• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Noahs Ark

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
They weren't specifically mentioned, but it can be assumed that two were present. What was done about their annoying dropping is not specifically mentioned. I would probaly have just thrown them overboard and let them fend for themselves.
...couldn't they just float? :D

kingcores

I understand that the word translated "earth" in the Bible, in the account of the flood, can also mean "land". That could refer to a region. So, the flood could have been regional.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
hmm... what about the parasites? You don't want unhealthy animals starting the new population... but the parasites have to be saved too.
Were there special "host" animals on the ark? Carrying two of each parasite?

wa:do

Arlanbb

I understand that the word translated "earth" in the Bible, in the account of the flood, can also mean "land". That could refer to a region. So, the flood could have been regional.
Hi kingcores ~ If the Flood was regional why would Noah have to build the Ark? All he would have to do is take the animals to a region where the flood did not happen. The story implies it had to be a worldwide flood to save all the animals and 8 humans from being flooded to death like all the other humans and animals would die in the flood.:)

whereismynotecard

Treasure Hunter
Hi kingcores ~ If the Flood was regional why would Noah have to build the Ark? All he would have to do is take the animals to a region where the flood did not happen. The story implies it had to be a worldwide flood to save all the animals and 8 humans from being flooded to death like all the other humans and animals would die in the flood.:)

Why did there get to be 8 humans and only two of the other animals? What if some of the animals were homosexual and didn't want to reproduce? Maybe the dinosaurs they brought just so happened to all be gay, and that's why there aren't any anymore. Maybe everything was smaller back then and that's how they all fit into the boat. Maybe there were multiple arcs. I bet the chimps built their own to be shared with all of the other monkeys... and I bet there were 8 chimps on it, and only 2 of all the other kinds of monkeys. Those chimps are narcisistic jerks.

Arlanbb

Why did there get to be 8 humans and only two of the other animals? What if some of the animals were homosexual and didn't want to reproduce? Maybe the dinosaurs they brought just so happened to all be gay, and that's why there aren't any anymore. Maybe everything was smaller back then and that's how they all fit into the boat. Maybe there were multiple arcs. I bet the chimps built their own to be shared with all of the other monkeys... and I bet there were 8 chimps on it, and only 2 of all the other kinds of monkeys. Those chimps are narcisistic jerks.
Sounds like you have never read the Genesis story whereismynotecard. No dinosaurs were on it, to big, and animals that were clean ones there were 7 couples. The lions had to have something to eat on the long trip.:yes:

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
I'm not sure what you mean by order of magnitude.

That's like 10, 100, 1000 are orders of magnitude. So I'm not asking you be be precise, but for example, if you say 100,000, that would mean anything from 1 to 999,999 would be considered within your range. 1,000,000 would be out of that range. In other words, I'm only asking for a rough estimate.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
here's a question... that article says that Noah only had to take two of each 'kind'... so only two dogs had to go and we would get all the varieties of canids we have today. (from foxes to wolves)

But then it says that Noah wouldn't have to take any of the whales or dolphin species....
So how does that work?
How did the 40 odd species of 'dog kind' evolve from just two dogs... yet all the 'whale kind' didn't do any evolving at all...

Why would 'dog kind' have to churn out a new species every couple of litters but whales have stayed just as they are since day one?

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
here's a question... that article says that Noah only had to take two of each 'kind'... so only two dogs had to go and we would get all the varieties of canids we have today. (from foxes to wolves)

But then it says that Noah wouldn't have to take any of the whales or dolphin species....
So how does that work?
How did the 40 odd species of 'dog kind' evolve from just two dogs... yet all the 'whale kind' didn't do any evolving at all...

Why would 'dog kind' have to churn out a new species every couple of litters but whales have stayed just as they are since day one?

Don't shake the cardboard castle or the die hards will have a whinge ;)

averageJOE

zombie
That is what I sted earlier based on some material I've read. but I was misremembering. It's 40,000 aminals.

Here are a few questions I have:

" The ark's gross tonnage which is a measure of cubic space (100 cubic feet is one gross ton) would be 15,100 tons. The ark's total volume would have been 1,518,000 cubic feet. This would equal the capacity of 569 modern railroad stock cars. The standard size for a stock car is 44 feet long and a volume of 2670 cubic feet. This would make a train more than 5 ½ miles long."

How was Noah able to build a ship of that size and weight in a timely manner without the wood rotting and collapsing on itself?

" It is estimated that the ark could easily have survived even the largest of ocean waves. If the ark were equipped with a dragging stone anchor, it would have been properly positioned to meet any size ocean wave. The design of the ark would have made it almost impossible to turn over."

Just like the Titanic was unsinkable? I find it hard to believe that a boat made out of wood could survive that amount of rain fall it would take to cover the entire world in 40 days. But even if it did, that says nothing about the debris that would be in the water, like all the rocks and animals, that would be crashing into it.

"The Canidae (canine) family includes about 14 genera of dog like animals. These include the coyote, dog, wolf, jackal, etc. The ark did not have to contain the hundreds of species of canines that make up this group. In reality, these were all represented by a few "kind." These "kind" would then produce all the animals that make up the Canidae family. For example all of the hundreds of varieties of domestic pigeons that have all been produced originated from one species, the wild rock pigeon (Columbia livia)."

Dosn't this help prove the theory of evolution?

The following animals could have survived outside the ark (Whitcomb 1998, p.68):
  • 25,000 species of fish
  • 1,700 tunicates (mane chordates like sea squirts) found throughout the seas
  • 600 echinoderms including star fish and sea urchins
  • 107,000 mollusks such as mussels, clams and oysters
  • 10,000 coelenterates like corals and sea anemones, jelly fish and hydroids
  • 4,000 species of sponges
  • 31,000 protozoan, the microscopic single-celled creatures.
These are salt water creatures. Wouldn't a global flood dilute all the oceans thus killing these creatures? And if it some how rained salt water wouldn't that just kill all the freash water creatures? And if these are the types of creatures to survive the flood, are these the creatures the surviving animals of the ark were forced to eat when they were released from the ark? Like lions?

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
The story and probably a vast majority of the book is not real. As far as Noah and his boat...I was watching a program on the Science Channel last night about building New Orleans as a floating city and theoretically how they could go about making this happen and one thing they proposed was creating a huge boat that would act as a city but they pointed out that the waves in the ocean would cause so much stress on the boat that it would rip it in half. Now...this particular boat would be made of (steel) and welded and fastened together. In light of this technology today against the forces of nature I highly doubt Noah could have built a boat big enough to house the various species of animals, plants, insects etc. on to a (Wooden) boat that simply drifted in the sea for over a month and it didn't succumb to violent conditions of the sea......

Last edited:

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
The story and probably a vast majority of the book is not real. As far as Noah and his boat...I was watching a program on the Science Channel last night about building New Orleans as a floating city and theoretically how they could go about making this happen and one thing they they proposed was creating a huge boat that would act as a city but they pointed out that the waves in the ocean would cause so much stress on the boat that it would rip it in half. Now...this particular boat would be made of (steel) and welded and fastened together. In light of this technology today against the forces of nature I highly doubt Noah could have built a boat big enough to house the various species of animals, plants, insects etc. on to a (Wooden) boat that simply drifted in the sea for over a month and it didn't succumb to violent conditions of the sea......

In mechanics the other day we were talking about this. Supplies would have to be flown inn, because theres no way in hell you could secure a bridge or anything of the sort to the *giant boat.* The torsional forces would be in the Giga Newtons at least on any ties/bridges attached to it. The boat itself would resonate at the frequency of the waves. At a certain frequency catastrophic stress would be applied to to the boat causing it to bend in the centre far beyond its yield stress which = fail.

Technology today isn't capable of doing such a thing, well not a whole city anyway. The cost efficiency would be about 0.00000000000000000000000001% which in terms of engineering economics is unthinkable.