• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Original Sin

Heathen Hammer

Nope, you're still wrong
No threat.

But do you believe in a 'greater than you'?
If so...and you blame Him...what then?
It's always a threat from you, Thief, which I've pointed out many times.

What then, indeed? Nothing but surly vengeance as I have pointed out successfully here, and you keep reinforcing. Otherwise stop pretending to be profound and speak without riddles, try speaking plainly 'what then'.

It means nothing to me, outside your system.

All you keep proposing is fearing 'the one greater than you'. try harder, with a better idea.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
It's always a threat from you, Thief, which I've pointed out many times.

What then, indeed? Nothing but surly vengeance as I have pointed out successfully here, and you keep reinforcing. Otherwise stop pretending to be profound and speak without riddles, try speaking plainly 'what then'.

It means nothing to me, outside your system.

All you keep proposing is fearing 'the one greater than you'. try harder, with a better idea.

I've been reading your posts.....try harder to read mine.

If there is no one greater than you....you would be wasting your time here.
Here to learn?...really?

God threatens no one....neither do the servants.
But the angels are displayed with sword.

I see by your banner...you believe in sword play?
(no threat there....yeah right!)

Heathen Hammer

Nope, you're still wrong
I've been reading your posts.....try harder to read mine.

If there is no one greater than you....you would be wasting your time here.
Are you still on your deludes shtick that I'm an atheist? Who needs to try harder again?

Here to learn?...really?
this is in response to nothing I said, who are you speaking to?

God threatens no one....neither do the servants.
But the angels are displayed with sword.
You threaten using God, in many posts. I've pointed it out. Stop pretending to be profound then, and explain what you really mean. You fear to, because I accurately portray what you are actually saying. What then, what is 'the result' you allude to multiple times and never name? Squirm your way out of it if you are able.

If Im wrong, you've avoided the issue for a few posts. Let's see your real cards.

I see by your banner...you believe in sword play?
(no threat there....yeah right!)
What banner? My sig? It is a quote from a British navy chanty about Admiral Benbow's death.

Last edited:

riley2112

As I mentioned in a previous post the serpent told the truth in Eden. And actually, there is a lot of reason to doubt Adam and Eve were possessed of everlasting life; the presence of the Tree of Life in the Garden, which God mentions they NEVER ate of, implies a host of trickery on this subject.

As for Christ dieing with all humanity's sins, since he was not a human and also ascended, well, those sins on him, even unrepentant, really meant nothing. He should have gone to and stayed in, Hell; we certainly get as much for far, far less.
I can tell you do not understand the word or at least not the way that I do, Which does not mean you are wrong, What am I saying , of course you are. Jesus was human, why would you think he was not? And what do you think hell is any way? Do you truly believe it is a place you go to and live in pain the rest of your life. Come on , Read the book, you seem smart enough to be able to tell that is not what the bible says. Hell is the grave, nothing more nothing less. Do you really think that God needs to trick anyone into anything? Like I said , blaming someone else for you own short comings doesn't help anyone. But you believe your way. I am sure it works for you. Good luck with that.But when you are ready to learn, then open up the book and read without the bias opinion that you and I were both raised with. Because the way I was raised about God was a fairy tale also. He is real. Just not the way a lot of people believe him to be.

Heathen Hammer

Nope, you're still wrong
I can tell you do not understand the word or at least not the way that I do, Which does not mean you are wrong, What am I saying , of course you are. Jesus was human, why would you think he was not? And what do you think hell is any way? Do you truly believe it is a place you go to and live in pain the rest of your life. Come on , Read the book, you seem smart enough to be able to tell that is not what the bible says. Hell is the grave, nothing more nothing less. Do you really think that God needs to trick anyone into anything? Like I said , blaming someone else for you own short comings doesn't help anyone. But you believe your way. I am sure it works for you. Good luck with that.But when you are ready to learn, then open up the book and read without the bias opinion that you and I were both raised with. Because the way I was raised about God was a fairy tale also. He is real. Just not the way a lot of people believe him to be.
it seems you can't get your stories straight, though, at least compared to the others responding, so when you do, I can respond more definitively. Until then, I'll chuckle at the scolding. I've more than read the book, I lived it, and I am where I am today thanks to it. None of my shortcomings has been mentioned; i'm talking about God's shortcomings.

Good luck with yours.

It's odd that you believe I've no experience reading the Bible. Possibly I know more about it and its contents than you.

Heathen Hammer

Nope, you're still wrong
Two things though, before I sleep,
Please then, explain the Tree of Life being in the garden, if Adam and Eve were already to live forever, since you understand the word. I did ask earlier.
And then, kindly remember, in that post I was responding to a Christian's own ideas of what the bible says. I'm sorry if you disagree, but perhaps you should discuss with him, which of you is right about what Hell is, and so on.

idea

Question Everything
Please then, explain the Tree of Life being in the garden, if Adam and Eve were already to live forever, since you understand the word. I did ask earlier.

