• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Overturning Roe V Wade

amorphous_constellation

Don't take this as an insult....
You sound like a libertarian.

I have acquired libertarian traits over the course of time, but some things for me still seem very complicated. I have some caveats. I don't think that tools, methods, or beliefs are necessarily agnostic. I think endless production of people might impinge on the rights of nature, which is a force that I think is actually imbued with personhood.

amorphous_constellation

What you are missing is what rights do the unborn have? Some people think they have a rights as well.

I think that the soul, which is non-biological, merely travels ahead in time a short ways, and joins with a new body.

I think abortion is fine up until the fetus gets past a certain point, where it gets too human. Most people on both sides of the issue do see a line that shouldn't be crossed. I'm not up to speed however, on what the current republican position is - do they still think it is bad to do it at any point?

How about in vitro fertilization? I don't really know a lot about that, but in that situation, can there be a number of fertilized eggs that are terminated? Are those unborn people technically, even if they are outside the body for a while

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I have acquired libertarian traits over the course of time, but some things for me still seem very complicated. I have some caveats. I don't think that tools, methods, or beliefs are necessarily agnostic. I think endless production of people might impinge on the rights of nature, which is a force that I think is actually imbued with personhood.
If it ever gets un-complicated, then you've a problem.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
So I’m sure many have heard that the Supreme Court is mulling over whether or not to overturn Roe V Wade. It looks like they are, that’s what the news stations are saying anyway

But as a non American I fear I may not fully understand the implications.

So can you help me out a bit here guys?

What does that hypothetical scenario look like in the long run?

Can it be legally challenged?

Why would this be decided by your Supreme Court in the first place? This is like a constitution thing, is that right?

And do you think this will set off a chain reaction of some kind?
I can only imagine the protests that would occur if something similar happened in literally any other Western Nation today.

As you mentioned the Constitution, it is conceivable that an amendment could be proposed which would declare the right to abortion as a human right. That may be the only way to settle this question once and for all.

But it's not that easy to change the Constitution.

I don't know if it will set off a chain reaction. There are some who might protest, and perhaps it might galvanize some voting blocs.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Strictly speaking, abortion laws really can't stop abortion. There would still be underground, back-alley abortions - for the right price.
And when it comes to the late term abortions that anti-abortionists hate so much will be increased due to making safe abortions illegal. There will be two sources. First off almost all late term abortion will still be legal because they are almost always done due to medical necessity. Second an illegal abortion is going to be later than a simple and safe chemical abortion. Women driven to abortion by desperation will have the kind of abortion that those people hate the most.

Brickjectivity

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
As you mentioned the Constitution, it is conceivable that an amendment could be proposed which would declare the right to abortion as a human right. That may be the only way to settle this question once and for all.

But it's not that easy to change the Constitution.

I don't know if it will set off a chain reaction. There are some who might protest, and perhaps it might galvanize some voting blocs.
What needs to happen is the public dialogue must change from one about rights to one that recognizes the problems women face. 'Right' is merely an abstract word and does not square against 'Life of the fetus'.

One day Orbit laid out very succinctly why abortions were necessary and in a way I'd never heard from anyone. Fact is, they are a necessity for those reasons; but those reasons rarely or never come up in conversing about the subject.

Since the time or Roe vs. Wade the public dialogue has never improved, and so we have today's results.

I bet you're wondering what she said.

Audie

Veteran Member
Supreme Court apparently to overturn Roe, draft opinion shows: Report
Excerpted...
An apparent draft Supreme Court opinion obtained by Politico shows the panel's conservative majority of justices is ready to overturn nearly 50 years of established abortion rights precedent since Roe v. Wade.

The document, which Politico said it obtained from a "person familiar with the court's proceedings," is marked "first draft" and dated Feb. 10, 2022 -- two months after oral arguments were heard in the case Dobbs v. Jackson Women's Health Organization. ABC News has not independently confirmed the draft.

"Roe was egregiously wrong from the start," writes Justice Samuel Alito, the opinion's apparent author, in a copy of the draft posted online.

MORE: Conservative Supreme Court majority appears inclined to scale back abortion rights
The leak is an extraordinary breach of Supreme Court protocol and tradition. Never before has such a consequential draft opinion been leaked to the public before publication.

Reached by ABC News, a Supreme Court spokeswoman declined to comment.

Never,before.
Ha
Roe V Wade was leaked

Audie

Veteran Member
It's weird that abortion laws can stop abortions and yet gun laws can't stop shootings.
What is weird is you didnt notice that
both achieve partial results, which is
all you can get from any law.

Couple of other unnoticrd things also
noticed but one is enuf

Clizby Wampuscat

I think that the soul, which is non-biological, merely travels ahead in time a short ways, and joins with a new body.
Source?

I think abortion is fine up until the fetus gets past a certain point, where it gets too human. Most people on both sides of the issue do see a line that shouldn't be crossed. I'm not up to speed however, on what the current republican position is - do they still think it is bad to do it at any point?
I think most republicans believe that any abortion is wrong.

How about in vitro fertilization? I don't really know a lot about that, but in that situation, can there be a number of fertilized eggs that are terminated? Are those unborn people technically, even if they are outside the body for a while
I don't know much about is either.

Audie

Veteran Member
I know
But not being an American, I’m not too versed on the implications

As a observer of america i observed the
hyperbolic falsehood about " unprecedented "
as so utterly typical of like in america.

The long term implications? Itjust goes to
the states to do theirown laws.
Let the Wild Rumpus begin!

Longer term, its more Titanic deck chairs
to rearrange.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
So I’m sure many have heard that the Supreme Court is mulling over whether or not to overturn Roe V Wade. It looks like they are, that’s what the news stations are saying anyway

But as a non American I fear I may not fully understand the implications.

So can you help me out a bit here guys?

What does that hypothetical scenario look like in the long run?

Can it be legally challenged?

Why would this be decided by your Supreme Court in the first place? This is like a constitution thing, is that right?

And do you think this will set off a chain reaction of some kind?
I can only imagine the protests that would occur if something similar happened in literally any other Western Nation today.

My understanding it that the opinion is that it should not be determine by the court system. It should be determine by legislation. So it becomes the the responsibility of the state or even federal legislation to pass laws regarding abortion. Basically they want to kick the ball back to the law makers to take responsibility for the laws that govern us.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Basically, at that point, it simply goes to the individual States to make their decision what they want to do. You will have some states that will be pro-life and others pro-abortion.

It's not that simple because I think at least one state wants to charge a crime to anyone who travels to another state to have an abortion.

We now also have some businesses saying they would pay expenses for women who travel to another state to have an abortion.

Meanwhile Senator Collins is apparently surprised that two of the justices lied during their confirmation hearing when asked about Roe v Wade. It's hard to believe she's really surprised and not just paying the political game but maybe she's really that naive Sen. Susan Collins: Supreme Court Overturning Roe V. Wade Would Be 'Completely Inconsistent' With Gorsuch, Kavanaugh Hearings

Audie

Veteran Member
Source?

I think most republicans believe that any abortion is wrong.

I don't know much about is either.

I find it hard to see how anyone can really
think abortion at any age can be morally
acceptable above the level of it being an
unfortunate expedient.

Like triage afrer a disaster.
Some who might have survived are left
untreated in favour of those with a better chance.