• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My God Why have you forsaken me

LegionOnomaMoi

Veteran Member
Premium Member
so he wasn't forsaken?
In Aramaic, the word "forsaken" can mean something entirely different. What Jesus said could be translated as "Why hast thou forsaken me?" but a more proper interpretation of the underlying aramaic is "Why haven't you killed these *********** executing me?"

waitasec

Veteran Member
In Aramaic, the word "forsaken" can mean something entirely different. What Jesus said could be translated as "Why hast thou forsaken me?" but a more proper interpretation of the underlying aramaic is "Why haven't you killed these *********** executing me?"

a few pages back i pointed out in luke's account, jesus tells the guy hanging next to him that they will meet up in paradise later on that day...
can you imagine how thrilled he must have felt...only to hear jesus yell, 'why have you forsaken me?'
what a let down... :thud:

Renji

Really? Your ******* interpretation contradicts what Jesus said then: "Father, forgive them for they know not of what they are doing." If he wants them to be grilled, why ask those people to be forgiven. hmmm, lame.

Renji

Jesus spoke modern English? Interesting.

No. But there is an equivalent of that in his language. It wouldn't appear in the English version of the Bible if it hasn't been spoken by Jesus (in aramaic) and written by the writers of the gospel. Where's your common sense?

waitasec

Veteran Member
Really? Your ******* interpretation contradicts what Jesus said then: "Father, forgive them for they know not of what they are doing." If he wants them to be grilled, why ask those people to be forgiven. hmmm, lame.

mark and matthew contradict luke...

luke's audience was a roman/greco audience
you don't find jesus saying...'i came for the lost sheep of israel' in luke...but you do in mark and matthew.

john was smoking the hookah laced with hasheesh :D

Renji

you don't find jesus saying...'i came for the lost sheep of israel' in luke...but you do in mark and matthew.

That's because they have different way of explaining things/ writing. You can even notice that by just reading the beginning of their gospels.:sleep:

waitasec

Veteran Member
That's because they have different way of explaining things/ writing. You can even notice that by just reading the beginning of their gospels.:sleep:

maybe you should go back to bed?
;)

just kidding.

in all seriousness lawrence, i am of the opinion that the gospels were for the purpose of propaganda each in their own way trying to reconcile why god allowed for the destruction of the temple.

Thief

Rogue Theologian

What?... smoking ain't allowed in heaven?

Last edited:

muhammad_isa

Veteran Member
Who am I, I petitioned, that God should even consider my very existence as important to Him that He would send His Son in my place to suffer my death penalty?

Sent "His Son" in your place? Surely that's irrational Roman / Greek dogma?
We can talk about God having .. sons, daughters, uncles, aunties, mothers, fathers .. relatively meaningless to me, I'm afraid.

Spiritual progress comes in many levels and that according to the blessings of the Holy Spirit who is our teacher.
What does that mean? Have you met "the Holy Spirit" ?

look3467

Premium Member
Sent "His Son" in your place? Surely that's irrational Roman / Greek dogma?
We can talk about God having .. sons, daughters, uncles, aunties, mothers, fathers .. relatively meaningless to me, I'm afraid.

What does that mean? Have you met "the Holy Spirit" ?

Based on your answer, I rightfully questioned your born again experience.

To have questioned my substitute (Jesus) for my death sentence is in not have understandings for the purpose of His comming.

And yes, a few posts back, I explained my experence when I encountered the presence of the Holy Spirit.

Blessings, AJ

idav

Being
Premium Member
so he wasn't forsaken?
Sometimes an audience might read into something you are quoting. Usually there would be a reason for quoting something. Did Jesus or the audience really care what the context of the Psalm really was? Really the psalm sounds like he would be praying for god to be near.

waitasec

Veteran Member
Sometimes an audience might read into something you are quoting. Usually there would be a reason for quoting something. Did Jesus or the audience really care what the context of the Psalm really was? Really the psalm sounds like he would be praying for god to be near.

i think the selling point for quoting the psalm was that he "fulfilled" this particular prophecy...
this is what jesus says if you put mark and luke together...

"today you will be in paradise with me...
god why have you forsaken me...? into your hands I commit my spirit."

these gospels were not supposed to be read as 1 story but 4 different stories

putting that psalm is an indication that the audience mark was intended for was a jewish audience
underlining jesus' as the one who fulfilled the "prophecy"