• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Not only Natural Laws but Rules of Evolution?

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
Nothing is infallible. But it can show that ideas are wrong. There is a tiny faction of a percent that evolution could be wrong, but if God cannot lie, and you assure us that he can't, then the creation myths of Genesis have been shown to be wrong.

In the sciences it is much easier to show an idea to be wrong than it is to show that an idea is right.
Either way -- but as we have discussed, what is the hope in evolution? Better times? :) Hmm, I wonder. Cryogenics? Again -- it's expensive anyway. Dirt coming back by genetic engineering? That's a thought, that is if mankind doesn't kill itself first, you think maybe? Evolution leads to -- thoughtless death -- doesn't it...

YoursTrue

Nothing is infallible. But it can show that ideas are wrong. There is a tiny faction of a percent that evolution could be wrong, but if God cannot lie, and you assure us that he can't, then the creation myths of Genesis have been shown to be wrong.

In the sciences it is much easier to show an idea to be wrong than it is to show that an idea is right.
When you say nothing is infallible, how about death? via evolution. Is that infallible? what do you think?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I figured you'd have a say on that. :) Have a good one. :)
That is because I know you so well. So do many others here. We are all used to seeing you deny that you attempted to present evidence, when you obviously did. We have seen you refuse to understand the concept of evidence. Running away when a discussion does not go your way is something that we are used to.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Either way -- but as we have discussed, what is the hope in evolution? Better times? :) Hmm, I wonder. Cryogenics? Again -- it's expensive anyway. Dirt coming back by genetic engineering? That's a thought, that is if mankind doesn't kill itself first, you think maybe? Evolution leads to -- thoughtless death -- doesn't it...
What do you mean by "hope in evolution"? If you mean in a religious sense there is none. It does not have a religious purpose. It only describes reality. You will need to get your hope from another source.

By the way, the fact of evolution does not refute the Christian God. So I do not understand why you oppose it so strongly. Perhaps your faith is rather weak and you are afraid that you will no longer be a Christian if you accept reality.

YoursTrue

What do you mean by "hope in evolution"? If you mean in a religious sense there is none. It does not have a religious purpose. It only describes reality. You will need to get your hope from another source.

By the way, the fact of evolution does not refute the Christian God. So I do not understand why you oppose it so strongly. Perhaps your faith is rather weak and you are afraid that you will no longer be a Christian if you accept reality.
Your concept of what constitutes what you call the Christian God is not my concept. You'd have to go over the various teachings in each group perhaps, because there are many things I do not believe in or accept. Such as: eternal torture in hell, and other concepts many believe. Just as your concept of death and evolution is not my concept, although I'm not saying and never have that some species did not evolve, or naturally genetically move to variations that may be permanent. Nothing proven yet with that in reference to the future. Perhaps we can go over the various differences in perception about God in the future. But now I am looking at the "rules" of evolution as conceived by some -- most -- many -- scientists. And those scientists who are not in the field may simply accept the idea as proposed because just as I did when I was in school and did not really believe in God until later...

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Your concept of what constitutes what you call the Christian God is not my concept. You'd have to go over the various teachings in each group perhaps, because there are many things I do not believe in or accept. Such as: eternal torture in hell, and other concepts many believe. Just as your concept of death and evolution is not my concept, although I'm not saying and never have that some species did not evolve, or naturally genetically move to variations that may be permanent. Nothing proven yet with that in reference to the future. Perhaps we can go over the various differences in perception about God in the future. But now I am looking at the "rules" of evolution as conceived by some -- most -- many -- scientists. And those scientists who are not in the field may simply accept the idea as proposed because just as I did when I was in school and did not really believe in God until later...
So your concept is one that lies? That is an odd version of God.

YoursTrue

I don't think so. It's a pretty accurate description for some parts of the Bible. Where they committed genocide on neighbouring tribes and slavery are examples.
Do you know the reason Russia and Ukraine are killing each other? They're not doing good to their neighbors, are they?

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
No, not really. Those are concepts you are taking from others because you believe them and they make sense to you.
That, and the overwhelming and insurmountable mountain of evidence.

I do not contest everything in the thought, but no longer believe that is how organisms came about in their entirety. What does that mean? I'm not a scientist, but cannot believe that plants went one way and animals went another, as well as fish burgeoning out to become humans in the long run. While there are certainly questions and similarities, again, this does not mean that it all happened by "natural selection." But thanks anyway. This does not mean all life started from a few cells combining by chemical means and then moving them along without any purpose or intelligence behind the mechanisms.
In other words "I don't get it, nor do I want to (it threatens my religious beliefs), therefore I reject it." That's a dishonest approach.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Do you know the reason Russia and Ukraine are killing each other? They're not doing good to their neighbors, are they?
Russia invaded Ukraine unprovoked and proceeded to commit heinous war crimes (such as raping and torturing children). The Ukrainians are fighting to defend their lives, land, and liberty.

But what's your point? How is this relevant to the discussion at hand?