• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

One God or many gods

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
One God or many gods
paarsurrey said:
There is and can be only One/G-d by default, neither none nor many, one must say, please, right?

And what is one's reasonable argument, please, right?

Regards
Why do you wish to argue? Is it not enough that you have your opinion based on your personal experiences and that others have theirs?

My reasonable argument is that you haven't shared in my or anyone else's personal experiences.

MayPeaceBeUpOnYou

To people on RF who believe in many gods, why do you believe that and not in only one god?

To people on RF who believe in one god, why do you believe that and not in many gods?
While I think it’s a good question, I think it’s a hard to see the both sides arguments and opinions just because the word god means differently for people
The one believes we all humans are god, A another believes in one god that’s outside this realm. A other believes that god came down and died.
Having said that my position is that there is only one god. A god that is the creator of the universe and is in control of everything. God is outside this realm since this realm is his creation.
Even tho he is outside this realm there is something he has told us that even this he is not in this realm he said this

Quran : 50-16
Indeed, ˹it is˺ We ˹Who˺ created humankind and ˹fully˺ know what their souls whisper to them, and We are closer to them than ˹their˺ jugular vein.

Why do I believe he is only and not there are many.
Firstly if you have more then one god and those gods are equal in power then we would live in chaos, meaning the sun rising everyday, what if one of the god decides the sun won’t come up tomorrow. From my view this would create chaos and if we see the universe, we see a some kind of stability.
Secondly people might claim there are more gods but they are not equal then my position would be that if one god has less power then another then I would say then he is not god, god is all power from my beliefs.

Cheers

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Look up pigeon whole principle. Think about the size of God's existence and life amount, to help with that look up different magnitudes of infinity, then realize God is such that he is the highest possible magnitude. That proves God exists (Necessarily) and also no other gods exist (since there can't be any life outside of him rather everything is but a shadow existence).

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
Look up pigeon whole principle. Think about the size of God's existence and life amount, to help with that look up different magnitudes of infinity, then realize God is such that he is the highest possible magnitude. That proves God exists (Necessarily) and also no other gods exist (since there can't be any life outside of him rather everything is but a shadow existence).
I don't see how the pigeonhole principle applies, but I'm not really that interested...

However, in "imagining" God in this manner does not show that God necessarily exists, nor does it say anything about other gods. All it shows is that God and alternative gods are beyond human comprehension...we cannot perceive such deities, and we cannot conceive of them, either. Beyond comprehension means that any ideas we have about deity cannot correspond to 'reality.'

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I don't see how the pigeonhole principle applies, but I'm not really that interested...

However, in "imagining" God in this manner does not show that God necessarily exists, nor does it say anything about other gods. All it shows is that God and alternative gods are beyond human comprehension...we cannot perceive such deities, and we cannot conceive of them, either. Beyond comprehension means that any ideas we have about deity cannot correspond to 'reality.'
If you don't see how pigeonhole principle applies, you never understood any arguments for God's Oneness in the Quran.

God is not known to be one through counting but rather he is one such that he is with all things and nothing is absent from him.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
If you don't see how pigeonhole principle applies, you never understood any arguments for God's Oneness in the Quran.

God is not known to be one through counting but rather he is one such that he is with all things and nothing is absent from him.
Still, incomprehensible. Nonsense posing as 'making sense' of something that is beyond human comprehension.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
Yet God is there, we can look away, or look at it. It's always a choice.
Really? So far, you've claimed that the biggest infinity that we can think of is too small, and so the even greater infinity is therefore NECESSARILY the divinity that created everything that is.

So, you BELIEVE that God is there. No problem.

But it has not been demonstrated, and what you've offered as 'proofs' are conceptually word salad.

I can declare, with just as much certainty as you making yours, that "There is no God there, we can look away, or look for it. It's always a choice."

But it's a choice that cannot be justified by evidence.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Really? So far, you've claimed that the biggest infinity that we can think of is too small, and so the even greater infinity is therefore NECESSARILY the divinity that created everything that is.

So, you BELIEVE that God is there. No problem.

