• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'New party, who dis?' 29-year-old Ocasio-Cortez mocks aging Joe Lieberman

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
It seems to be so in the US. Here it's more accepted to have "tried" something different or to mix ideas. That's why there's room for so many political parties.
Aye, we're becoming a less tolerant society regarding
having once said the wrong thing.
And the "wrong thing" changes from time to time.
But this doesn't seem to drive our marginalizing
political 3rd parties.

Jumi

I wonder what the US folks who equate social democracy with communism would think about the Swedish attempts of Social Democrats to get the Liberals and the Leftist party to join their coalition of parties to form a government, they have such disagreements that it is easier to form one with some others... in the US it seems both are seen as the same. Well, nope.

Stefan Löfven defends deal with Sweden's centre-liberal parties ... it must be weird for an US reader. :)

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
A radical idea.....
Presidents should have both private sector and political experience.
Oh, they also shouldn't be a war monger, incompetent, volatile, crooked, grabby or commie.

Well, I guess that rules out Nixon, then (except for the commie part). He just celebrated his 106th birthday the other day.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Trump's orangeness is a choice. There are no orange people that I'm aware of.

You never saw these guys?

3504.jpg

Watchmen

Premium Member
I wonder what the US folks who equate social democracy with communism would think about the Swedish attempts of Social Democrats to get the Liberals and the Leftist party to join their coalition of parties to form a government, they have such disagreements that it is easier to form one with some others... in the US it seems both are seen as the same. Well, nope.

Stefan Löfven defends deal with Sweden's centre-liberal parties ... it must be weird for an US reader. :)
Fascinating read. Thanks for posting. It’s also interesting to see how other democracies operate.

TheresOnlyNow

The Mind Is Everything. U R What U Think
Aye, we're becoming a less tolerant society regarding
having once said the wrong thing.
And the "wrong thing" changes from time to time.
But this doesn't seem to drive our marginalizing
political 3rd parties.
Agreed. Political Correctness is a form of Fascism today. And the programming is most obvious in our colleges and universities.
Someone's personal opinion expressed in a public domain like the net, a forum, a blog, an interview in network media or even live feed, that doesn't comport with the acceptable standards du'jor can cost one their job. Or make them have to apologize publicly and then enter a thought re-education type situation. Like that recalled in Orwell's novel ,1984.

Remember Jerry Seinfeld? Not that long ago there was an entertainment article about his old self-titled comedy show. It was on air something like 17 years or so?
By today's standards that style of comedy would not be tolerated. "Soup Nazi", being one example.

Speaking of Seinfeld.

Watchmen

Premium Member
Agreed. Political Correctness is a form of Fascism today. And the programming is most obvious in our colleges and universities.
Someone's personal opinion expressed in a public domain like the net, a forum, a blog, an interview in network media or even live feed, that doesn't comport with the acceptable standards du'jor can cost one their job. Or make them have to apologize publicly and then enter a thought re-education type situation. Like that recalled in Orwell's novel ,1984.

Remember Jerry Seinfeld? Not that long ago there was an entertainment article about his old self-titled comedy show. It was on air something like 17 years or so?
By today's standards that style of comedy would not be tolerated. "Soup Nazi", being one example.

Speaking of Seinfeld.
Speaking of colleges and universities, they certainly are pro-diversity unless it’s diversity of thought.

Cooky

Veteran Member
Speaking of colleges and universities, they certainly are pro-diversity unless it’s diversity of thought.

And then with their "cultural appropriation" who knows what to expect.

Hey, if anyone can watch this video for more than 2 minutes, then they're probably a liberal. I heard: bla, bla, bla,bla... Then I tried really hard to listen but felt like I'd rather jump off a bridge. Couldn't do it!

Last edited by a moderator:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Well, I guess that rules out Nixon, then (except for the commie part). He just celebrated his 106th birthday the other day.
While not ideal, he did have both private & public sector experience.
Few presidents meet all my listed criteria.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
That's substandard business experience.
One needs to see what it's like running an
above board business, with all the regulation.

Yeah, I suppose. I can see the argument you're making here. It's similar with military personnel who criticize politicians who have never seen combat, yet advocate going to war.

But then again, I guess the same analogous criticism can be applied in any number of situations. Politicians talking about reforming the criminal justice system even though they've never been in prison or victims of crime. Or they might bring up race relations even though they've never been a person of color. They might address welfare reform/homelessness even though they've never been poor or homeless. (Ocasio-Cortez has faced similar criticisms, as they say she's not really some poor kid from the Bronx, but actually grew up in a life of privilege and ease.)

It's what Charles Schulz used to refer to as an "unmarried marriage counselor." But does the lack of personal experience automatically disqualify someone from having an opinion? I'm not entirely convinced of that. As long as a person can observe and has enough empathy to listen to others' experiences, isn't that sufficient?

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
His color is nonetheless linked to race.
But the issue of racism really arises when
used as invective, as with the particular post.
What race is his colour linked to? He chooses to paint himself orange. "Race" is not a choice; it's just the way one is born.

Sorry but I think this is kind of silly, especially given the context it was used in (e.g. orange "stain") because I imagine that every door knob, wall or counter top Trump touches are covered in orange stains from all that bronzing cream. ;)

Last edited: