• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My views on homosexuality

Dan4reason

Facts not Faith
You guys are completely self-righteous! I NEVER said that being homosexual is not natural. I never said ANYTHING bigoted or hateful! But, in your self-righteous indignation, you immediately jump and attack anyone that does not 100% agree with whatever you spout.

Whether you like it or not, a homosexual act is a choice. The individual chooses to be in that relationship. They chose to participate; being homosexual does not mean you lose the choice not to participate. They may desire to participate, but they still maintain a choice! They will have to come to terms with the consequences of breaking whatever "rules" of their religion.

It seems to me that you think that gays cannot choose their attraction but can choose whether to participate in sexual acts. Now the question is, why would God make anyone gay?

Dan4reason

Facts not Faith
Probably the same answer they give when someone asks why god would create children born with ailments and deformities; "Original sin, h'yuk."

Yeah.:rolleyes:

Original sin: Punishing people for the mistakes of long dead ancestors who were tested by God while having no knowledge of good and evil.:facepalm:

How does anyone get themselves fooled into believing this nonsense?

beenie

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
^ This has me stumped as well. I've heard people say "it's a test" if a person is gay or a child has some abnormality. Who is the test for? The parents or the innocent child? Surely the child did nothing to deserve a lifetime of difficulties. :(

I'm truly stumped by this.

Dan4reason

Facts not Faith
^ This has me stumped as well. I've heard people say "it's a test" if a person is gay or a child has some abnormality. Who is the test for? The parents or the innocent child? Surely the child did nothing to deserve a lifetime of difficulties. :(

I'm truly stumped by this.

Thinking from the religious perspective it is a test, that is incredibly hard. Maybe they are gay because of actions in their past lives. Of course none of these explanations are adequate for me.

The best explanation is that the human reproductive process which evolved by evolution has glitches. Sometimes this will introduce good mutations which will aid evolution. Sometimes it will produce bad mutations that harm the child evolutionarily. There is no God-like being overseeing this process. This expanation makes far more sense and has lots of evidence.:cool:

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Homosexuality is seen by many as an "abomination", as an act against the "laws of nature".
You're aware that the people who wrote that in the Bible also "saw" the world as flat...
It's amazing what the perspective of time, human social development and empirical awareness can do for humanity to keep us from excluding and judging people unnecessarily...

Greyn

South of Providence
It seems to me that you think that gays cannot choose their attraction but can choose whether to participate in sexual acts. Now the question is, why would God make anyone gay?

I don't know and I am not sure anyone can give a good answer to that question (but, I do not believe too many people are going to say people are made gay because of original sin). God's complete design is beyond my ability to comprehend.

And your understanding of what I have been saying is completely correct.

NemisisQ

BY MY COMMAND......
My view on homosexuality depends on one factor.

If homosexuality is a choice, then it's a sin.
If it isn't a choice, then it isn't a sin. God would not create someone who could not help but sin.

Could someone please provide some evidence proving that it isn't a choice or is a choice? I need to clear this up for myself.

And if it is a choice, does this mean that I think that homosexuals will go to Hell (if there is a Hell)? Certainly not. A homosexual would be just as much a sinner as everyone else, and has an equal chance of salvation.
Ur asking a question that old geezers in the past that use to thought women are borned evil, black is a sign of a omen or the world use to be flat??? The world is rotating, it's time to think anew.

FlyingTeaPot

Irrational Rationalist. Educated Fool.
My view on homosexuality depends on one factor.

If homosexuality is a choice, then it's a sin.
If it isn't a choice, then it isn't a sin. God would not create someone who could not help but sin.

Could someone please provide some evidence proving that it isn't a choice or is a choice? I need to clear this up for myself.

And if it is a choice, does this mean that I think that homosexuals will go to Hell (if there is a Hell)? Certainly not. A homosexual would be just as much a sinner as everyone else, and has an equal chance of salvation.

Are some sins really that bad? Even if it is a sin according to you, does it mean that they are bad people? Or just sinners by your definition?

