• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Movies You've Seen Recently

• Thread starter angellous_evangellous
  • Start date

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
V for Vendetta.

As a huge Matrix fan, I was sadly unimpressed with this mess. Did anyone else like it?
I actually turned it off after about an hour. *Yawn*

cardero

Citizen Mod
YmirGF said:
V for Vendetta.

As a huge Matrix fan, I was sadly unimpressed with this mess. Did anyone else like it?
I actually turned it off after about an hour. *Yawn*
Mess is a considerate way to put it but given the source material there seems to be some struggle for coherency that I may have to give them credit for. In other words is was not an easy movie to put together. Why the producers had chosen the avenues they did, still mystifies me.

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
Gegen die Wand....

wow... it's one pretty graphic german movie.... O_O

I'm still kind of depressed/shocked about it

nutshell

I haven't read the source material, BUT...

Check out my avatar!!!

Of course I like it and this supposed "mess" mystifies me. Can you expand?

cardero

Citizen Mod
nutshell said:

Check out my avatar!!!

Everything will be explained once your understand the source material and I have always loved your avatar.

Just saw Cocoanuts again. This would be the 11th time for that particular Marx Bros. movie.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
nutshell said:

Check out my avatar!!!

It's difficult to say Nutshell. It just seemed disjointed to me. I didn't relate to the characters at all. I also found some parts of the dialogue exceeding complex. I remember thinking, "Well, they just lost 95% of their audience right there." (It was in an alley with the masked guy and some lady, specifically.) Although, it is a beautifully shot movie, I found the acting quite flat.

For example, "Scent of a woman" starring Al Pacino came on a few nights back. Even though this was the third or forth time I have seen it, I was instantly transfixed by Pacino's amazing performance as a bitter, blind, ex-military man. (The young man in it was also quite wonderful and complimented Pacino perfectly.) Aside from this it is beautifully shot and is a great story. (The scene near the end during the mock trial is brilliant and I find it personally, quite moving.)

My point is, the viewer bonds immediately with a great performance and has to "cozy up" to actors when their acting is "flat" and two-dimensional. WIth V for Vendenta, I got bored before I got cozy.

cardero

Citizen Mod
YmirGF said:
It's difficult to say Nutshell. It just seemed disjointed to me. I didn't relate to the characters at all. I also found some parts of the dialogue exceeding complex. I remember thinking, "Well, they just lost 95% of their audience right there." (It was in an alley with the masked guy and some lady, specifically.) Although, it is a beautifully shot movie, I found the acting quite flat.

It was that same scene that I new I was in for some "deep hurting". The main problem with “V” was that the source material weaves a very involved storyline. Characters are fully realized in the graphic novel and it was too much for a two hour movie to handle. Scenes were not in order (why did they do this?), characters from the book completely forgotten (but essential to the story) and a disgraceful ending that almost made Alan Moore cut off his writing hand never to pen another word. Costumes, dialogue, settings and even the acting, I had no problem with. V for Vendetta is a very delicate story to tell and if I knew the producers were going to go in that direction, I would rather it not have been visualized. Mrscardero read the graphic novel shortly after I saw the movie and loved it but didn’t get the opportunity to see it in the theaters. Now they are running commercials for the DVD and I ashamed to show it to her, let alone have to endure another reviewing. Though I believe Nutshell has an advantage over most. Nutshell watched the movie first and enjoyed it and if he enjoyed the movie, there is no doubt in my mind that he will be overwhelmed by a complete understanding of the graphic novel.

BrandonE

King of Parentheses
My wife and I watched Enemy of the State and The Birdcage on AMC this weekend. We'd seen both before, but they were still both fun to watch.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Silent Hill - I was sorely disappointed with it. We're big fans of the game, and despite the fact that the set design and cinematography was near-perfect, the storyline was horrible. I was also disappointed because it boasts a great cast, but there's only so much that they can do.

Benchwarmers - Actually better than I thought it would be. I thought it was overall mediocre, with equal amount of moments where we rolled our eyes and equal amount of moments where we laughed out loud. I was VERY annoyed with Jon Heder's character, but I actually liked David Spade's character a little. The movie is a Happy Gilmore production, so it being manufactured by Adam Sandler should explain things here.

Scary Movie 4 - Exactly what I expected given that we've seen the first three. Stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid humor.............but sometimes the brain needs to shut down, I guess. :D I rather liked the opening scene with Dr. Phil and Shaq stuck in a spoof scene from Saw - there have been plenty of opportunities for Shaq to show his sense of humor, but Dr. Phil? I'd always seen him as taking himself soooooo seriously, so his part was a hoot.

