• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Original Sin

Heathen Hammer

Nope, you're still wrong
Where does it say "same day?" I'm not seeing it.
Where does it say 'not the same day', I'm not seeing it.

The implicit concept is that something you eat will slay you, as an immediate result.

[Later edit]
Better yet, God's own words, from Hebrew:
Gen 2:17
But of the tree of the
knowledge of good and
evil, thou shalt not eat of it:
for in the day that thou
eatest thereof thou shalt
surely die.

IN THE DAY

Last edited:

Sleeppy

Fatalist. Christian. Pacifist.
Where does it say 'not the same day', I'm not seeing it.

The implicit concept is that something you eat will slay you, as an immediate result.

Exactly. You set that restriction "same day," not the words.

There was no specification of when the death would occur.

Sleeppy

I am reading this exchange but as I mentioned earlier, this is irrelevant, because you are still speaking of a time BEFORE the fruit was eaten, as if they possessed understanding possible only AFTER the fruit was eaten.

You appear to be avoiding the actual issue.

You're saying that the understanding was gained from the fruit. I'm telling you it wasn't.

Heathen Hammer

Nope, you're still wrong
It's absolutely absurd, though, to try to make such a desperate distinction.

If you are presented, Sleeppy, with an edible object before you and someone else warns you not to eat it or you'll die, describe what image or manner, in your mind, in which the death you are warned of, occurs. Does it occur randomly some time in the far future, or do you believe you'll die for all intents and purposes, immediately?

You are attempting apologetics. Feel free to show us the native Hebrew of this scripture and explain how the words imply a nebulous future event rather than an immediate event.

Last edited:

Sleeppy

It's absolutely absurd, though, to try to make such a desperate distinction.

If you are presented, Sleeppy, with an edible object before you and someone else warns you not to eat it or you'll die, describe what image in your mind the death you are warned of, occurs. Does it occur randomly some time in the far future, or do you believe you'll die immediately?

You are attempting apologetics. Feel free to show us the native Hebrew of this scripture and explain how the words imply a nebulous future event rather than an immediate event.

You're putting your own little spin onto the text. It doesn't specify when they would die. Your thought isn't going to change the text.

Heathen Hammer

Nope, you're still wrong
According to you.
No need to be petulant as well as being wrong. Not according to me, according to the scripture.

But Sleeppy you're the one trying to change the text. That's what apologetics is.

Describe your thoughts about the edible object as I asked, please.

Last edited:

Sleeppy

But Sleeppy you're the one trying to change the text. That's what apologetics is.

Describe your thoughts about the edible object as I asked, please.

How? You're bringing up thoughts, like they change anything. A "What would you think if I said this," type of thing.

The text doesn't specify.

Romans 6:23 For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Did you want to set a time constraint on these too?

Heathen Hammer

Nope, you're still wrong
How? You're bringing up thoughts, like they change anything. A "What would you think if I said this," type of thing.

The text doesn't specify.
Actually we both know what I'm doing: I am forcing you to place yourself in the same situation and then reveal to us what you would think, thereby forcing you to admit that you would, in the same situation, agree with what I am saying, rather than what you are trying to shoehorn into the tale.
And you are refusing to admit it, refusing to go through the exercise, because you realize I am right.

Did you want to set a time constraint on these too?
Did you want to add anything extra to those too? And besides, quoting Paul is irrelevant; that's not God speaking, and he misinterpreted a heck of a lot, too :)

Sleeppy

Actually we both know what I'm doing: I am forcing you to place yourself in the same situation and then reveal to us what you would think, thereby forcing you to admit that you would, in the same situation, agree with what I am saying, rather than what you are trying to shoehorn into the tale.
And you are refusing to admit it, refusing to go through the exercise, because you realize I am right.

Did you want to add anything extra to those too? And besides, quoting Paul is irrelevant; that's not God speaking, and he misinterpreted a heck of a lot, too :)

Honestly, no. You're not right. I'm also not arrogant enough to realize I'm wrong and stick to being wrong. But, it seems to me that I can't reason with you, so I'll leave you to whatever assumption you may have.

If you want to cross reference, look it up.. Romans 6:23 For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Heathen Hammer

Nope, you're still wrong
Let's be honest here. If you warn a kid about touching a hot stove burning them [a comparison so often brought up for this], do you state or infer the burn will happen immediately, or sometime in teh future? If you're presented with a poisoned apple, will it kill you when you eat it, or some years in teh future?

When Adam and Eve ate of the apple, did they gain the knowledge of Good and Evil right that instant? Or some time in the far future?

We all know the answers to these questions; and to attempt to suddenly alter this universal conclusion for one specific Bible tale, simply because this normal circumstance completely screws up the viability of the tale and shoots it to pieces, is blatantly intellectually dishonest.

Heathen Hammer

Nope, you're still wrong
I'm also not arrogant enough to realize I'm wrong and stick to being wrong.
Actually, you are that arrogant, as is being demonstrated.

You're not being reasonable with me, you're throwing a tantrum and insulting me, because you were wrong about something.

I find that happens a lot here.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
people are sinful through being humans - all to do with the ego.

Everyone's ego needs massaging - one of the ways in which we survive - however for most people the best massage comes from trampling on someone else's , I guess it makes us feel good.

this condition was inserted into the human DNA system by Satan around the time of Adam and Eve.

Really?....omg.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Let's be honest here. If you warn a kid about touching a hot stove burning them [a comparison so often brought up for this], do you state or infer the burn will happen immediately, or sometime in teh future? If you're presented with a poisoned apple, will it kill you when you eat it, or some years in teh future?

When Adam and Eve ate of the apple, did they gain the knowledge of Good and Evil right that instant? Or some time in the far future?

We all know the answers to these questions; and to attempt to suddenly alter this universal conclusion for one specific Bible tale, simply because this normal circumstance completely screws up the viability of the tale and shoots it to pieces, is blatantly intellectually dishonest.

Gotta ask....do you think Adam existed at all?

Sleeppy

This is the last time I'll answer these questions from you.

Again.. Saying, "Don't touch that hot stove, or it will burn you," does not specify when. Neither does saying, "Don't eat that, or you'll get fat."

They didn't gain any knowledge. They were released to their own decisions of good and evil. What sense does it make to say we have the knowledge of good and evil, from a fruit our ancestors ate, if it's obvious we don't. If that was true, there would be no need for Moses to come down from the mountain with tablets with commandments on them.

Sleeppy

Actually, you are that arrogant, as is being demonstrated.

You're not being reasonable with me, you're throwing a tantrum and insulting me, because you were wrong about something.

I find that happens a lot here.

Wait.. When did I insult you?

..or throw a tantrum for that matter?