• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pelosi holds vote Thursday

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
EIFXdDIXYAUjgre.jpg:large
Looks totally unfair to me!!

Seriously we all knew that the Republicans would ***** and moan no matter what rules the Democrats used. They want a full trial in the House which is not what it is supposed to be doing. They are bending over backwards for the President and it is still not good enough.

dianaiad

At this moment I can only confess that I have not read the bill. When I have had time to read it, consider it, and put in in historical perspective I will give you my opinion on it.

Is that fair?

Fair enough. I'll be interested to see what you have to say about that particular provision.

Jose Fly

Fisker of men
Looks totally unfair to me!!

Seriously we all knew that the Republicans would ***** and moan no matter what rules the Democrats used. They want a full trial in the House which is not what it is supposed to be doing. They are bending over backwards for the President and it is still not good enough.
Pretty soon they'll move on to the next argument. Remember how this was all illegitimate because the whisteblower didn't have first-hand info? Of course now that people with first-hand info have come forward, suddenly that doesn't matter any more, does it?

Riders

the vote went through and I told you so! For those saying the vote would not take place you were wrong viote went through!The is have it all but 2 voted for the inquiry!!!!!!!!!!!!111

Riders

Given that it is the right that has been having a fit because Pelosi has been REFUSING to have a vote, I believe that you have this the wrong way around. It won't be the Republicans sabotaging any vote on Thursday. I'll bet it won't happen, but it will be the Dems who sink it.

It is not to the dem's advantage to have this vote. It gives supoena power to the right, and a bunch of other legal rights that the Republicans have been unhappy about being denied.

Nope, this vote will be a good thing. Either way...if it passes, then Trump can actually defend himself against the star chamber the dems have set up here. If it doesn't, the whole thing goes away.

Either way, the Republicans win and the Democrats lose. So....there will be no vote on Thursday. That's the LAST thing that Pelosi and her crowd want. they will cosh it somehow.

AND they will attempt to blame the Republicans, AND people like you will swallow the Kool-aid.

The vote happened, all but 2 voted yes.

dianaiad

The vote happened, all but 2 voted yes.

All but two DEMOCRATS voted yes. I'm very impressed by those two, btw.

I also see that contrary to claims in here, the Republicans did NOT stop it.

though to be honest, they should have. the provisions of the rules are pretty obviously 'fixed.'

I supposed that any access to the process is better than no access to the process, which is how it's been until now for Trump.

"Kangaroo court" is the term that comes to mind.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member

though to be honest, they should have. the provisions of the rules are pretty obviously 'fixed.'

I supposed that any access to the process is better than no access to the process, which is how it's been until now for Trump.

Once again, this is more akin to a Grand Jury than anything else at this stage. There is nothing "kangaroo" about it. In a regular case a defendant does not have access to the witnesses until the actual trial. Republicans are being amazing whiners and hypocrites here.

pearl

At least now the Republicans will have SOME ability to defend/react/examine things, where before today they had absolutely none.

Does anyone find it curious that the Republican response has been to address the proceedings and ignore Trump's actions?

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Does anyone find it curious that the Republican response has been to address the proceedings and ignore Trump's actions?
No surprise at all as the Pubs are especially "tribal". As the evidence is mounting and quite damning against Trump & Co, they shifted to whine about the proceedings saying that it all should be public, but now that it was announced that most of the next hearings will be public they're whining about that.

I wonder if they like cheese with their whine?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
No surprise at all as the Pubs are especially "tribal". As the evidence is mounting and quite damning against Trump & Co, they shifted to whine about the proceedings saying that it all should be public, but now that it was announced that most of the next hearings will be public they're whining about that.

I wonder if they like cheese with their whine?
That tribalism shows up in some members too. Supporters of Trump that wanted an open hearing should be wondering why no Republicans voted for what they wanted. Perhaps they could see that an open hearing would bring out they want to keep hidden:

itsatrap.jpg

dianaiad

No.

