• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Part of being Privileged is not having to think about being Privileged

Me Myself

Back to my username
It's best to treat others well in both word & deed.

Hows that for a trite little platitude?!?

word is a minimal part of an actual message.

Wait no, now that I think of it:

I agree with you so much :sarcastic

I agree with you so much :yes:

I agree with you so much! :D

I agree with you so much :rolleyes:

I agree with you so much :no:

You see?

"black" is deemed as some as non pc. I dont care. If I were in US and someone called me wetback I'd judge him by tone and body language and by reaction to similar contrary slurs I make about him in similar tones and body language.

Assuming he is insulting me simply by his usage of the word wetback is in my opinion an incredibly superficial judgement based on most insufficient information.

Alceste

Vagabond
Exactly. It sucks for like half a moment, then you're like "wait a second, I'm white!", and you continue to have an awesome day.

Yeah, basically. Not that all my days are awesome, but basically if somebody called me a cracker or a honky there wouldn't be a single fiber of my being that worried I might be about to get lynched.

Alceste

Vagabond
मैत्रावरुणिः;3439630 said:
Namaste,

That is white privilege.

M.V.

Yeah, that's exactly what I'm trying to say. :)

Alceste

Vagabond
मैत्रावरुणिः;3439669 said:
Namaste,

I envy white privilege.

I want brown privilege. And, black privilege. And, Asian privilege.

:sad4: :sad4: :sad4:

M.V.

Me too. :) I want privilege for all sentient beings, and humans in particular.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
As we see in this thread, many defend such language toward white folk, with the rational being that racism towards black folk is worse, & that it doesn't bother them.

Wait, we do? Oh, I guess by "we", you mean you. I don't see anyone doing that, but maybe it's because I'm looking at things as they are, not as I want them to be.

It's sure not as fun to have a discussion/debate when the "other side" constantly mischaracterizes your comments. For the 80th time (give or take) no one is defending anything. We're saying terms like "honky" and "cracker" are not the equivalent of terms like the N word. Please at least take a moment to understand this before responding in this thread anymore.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
We're saying terms like "honky" and "cracker" are not the equivalent of terms like the N word.
No one disputes that, yet it's continually trotted out when anyone
objects to racist language. This appears to support "racist lite" epithets.

Please at least take a moment to understand this before responding in this thread anymore.
What a precious little fellow you are!

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Me too. At least they're honest. A Neo-nazi will tell a minority to **** off. A PC liberal will smile and wave, while clutching their purse extra tight and not making any sudden movements. Also, I find PC language to be condescending and offensive, more so than hate speech. Why are we supposed to call midgets "dwarves"? If I was a midget, I wouldn't want someone to call me a mythical creature. And absolutely nothing is more condescending than calling handicapped people "handi-capable"... Ugh...

So, you like hatred and bigotry more than attempts to consider others' feelings? I'll take consideration for others' feelings even when taken too far over hatred and bigotry any day. Most "PC" stuff isn't bad; it's just gotten a bad rap. But even the really stupid stuff is just mildly annoying.

For instance, a former poster here has recently started using the term "U.S. Americans" to differentiate between Americans from the U.S.A. and "Americans" from other parts of North and South America. She does this because she says she's heard some people from other countries complain about the use of "American" only for U.S. people. It's really annoying and stupid to me, mainly because it's pointless. However, I'll take that any day of the week over some racist spouting off about ******* and coons and white supremacy.

Poeticus

| abhyAvartin |
So, you like hatred and bigotry more than attempts to consider others' feelings? I'll take consideration for others' feelings even when taken too far over hatred and bigotry any day. Most "PC" stuff isn't bad; it's just gotten a bad rap. But even the really stupid stuff is just mildly annoying.

For instance, a former poster here has recently started using the term "U.S. Americans" to differentiate between Americans from the U.S.A. and "Americans" from other parts of North and South America. She does this because she says she's heard some people from other countries complain about the use of "American" only for U.S. people. It's really annoying and stupid to me, mainly because it's pointless. However, I'll take that any day of the week over some racist spouting off about ******* and coons and white supremacy.

Namaste,

Co*** wasn't censored? Oh boy...

M.V.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
No one disputes that, yet it's continually trotted out when anyone objects to racist language. This appears to support "racist lite" epithets.

It only appears that way to you. It's OK to object to such language when it's used the same way people would use the N word. When it's brought up in the context of a discussion about white privilege, as in "yeah, but 'they' get to say racist stuff to us", it's misplaced.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
It only appears that way to you. It's OK to object to such language when it's used the same way people would use the N word. When it's brought up in the context of a discussion about white privilege, as in "yeah, but 'they' get to say racist stuff to us", it's misplaced.
Someone's cranky this morning.

Apex

Somewhere Around Nothing
Someone could write a masters thesis on why racism still exists in N. America and why it will not be going away any time soon using just the posts in this thread.

I.S.L.A.M617

Illuminatus
So, you like hatred and bigotry more than attempts to consider others' feelings?
Yes. I'm more offended when someone says the actual words "the N word" than when they say "******". Their fear of actually saying the word "******" is more detrimental to race relations than the word itself will ever be.

I.S.L.A.M617

Illuminatus
Why is that?

It only helps to perpetuate the power that the word ****** has over people. Think Harry Potter when nobody wanted to say "Voldemort". It made the man that much scarier, but in the end, he got killed by some scrawny English kid. We can easily get over the stigma attached to the word ******, and take away the power a racist feels when using it if we just stop being so scared to say it.

ignition

It only helps to perpetuate the power that the word ****** has over people. Think Harry Potter when nobody wanted to say "Voldemort". It made the man that much scarier, but in the end, he got killed by some scrawny English kid. We can easily get over the stigma attached to the word ******, and take away the power a racist feels when using it if we just stop being so scared to say it.
Actually Voldermort and the death eaters could detect anyone who said voldermort's name if I'm not mistaken, that was revealed in the last book so I'm not sure that's a good analogy haha