• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No to Fake Meat

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
There are things cats can do that I can't, like lick my backside.
I don't know that the ability to do something another species can't necessarily makes us superior.
It's cumulative. As my post clearly shows.

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
How is it loaded? I said humans are superior to animals. Subsequently people have used 40+ pages to refute that fact. Why? That's a perfectly appropriate question. Why is are people so agitated by that statement?
Because it's unsubstantiated and inaccurate.

Ignatius A

So an opinion then. Thanks.
No it's quite an obvious fact but even if it were just an opinion people were extremely uncomfortable with it. It had nothing to do with whether the statement was unsubstantiated or inaccurate people bristled at the mere suggestion that humans are superior to animals.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
If you have to tell me you aren't agitated then you are.
lol Weird logic.

Why do you fancy that everyone who is debating against your declarative statement to be agitated? This is just a regular old debate for me. When you've not made your case, I'm going to point it out in a debate forum.
Tell me why the fact that humans are superior to animals is so difficult for you to accept.
Humans are animals.

Humans are definitely more intelligent than some other animals. I'll give you that.

You've not made your case that humans are superior to all other animals.

Secret Chief

Degrow!

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
But you are going on and on about mammals which birds are not.
I'm talking about animals with similar brain structures to ours. Neocortex. Frontal lobes. Stuff like that.
Apparently, it's been discovered that birds also have something comparable to our neocortex. Birds are quite intelligent.
That's why birds are included.

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
No it's quite an obvious fact but even if it were just an opinion people were extremely uncomfortable with it. It had nothing to do with whether the statement was unsubstantiated or inaccurate people bristled at the mere suggestion that humans are superior to animals.
I'm rarely uncomfortable about one's opinion as long as it's expressed as an opinion. The only opinions that I do take exception to are opinions that lead to actions that negatively affect others.

I'm confident that had you admitted that this was your opinion instead of trying to pass it off as fact, far fewer might have been "extremely uncomfortable" or "bristled" by it.

Ignatius A

lol Weird logic.

Why do you fancy that everyone who is debating against your declarative statement to be agitated? This is just a regular old debate for me. When you've not made your case, I'm going to point it out in a debate forum.

Humans are animals.

Humans are definitely more intelligent than some other animals. I'll give you that.

You've not made your case that humans are superior to all other animals.
Sure I have. No animal has yet nor has the capacity to achieve what humans have. Humans have overcome their deficiencies and can travel rather and faster than any animal on land, in the sea and in the air. Humans have created beautify works of art and contemplated ideas no animal can even begin fathom. To deny that humans are superior to animals is deny clear and obvious facts. It's either blindness or stupidity. I suspect however its something far more sinister.

Ignatius A

I'm rarely uncomfortable about one's opinion as long as it's expressed as an opinion. The only opinions that I do take exception to are opinions that lead to actions that negatively affect others.

I'm confident that had you admitted that this was your opinion instead of trying to pass it off as fact far fewer might have been "extremely uncomfortable" or "bristled" by it.
Stating the fact that humans are superior to animals doesnt "...lead to actions that negatively affect others", unless you cab show how.

Why shouldnt I state as a fact as a fact?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
It's cumulative. As my post clearly shows.
5 Things Your Cat Can Do Better Than you
Sleeping

Other than hibernating species, surely no other animal can beat the ability of the cat to snooze the day away. While we humans may spend a third of our lives in a recumbent snoozing state, cats may spend three-quarters of their life sleeping and dreaming. This helps them retain energy for other important duties – like eating or pouncing and playing on unsuspecting owners!

Your cat may be dreaming as it sleeps. You will see it twitch and move as it dreams. Or it may sleep with one ear tuned in to your movements, ready to be awakened and interact with a toy or its food bowl. No wonder we call it catnapping!

Pouncing

Cats are natural pouncers and jumpers. With streamlined bodies, flexible spines, powerful legs and effective claws developed to hunt in the wild, your cat can scale walls and fences or jump onto your bench tops at home or perhaps even your ankles when you least expect an attack!

