• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No to Fake Meat

Ignatius A

Yeah, that doesn't show me that you understand all the defintions of the words as relevant.
Oh I see you have this impression that I'm supposed to show you what I understand. If you have not understood it over the last 5 days the my saying it again won't make much difference. What's clear when people work from emotion there is less room for cognition.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Oh I see you have this impression that I'm supposed to show you what I understand. If you have not understood it over the last 5 days the my saying it again won't make much difference. What's clear when people work from emotion there is less room for cognition.

Well, you don't even understand that there are different definitons of the verb be as relevant to this debate.

Ignatius A

Well, you don't even understand that there are different definitons of the verb be as relevant to this debate.
What's relevant to the debate is, are humans superior to other animals? The obvious answer is "Yes". That has been clearly obvious for a millennia, however in a world that is increasingly focused on emotion rather than cognition, people become "uncomfortable" about the question. Their discomfort is of no interest to me. Truth isnt based on what's comfortable but the people who function on emotion think it is.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
What's relevant to the debate is, are humans superior to other animals? The obvious answer is "Yes". That has been clearly obvious for a millennia, however in a world that is increasingly focused on emotion rather than cognition, people become "uncomfortable" about the question. Their discomfort is of no interest to me. Truth isnt based on what's comfortable but the people who function on emotion think so.

Well, there are several relevant defintions in play for this debate. But you can already tell which ones are relevant for a human is a person, a dog is a dog and all the other times you have used the verb be in say your post above as one example.

Ignatius A

Well, there are several relevant defintions in play for this debate. But you can already tell which ones are relevant for a human is a person, a dog is a dog and all the other times you have used the verb be in say your post above as one example.
You can rail on but all of this is because you're "uncomfortable" with the idea that humans are superior to other animals. That's what all of this is ultimately about.

Secret Chief

Degrow!
What's relevant to the debate is, are humans superior to other animals? The obvious answer is "Yes". That has been clearly obvious for a millennia, however in a world that is increasingly focused on emotion rather than cognition, people become "uncomfortable" about the question. Their discomfort is of no interest to me. Truth isnt based on what's comfortable but the people who function on emotion think it is.
The obvious answer is not "yes." Your obvious answer is "yes", as it is with other people. The answer to yet other people is "no." Those other people include me. My subjective opinion is different to your subjective opinion on the matter. I am not uncomfortable with your opinion, I don't know how you even come to this conclusion. When people choose to express opinions that are contrary to yours, that is not indicative of being uncomfortable. It is a difference of opinion, no more no less. And how you manage to make this into something to do with emotion and cognition is yet another layer of your misperception; in my opinion; which I think you will find I am entitled to. Your favourite ice cream flavour is, likewise an opinion of yours and that too does not make me uncomfortable. I'm quietly confident that a lot of your so-called obvious, cognitively-based opinions would make me uncomfortable. Not.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
You can rail on but all of this is because you're "uncomfortable" with the idea that humans are superior to other animals. That's what all of this is ultimately about.

Well, here are some of the different defintions of the verb be and I know since you use cogntion that you can explain which ones match your usages of the verb be.
In fact it can't be the case than you can't answer, because that could indicate that you can't reason and understand how to analyze your claims and that is not the case. ;)
"1 a
: to equal in meaning : have the same connotation as : SYMBOLIZE
January is the first month
let x be 10
b
: to have identity with : to constitute the same idea or object as
The first person I met was my brother.
c
: to constitute the same class as
These three books are the authoritative works on the president's life.
d
: to have a specified qualification or characterization
The leaves are green.
e
: to belong to the class of
the fish is a trout
Keeping this room clean is your responsibility.
—used regularly in senses 1a through 1e as the copula of simple predication
..."

Ignatius A

The obvious answer is not "yes." Your obvious answer is "yes", as it is with other people. The answer to yet other people is "no." Those other people include me. My subjective opinion is different to your subjective opinion on the matter. I am not uncomfortable with your opinion, I don't know how you even come to this conclusion. When people choose to express opinions that are contrary to yours, that is not indicative of being uncomfortable. It is a difference of opinion, no more no less. And how you manage to make this into something to do with emotion and cognition is yet another layer of your misperception; in my opinion; which I think you will find I am entitled to. Your favourite ice cream flavour is, likewise an opinion of yours and that too does not make me uncomfortable. I'm quietly confident that a lot of your so-called obvious, cognitively-based opinions would make me uncomfortable. Not.
Of course the obvious answer is "yes" just like the obvious answer is green to the question what color is the grass? BTW I wasn't taking to you when I said, you're uncomfortable. You get that right?

Ignatius A

Well, here are some of the different defintions of the verb be and I know since you use cogntion that you can explain which ones match your usages of the verb be.
In fact it can't be the case than you can't answer, because that could indicate that you can't reason and understand how to analyze your claims and that is not the case. ;)
"1 a
: to equal in meaning : have the same connotation as : SYMBOLIZE
January is the first month
let x be 10
b
: to have identity with : to constitute the same idea or object as
The first person I met was my brother.
c
: to constitute the same class as
These three books are the authoritative works on the president's life.
d
: to have a specified qualification or characterization
The leaves are green.
e
: to belong to the class of
the fish is a trout
Keeping this room clean is your responsibility.
—used regularly in senses 1a through 1e as the copula of simple predication
..."
I notice nothing there proves humans arent superior to other animals.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
I notice nothing there proves humans arent superior to other animals.

Well, here is the problem. You haven't explained how you notice it? So what did you actually notice and how did you notice it?

And by the way are truth and proof the exact same to you in a singular sense?

Ignatius A

Well, here is the problem. You haven't explained how you notice it? So what did you actually notice and how did you notice it?

And by the way are truth and proof the exact same to you in a singular sense?
I sure have explained it, however it appear as though not everyone is capable of seeing it so repeating it AGAIN seems fruitless. Also since I'm knot an eye doctor I can't fix their blindness. That will appeal to the credentialism that many of aforementioned blind people also suffer with.

No they aren't the same thing. I say grass is green. You bring a patch of brown grass and say see, proof that grass isn't green. I say dead grass isnt green but grass is green. It's plenty obvious that that is true.

Last edited:

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
I sure have explained it, however it appear as though not everyone is capable of seeing it so repeating it AGAIN seems fruitless. Also since I'm knot an eye doctor I can't fix their blindness. That will appeal to the credentialism that many of aforementioned blind people also suffer with.

Well, I can't see as to perceive by the eye the referents to some of the words you use.
In fact I think you conflate see as through the eyes with see as understand:
-to perceive by the eye
-to perceive the meaning or importance of : UNDERSTAND

So I can see a dog, but I can't see that humans are better than dogs as I can see a dog.
Now I can understand that you say that, but I can't see it as to perceive by the eye.

Ignatius A

Well, I can't see as to perceive by the eye the referents to some of the words you use.
In fact I think you conflate see as through the eyes with see as understand:
-to perceive by the eye
-to perceive the meaning or importance of : UNDERSTAND

So I can see a dog, but I can't see that humans are better than dogs as I can see a dog.
Now I can understand that you say that, but I can't see it as to perceive by the eye.
Of course you can't see that humans are better than dogs because your world revolves around emotions not cognition. In some bizzare attempt to be "non judgmental" or to not offend dogs, the SPCA or PETA or whoever you not only cant bht refuse to see what is quite obvious. Just another example of the harm caused by functioning on emotions instead of cognition..