I have a cel phone as primitive as I do.
I dislike most musicals, but I'm a fan of Sondheim. I like his use of language & unpredictability.

Mrs Rev & I just saw Midnight in Paris last nite.
We, & the other 6 people in the theater enjoyed it.
I really like Woody Allen's style of movie making (music, credits, acting, etc)....when it works.
In this one, I even think that Owen Wilson was a better ersatz Woody Allen than Woody was the real thing.

i absolutely agree, owen wilson was really good as woody

i lerv midnight in paris

Acim

Revelation all the time
127 Hours

Kinda like Cast Away but in a canyon, and instead of Wilson, there's Sanyo. While comparisons to Cast Away might not be fair, as the Tom Hanks film is great, I would say this kept on reminding me of Cast Away and Into The Wild. The acting was very good, and the story is told in a compelling way. Director (Danny Boyle) did a commendable job of weaving items together without relying on a narrator to pass the time. Warning: don't eat while watching this movie. It is rated R for more than language and brief episodes of nudity.

Kathryn

We saw "Contagion" last night. It was OK, but lacked depth and character development. Nothing special. After all the hype, we were pretty dissappointed.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

My aunt worked as an usher at a single-screen theatre in high school. The entire two years she worked there, they showed nothing but the Sound of Music. I think that would drive me nuts. :)

Oh - I finally saw some recent movies... on the plane: Thor on the way out and Dinner for Schmucks on the way back. Dinner for Schmucks was okay; Thor was crap. Expensive looking special effects and some big-name actors, but still awful.