Mind if I jump in?

I believe that the tree of life and the tree of knowledge were placed in the garden in order to teach Adam and Eve good from evil - I am Christian, this is not from the Bible, it is from another book that I consider scripture, and I think explains part of it well:

11 For it must needs be, that there is an opposition in all things. If not so, my first–born in the wilderness, righteousness could not be brought to pass, neither wickedness, neither holiness nor misery, neither good nor bad. Wherefore, all things must needs be a compound in one; wherefore, if it should be one body it must needs remain as dead, having no life neither death, nor corruption nor incorruption, happiness nor misery, neither sense nor insensibility.
12 Wherefore, it must needs have been created for a thing of naught; wherefore there would have been no purpose in the end of its creation. Wherefore, this thing must needs destroy the wisdom of God and his eternal purposes, and also the power, and the mercy, and the justice of God.
13 And if ye shall say there is no law, ye shall also say there is no sin. If ye shall say there is no sin, ye shall also say there is no righteousness. And if there be no righteousness there be no happiness. And if there be no righteousness nor happiness there be no punishment nor misery. And if these things are not there is no God. And if there is no God we are not, neither the earth; for there could have been no creation of things, neither to act nor to be acted upon; wherefore, all things must have vanished away.
14 And now, my sons, I speak unto you these things for your profit and learning; for there is a God, and he hath created all things, both the heavens and the earth, and all things that in them are, both things to act and things to be acted upon.

(Book of Mormon | 2 Nephi 2:11 - 14)

in short, without choices, there would be no free will. Without free will we would be unable to love, unable to do anything of ourselves. I suppose you could ask - why provide the choice between the two trees? why not just choose between harmless apples and oranges? I don't think God wanted our choices to be limited in that way though...

Like Adam and Eve, we are all free to choose - and not just blindly choose, but to make an informed decision after experiencing both sides of life.

Therefore, cheer up your hearts, and remember that ye are free to act for yourselves—to choose the way of everlasting death or the way of eternal life.

(Book of Mormon | 2 Nephi 10:23)

riley2112

Two things though, before I sleep,
And then, kindly remember, in that post I was responding to a Christian's own ideas of what the bible says. I'm sorry if you disagree, but perhaps you should discuss with him, which of you is right about what Hell is, and so on.
Explain the tree of life. :facepalm: I don't know , you don't know, no body knows. All of the things people come up with are just a guess at what happened. So let me make a guess , Garden, plants, trees, OK, how is this? Plants and fruit trees grow in gardens, how is that? Here is another guess. Maybe the tree of life doesn't mean anything other than it was there because that is where it grows. Maybe Eden was not the intended place for man kind to learn what he needs to learn before he can have a true relationship with God. . If God is all powerful , all knowing, then one must contend that in creating man and placing him in an environment where falling was the likely outcome, then obviously God would have had to have man’s fall as a part of His plan. But then again , that is only a guess.
As for hell makes no difference if I am right or someone else is right. What it says in the bible is that hell = grave. That is not me saying it , that is the Bible . But let me make another guess about hell. This is the horror of hell-based Christianity: it turns God, Jesus and Christian mothers into monsters willing to play eternal roulette with the souls of innocent children. Could good mothers live happily in heaven with Jesus, knowing their children were suffering forever because Jesus refused to save them, when he was able to save the thief on the cross with a nod of his head? Please keep in mind that I am not calling Jesus a petty egomaniac. It's the "Bible believing" fundamentalists who turned Jesus into a petty monster with their bizarre theology, not me. I'm a recovering fundamentalist who no longer blasphemes the name of Jesus by accusing him of saving Christians by "grace" while condemning the saints of other religions and non-religions to an "eternal hell." As I have posted previously, the Hebrew word Sheol clearly means "the grave" or "the abode of all the dead, good and bad," not "hell." The Hebrew language doesn't have a word that means "hell" (a startling omission if there really is a "hell" and an all-knowing God spoke to the men who gave us the Bible). So you tell me what I should believe, The Bible or what another man believes it to say. And if you do indeed have knowledge and understanding beyond the bias teachings that most of us had , I would love the opportunity to learn what you believe you could teach me, I am always looking for new opinions to consider. As we both know that is what they are ,OPINIONS. Most opinions are just that , however I have come upon some opinions that was well thought out. Not often , but once in awhile. I would enjoy hearing some of yours. That is if you have more than just questions. :cool:

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Im not scared by your threats.

And the answer is still 'aye'. :)

It is more courageous to oppose a tyrant and die a hero, than to agree to live in slavery forever.

But, again, most folks prefer to be slaves.

I'm certain of liberty.

