• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

One God or many gods

Bharat Jhunjhunwala

TruthPrevails
polytheism was rife in the past .. more so than today.
That can be put down to the illiteracy of the majority in times of old
Angels are lesser gods. Abraham if religions have mistaken them for multiple gods. The allegedly multiple gods of hinduism are not persons, not independent. Like the pics of angels they are depicted in idols.

River Sea

YHWH, Allah, and Brahman are the same God; there is only one God.
@Superman7 Actually, I was mistaken about YHWH., because Elohim, Allah, and Brahman are the same God. , @Bharat Jhunjhunwala Explain: YHWH is a lesser God, because YHWH is Brahma, not Brahman?
Because who's YHWH? Who is Brahma? Is YHWH Brahma?

Elohim means strength power.

It's Hashem big bang, so @Ehav4Ever Hashem big bang and Elohim power from the big bang, and YHWH when?

a) Hashem caused the big bang, b) Hashem created the concept of a big bang, and c) Hashem is the source of the big bang.

Oh @Superman7 about getting Holy Spirit, I allow Holy Spirit teach me, Holy Spirit lives in all of us

Last edited:

Sargonski

It all depends when in our history you are pointing to.

The entire Israelite History .... Start to finish :) .. Your mission -- should you choose to accept .. is to find any time period in Israelite History when they are 1) monotheist 2) failing that Monolateralist -- giveing you a huge goalpost move .. but you still will find nothing ..

I tried this myself once .. reading through the entire history from Moses to Assyria destroying Israel ~720BC - see what you come up with.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
The entire Israelite History .... Start to finish :) .. Your mission -- should you choose to accept .. is to find any time period in Israelite History when they are 1) monotheist
Babylon drove polytheism from our system. Since the captivity, Israel has never again fallen into idol worship. It's the main reason we are so vaccinated against the Jesus thing.

Sargonski

Babylon drove polytheism from our system. Since the captivity, Israel has never again fallen into idol worship. It's the main reason we are so vaccinated against the Jesus thing.

Right -- which is long after the Israelites were Gone --- dispersed to the winds of time .. never having known a day of monotheism :)

No idea what "vaccinated against the Jesus thing" means ..

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
To people on RF who believe in many gods, why do you believe that and not in only one god?

To people on RF who believe in one god, why do you believe that and not in many gods?
The Ultimate Being is Unique and incomparable. Those who believe in God will not equate others and hence will call the next in rank exalted ones but not gods.

The thing that proves he is Unique doesn't only prove other gods don't exist but also proves he exists (see ontological argument).

Sargonski

What are you talking about? We are still here to this day.

What does you being here this day have to do with the non existence of Israelite monotheism ? While you may be here to this day .. the Israelite religion is not ... and not the Israelite God YHWH who was killed by Marduk when the Babylonians came to Jerusalem.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
That is not the point. The question simply is that why kill Canaanites for a practice that you yourself follow. The theory behind the practice is not relevant.
The point is: the Israelites did Not practice nor follow as the non-Israelites did .
Please read Jeremiah 32:35; 2nd Chronicles 28:3
The Canaanites were more than just one person. Abraham was one person.
The Canaanites were a nation. Abraham and Isaac were just two people.
The Canaanite people did Not believe there children would come back from the dead.
Abraham and Isaac knew 'they would return' if you would please read Genesis 22:5

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
So to be clear, you are saying you believe in multiple gods?
There are 'many gods, many lords', ( please see 1st Corinthians 8:5-6; Philippians 3:19; Psalm 82 ) but to Christians there is but one God, the Father, ...and one Lord Jesus Christ..... 1st Timothy 2:5; Matthew 23:9
In other words, there is only one ALL MIGHTY ( Almighty God YHWH )

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Everything including holy spirit is God. What is the point. Pl explain.
No. God sends forth His spirit does Not mean God's spirit is God but what God uses - Psalm 104:30
The man Job said at Job 33:4 that God's spirit made him, God's breath brought Job to life. - Psalm 33:6
God used His spirit (His powerful dynamic energy) even to inspire men to write the Bible - 1st Tim. 3:16-17

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
The Ultimate Being is Unique and incomparable. Those who believe in God will not equate others and hence will call the next in rank exalted ones but not gods...................
In the Bible at Psalm 82 we find the word ' gods ' in connection to men appointed as 'human judges' because they were to use God's judgement in their practice of judgement against injustice.
In other words, human judges stood as representing God's will, speaking for God according to God's law.
So, in a judicial sense they were called as 'gods' but never God. Humans never to be worshipped - John10:34-35; 4:23-24

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
There are 'many gods, many lords', ( please see 1st Corinthians 8:5-6; Philippians 3:19; Psalm 82 ) but to Christians there is but one God, the Father, ...and one Lord Jesus Christ..... 1st Timothy 2:5; Matthew 23:9
In other words, there is only one ALL MIGHTY ( Almighty God YHWH )
I'm sorry but I'm having a hard time understanding. First of all, a god is not the same thing as a lord. You can have a lord who is not a god.

But also, you can't really say there are many gods and then turn around and say there is but one God. Either there is none, or just one, or more than one. Can you please clarify what you mean?

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
I'm sorry but I'm having a hard time understanding. First of all, a god is not the same thing as a lord. You can have a lord who is not a god.
But also, you can't really say there are many gods and then turn around and say there is but one God. Either there is none, or just one, or more than one. Can you please clarify what you mean?
Perhaps, it has something to do with the English language.
In Bible speak, God and Lord are just titles. God YHWH makes Moses a 'god' to his brother Aaron - Exodus 7:1
Aaron was directed by Moses who was directed by God YHWH. God gave the authority from Moses to Aaron.
So, in a sense Philippians 3:19 is saying that for some people their belly is their god. ( gluttony)
Thus, what a person puts as 'first' in their life that becomes their 'god'.
Vain people can look in a mirror and see their 'god'.
Because Jesus was faithful to death is why God exalted Jesus to a higher position - Philippians 2:8-11.
All Lord Jesus did was for the Glory of his God - Romans 10:9