• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No to Fake Meat

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
It's just a word. What word would you prefer that indicates humans are better or superior to other animals? I'm amazed at how uncomfortable you people are with the idea.

The truth that in their own environment they have the edge. Outside their environment they are useless

Ignatius A

The truth that in their own environment they have the edge. Outside their environment they are useless
Correct but we have created aids to be in their environment. Unless the sharks are working on something to aid them in being in ours I'm not very impressed. Plus they've been around a few millennia and still nothing.

Oh maybe they came up with Sharknado? No. The Jaws movies ? maybe? No. Hmmmm

ChristineM

Premium Member
Correct but we have created aids to be in their environment.

So what you are saying is science and technology make us "superior" to sharks...

So what have you invented or developed that makes you superior?

Plus they've been around a few millennia and still nothing.

And what is the need for a shark to develop the wheel or fire?

Oh maybe they came up with Sharknado? No. The Jaws movies ? maybe? No. Hmmmm

How sad.

Ignatius A

So what you are saying is science and technology make us "superior" to sharks...

So what have you invented or developed that makes you superior?

And what is the need for a shark to develop the wheel or fire?

How sad.
No we are superior to sharks because we have the capacity think and create and use technology to overcome our physical limits. Sharks haven't.

Ive built the 3 houses I've lived in in my adult life. You?

I dont know but because of both fire and the wheel humans aren't limited to where they can live like sharks are. Once again superior.

It's not sad we are superior, it's just how it is.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Ignoring the fact that humans are animals, given that mind means

"a
: the element or complex of elements in an individual that feels, perceives, thinks, wills, and especially reasons
b
: the conscious mental events and capabilities in an organism
c
: the organized conscious and unconscious adaptive mental activity of an organism"

- Definition of MIND

what do you think is going on in the human cerebral cortex that isn't happening in the cerebral cortex of other mammalian species?

"The cerebral cortex, also known as the cerebral mantle, is the outer layer of neural tissue of the cerebrum of the brain in humans and other mammals. It is the largest site of neural integration in the central nervous system, and plays a key role in attention, perception, awareness, thought, memory, language, and consciousness. The cerebral cortex is the part of the brain responsible for cognition."

- Cerebral cortex - Wikipedia

The reasoning part in A. Oh, and the will part.

Kathryn

Known:
Recognized, familiar, or within the scope of knowledge. Most people know that I am worth more than a fly is worth. I mean, other than on this thread I guess.

True:
Accurate or exact. See above.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Known:
Recognized, familiar, or within the scope of knowledge. Most people know that I am worth more than a fly is worth. I mean, other than on this thread I guess.

True:
Accurate or exact. See above.

This is fun:
True -in accordance with fact or reality
Reality - the state of things as they actually exist, as opposed to an idealistic or notional idea of them.
Thing - an inanimate material object as distinct from a living sentient being
or - an object that one need not, cannot, or does not wish to give a specific name to.

and back to your defintion:
"The definition of fact is this: A thing that is known to be true."

Now known as per knowledge - facts, information, and skills acquired through experience or education; the theoretical or practical understanding of a subject.

So your feeling has to be a fact as a thing known as true. But it is not a thing, so it is not a fact or true, as per this claim of yours:
"Thank you so much. I feel like my life is worth more than a cat's life, even my two cats. I also think it's worth more than a fly's life, or an ant's life."

ChristineM

Premium Member
No we are superior to sharks because we have the capacity think and create and use technology to overcome our physical limits. Sharks haven't.

Ive built the 3 houses I've lived in in my adult life. You?

Employed 25 people, sold my business for £17.3 million.

I dont know but because of both fire and the wheel humans aren't limited to where they can live like sharks are. Once again superior.

Horses for courses is not superior,

It's not sad we are superior, it's just how it is.

It's not sad that animal don't need technology, they live well without it

Kathryn

This is fun:
True -in accordance with fact or reality
Reality - the state of things as they actually exist, as opposed to an idealistic or notional idea of them.
Thing - an inanimate material object as distinct from a living sentient being
or - an object that one need not, cannot, or does not wish to give a specific name to.

and back to your defintion:
"The definition of fact is this: A thing that is known to be true."

Now known as per knowledge - facts, information, and skills acquired through experience or education; the theoretical or practical understanding of a subject.

So your feeling has to be a fact as a thing known as true. But it is not a thing, so it is not a fact or true, as per this claim of yours:
"Thank you so much. I feel like my life is worth more than a cat's life, even my two cats. I also think it's worth more than a fly's life, or an ant's life."

Yawn. Whatever you say, dear. You know what I know? That I would be TICKED OFF if someone decided arbitrarily that a fly's life was worth more than mine and saved the fly rather than me from a burning house. That would tick me off. And then I'd die. But hey, the fly would live!