As for this post of yours....
It bears strong resemblance to another quote......
'Better to rule in hell ....than to serve in heaven."

But then again...how does your digression speak of original sin?

Maybe it does?

Last edited:

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
How do you not?
Because the Biblical account does not present a punishment of us for the acts of another.

So when Adam and Eve go wrong, we have not choice but to be tainted,
Sometimes decisions get made for you, especially by your parents/progenitors...

So when we don´t know right from wrong God is a visible being that has obvious contact with us and tell us what to do and what not (even when in our stupid state, we won´t understand that disobeying him is wrong) but when we can actually tell a difference, he makes a real effort to not give us morals through a completely believable authority as he did with our... grand grandparents.
Seeing as I understand it that Original sin is a separation from God...

Given that he knew before creating each one of us
A simplistic statement from my point of view...

Last edited:

Me Myself

Back to my username
As a humanist, you expect man to be the measure of all things. However, it's God Who reveals truth, justice, beauty and so on to us, not we ourselves through our "reason", "feelings" etc.

My reason and feelings come from God. that´s waht been made in his image is all about.

Me Myself

Back to my username
Because the Biblical account does not present a punishment of us for the acts of another.

Maybe you see being born with sin as awesome, but I would say it is simply a punishment. furthermore, all the things God cursed Adam with are things human in general suffer, so he didn´t just pnuish Adam and even in the mythological account of the bible.

Sometimes decisions get made for you, especially by your parents/progenitors...

ANd god made the decision to not defend me against THEIR incompetence. God´s omission to defend me from my grandfather´s sin is also a decision.

A simplistic statement from my point of view...

A true one too, isn´t it?

Mcshane22

We gave ourself free will so that we can sin
Some believe man can not be virtuous without God Only sinful

"Sin cannot be conceived in a natural state, but only in a civil state, where it is decreed by common consent what is good or bad."
(Baruch Spinoza / 1632-1677 / Ethics / 1677)

glyphkenn

The Bible does not say we are responsible for the sins of Adam and Eve or anyone else. It says that because we are human we inherit the sin nature or propensity to sin. Everyone expresses in one way or another their sinful nature and commits their own sins.There is a big difference.

The bible does say that. " As in Adam all have sinned." I know you say that's not what it ment . And hit me with translation issues. Which would lead me to say this. On the day of Pentecost when the apostles spoke in tongues , did they not speak and everyone understood in whatever language they spoke? Sooo if god wrote a book would he not write it in a universal language . He's god he could make up one. Another bible quote ," the sins of the father will be paid for by his sons and his sons."

glyphkenn

And on top of this I would say.....

Scapegoating does not work. Your sins are your own.

The Carpenter saved no one by dying. His salvation is in His parables.
If His word is not upon your mind and heart....
He will not see His reflection in you.

After you surrender your last breath, the angels will come to see what stands up from the 'broken' clay.
They have the judgment call.
They will ask, and you will respond.
What you say will make all the difference.

They will allow you to follow, or leave you where you fell.

Original sin?
Someone had to be first.
Dogma points to the first two people to walk with God.
That's as for as that discussion should ever have gone.

You are highly logical by saying his words is what saves us. However you are equally shrouded in mystery and superstition with your after life theories .

Heathen Hammer

Nope, you're still wrong
Explain the tree of life. :facepalm: I don't know , you don't know, no body knows. All of the things people come up with are just a guess at what happened. So let me make a guess , Garden, plants, trees, OK, how is this? Plants and fruit trees grow in gardens, how is that? Here is another guess. Maybe the tree of life doesn't mean anything other than it was there because that is where it grows. Maybe Eden was not the intended place for man kind to learn what he needs to learn before he can have a true relationship with God. . If God is all powerful , all knowing, then one must contend that in creating man and placing him in an environment where falling was the likely outcome, then obviously God would have had to have man’s fall as a part of His plan. But then again , that is only a guess.
As for hell makes no difference if I am right or someone else is right. What it says in the bible is that hell = grave. That is not me saying it , that is the Bible . But let me make another guess about hell. This is the horror of hell-based Christianity: it turns God, Jesus and Christian mothers into monsters willing to play eternal roulette with the souls of innocent children. Could good mothers live happily in heaven with Jesus, knowing their children were suffering forever because Jesus refused to save them, when he was able to save the thief on the cross with a nod of his head? Please keep in mind that I am not calling Jesus a petty egomaniac. It's the "Bible believing" fundamentalists who turned Jesus into a petty monster with their bizarre theology, not me. I'm a recovering fundamentalist who no longer blasphemes the name of Jesus by accusing him of saving Christians by "grace" while condemning the saints of other religions and non-religions to an "eternal hell." As I have posted previously, the Hebrew word Sheol clearly means "the grave" or "the abode of all the dead, good and bad," not "hell." The Hebrew language doesn't have a word that means "hell" (a startling omission if there really is a "hell" and an all-knowing God spoke to the men who gave us the Bible). So you tell me what I should believe, The Bible or what another man believes it to say. And if you do indeed have knowledge and understanding beyond the bias teachings that most of us had , I would love the opportunity to learn what you believe you could teach me, I am always looking for new opinions to consider. As we both know that is what they are ,OPINIONS. Most opinions are just that , however I have come upon some opinions that was well thought out. Not often , but once in awhile. I would enjoy hearing some of yours. That is if you have more than just questions. :cool:

