• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Movies You've Seen Recently

• Thread starter angellous_evangellous
  • Start date

gnomon

knowing your interest in history and travel, as well as working and living in Europe and other places. I think this one is tailored for you.
I watched Himalaya with Michael Palin before watching New Europe, which I recommend as well. and I'll make a confession that I have his travel book of the Sahara signed by the man, watching his DVD documentary of the Sahara is on my 'next' list.

I've got all of Palin's travel shows on DVD. I love them. Loved "Long Way Round" as well.

Sahara is really good.

gnomon

Thor - It was pretty. That and I hoped filmmakers would stop making films with Natalie Portman after watching this.

King Corn - It was interesting. Very interesting. Seriously need to rethink corn subsidies in this country.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
I've got all of Palin's travel shows on DVD. I love them. Loved "Long Way Round" as well.

Sahara is really good.
I'll probably see it very soon. his other travel documentaries are great.

a bit of a different topic, but did you get to see any of the episodes of Terry Jones' Barbarians?

gnomon

I'll probably see it very soon. his other travel documentaries are great.

a bit of a different topic, but did you get to see any of the episodes of Terry Jones' Barbarians?

Can't remember. I know I've seen his medieval times doc's on either the History channel or Netflix. I don't think I've seen Barbarians. I'll have to check it out.

Acim

Revelation all the time
Cube 2: Hypercube
I'm a sucker for this type of film. I know I saw first one, and thought I had already seen 2nd one, but as plot kept churning along, I kept feeling more and more in dark, which is both good and appropriate for this narrative. For sci-fi thriller, I think these are great flicks. For something resembling good drama, these are not so good. Gotta be willing to take a few leaps of faith to have this sort of film work for you by the end.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Just watched "Skin."

70108552.jpg

Skin2008PG-13106 minutes
Both her father (Sam Neill) and mother (Alice Krige) are white, but Sandra Laing (Sophie Okonedo) is born with dark skin -- a complex problem in the era of South African apartheid that soon drives a wedge into the family in this poignant drama based on a true story. Though her parents fight to have the government classify her as white, Sandra grows up in a divided world, and experiences her parents can't understand make her question her identity.

It was very good.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Last night: Charly with Cliff Robertson (1968) - a bit dated, but still a charming movie
Tonight: Network with Peter Finch etc, from 1976. Still an awesome picture. It's weird, but I couldn't help but think of Beale as being Glenn Beck. O.O

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Caladan, I've started watching the Michael Palin "Eastern Europe" series. So far - EXCELLENT!

Secret Chief

Degrow!
Jane Eyre.

Excellent.

Minor quibble. The story is set in Yorkshire so why film it in the Peak District? The landscapes of both are distinctive and quite dissimilar.

On the plus side, it was mostly shot at Haddon Hall where I've been, so that means Judi Dench and I have walked on the same floors :p :bow:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I saw The Descendents.
My judgement:
- Riddled with standard cliches & gratuitous plot devices.
- Oscar buzzworthy acting by Clooney isn't.

Note:
My opinion is worth what you paid for it.
Mrs Rev really liked it.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Tideland (2005)

Started a thread about it but there were no takers. one of Terry Gilliam's more disturbing films.