• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

On Evolution & Creation

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
So you are a theistic evolutionist?
No. I believe that God is the Creator of heavens and earth. I do believe that He set in motion what is perceived as life and living matter. Scientists have discovered what they term as RNA and DNA among other things. I do not believe each day of creation in the Bible is 24 hours long. I do believe, however, that God made the heavens and the earth, He set up the earth so life can be on it. By that I mean having the rays of the sun come through so vegetation and other life forms can flourish. And that's where I will stop for now.

Argentbear

Yes it is under a lot of water thousands of feet of water but then you got up to 5 miles of rock on top of the ocean floor. You do not have time enough for all that accretion to take place.

At the rate of accretion today it would take between 57 and 114 billion years to add the material that covers the oil under the top of top of the earth. That does not even consider the construction of the rest of earth, or the time for the accumulation of the material for the oil

The math says there is not enough time in 13.8 billion years.

Enjoy,
the accretion rate where? Do you think that the rate is contestant every where?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
No. I believe that God is the Creator of heavens and earth. I do believe that He set in motion what is perceived as life and living matter. Scientists have discovered what they term as RNA and DNA among other things. I do not believe each day of creation in the Bible is 24 hours long. I do believe, however, that God made the heavens and the earth, He set up the earth so life can be on it. By that I mean having the rays of the sun come through so vegetation and other life forms can flourish. And that's where I will stop for now.
In which sense is that not being a theistic evolutionist?

Argentbear

The annual accretion of thickness added to earth by accretion is approximately 0.07 to 0.14 micrometers (0.07 to 0.14 x 10^-6 meters).
Minimum time: ( \frac{8,046.72 \text{ meters}}{0.14 \times 10^{-6} \text{ meters/year}} \approx. 57.48 \times 10^9 \text{ years} )
Maximum time: ( \frac{8,046.72 \text{ meters}}{0.07 \times 10^{-6} \text{ meters/year}} \approx. 114.95 \times 10^9 \text{ years} )
So, it would take approximately 57.48 to 114.95 billion years to add a thickness of 5 miles to the Earth’s surface through accretion at the current rate.
Taking the smaller number there would not be enough time in 4 times the amount of time to cover the oil 5 miles deep under the crust of the ocean floor.

Maybe they did not do the math.

Now maybe you can see why I question everything about our universe.

Enjoy,
Why didn't you ask if there is more than one way that rock is laid down?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Not true, and it is sad that I am now going to put YOU on ignore. Bye again.
Then show that I am wrong. It would be so easy to resolve this. All that you would have to do is to discuss the basics and then show that you are using them properly in future posts. But you know that you do not understand the basics. I know that you do not understand the basics. And we both understand why you know that you cannot afford to understand them.

YoursTrue

Why didn't you ask if there is more than one way that rock is laid down?
Here is something you may find to be of interest about the earth's accretion:
"The first and most widely accepted theory is the core accretion model, which works well to explain the formation of terrestrial planets like Earth but doesn't fully account for giant planets. The second theory, called the disk instability method, may account for the creation of larger planets. These two leading theories are joined by the pebble accretion theory which helps to additionally explain how different objects might form." The explanations at the website (space.com) also state in reference to the earth's origin:
Earth's origins remain a conundrum." And a subject of great debate.

walt

Jesus is King & Mighty God Isa.9:6-7; Lk.1:32-33
Of course I am an evolutionist. There isn't really any dispute there for me to take sides about.

I expect fact to be respected over fantasy.
How could one vital organ survive, while it is waiting for all the rest of the vital organs to evolve?

The average adult human has between 300 million and 500 million Alveoli in their lungs. Alveoli are the structural and functional units of the respiratory system, and they increase the surface area for the exchange of respiratory gases. Yes, the transfer of oxygen and carbon dioxide occurs throughout the bloodstream, primarily through the process of gas exchange where oxygen moves from the lungs into the blood and carbon dioxide moves from the blood into the lungs at the level of the alveoli, carried by red blood cells to be delivered to body tissues and then transported back to the lungs as waste.

