• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Non-crime hate incidents - yet another not-at-all-Orwellian reality

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
That's right. This is America, where civility is imposed by the barrel of a gun.

The law is.
Civility is pretty common and freely given.
Though that is in actual face to face meeting with folks.
Spending too much time on social media, I can see where that'd get you thinking otherwise.

PureX

Veteran Member
The law is.
Civility is pretty common and freely given.
Though that is in actual face to face meeting with folks.
Spending too much time on social media, I can see where that'd get you thinking otherwise.
Or just watching the news.

How much you wanna bet those idiots that shot up the parade in KC were "enforcing civility"?

How much you wanna bet someone gets shot to death in Chicago today because someone else felt they were being "disrespected" by something they said or did?

Last edited:

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Or just watching the news.

How much you wanna bet those idiots that shot up the parade in KC were "enforcing civility"?

How much you wanna bet someone gets shot to death in Chicago today because someone else felt they were being "disrespected" by something they said or did?

Different culture on the South Side of Chicago from where I live, fortunately.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
Hate speech caused the murder of approx 6million Jews. As bad as undue censorship is do you really think it has a better track record?

Hitler was a master of propaganda, no doubt. And I would agree that he used propaganda to incite people to that horrible violence. But words are NOT violence, that's a woke idea that doesn't hold up to scrutiny.

And, fwiw, in the US free speech has limits and does not allow speech that incites IMMINENT VIOLENCE. So I would say that Hitler's speech was of a different category than the speech we're debating here.

I think that test of IMMINENT VIOLENCE is one we need to keep in mind when we're talking about offensive speech. I think the phrase "hate speech" is too vague and subjective to be useful. If you disagree, can you provide a definition of hate speech that's mostly objective?

For example, several years back Sam Harris said on TV "Islam is a mother lode of bad ideas". (I agree). Is that hate speech?

icehorse

Premium Member
I take it you have never been the victim of racist abuse.
My wife was the victim of misogynistic threats so violent that we left our home and moved 1500 miles away.

Again, I support the long standing test of IMMINENT VIOLENCE.

Perhaps you can point to societies in which censorship is rife AND the society is flourishing? To my knowledge, censorship always goes hand in hand with totalitarianism.

PureX

Veteran Member
Different culture on the South Side of Chicago from where I live, fortunately.
It's not just Chicago. It's cities and towns all across the country. Chicago is actually a ways down the list of places where people routinely murder each other. And it almost always begins with someone feeling "disrespected" by someone else.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
My wife was the victim of misogynistic threats so violent that we left our home and moved 1500 miles away.

Again, I support the long standing test of IMMINENT VIOLENCE.

Perhaps you can point to societies in which censorship is rife AND the society is flourishing? To my knowledge, censorship always goes hand in hand with totalitarianism.

Sorry to hear about your wife's troubles. I would have thought something like that would have changed your attitude to hate speech

How does one test for imminent violence is violence has not (yet) occurred?

As the OP shows, the UK has laws against hate speech and society is flourishing.

France has laws against hate speech and society is flourishing

Germany has extremely strick laws against hate speech and, you guessed it, society is flourishing.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
No, it doesn't answer the question I asked you - for a list of what YOU consider to be totalitarian countries.
The list is long so im only giving you 6 that are at the top of my head.

China
North Korea
Russia (USSR)
Iran
Iraq
Saudi Arabia

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
So the premise is to attack speech preemptively assuming something is always going to happen? Paranoid much?
It's not preemptive. Just because something isn't considered a crime doesn't make it necessarily legal or acceptable.

Your country has infractions that are illegal but not considered criminal, too. Think of parking tickets as an example: you really have committed an illegal act, but the government responds with a process that's less than a criminal process.

Sounds like the UK terminology is a bit opaque and arcane, but the description doesn't sound that different in practice than how things with with our Human Rights Tribunals here in Canada, which I think work fine.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Sorry to hear about your wife's troubles. I would have thought something like that would have changed your attitude to hate speech

As the OP shows, the UK has laws against hate speech and society is flourishing.

Germany has extremely strick laws against hate speech and, you guessed it, society is flourishing.
Some interesting information those "flourishing" countries....

icehorse

Premium Member
Not in the least. There are costs associated with living in a free society.

As I understand it, it goes something like this. Let's say a bad actor is making a speech in the town square:

1 - If he says "All Jews should be exterminated", that's protected. He's talking about some undisclosed time in the future.
2 - If he says "Bob over there is a Jew, hang him now", that's illegal, that's an IMMINENT threat.

This OP is about a particular law, one that gives citizens the right to accuse others of hate speech with no evidence necessary. That's a new addition to whatever hate speech laws they already have on the books.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

Do you think censorship is rife in Canada?

We have laws that are similar to the UK laws you're arguing against in this thread, but I'd say we're "flourishing" as much as any other western democracy (and often do better than the US on those "freedom index" reports).

PureX

Veteran Member

There’s a weird kind of cultural psychosis going on in the U. S. that has a significant portion of the population really excited by the idea of seeing other people insulted and humiliated. Not to get too political about it but it seems to be a bit of a neo-conservative obsession this wanting to see people they perceive as being ‘liberals’ or ‘woke’ or ‘snowflakes’ insulted and humiliated publicly. And they flock to anyone that they see acting as their verbal gladiators. Bill O’Reilly, Rush Limbaugh, Tucker Carlson, Donald Trump, … they really like watching these people insult and anger and humiliate the people that they think are loathsome and deserving of it. Their ‘lessers’.

It’s weird and very mean-spirited and it’s been going on for a number of decades, now. And right wing politicians seem to have no qualms at all in engaging in it because they know they will be touted as heroes by their neo-con constituents.

A lot of the worship of “freedom of speech” in the U. S. is really just these same people trying to protect their desire to see people they loathe being treated and spoken of badly in public. Free speech to them is the freedom to insult and humiliate your lessers for all the world to see and appreciate.

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
There’s a weird kind of cultural psychosis going on in the U. S. that has a significant portion of the population really excited by the idea of seeing other people insulted and humiliated.
The "psychosis" I see is people who conflate insults
with threats, & want to have government threaten
force to prevent them.
I don't trust our government with this increase in
power. Remember....it might be power wielded by
Trump next year. You trust him with that?