• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

On eating people

I eat meat, I drink milk, I love cheese and any other dairy product for that matter. Just so you know, this thread is against myself too! :areyoucra

It is clear that we shouldn't eat other animals, and we shouldn't raise livestock for their milk either. First of all, our teeth are not made for eating meat (at least not as a primary food source), and I thought milk was for babies only? Who gives us the right to go suck on a cows tit anyways? Really, I dont want to add anything to this myself, I'd rather you do, 'cause I'm just so angry :mad: at us. Killing animals should be a law. It is not our right.

anyways, lets here what you religious or non folks think of eating meat and milk and such.

SoyLeche

meh...
NothingIsNot said:
I eat meat, I drink milk, I love cheese and any other dairy product for that matter. Just so you know, this thread is against myself too! :areyoucra

It is clear that we shouldn't eat other animals, and we shouldn't raise livestock for their milk either. First of all, our teeth are not made for eating meat (at least not as a primary food source), and I thought milk was for babies only? Who gives us the right to go suck on a cows tit anyways? Really, I dont want to add anything to this myself, I'd rather you do, 'cause I'm just so angry :mad: at us. Killing animals should be a law. It is not our right.

anyways, lets here what you religious or non folks think of eating meat and milk and such.
Reminds me of a Calvin and Hobbes where Calvin is wondering who the guy was that thought, "I'm going to squeze those things and drink whatever comes out".

Aqualung

Tasty
SoyLeche said:
Reminds me of a Calvin and Hobbes where Calvin is wondering who the guy was that thought, "I'm going to squeze those things and drink whatever comes out".
Yeah, that's a good one. :biglaugh:

As to the OP - The Bible states we are sanctioned in eating meat. We're not forced to, but if we want to, that's fine.

spacemonkey

Pneumatic Spiritualist
Why exactly should it be a crime to eat an animal? Animals don't seem have any problem doing it. Its the natural order of things, higher life forms consume lower life forms. Perhaps you shouldn't eat vegtables either, they are alive after all.

Solon

Meat is Murder: Morrissey. Moby is an another excellent example of a non-meat eating Christian. As I dont take the Bible as the word of God, then the Bible's arrogance in giving man dominance over all creatures is invalid as far as I'm concerned. Follow the Example of Gandhi of you want an example of a non meating humanist.

Aqualung said:
As to the OP - The Bible states we are sanctioned in eating meat. We're not forced to, but if we want to, that's fine.
So it's fine to raise animals simply to kill them and eat them? Denying their right to a real life within the nature that first brought them to this world...

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Thou shalt not kill. Is ending another life not considered a kill?[/font]

spacemonkey said:
Why exactly should it be a crime to eat an animal? Animals don't seem have any problem doing it. Its the natural order of things, higher life forms consume lower life forms. Perhaps you shouldn't eat vegtables either, they are alive after all.
But you are not killing what you eat. Mass production slaughterhouses are doing what was once a natural part of the world. And the animals hunted in the wild by other animals, are living in their natural environment, not in a tiny filthy cage with 20 other of their species, which makes them go insane and drives them to self mutilation.

Bishka

Veteran Member
NothingIsNot said:
So it's fine to raise animals simply to kill them and eat them? Denying their right to a real life within the nature that first brought them to this world...

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Thou shalt not kill. Is ending another life not considered a kill?[/font]

I believe that animals were put here for men/womens use, use them sparingly yes, but they are put here for our use by God. That's just what I believe, comes from the Word of Wisdom in the Doctrine and Covenants. I actually used to be a vegetarian, for about 7 years. I just recently stopped.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
well, we've been doing it since before we were 'human'... Eaven the Australopiticines were omnivors.
My religion is one of equality for ALL life, not just animals but plants as well. Frankly as long as the life you take is done with respect (and that is plant as well) then your good. You can not live without killing, the key is to be aware of the lives that sacrifice themselves for you and honor them for it.

wa:do

SoyLeche

meh...
NothingIsNot said:

And then a good chunk of the rest of what Moses wrote was about how to kill a lamb the right way.

painted wolf said:
well, we've been doing it since before we were 'human'... Eaven the Australopiticines were omnivors.
My religion is one of equality for ALL life, not just animals but plants as well. Frankly as long as the life you take is done with respect (and that is plant as well) then your good. You can not live without killing, the key is to be aware of the lives that sacrifice themselves for you and honor them for it.

wa:do
Yes, yes, but do you not see the difference between what they were doing and what we are doing? There are too many to feed, therefore we give ourselves the right to raise animals for the sole purpose of feeding the masses. We are not doing anything honourable in eating a steak or chicken breast.

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
NothingIsNot said:

I ate a vegetarian almost vegan diet for a while, and while I still think that can be a very healthy way to eat (and may go back to it when I'm ready), I am not a vegetarian right now. I still refuse to drink cow's milk (or any other animal's bodily fluids), and I do not eat red meat or pork for health reasons, but I usually do have a couple ounces of chicken or fish a day.

I don't have a problem with eating meat in general, but I do have a big problem with animals that come from large factory farms, not only for how they are treated but also for health concerns in how they are treated.

SoyLeche

meh...
NothingIsNot said:
Yes, yes, but do you not see the difference between what they were doing and what we are doing? There are too many to feed, therefore we give ourselves the right to raise animals for the sole purpose of feeding the masses. We are not doing anything honourable in eating a steak or chicken breast.
I would suggest that you take your own advice and give it up for a while. Come back and tell us about it.

SoyLeche said:
I would suggest that you take your own advice and give it up for a while. Come back and tell us about it.
I'm slowly getting there. But I think as a society we should ban the commerce of animals, and simply ban meat because 6 billions is alot to feed, and we are simply doing harm to other beings.

SoyLeche

meh...
NothingIsNot said:
I'm slowly getting there. But I think as a society we should ban the commerce of animals, and simply ban meat because 6 billions is alot to feed, and we are simply doing harm to other beings.
Does scale really have anything to do with it? Would it still be wrong if there were only 1000 to feed?

Solon

beckysoup61 said:
I believe that animals were put here for men/womens use, use them sparingly yes, but they are put here for our use by God. That's just what I believe, comes from the Word of Wisdom in the Doctrine and Covenants. I actually used to be a vegetarian, for about 7 years. I just recently stopped.
That is just so much nonsense, nothing was put here for mankind to exploit, how, apart from the Bible, do you know that God said anything of the sort ? Humans have exploited animals because humans have greater thinking capacity, and for no other reason than that.

Aqualung

Tasty
NothingIsNot said:
Yes. They don't know they're missing anything.

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
NothingIsNot said:
Thou shalt not kill. Is ending another life not considered a kill?
NothingIsNot said:
Thou shalt not murder is the correct translation. It's not murder to kill an animal.

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
NothingIsNot said:

Not going to happen.

What should people like the Inuit who survive mainly on animals because their environment provides little to no vegetation do for food?

SoyLeche

meh...
Solon said:
That is just so much nonsense, nothing was put here for mankind to exploit, how, apart from the Bible, do you know that God said anything of the sort ? Humans have exploited animals because humans have greater thinking capacity, and for no other reason than that.
To be fair, she wasn't using the Bible. She was using the Doctrine and Covenants.