• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No to Fake Meat

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I do think that about cats, and I'd be seriously pissed if someone thought my cats lives were more valuable or even as valuable as mine. I do not think cats don't have a BRAIN but they do not have a mind. There's a difference. I don't agree with your assessment of animals by the way. I don't believe they have a mind though I do think they have a brain of course.

You are most welcome to your beliefs

ChristineM

Premium Member
But humans do have aids. What aids have sharks created to be on land. Tell me that and I will happily agree that a shark is as good as you.

Science is a wonderful thing but is not needed by many animals to survive in what humans consider inhospitable conditions.

On an equal footing in their environment, sharks are top predator without the aids that humans need

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
It's very relevant. Dogs don't have feelings they cant love you.
Dogs have feelings and are capable of experiencing love. Your claims that other animals (especially mammals) don't have feelings is absurd and demonstrably wrong. They have the brain capacity and structure for it. They demonstrate emotions such as love, shame and grief. When a dog wags it's tail, it's showing you that it's excited or happy, for example.

Tell me again how you're no better than your dog. I love that story.
I've never said that anywhere here.

Ignatius A

Science is a wonderful thing but is not needed by many animals to survive in what humans consider inhospitable conditions.

On an equal footing in their environment, sharks are top predator without the aids that humans need
Animals have no such science at their disposal.

I've conceded that but the opposite is not true is it? Sharks have developed no aids to help them out of the water. They aren't superior to humans. Are you afraid to offend sharks?

Ignatius A

Dogs have feelings and are capable of experiencing love. Your claims that other animals (especially mammals) don't have feelings is absurd and demonstrably wrong. They have the brain capacity and structure for it. They demonstrate emotions such as love, shame and grief. When a dog wags it's tail, it's showing you that it's excited or happy, for example.

I've never said that anywhere here.
Then why isnt my dog offended when I call him stupid?

Oh ok so you are superior to your dog. Great.

ChristineM

Premium Member
Animals have no such science at their disposal.

I've conceded that but the opposite is not true is it? Sharks have developed no aids to help them out of the water. They aren't superior to humans. Are you afraid to offend sharks?

I said on equal footing. As you say sharks have not developed aids, so no aids allowed for humans. In your environment a shark is useless, in the sharks environment humans are useless. Its horses for courses

I never said they were superior, superior is your choice of words.

Am i afraid of sharks? I've swum with the biggest of them all. However, despite knowing how to discourage a shark i would be quite worried if i was dropped in the middle of a feeding frenzy.

Ignatius A

I said on equal footing. As you say sharks have not developed aids, so no aids allowed for humans. In your environment a shark is useless, in the sharks environment humans are useless. Its horses for courses

I never said they were superior, superior is your choice of words.

Am i afraid of sharks? I've swum with the biggest of them all. However, despite knowing how to discourage a shark i would be quite worried if i was dropped in the middle of a feeding frenzy.
But you only insist on humans being in their environment not the revers. That's weak.

Good because they aren't superior

Again you insist on your myopic example. Again, weak

ChristineM

Premium Member
But you only insist on humans being in their environment not the revers. That's weak.

Good because they aren't superior

Again you insist on your myopic example. Again, weak

Why is it weak?

Tell you what, you stik with childish belief and I'll stick with the science of which i have provided a wiki based on several studies while what you've done is stomp your foot

Secret Chief

Degrow!
I do not see minds in animals, any animals.
Ignoring the fact that humans are animals, given that mind means

"a
: the element or complex of elements in an individual that feels, perceives, thinks, wills, and especially reasons
b
: the conscious mental events and capabilities in an organism
c
: the organized conscious and unconscious adaptive mental activity of an organism"

- Definition of MIND

what do you think is going on in the human cerebral cortex that isn't happening in the cerebral cortex of other mammalian species?

"The cerebral cortex, also known as the cerebral mantle, is the outer layer of neural tissue of the cerebrum of the brain in humans and other mammals. It is the largest site of neural integration in the central nervous system, and plays a key role in attention, perception, awareness, thought, memory, language, and consciousness. The cerebral cortex is the part of the brain responsible for cognition."

- Cerebral cortex - Wikipedia