Well, we still see the problem that the doctrine itself still is not fixed in the minds of those who must follow it; your ideas differ from the other posters responding, so, how am I supposed to make decisions and thence statements, on a subject that is essentially a wisp of smoke?

It seems essentially dangerous to me, that a doctrine which regards keeping your mortal soul intact and somehow pleasing to your God, isn't even really known, this far in the future of the writing of the book. In my eyes, well.. that's a huge problem.

What you say 'that's the Bible saying it', it doesn't seem to have been said to your fellows.

Any understanding I have that you might see as teaching that you'd pay any heed, has essentially already been said. "Do you want to know more?", as the Allfather would say... well, then take the points I've made and consider them. Then make your own decisions. It is my job to engage you in The Circle where we've all gathered voluntarily. Afterwards, it's up to you to meld anything said to you into your worldview. Only your own mind can come to conclusions you will hold as valid. Seek your 'eureka' moment if you desire it :D

- unless that was 100% facetious, in which case, /raspberry :)

If you even want to.

Over the past many pages I've pointed out a number of really bad implications in the Eden story when it's taken as a whole and actually dissected rationally and in an actual moral context. It's easy for someone raised with it, to simply listen to rote words and then grab at a meaning somebody, who also never went in depth with it, spouts as an inserted conclusion not supported by the tale itself. It's not easy to tear it to shreds and face the stark reality of the pieces.

Roll a d20.

Last edited:

Heathen Hammer

Nope, you're still wrong
Mind if I jump in?

I believe that the tree of life and the tree of knowledge were placed in the garden in order to teach Adam and Eve good from evil - I am Christian, this is not from the Bible, it is from another book that I consider scripture, and I think explains part of it well:

11 For it must needs be, that there is an opposition in all things. If not so, my first–born in the wilderness, righteousness could not be brought to pass, neither wickedness, neither holiness nor misery, neither good nor bad. Wherefore, all things must needs be a compound in one; wherefore, if it should be one body it must needs remain as dead, having no life neither death, nor corruption nor incorruption, happiness nor misery, neither sense nor insensibility.
12 Wherefore, it must needs have been created for a thing of naught; wherefore there would have been no purpose in the end of its creation. Wherefore, this thing must needs destroy the wisdom of God and his eternal purposes, and also the power, and the mercy, and the justice of God.
13 And if ye shall say there is no law, ye shall also say there is no sin. If ye shall say there is no sin, ye shall also say there is no righteousness. And if there be no righteousness there be no happiness. And if there be no righteousness nor happiness there be no punishment nor misery. And if these things are not there is no God. And if there is no God we are not, neither the earth; for there could have been no creation of things, neither to act nor to be acted upon; wherefore, all things must have vanished away.
14 And now, my sons, I speak unto you these things for your profit and learning; for there is a God, and he hath created all things, both the heavens and the earth, and all things that in them are, both things to act and things to be acted upon.

(Book of Mormon | 2 Nephi 2:11 - 14)

in short, without choices, there would be no free will. Without free will we would be unable to love, unable to do anything of ourselves. I suppose you could ask - why provide the choice between the two trees? why not just choose between harmless apples and oranges? I don't think God wanted our choices to be limited in that way though...

Like Adam and Eve, we are all free to choose - and not just blindly choose, but to make an informed decision after experiencing both sides of life.

Therefore, cheer up your hearts, and remember that ye are free to act for yourselves—to choose the way of everlasting death or the way of eternal life.

(Book of Mormon | 2 Nephi 10:23)
A pleasure, please do!

Well, er, I am unfamiliar with the context of the book of Mormon, so I don't know who is speaking these words, and thus I can't comment on the authority [if any] these words even have on the subject.

Who is this speaking here?

I don't know if these words are supposed to be spoken during Eden or any time after, and to whom; and the voice appears very modern in its content, and not similar to the author's voice of Genesis.

As to your first comment: well, how can the two trees be an either/or? I see how you are seeing it, I think, but, if Adam and Eve were already created to live forever, the question I originally asked remains: if they are immortal the Tree of Life is superfluous. Why is it there?

They didn't need it.

[edit] Also I wanted to address:
Adam and Eve were incapable of making an informed decision.

Last edited: