• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Movies You've Seen Recently

• Thread starter angellous_evangellous
  • Start date

Skwim

Veteran Member
I just saw the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.

girl_with_the_dragon_tattoo_ver3.jpg
I did too.
icon13.gif
Hopefully the Hollywood version will be better.

Skwim

Veteran Member
My thought was that I hope Hollywood doesn't butcher it too badly. Personally I liked the Swedish version.
I found the Swedish version totally lacking in the tension that Larsson created in the book. Also, the movie barely used Dirch Frode, the lawyer. In all, I thought the pace was too slow, and the time could have been better spent fleshing out the characters, and perhaps including more story elements. As for the actors, I thought all were good choices.

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
OK, I hadn't read the books first. Most of the time when I have, I am similarly disappointed in what the filmmakers choose to include/exclude.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I did too.
icon13.gif
Hopefully the Hollywood version will be better.
I thought it was kind of ok, but I haven't read the book. It had good actors, dark scenes that were difficult to watch, and a decent ending. I think the length was a bit much, and some of the action scenes were low budget.

Skwim

Veteran Member
OK, I hadn't read the books first. Most of the time when I have, I am similarly disappointed in what the filmmakers choose to include/exclude.
R - E - A - D the books first. Or if nothing else invest in just the books. They are fantastic fun.

Same goes for you, Penumbra.

Last edited:

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I read Lord of the Rings and didn't like them. But I liked the movies. When I read, I prefer non-fiction, and when I watch movies, I prefer fiction.

Mr. Hair

Renegade Cavalcade
harrypotterandthehalfbljk.jpg

Rented this a few days ago and was nicely surprised by it. Although I don't consider myself a fan of the series*, I've watched all and enjoyed all of the movies. (Except for that loathsome first one) But this was the only one that I think went beyond being "a good Harry Potter movie" and managed to be a good movie in its own right, independent from the original book. Which it was, I found, far superior too.

They managed to actually fit in a decent, self-contained story into this one, unlike IV and V which (although enjoyable) felt a little like a semi-random bundle of highlights from the books, and unlike the novel which substituted "story" for "unforgiving slog". In particular, I really enjoyed the increased focus on the characters and dialogue - and a lot of the background humour - as compared to, well, any of the other films. This also incidentally makes it a nice companion piece to the preceding film, which is far more action-y and far less talk-y.

So yeah, not amazing, but surprisingly good. I'm considering opening up my poor abused student wallet and buying my own copy to watch on its own, and just ignoring the rest of the movie franchise.

*With that said, I do own my very own replica Gryffindor scarf. Because, you know, nerd.

gnomon

Un Chien Andalou - waste of time. French art house should just be called obsessive fart snorting.

Anyway:
[youtube][youtube]l8Ra6TsdEts[/youtube]
YouTube - HAWK THE SLAYER * Trailer[youtube]

Thank you Netflix for bringing back bad, lovable movies from my childhood. This movie was really bad.

edit: Still sat through the whole thing. Even had a soda and Cheetos while watching it. I own Krull. That's really bad.

dust1n

Zindīq
Today:

Bob Roberts (******* amazing)
Lupen the III: Castle something... (******* amazing)
Son of Rambo (******* amazing)

Mister_T

Forum Relic
Premium Member
I saw Machete on Sunday. Had everything I like in a Robert Rodriguez movie: Violence, naked chicks and Cheech. :p Purposely over-the-top and it was pulled off well.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Just watched a very well acted film with a HECK OF A SURPRISE ENDING:

Remember Me:
A romantic drama set in New York City during the summer of 2001, where Tyler, a rebellious young man, meets Ally through a twist of fate. Her spirit helps him heal after a family tragedy, though soon the circumstances that brought them together threaten to tear them apart.

Remember Me (2010)

If you want to experience the full emotional impact of this understated and yet beautiful film, resist temptation and DO NOT READ THE FULL SYNOPSIS of the movie. You'll thank me for that later!