Cats can jump tremendous heights and also leap great divides - much greater distances, relative to our respective sizes, than any human high or long jumper. This ability enables them to move swiftly with maximum effect. They cannot sustain lengthy runs, but they can attack at a moment’s notice.

Hearing

Cats can hear noises in the ultrasound range. While we hear up to around 23 KHz, cats hear up to around 85 KHz, the sounds that rats and mice make. Instead of hunting these days, they are much more likely to recognize the sounds of the cat food tin opening or the rattling of the biscuit container!

Cats have 32 muscles in each ear, enabling them to move their ears in any direction and each ear independently of the other. Humans have 3 muscles in their ears. We can barely move our ears at all.

Seeing in the dark

While owners struggle to navigate their house and yard overnight, cats are at one with their nocturnal surroundings. With their ability to dilate their pupils and a reflective layer – the tapetum – which concentrates light, cats are adept at nighttime vision and activity. This is one reason they will gladly wake you at any opportunity!

Flirting

You may think that you are captivating, but your cat is so much more skilled at getting your attention - on their terms! They rub up against you; they drop to the floor and roll; they wink at you; they purr and meow – all to get your attention. While, at times, your cat may seem to ignore you, you are indeed special to your cat, and they want to show you their love and affection. Sometimes it comes with a tooth and claw attack and sometimes with a smooch and purr. That’s life with a cat.

Cats vs Humans: The Differences - Purina

And, they didn't even mention the butt licking...

Ignatius A

Sure, you get to decide for yourself, whatever it is, that makes you feel superior.

I've no need to feel superior so no need for me to quantify something as such.
But, you go ahead. I understand there are folks about needing to feel superior.
It has nothing to do with feelings. Humans are superior to animals.

Its clear that even the suggestion humans are superior to animals is uncomfortable to you.

Ignatius A

Sleeping

Other than hibernating species, surely no other animal can beat the ability of the cat to snooze the day away. While we humans may spend a third of our lives in a recumbent snoozing state, cats may spend three-quarters of their life sleeping and dreaming. This helps them retain energy for other important duties – like eating or pouncing and playing on unsuspecting owners!

Your cat may be dreaming as it sleeps. You will see it twitch and move as it dreams. Or it may sleep with one ear tuned in to your movements, ready to be awakened and interact with a toy or its food bowl. No wonder we call it catnapping!

Pouncing

Cats are natural pouncers and jumpers. With streamlined bodies, flexible spines, powerful legs and effective claws developed to hunt in the wild, your cat can scale walls and fences or jump onto your bench tops at home or perhaps even your ankles when you least expect an attack!

Cats can jump tremendous heights and also leap great divides - much greater distances, relative to our respective sizes, than any human high or long jumper. This ability enables them to move swiftly with maximum effect. They cannot sustain lengthy runs, but they can attack at a moment’s notice.

Hearing

Cats can hear noises in the ultrasound range. While we hear up to around 23 KHz, cats hear up to around 85 KHz, the sounds that rats and mice make. Instead of hunting these days, they are much more likely to recognize the sounds of the cat food tin opening or the rattling of the biscuit container!

Cats have 32 muscles in each ear, enabling them to move their ears in any direction and each ear independently of the other. Humans have 3 muscles in their ears. We can barely move our ears at all.

Seeing in the dark

While owners struggle to navigate their house and yard overnight, cats are at one with their nocturnal surroundings. With their ability to dilate their pupils and a reflective layer – the tapetum – which concentrates light, cats are adept at nighttime vision and activity. This is one reason they will gladly wake you at any opportunity!

Flirting

You may think that you are captivating, but your cat is so much more skilled at getting your attention - on their terms! They rub up against you; they drop to the floor and roll; they wink at you; they purr and meow – all to get your attention. While, at times, your cat may seem to ignore you, you are indeed special to your cat, and they want to show you their love and affection. Sometimes it comes with a tooth and claw attack and sometimes with a smooch and purr. That’s life with a cat.

Doesnt make cats superior not humans.

Ignatius A

Sleeping

Pouncing

Hearing

Seeing in the dark

Flirting

Doesnt make cats superior not humans.