• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

One God, One Saviour the Creator

1 Peter 1:3-4
3 Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! In his great mercy he has given us new birth into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, 4 and into an inheritance that can never perish, spoil or fade. This inheritance is kept in heaven for you,

They are calling God the Almighty the Father and God of Jesus.

julio.2

The Way of Salvation by Almighty God's INITIATIVE is found SOLELY in the New Testament and nowhere else.
Here it is: John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son [Jesus Christ], that whosoever believes in him should not perish, but have everlasting life [in heaven with Almighty God].
17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world [of humanity] through him might be saved [from eternal Hell-fire].

Btw, all religions including the Roman Catholic religion teaches salvation from hell-fire through self-effort and sacrifice. It means you save yourself by your own efforts. Not so the Gospel [good news] of Jesus Christ.

Here it is:
Titus 3:5-7King James Version (KJV)
5 Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost;

6 Which he shed on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Saviour;

7 That being justified by his grace, we should be made heirs according to the hope of eternal life.

Can you see now that in the New Testament and even in the Old Testament it is Almighty God Who took/takes the INITIATIVE to save people because of His infinite Mercy.

All religions are looking for God, not so the Born Again Christian Faith. I was not looking for God before I was Born Again. Why? Because I was happy in my sinning under the influence/dictates of Satan who is named the "god" of this world in 2 Cor. 4:4.. I was doing what Adam and Eve did after they sinned. They ran away from their Creator-God. But what happened? The Creator-God came looking for them and then He provided the couple with His method of salvation of a blood sacrifice thru' which He provided coats of sheeps skin.

julio.2

Wrong, Salvation was announced in Isaiah, God is the only Saviour.
For I am the Lord your God,
the Holy One of Israel, your Savior;
You are my witnesses,” declares the Lord,
“and my servant whom I have chosen,
so that you may know and believe me
and understand that I am he.
Before me no god was formed,
nor will there be one after me.
11 I, even I, am the Lord,
and apart from me there is no savior.
12 I have revealed and saved and proclaimed—
I, and not some foreign god among you.
You are my witnesses,” declares the Lord, “that I am God.
13 Yes, and from ancient days I am he.
No one can deliver out of my hand.
When I act, who can reverse it?”

Wrong, Salvation was announced in Isaiah, God is the only Saviour.
For I am the Lord your God,
the Holy One of Israel, your Savior;
“and my servant whom I have chosen,
12 I have revealed and saved and proclaimed—
I, and not some foreign god among you.
You are my witnesses,” declares the Lord, “that I am God.
13 Yes, and from ancient days I am he.
No one can deliver out of my hand.
When I act, who can reverse it?”

Yes,Witnesses.:D

julio.2

1 Peter 1:3-4
3 Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! In his great mercy he has given us new birth into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, 4 and into an inheritance that can never perish, spoil or fade. This inheritance is kept in heaven for you,

They are calling God the Almighty the Father and God of Jesus.
Yea, God Created Jesus

Isaiah 43:3,10. 3 For I am Jehovah your God,

The Holy One of Israel, your Savior.

I have given Egypt as a ransom for you,

E·thi·o′pi·a and Se′ba in exchange for you.

10“You are my witnesses,” declares Jehovah,

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
That's an unfair assessment. It really depends on the commentary. The scholarly ones are fair and honest tools.
Exactly as they run from scholarly to trash with most in-between. If I can stereotype any particular scholarship, the overall best I've run across tend to be from the Anglican tradition, with one especially that stood out to me and that's "Tradition In the Early Church" by Dr. Hanson. To me, it's worth its weight in gold-- and I ain't a Christian.

julio.2

Yes, Witnesses.:D
Yes, Isa. 43:10
“and my servant (Jesus) whom I have chosen,

Yes, Isa. 43:10
“and my servant (Jesus) whom I have chosen,

Yes,Jehovah.:)

julio.2

Exactly as they run from scholarly to trash with most in-between. If I can stereotype any particular scholarship, the overall best I've run across tend to be from the Anglican tradition, with one especially that stood out to me and that's "Tradition In the Early Church" by Dr. Hanson. To me, it's worth its weight in gold-- and I ain't a Christian.
My attention span doesn't allow for much reading apart from online which I'm sure it's available.
It seems so easy to do as we are told to, keeping the Sabbath, that I struggle with, something always comes up. I find joy in helping the needy, Loving God is concrete.
Like Religions, definitions of Sabbath vary. Who really knows. When God says he'll show hidden secret things and Jesus says ones coming after him will do wonders. I'm a believer and know there's such a great injustice going on in the world of religions today. For the Glory of God it needs to be set right. Sometimes I think that when the Light hit my Bible it was a sign to fill the prophesy, declare to the world my God reigns. I've been inclined to start a Church. If all the churches did what is commanded in Isaiah as far as helping people. There would be miracles regularly, my dad was a healer and his aunt was.
Isa1:3
Stop bringing meaningless offerings! Your incense is detestable to me. New Moons, Sabbaths and convocations— I cannot bear your worthless assemblies.
Isa. 56:2
Blessed is the one who does this— the person who holds it fast, who keeps the Sabbath without desecrating it, and keeps their hands from doing any evil
I use BibleGateway - Quick search: oppressed I just searched Sabbath, oppressed, command. Weird I searched precept, none in Isaiah, that had to be wrong, it was set on the New International Version Bible, I changed it to KJV and found it 6 times in it.
God announces a new thing in Isaiah and I believe everything needed to comply is in it, he does away with the old. It's in black & white but you have to follow.
Isa. 28:13
But the word of the Lord was unto them precept upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little; that they might go, and fall backward, and be broken, and snared, and taken.
Isa.28:10
For precept must be upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little:
I have a partner who has an old church out in the country some 45 miles away or so. One of those who's always right and refuses to listen but believer he is. Getting him to see that the trinity isn't so will be a battle. When 2 or more are gathered in my name I'll be there. Jesus had to of studied Isaiah.

