• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pelosi holds vote Thursday

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
And this needs to be a key strategy of the Democrats. They need to keep pounding the fact that the President has more rights than Clinton had during his impeachment investigation. The Kool-Aid drinkers will never get it, but those in the middle will. And when Republicans start seeing votes slip away as they defend this foul man they will begin to rethink their blind support.
Absolutely! They need to shout it from the roof tops.

Unfortunately, I'm not all that confident that they will, given how wussy they can be at times.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
No they are not, if only for the FACT that in neither Nixon's nor Clinon's case did it take WEEKS to get the opposing party to even hold a vote on an inquiry, thus shutting out the 'other guy' from any examination of the evidence, while spinning the propaganda wildly around.
Except that they are.

In Clinton's case, the investigation part was done by outside parties (I.e. Ken Starr), so Congress didn't have the need to hold an investigation on that portion. In this case, the investigation had to be done by Congress, because the DOJ failed in their duty to follow up on the whisteblower's report. Now they move onto the public hearings portion of the inquiry. The entire time this inquiry has been going on, Republicans (47 of them) have been present on all six committees involved in the inquiry.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...is-impeachment-process-compare-nixon-clinton/
Trump’s impeachment inquiry vs. Nixon, Clinton, more

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Except that they are.

In Clinton's case, the investigation part was done by outside parties (I.e. Ken Starr), so Congress didn't have the need to hold an investigation on that portion. In this case, the investigation had to be done by Congress, because the DOJ failed in their duty to follow up on the whisteblower's report. Now they move onto the public hearings portion of the inquiry. The entire time this inquiry has been going on, Republicans (47 of them) have been present on all six committees involved in the inquiry.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...is-impeachment-process-compare-nixon-clinton/
Personally I think that Barr could be part of the impeachment process as well. I die not like Jeff Sessions, but at least he had integrity. Which is of course why Trump fired him.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
Personally I think that Barr could be part of the impeachment process as well. I die not like Jeff Sessions, but at least he had integrity. Which is of course why Trump fired him.
Interesting ... I can see that, given his behavior.
I never did like Jeff Sessions but you've gotta give props where props are due, I guess.
Trump doesn't know the meaning of the word integrity.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Interesting ... I can see that, given his behavior.
I never did like Jeff Sessions but you've gotta give props where props are due, I guess.
Trump doesn't know the meaning of the word integrity.
One can see that Trump repeatedly drives away or fires the honest. The same happens in those that support Trump. FOX News use to have on redeeming quality. Shepard Smith. He got tired of FOX's obvious partisanship and finally resigned. I am sure that he has a contract that limits whom he can work for, perhaps for a year or so. But once that is over he is going to be snapped up by some major network.

dianaiad

We don't have the actual transcript, actually. That has been locked away in a secret server, for some reason.

What we actually have is this:

"CAUTION: A Memorandum of a Telephone Conversation.· (TELCON) is not a verbatim transcript of a discussion. The text in this document records the notes and recollections of Situation Room Duty "Officers and-NSC policy staff assigned t_o listen.and memorialize the conversation in written form as the conversation takes place. A numper of factors can affect 'the accuracy of the reco�d, including poor telecommunications connections and variations in accent and/or interpretation. The word "inaudible" is used to indifate portions of a conversation that the notetaker was unable to hear."
https://www.whitehouse.gov/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/Unclassified09.2019.pdf

But even without the full and exact transcript, the stuff the White House released is pretty damning in itself. Though Trump doesn't seem to realize that.

Where have you been?

Read the transcript of Trump's conversation with Volodymyr Zelensky - CNNPolitics
Low information! The closed door hearings are 50% republicans and 50% democrats.

No they weren't. Or rather, any Republicans allowed in there were observers only and not allowed to say anything, subpoena anything, produce anything, cross examine anybody, or indeed do anything but sit there.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
Uh yeah, that's the same one I just linked.
Read the disclaimer that I posted. Notice how it is written at the very beginning of the document! Did you not see it??

No they weren't. Or rather, any Republicans allowed in there were observers only and not allowed to say anything, subpoena anything, produce anything, cross examine anybody, or indeed do anything but sit there.
Nonsense. They were allowed to ask questions, and did ask questions.

Shad

Veteran Member
Seems like few read the Resolution thus are repeating talking points. If you look at the Resolution Dem are still in control and most things the GOP can do has to be signed off by the Dem chair especially Schiff. Want to bring in a witness? GOP has to write a request to Schiff including the justification and relevence. Dem do not need to do any of that.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
Seems like few read the Resolution thus are repeating talking points. If you look at the Resolution Dem are still in control and most things the GOP can do has to be signed off by the Dem chair especially Schiff.
Yes. And ...

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
Ergo people are just repeating what the media tells them without thought. Read the Resolution. Dems still have control thus is a farce
I am sorry but I haven’t seen anyone in this thread suggest that the Republicans now have unchecked subpoena power. Nor have I heard anyone in the media suggest that.

Who is repeating what the media tells them?

Shad

Veteran Member
I am sorry but I haven’t seen anyone in this thread suggest that the Republicans now have unchecked subpoena power. Nor have I heard anyone in the media suggest that.

Who is repeating what the media tells them?

F for effort.

Except that they are.

Jose Fly

Fisker of men
Seems like few read the Resolution thus are repeating talking points.
And they are accurate.

If you look at the Resolution Dem are still in control
That's called "being the majority".

and most things the GOP can do has to be signed off by the Dem chair especially Schiff. Want to bring in a witness? GOP has to write a request to Schiff including the justification and relevence. Dem do not need to do any of that.
As it was under the Republicans during the Clinton impeachment.

Jose Fly

Fisker of men
Ergo people are just repeating what the media tells them without thought. Read the Resolution. Dems still have control thus is a farce
Told y'all. Now that there's been a vote and the process is now formalized, Team Trump has moved on to a new set of objections, this time "THE DEMS ARE IN CONTROL".

Well duh....given that they're the majority party and as such chair all the committees, who the heck else would be in charge?

Shad

Veteran Member
Told y'all. Now that there's been a vote and the process is now formalized, Team Trump has moved on to a new set of objections, this time "THE DEMS ARE IN CONTROL".

Dems were in control before the vote and after the vote.

Well duh....given that they're the majority party and as such chair all the committees, who the heck else would be in charge?

Impeachment is done by the House not the majority.