Doesn't the heart, lungs, brain, blood stream, nervous system, muscles, digestive system, skeletal system, mouth, throat, eyes, passageways and other vital organs have to be fully developed all the same time?

How would one survive without all the others, fully developed all at the same time?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
How could one vital organ survive, while it is waiting for all the rest of the vital organs to evolve?

The average adult human has between 300 million and 500 million Alveoli in their lungs. Alveoli are the structural and functional units of the respiratory system, and they increase the surface area for the exchange of respiratory gases. Yes, the transfer of oxygen and carbon dioxide occurs throughout the bloodstream, primarily through the process of gas exchange where oxygen moves from the lungs into the blood and carbon dioxide moves from the blood into the lungs at the level of the alveoli, carried by red blood cells to be delivered to body tissues and then transported back to the lungs as waste.

Doesn't the heart, lungs, brain, blood stream, nervous system, muscles, digestive system, skeletal system, mouth, throat, eyes, passageways and other vital organs have to be fully developed all the same time?

How would one survive without all the others, fully developed all at the same time?
Evolution does not work that way.

Argentbear

Here is something you may find to be of interest about the earth's accretion:
"The first and most widely accepted theory is the core accretion model, which works well to explain the formation of terrestrial planets like Earth but doesn't fully account for giant planets. The second theory, called the disk instability method, may account for the creation of larger planets. These two leading theories are joined by the pebble accretion theory which helps to additionally explain how different objects might form." The explanations at the website (space.com) also state in reference to the earth's origin:
Earth's origins remain a conundrum." And a subject of great debate.
THat is nice but has nothing to do with how the ocean floor thickens over time

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
No. Once again evolution does not work that way. They all evolved at different times. "Blood" or circulatory fluid evolved first. It would have started out as simple channels through the body like a sponge. Sponges are animals. Sea water flows through them. That is their "blood". Further evolution started a central digestive system with nutrients just flowing out. Then a closed system working by pulsations of the channels. Then some of the channels evolved more strongly in some areas than others and primitive one chambered heart evolved. At the same time other organs evolved as well. I can probably find an article on it if you are interested. This is well understood. It only appears to be a problem if one grossly distorts the process.

walt

You can't even get cream and sugar in your coffee in the morning without somebody's intelligence involved, and you expect all life to exist from evolution, not intelligent design?

Have you ever worked on any project in your entire life, and you were assisted with even [ one step ] in any way by nobody?

walt

You can't even get cream and sugar in your coffee in the morning without somebody's intelligence involved, and you expect all life to exist from evolution, not intelligent design?

Have you ever worked on any project in your entire life, and you were assisted with even [ one step ] in any way by nobody?

YoursTrue

THat is nice but has nothing to do with how the ocean floor thickens over time
I was looking at what scientists theorize about earth's accretion. The info at space.com reports that the first and most widely accepted theory is the core accretion model. It goes on to discuss another theory, which is called the disk instability method, which may account for the creation of larger planets.There's more including the inclusion of a pebble accretion theory, yet the article also states that "Earth's origins remain a conundrum."

walt

No. Once again evolution does not work that way. They all evolved at different times. "Blood" or circulatory fluid evolved first. It would have started out as simple channels through the body like a sponge. Sponges are animals. Sea water flows through them. That is their "blood". Further evolution started a central digestive system with nutrients just flowing out. Then a closed system working by pulsations of the channels. Then some of the channels evolved more strongly in some areas than others and primitive one chambered heart evolved. At the same time other organs evolved as well. I can probably find an article on it if you are interested. This is well understood. It only appears to be a problem if one grossly distorts the process.
How does a fully developed heart, lungs, nervous system, brain survive without all the rest of them, fully developed all at the same time?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Maybe in time we can discuss it. :) I do not believe in the theory of evolution. I hope that helps.
It does show me that you like to be categorical about what you confess to have no clue about, I suppose.

Come back when you have decided on what you call "evolutionism".

Or not at all.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member

Please.

Are you that unaware of even basic biology?

Don't waste my time and yours.