• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Obama's performance and global instability

MD

qualiaphile
Yes. We should ascertain the reason they're at war and find a peaceful resolution and "if" we get involved militarily do we have the help of the international community..

Yes. Russia has already invaded the Ukraine.

Yes. Jordan and Lebanon have a capable military. Additionally...When Russia stormed into Georgia years ago we did nothing. See, we don't always have to get involved.

Lebanon doesn't have a capable military, a lot of force in Lebanon came from Hezbollah who are actively fighting Jihadist militias in Syria. Jordan has a pro ISIS population base. In fact Syria had a much more capable military than Jordan, Lebanon and Iraq combined and now they're stuck in a bloody stalemate against a growing well funded mini jihadist army.

Russia's invasion into Georgia showed that inaction from the West(and by the West I meant America) gives it freedom to do as it pleases. It continues to push, first with Crimea, then with Moldova. And now it's all about to invade Ukraine, it hasn't officially invaded the country. Whatever happens in Ukraine, it has gone from a somewhat stable Eastern European nation into probably what will be another Yugoslavia or Chechnya.

I would have to say his performance with regards to geopolitics has been poor, but better than any other Republican that would have come to office. He hasn't countered China's threats to American allies, he hasn't done anything about ISIS and it's growth and he hasn't done much against Russian aggression. But again I will say a Republican in office in his spot would have probably started world war 3, so in comparison to them he's better.

Last edited:

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
Russia's invasion into Georgia showed that inaction from the West(and by the West I meant America) gives it freedom to do as it pleases. It continues to push, first with Crimea, then with Moldova. And now it's all about to invade Ukraine, it hasn't officially invaded the country. Whatever happens in Ukraine, it has gone from a somewhat stable Eastern European nation into probably what will be another Yugoslavia or Chechnya.

I would have to say his performance with regards to geopolitics has been poor, but better than any other Republican that would have come to office. He hasn't countered China's threats to American allies, he hasn't done anything about ISIS and it's growth and he hasn't done much against Russian aggression. But again I will say a Republican in office in his spot would have probably started world war 3, so in comparison to them he's better.

Other than sanctions, which he just signed off on more today, what would you have the president of the US do?

Should he declare war on Russia and commit more blood and treasure to the cause?

If so then how are we going to pay for it on the front end sending troops in and how will we pay for it on the back end when the troops come home with medical (mental and physical) needs.

The cost of war is far greater than laying the problems of a historically troubled world at the feet of the US president (be he/she Republican, Democrat or alternate party)......:sad:

Last edited:

esmith

Veteran Member
If China and Japan go to war do you think the US should stay out?
No, we have a treaty obligation and it would not be in our best interest.
If Russia invades Ukraine do you think the US should stay out?
The only way the US should get involved is if NATO acts
If ISIS infiltrates Jordan and Lebanon should the US stay out?
No, this would be a totally disaster for the world and completely destabilize the entire region.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
On this one, I'm inclined to agree with the musing of Dick Cheney in a recent interview. In it stated that he felt Obama was the single worst president in his life - eclipsing Jimmy Carter. I agree.

*Waits for the Liberal Left to implode in 3, 2, 1.....*

MD

qualiaphile
On this one, I'm inclined to agree with the musing of Dick Cheney in a recent interview. In it stated that he felt Obama was the single worst president in his life - eclipsing Jimmy Carter. I agree.

I'm not a Liberal and I think Dick Cheney should face trial for war crimes. I don't take his comments seriously at all, he profited greatly from the Iraq war.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Eh. Jimmy Carter would be far worse - by Dick Cheney's perspective - than Obama.

Although I wonder how Carter would fare among the current crop of obstructionists and warmongers...

Brickjectivity

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Lebanon doesn't have a capable military, a lot of force in Lebanon came from Hezbollah who are actively fighting Jihadist militias in Syria. Jordan has a pro ISIS population base. In fact Syria had a much more capable military than Jordan, Lebanon and Iraq combined and now they're stuck in a bloody stalemate against a growing well funded mini jihadist army.

I don't think Mitt Romney would have started WW3, but the other candidates might have.

President Obama began as a Law professor at Harvard, and he has a strong interest in seeing our legal system succeed. He has been stuck with a dysfunctional Congress which gives him a huge temptation to expand the powers of the executive branch. What with so many military problems in play, he could have turned the country into a dictatorship and started a civil war had he felt like it. It is ironic that anyone would call him a weak president. He reminds me of Lincoln as he has been fighting to keep the union together when it is so divided right now.

I think that the USA had to get involved in WW2, but that war was officially declared. It was a real war, a constitutionally recognized war. All of these other 'Wars' we've been in have never been declared, so all of the presidential involvement with those wars is questionable. Any president who goes to war, begins a conflict or invades another country is overstepping their authority. The invasion of Iraq was not legal for example, but this was the fault of congress which approved of the president's measures but refused to declare war. By refusing to make the declaration but encouraging the president to act it expanded his powers.

Last edited:

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn

Cheney kinda has to say that. Otherwise he would be admitting that Obama's biggest failure is the inability to repair the damage done while Cheney was in office.

I'm curious why you think it. I can't think of a single important problem the USA has that Obama didn't inherit from the Bush-Cheney years.

Tom

BSM1

What? Me worry?
[
quote=columbus;3844971]Cheney kinda has to say that. Otherwise he would be admitting that Obama's biggest failure is the inability to repair the damage done while Cheney was in office.

I'm curious why you think it. I can't think of a single important problem the USA has that Obama didn't inherit from the Bush-Cheney years.

Tom
[/quote]

How about 60000 kids flooding our southern border? Or maybe even worse, Joe Biden.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
How about 60000 kids flooding our southern border? Or maybe even worse, Joe Biden.
It is a direct result of a couple of decades of failed USA immigration policy. And Obama can't do anything about it now because Congress won't act to fix the real problems.

Tom

Last edited:

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony

Surely you jest....

I mean it's not like his record of lying us into war was something to boast about.....which is why every politician ran as fast and as far as they could from the "Bush Legacy" during the 2012 election....No one wanted to be associated with that quagmire. So please tell us what the Bush/Cheney reign did to make us more liked, more respected in the region?....

Last edited:

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Surely you jest....

I mean it's not like his record of lying us into war was something to boast about.....which is why every politician ran as fast and as far as they could from the "Bush Legacy" during the 2012 election....No one wanted to be associated with that quagmire. So please tell us what the Bush/Cheney reign did to make us more liked, more respected in the region?....
First, the insertion of the comment from Cheney was cheap theatrics to watch the ensuing meltdown. I was not disappointed and people reacted exactly as I assumed they would.

Second, I fundamentally disagree with what the Obama regime has done on a wide range of issues. He is perhaps the most partisan President that Americans have ever elected and he spares no opportunity to stick it to the Republicans. Had he told the truth about the ACA, that many people would lose their plans and their doctors it is unlikely the Frankensteinian piece of legislation would ever have seen the light of day. His own party would not have been able to sell it to their constituents. So he lied.

Then there is his famous, "I have a pen and a phone". The mentality behind that is exactly the type of thing that your framers sought to curb. They foresaw an imperial presidency who used executive privilege to act unilaterally on given issues, what could not be negotiated with the Congress. It's not supposed to work that way. What is mind-boggling is that many members of his own party cheered him on even as they helped to erode the power they were elected to wield.

Then there are the utter failure of his ill-conceived so-called "foreign policy". Name one thing that Hillary Clinton achieved under the direction of President Obama that we can all agree was outstanding? The MIddle-East is in flames, Europe is a financial basket case, China is gloating and Russia is looking to reshape the old empire. Heck, these folks have even managed to tick of the ever-understanding Canadians, who are your closest allies... (That takes some extra special effort, I might add.)

Meanwhile the President goes golfing... ... if we are lucky maybe he will stay on the gold course for the next few years.

Last edited:

BSM1

What? Me worry?
It is a direct result of a couple of decades of failed USA immigration policy. And Obama can't do anything about it now because Congress won't act to fix the real problems.

Tom

Of course. What was I thinking? If we were to believe the "George's fault" crowd then I sure we can find an old religious painting where George is handing the nails to a Roman soldier.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Of course. What was I thinking? If we were to believe the "George's fault" crowd then I sure we can find an old religious painting where George is handing the nails to a Roman soldier.
Something I have noticed is the tendency of Obama's opponents to avoid answering questions or responses to their own questions.

Tom

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
First, the insertion of the comment from Cheney was cheap theatrics to watch the ensuing meltdown.

So are you going to answer my question? The one I asked in response to your partisan theatrics?

Why do you believe Obama is the worst president?

Tom

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Something I have noticed is the tendency of Obama's opponents to avoid answering questions or responses to their own questions.

Tom

With the first two years of his Presidency dominated by a Democrat Congress, Mr. O had the opportunity and the wherewithal to change these policies. He also had the power to close the border to prevent this fiasco. But, unfortunately for us, the Prez decided to double down by openly inviting unaccompanied rugrats to come and stay ( the administration was preparing for this back in January so it wasn't a surprise).

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
With the first two years of his Presidency dominated by a Democrat Congress, Mr. O had the opportunity and the wherewithal to change these policies. He also had the power to close the border to prevent this fiasco. But, unfortunately for us, the Prez decided to double down by openly inviting unaccompanied rugrats to come and stay ( the administration was preparing for this back in January so it wasn't a surprise).

Actually he was a little busy trying to solve a looming depression brought on by the prior administration's lack of fiscal control. While the border issue was just as important then as it is now it was less important than getting the economy out of the slump that both (dems and repubs) created under the leadership of Bush....:areyoucra

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Actually he was a little busy trying to solve a looming depression brought on by the prior administration's lack of fiscal control. While the border issue was just as important then as it is now it was less important than getting the economy out of the slump that both (dems and repubs) created under the leadership of Bush....:areyoucra

Of course he was. When do you suppose this will happen?

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
While the border issue was just as important then as it is now it was less important than getting the economy out of the slump that both (dems and repubs) created under the leadership of Bush....:areyoucra
Oh right, that was 2 of the 4 years that the Democrats controlled both the house and the senate. Nothing to see here...