The rest of the film was pretty much Craig Bierko making a complete ******* of himself. Not the greatest film series (given that Airplane perfected this humor), but adequate and just what we asked for.

Peace,
Mystic

evearael

We saw American History X and Constantine. Constantine was rather boring. American History X was a very good movie addressing a very disturbing subject... and definitely not for the kiddies Mild spoiler, highlight to read: the story surrounds a white supremecist played by Edward Norton who finally realizes how thoroughly wrong racism is...

Booko

Deviled Hen
BrandonE said:
My wife and I watched Enemy of the State and The Birdcage on AMC this weekend. We'd seen both before, but they were still both fun to watch.

I love both of those. I saw part of The Birdcage this weekend...tuned in too late.

I finally got to take my daughter to see Step Up this weekend. The story isn't bad, the acting fair, but I rate it a 3-stars just to see the dancing. My daughter says she means to kidnap the choreographer.

Much of the dancing is hip hop, but there's a good share of ballet and jazz as well, and the final scene is a great fusion of those forms.

It's a good fun movie.

Not good for small children, though.

nutshell

I love Birdcage - lots of fun.

My wife and I saw Little Miss Sunshine and loved it. She prefers Steve Carell with a beard now. :)

cardero

Citizen Mod
Yokai Monsters Vol. 3: Along With Ghosts
(Japanese-Horror 1969)
Probably the weakest entry of the series. It had an engaging storyline but the ghosts characters that were used in the first two films were not used in this film. It was evident that there were budget concerns.

Mrscardero and I are still plowing through The Adventures Of Briscoe County Jr. series DVDs and we are still enjoying the episodes but a steady diet of Bruce Campbell and westerns can't be good for the psyche. Yesterday, I was arguing with mrscardero about where she left the keys to my horse.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
A few good men with a cast of luminaries.

I never tire of seeing Nicholson and also feel it was definitely one of Tom Cruises best performances. Chilling storyline. It is hard not to see Nicholson's character's position, even if he does relish his job a tad too much.

Path to 9/11: Part One
I have to admit that this was MUCH better than I expected. I felt the accusations levelled at Clinton were quite fair and rather astute. I kept thinking how 9/11 was more a response to Clinton's administration, than it was a response to George W's.

In all honesty, prior to 9/11 I had written off George W as an intellectual fly-weight. Georgey had only been in the White House for what... 9 months? Hardly enough time to tick off America's enemies to the extent of warranting a 9/11. Heck, George was probably still trying to figure out where the fresh towels and bathrooms were. (He probably STILL IS.) Nope, the planning of 9/11 began, imho, DURING the Clinton administration and was an attack on his bungled policies. I suspect that the terrorist misjudged George W. as a weak man who would not respond, or know how to respond. Well, the rest is history. I certainly could be wrong.

sahra-t

/me loves frubals
Beerfest.

Weird plot, but oddly entertaining. It has the ability to laugh at itself, which means you can feel comfortable laughing too. Never a classic but it'd kill 2 hours.

cardero

Citizen Mod
sahra-t said:
Beerfest.

Weird plot, but oddly entertaining. It has the ability to laugh at itself, which means you can feel comfortable laughing too. Never a classic but it'd kill 2 hours.

There seems to be a whole bunch of "beer" related movies coming out now.

nutshell

cardero said:
There seems to be a whole bunch of "beer" related movies coming out now.

I know! I think the beer industry is just jealous of the success wine had with Sideways.

BrandonE

King of Parentheses
nutshell said:
My wife and I saw Little Miss Sunshine and loved it. She prefers Steve Carell with a beard now. :)
Glad to hear that. It was a great movie.

It will take another film or two with a bearded Carrell to establish, but I think Steve Carrell may follow the "Robin Williams beard rule". Funny roles, no beard; serious roles, beard. There are few exceptions for Robin, but it mostly holds together as a rule. Think about it...

Djamila

Bosnjakinja
Kinky Boots - absolutely hilarious.

"I'm sorry, it's just that we don't have transvestites in Northampton."
"Darling, you're never more than 3 meters away from a transvestite."
"Well, if there are as many transvestites as you say... and I mean, not in a night of the living dead sense, do you think there's a niche market for well-made women's shoes...for men?"