First, because until now the Republicans haven't been allowed any part in 'examining actions.' ...and even now their involvement is curtailed. Doesn't anyone find it, er, 'curious' that even now, after the vote, only the Democrats have free reign to subpoena or call for evidence without let or hindrance from the Republicans...but the Republicans must ask the Democrats for permission to do so, and the Democrats can veto ANYTHING they want to do?

Second, this is pretty much all about that blasted phone call, it seems more than a little weird that everybody is all excited about it, the 'whistle blower' and what others might have overheard. WE HAVE THE BLASTED TRANSCRIPT. We know precisely what went on in it. So what the Dems want to do is figure out how to practice enough eisegesis to read into it stuff nobody can get from what's actually in there.

It's all about the process. NONE of this is about what Trump did or may have done. It's ALL about the Democrats wanting to undo an election they didn't like, and fix the next one.

Riders

No.

First, because until now the Republicans haven't been allowed any part in 'examining actions.' ...and even now their involvement is curtailed. Doesn't anyone find it, er, 'curious' that even now, after the vote, only the Democrats have free reign to subpoena or call for evidence without let or hindrance from the Republicans...but the Republicans must ask the Democrats for permission to do so, and the Democrats can veto ANYTHING they want to do?

Second, this is pretty much all about that blasted phone call, it seems more than a little weird that everybody is all excited about it, the 'whistle blower' and what others might have overheard. WE HAVE THE BLASTED TRANSCRIPT. We know precisely what went on in it. So what the Dems want to do is figure out how to practice enough eisegesis to read into it stuff nobody can get from what's actually in there.

It's all about the process. NONE of this is about what Trump did or may have done. It's ALL about the Democrats wanting to undo an election they didn't like, and fix the next one.
He attempted to get a foreign leader to meddle and influence the 2020 election to his favor. Thats monstrous.......

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
No.

That is simply not true. Even before this happened Republicans could question the witnesses. Don't drink the Kool-Aid.

Last edited:

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member

They're the same provisions set by the Republicans during the Clinton impeachment. Actually, they're better for Trump.
Nobody should be whining about this. Least of all the Republicans since they're using their very own rules. But they will anyway.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
No.

We don't have the actual transcript, actually. That has been locked away in a secret server, for some reason.

What we actually have is this:

"CAUTION: A Memorandum of a Telephone Conversation.· (TELCON) is not a verbatim transcript of a discussion. The text in this document records the notes and recollections of Situation Room Duty "Officers and-NSC policy staff assigned t_o listen.and memorialize the conversation in written form as the conversation takes place. A numper of factors can affect 'the accuracy of the reco�d, including poor telecommunications connections and variations in accent and/or interpretation. The word "inaudible" is used to indifate portions of a conversation that the notetaker was unable to hear."
https://www.whitehouse.gov/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/Unclassified09.2019.pdf

But even without the full and exact transcript, the stuff the White House released is pretty damning in itself. Though Trump doesn't seem to realize that.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
They're the same provisions set by the Republicans during the Clinton impeachment. Actually, they're better for Trump.
Nobody should be whining about this. Least of all the Republicans since they're using their very own rules. But they will anyway.
And this needs to be a key strategy of the Democrats. They need to keep pounding the fact that the President has more rights than Clinton had during his impeachment investigation. The Kool-Aid drinkers will never get it, but those in the middle will. And when Republicans start seeing votes slip away as they defend this foul man they will begin to rethink their blind support.

dianaiad

He attempted to get a foreign leader to meddle and influence the 2020 election to his favor. Thats monstrous.......

I take it that you didn't actually read the transcript of the phone call, but only what the Dems want you to think about it?

Stay tuned....

dianaiad

No they are not, if only for the FACT that in neither Nixon's nor Clinon's case did it take WEEKS to get the opposing party to even hold a vote on an inquiry, thus shutting out the 'other guy' from any examination of the evidence, while spinning the propaganda wildly around.