But it has not been demonstrated, and what you've offered as 'proofs' are conceptually word salad.

I can declare, with just as much certainty as you making yours, that "There is no God there, we can look away, or look for it. It's always a choice."

But it's a choice that cannot be justified by evidence.
If God is there in the clear horizon, then like the sun, it cannot be denied. And certainly, it exists to the extent that who we are has no way be not an illusion and falsehood without his vision.

We can't even affirm ourselves without affirming we exist in his vision. Yet aside from that, he is there.

And if you see the bigness + keep in mind possible worlds and pigeon whole principle, you come to know he exists and no gods are with him and nothing exists except by his permission and him giving it life.

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
Not everyone shares your definition of God. Yes, there is only one omnipresent God, so everything that exists must logically be an expression of the one God. It follows logically that these expressions of God are lessor and also not all equal and form a hierarchical/holarchical structure. Thus there are lessor spiritual deities within God sometimes called lessor gods, archangels, angels, etc.. Sometimes these beings have been given names, depending on the religion, like Vishnu, Brahma of the Hindu tradition or Michael, Gabriel of the Abrahamic tradition.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
If God is there in the clear horizon, then like the sun, it cannot be denied. And certainly, it exists to the extent that who we are has no way be not an illusion and falsehood without his vision.

We can't even affirm ourselves without affirming we exist in his vision. Yet aside from that, he is there.

And if you see the bigness + keep in mind possible worlds and pigeon whole principle, you come to know he exists and no gods are with him and nothing exists except by his permission and him giving it life.
nope.

What you have written is nonsense. Such a deity is beyond comprehension, and anything we perceive cannot tell us anything about whether or not such a deity actually exists. We cannot see that God is there 'in the horizon.' All we can affirm is ourselves, and that there is nothing to show that we exist 'in his vision.'

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Not everyone shares your definition of God. Yes, there is only one omnipresent God, so everything that exists must logically be an expression of the one God. It follows logically that these expressions of God are lessor and also not all equal and form a hierarchical/holarchical structure. Thus there are lessor spiritual deities within God sometimes called lessor gods, archangels, angels, etc.. Sometimes these beings have been given names, depending on the religion, like Vishnu, Brahma of the Hindu tradition or Michael, Gabriel of the Abrahamic tradition.
The semantic issue, is that exalted ones are not on par with God. Exalting Gabriel or Mohammad (s) is fine, but not worshiping them. The highest type of respect, reverence, and admiration has to be for God.

God is far above the exalted ones, so just you should not worship yourself, you should not worship exalted ones, but rather only God.

And you can become great, but you can't become at the level of God's chosen and exalted ones. And exalted ones cannot reach God.

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
The semantic issue, is that exalted ones are not on par with God. Exalting Gabriel or Mohammad (s) is fine, but not worshiping them. The highest type of respect, reverence, and admiration has to be for God.

God is far above the exalted ones, so just you should not worship yourself, you should not worship exalted ones, but rather only God.

And you can become great, but you can't become at the level of God's chosen and exalted ones. And exalted ones cannot reach God.
Precisely, archangels, angels, devas, etc., do the will of God, less so most humans. But there is a spiritual evolution going on eternally, and present human souls may attain to Heaven as spiritual beings.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Precisely, archangels, angels, devas, etc., do the will of God, less so most humans. But there is a spiritual evolution going on eternally, and present human souls may attain to Heaven as spiritual beings.
Exalted ones are chosen before. They are far above us. We may reach greatness, but never the level of exalted ones. Exalted ones can't reach God.

In Islam, it keeps a word reserved for God, because God is in a category of greatness far above all others.

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
Exalted ones are chosen before. They are far above us. We may reach greatness, but never the level of exalted ones. Exalted ones can't reach God.

In Islam, it keeps a word reserved for God, because God is in a category of greatness far above all others.
The exalted ones are God! God is everything, yes you too, that is what humans must realize. Jesus said the Father (Omnipresent God) and he are one, that's what he meant, the potential is in each human soul to realize what and who they really are in the context of omnipresent God. and 'be born of the spirit and attain to Heaven.