Levite

Higher and Higher
Can you name a scholar on the New Testament who is not a Christian? There may be some but I don't know of any.
Dr. Amy-Jill Levine, who teaches at Vanderbilt. She's Jewish, and the primary author of The Jewish Annotated New Testament.

julio.2

Can you name a scholar on the New Testament who is not a Christian? There may be some but I don't know of any.
The New Testament was written by Men for Men. Isaiah is full of the Truth, Fulfilled Prophesy, the New Covenant and the word of God. Written by the Prophet of God

The New Testament was written by Men for Men. Isaiah is full of the Truth, Fulfilled Prophesy, the New Covenant and the word of God. Written by the Prophet of God
Both the OT and NT,the holy scriptures, were written by men for men,inspired by God.

Levite

Higher and Higher
My attention span doesn't allow for much reading apart from online which I'm sure it's available.

No one unwilling to crack actual books and study them has any business claiming to have insight into religion or religious texts.

roger1440

I do stuff
I can accept the drift of your approach above, but me switch hats and defend the early church and the gentiles that eventually took over.

One thing we have to keep in mind is that the vast majority of Jews and gentiles back then didn't have a handy dandy Bible on their nightstand, so what they learned was mainly from word of mouth, whether that be in the Temple area, in synagogues, or early churches (which actually were synagogues, btw). When the Christian scriptures were written, and when the authors tried to cite what was in the Tanakh that they thought led to Jesus as being the Messiah, they had no choice but to take what was said and passed on and then try to mesh it with what was written in the Tanakh. That, of course, is a very imprecise art form, so undoubtedly much imagination had to be used to match the two up. Whether their links were correct or not is going to be questionable of course. But my guess is that they tried to do this in an honest manner.

Another thing I can defend them on is that interpretation is another imprecise art form.

I gotta cut this short-- got company.
The vast majority of Jews and Gentiles may have been illiterate country bumpkins but the authors of the Gospels were certainly not. These men were highly educated Jews. Most definitely they didn’t take a few night classes in creative writing. These men sought to preserve Judaism after the destruction of the Temple in 70 AD. Their goal was not to reinvent Judaism but to renew it. They saw the end of the Temple period, not the end of Judaism.

The vast majority of Jews and Gentiles may have been illiterate country bumpkins but the authors of the Gospels were certainly not. These men were highly educated Jews. Most definitely they didn’t take a few night classes in creative writing. These men sought to preserve Judaism after the destruction of the Temple in 70 AD. Their goal was not to reinvent Judaism but to renew it. They saw the end of the Temple period, not the end of Judaism.

Actually, most of them were not highly educated men.
Acts 4:13 When they saw the courage of Peter and John and realized that they were unschooled, ordinary men, they were astonished and they took note that these men had been with Jesus.

Peter and his brother were fisherman.Matthew was a tax collector.Luke ,who was not one of the original disciples,was a doctor.One of the most, if not the most schooled,was Judas.Paul was a Pharisee schooled in the Word of God.

Levite

Higher and Higher
What texts did Jesus study u recon.

Considering that he was a former student at Rabbi Yehoshua's school, he would have thoroughly studied Tanach (the Hebrew Scriptures), some apocryphal literature (notably Ben Sirach, which was extremely popular with the early Rabbis, 1 Maccabees, and Shoshana [Susanna], but likely others as well), and likely would have heard and discussed oral teachings of the schools of the Zugot. Considering that he seems to have been influenced at some later date by ascetic communities, he might have read some of their proto-midrash, like the sort found amongst the Dead Sea Scrolls. If, like many of the Rabbis, he were literate in other languages besides Hebrew and Aramaic, he probably would've read some Greek philosophy, as well.

The Rabbis were voracious readers, learners, studiers, and had capacious and exacting memory for text. Considering that even in the thirdhand, multiply-redacted, heavily rewritten accounts in the synoptic gospels, Jesus is facile with Tanach, and makes careful midrash in the style of the Rabbis, it seems likely he would have been relatively well read and comparatively textually sophisticated for his time and place.