• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My views on homosexuality

doorknob

skeptical
wow so if you are hetero you are lucky because you can opt to get married to the opposite sex, but if you are homo you must abstinent from sex for the rest of your life or marry the opposite sex and force your self to have sex, that would feel the same way for you that a heterosexual would feel about sex with the same sex. :( wow that just sounds like bad luck to me. So either way you are getting punished for being born gay.

I guess heterosexuals are able to control them selves better since they all prescribe to abstinence for the rest of their lives instead of getting married right?

Thanks for clearing that up for me

Otherright

Otherright
There is no genetic marker on any chromosomal allele that is homosexual. There are psychological markers that create a genetic predisposition for homosexuality, but homosexuality is in and of itself, a choice. It isn't genetic.

Having said that, I don't view that choice as bad personally. I view the misuse of sex as bad, as it will most certainly lead to suffering.

djwj80

Gay people are NOT asking for church approved marriages. They are asking for civil liberties. They are asking for a right as a human being to have something that other people are allowed to have. The fact is, the reason why gays can't get married in America is because the people holding the cards fear that it will diminish the value of heterosexual marriage. Considering however that about 73% of marriages in America end in divorce, i think maybe it is time to realize that just because somebody is heterosexual, does not mean that they view marriage as a holy sacrament and have any more right to get married than someone else. Just my opinion.

djwj80

homosexuality is not a choice. I never understand when people talk about "abomination" and "sexual sin" because 90% of people in this world commit the same. According to the catholic church it is a sin to have sex outside of marriage, it is a sin to masturbate, it is a sin to fantasize about a married person, it is a sin to use birth control. So tell me then why heterosexuals are any better. Not to mention that while they might have sex with the opposite gender, if they commit the same sexual acts, why is it any different?

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
There is no genetic marker on any chromosomal allele that is homosexual. There are psychological markers that create a genetic predisposition for homosexuality, but homosexuality is in and of itself, a choice. It isn't genetic.

Having said that, I don't view that choice as bad personally. I view the misuse of sex as bad, as it will most certainly lead to suffering.

Do you choose what foods you find delicious or disgusting? How could taste or desire be considered choice?

Otherright

Otherright
Do you choose what foods you find delicious or disgusting? How could taste or desire be considered choice?

Look chief, I'm telling you, its not genetic. My best friend co-authored a paper on this a couple years back. The closest that exists are psychological markers that can create a predisposition, but there is no gay gene.

Furthermore, I could care less what a person does with their bodies. My own wife doesn't have a sexual preference. She's dated both men and women, and is equally attracted to both. But that is choice, not genetics.

I said the misuse of sex was bad. Coercing sex, forcing sex, having sex with someone who can't consent, using sex for power. These are misuses of sex and will ultimately lead to suffering. That didn't say anything about gender.

David M

Look chief, I'm telling you, its not genetic. My best friend co-authored a paper on this a couple years back. The closest that exists are psychological markers that can create a predisposition, but there is no gay gene.

Furthermore, I could care less what a person does with their bodies. My own wife doesn't have a sexual preference. She's dated both men and women, and is equally attracted to both. But that is choice, not genetics.

I said the misuse of sex was bad. Coercing sex, forcing sex, having sex with someone who can't consent, using sex for power. These are misuses of sex and will ultimately lead to suffering. That didn't say anything about gender.

Then your "friend" is wrong, multiple papers have been published that show there is a genetic component to homosexuality even though there is no single "homosexual gene".

Otherright

Otherright
Then your "friend" is wrong, multiple papers have been published that show there is a genetic component to homosexuality even though there is no single "homosexual gene".

Isn't that what I just said; that there was no homosexual gene, but that there were genetic markers that contribute to homosexuality psychologically.

I doubt he's wrong. His grad work was based on the mapping techniques of the human genome and he solved several problems. Nowadays, he's the world's leading expert on gluten-based protein synthesis techniques. He's authored or co-authored a couple dozen papers.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member

Look squirt, even if wasn't genetic, that still doesn't make it a choice. Again, do you choose what foods you find delicious or disgusting? Of course you don't, nor do you have a "pizza gene". it's not an either or situation.

gnomon

The caveat of your post being, of course, that it is not a scientific statement.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member

"Choice"?

I can only assume that you don't have much knowledge of homosexuality. Homosexuals do not choose to be homosexuals.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Isn't that what I just said; that there was no homosexual gene, but that there were genetic markers that contribute to homosexuality psychologically.

I doubt he's wrong. His grad work was based on the mapping techniques of the human genome and he solved several problems. Nowadays, he's the world's leading expert on gluten-based protein synthesis techniques. He's authored or co-authored a couple dozen papers.

Maybe you can have him explain to you the definition of the word "choice."

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
Look chief, I'm telling you, its not genetic.

Which means that it is genetic! If there are genetic markers that contribute to homosexuality then homosexuality is genetic (at least in part). I am not claiming that the paper that your friend wrote is wrong. I have no way of knowing, but I imagine that what your friend wrote in that paper is essentially correct, and it is you that has misunderstood it.

averageJOE

zombie
How and when did you choose to be heterosexual?

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
fantôme profane;2470524 said:
It depends on no such thing. You have a choice on whether or not to put gravy on your fries, does that mean gravy is a sin?
Exactly. some men sleep with men, some women sleep with women, some sleep with both, and unfortunately for the rest of us some like to know what goes between the sheets of others.
That isn't a valid analogy.
why not? isn't it a matter of preferences?
it can be a choice, it can be an instinct as well, as you may claim. it can be both.
Homosexuality is seen by many as an "abomination", as an act against the "laws of nature".
Maybe under the third reich and the Nuremberg laws.
Putting gravy on your fries isn't. To choose to do it, and reject heterosexuality.
I think I can solve you the enigma.
if men or women 'reject' heterosexuality, its pretty safe to assume they are homosexual. if they choose to have sex with members of the same sex, it means that they enjoy a larger scope of sexuality, it certainly does not mean they have rejected heterosexuality.
would be a sin, in my opinion, by openly defying God's intended plan. But if it isn't a choice, and is something people are born with, then it is no sin, and is instead just the beautiful variety that God has gifted each and everyone of us with
There you have it. I guess the issue is how far you are willing to take a biological phenomenon and place it in the religious debate.

Last edited:

idav

Being
Premium Member
If it isn't a choice, then it isn't a sin. God would not create someone who could not help but sin.
There are humans born with all sorts of conditions that effect their predispositions for certain things. People have all sorts of different brain conditions that might make them do all sorts of things and many of them fall under sin. There are even people born with both genders.

beenie

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

I love how "experts" ignore the psychological markers as "choice" while physical markers are "genes". One wonders why mental health is still stigmatized. Psychological markers are as real as physical ones, and if a person has predisposition towards homosexuality (and I'm not calling homosexuality an illness, just a difference in predisposition), they will be more likely to lean that way. Period.

Really? If it's a choice and no genetic predisposition, why isn't everyone like your wife?

I have a hard time telling people not to participate in sex just because they're homosexual...what a severe punishment just because religion says so!

To each his own.