Dan4reason

Facts not Faith
I don't know and I am not sure anyone can give a good answer to that question (but, I do not believe too many people are going to say people are made gay because of original sin). God's complete design is beyond my ability to comprehend.

And your understanding of what I have been saying is completely correct.

That is a good answer from a Christian perspective. I mean, why would we mere morals expect to completely everything an infinite being does.

However, notice that homosexuality is perfectly explained within a secular scientific perspective.

I have always viewed homosexuality as a little creepy but that is just my biased subjective emotional reaction. I do not see anything objectively evil or wrong with people of the same sex making out.

In my opinion, the underlying reason people have such problems with homosexuality is because they think its gross.:rolleyes:

Vile Atheist

Loud and Obnoxious
The underlying reason people have problems with homosexuality is ignorance, IMO.

Probably in most cases, yes, but I think it has more to do with an arrogance of wanting everyone else to conform to their moral standards. For me, it's all about allowing people to make moral choices about what they do, within the reasonable and acceptable societal bounds of not harming anyone else ("Your rights end where mine start").

I wouldn't have sex with another man. Homosexuality isn't a choice and I wasn't born that way. If it was a choice, I wouldn't choose that path, personally. But if two consenting adults of the same gender want to get it on in the privacy of their own home, it's none of my business or anyone else's, no matter my views or theirs on the matter.

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
Please show me where I said anything bigoted. If you cant, then you are perpetuating the exact behavior I am talking about.

Calling homosexuality a choice when clearly its not. Why didn't you answer my question? Who in their right mind would choose to be gay amongst this world of haters?

Exactly! They choose to not associate with a certain church and live their lives the way they want to. If they want to still be a part of that church, then they will have to come to terms with whatever rules the church adheres to. The choice is still in the control.

This sin't helped by religion and religious people harming the rights of homosexuals where they can by shooting down law proposals that don't affect them.

Sultan Of Swing

Are some sins really that bad? Even if it is a sin according to you, does it mean that they are bad people? Or just sinners by your definition?
“For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God” Romans 3:23
If my mind managed to wander to the conclusion that homosexuality is a sin, I would certainly not think homosexuals are "bad people". They would just be imperfect and sinners like the rest of us.

FlyingTeaPot

Irrational Rationalist. Educated Fool.
“For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God” Romans 3:23
If my mind managed to wander to the conclusion that homosexuality is a sin, I would certainly not think homosexuals are "bad people". They would just be imperfect and sinners like the rest of us.

Well, what is the worry then? Your views on homosexuality hardly matter. As long as you are content to let them have equal rights, I don't think anyone would have a problem with your views on homosexuality, whatever they might be.

Last edited:

Sultan Of Swing

Well, then, what is the worry then? Your views on homosexuality hardly matter. As long as you are content to let them have equal rights, I don't think anyone would have a problem with your views on homosexuality, whatever they might be.
Haha, yeah you're right.

Yeah, no matter how detestable ANYONE thinks homosexuality is, the point of free will is that we should be allowed to live and do as we please, and the Law should not prevent sins which have no real negative impact on others or oneself, like homosexuality. If we choose to sin, then let us. A country's laws should not be based on religious beliefs.

waitasec

Veteran Member
Haha, yeah you're right.

Yeah, no matter how detestable ANYONE thinks homosexuality is, the point of free will is that we should be allowed to live and do as we please,
if it is detestable to anyone, then don't do it... :rolleyes:
do you think heterosexual sex acts are not understood as detestable in the eyes of certain homosexuals?
so where do we hold the standard?
i say, have consenting sex with an adult...
seems pretty logical to me...

and the Law should not prevent sins which have no real negative impact on others or oneself, like homosexuality.

exactly.
If we choose to sin, then let us. A country's laws should not be based on religious beliefs.

i'm not so sure about that...
"for all have sinned..." romans 3:23
pretty much says, no one is perfect...however people do try the best they can with what they have.

Sultan Of Swing

i'm not so sure about that...
"for all have sinned..." romans 3:23
pretty much says, no one is perfect...however people do try the best they can with what they have.
I'm saying what a country's laws should be prohibiting, not what people should or should not be doing.