• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Person of Color," "Brown," or "White"? Or Something Else?

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Given that the terms "person of color" and "brown" seem to me vague outside specific contexts (e.g., the context of racial politics in the US), I'm interested to know which, if any, of the following people would fall under either of those classifications if they lived in the US.

I realize that there are significant differences among Western countries (and most countries in general) regarding racial classifications, so I'm narrowing down my question to the US for the purposes of this thread.

The pictures are spoilered so that they don't fill up the page.

This is Yasmine Sabri, an Egyptian actress:

JtcnK3K0-photo.jpeg.jpg

This is Wael Kfoury, a Lebanese singer:

65000153_200927117538689_549934733727103692_n.jpg

This is Luna Bishara, a Palestinian actress:

%D9%84%D9%88%D9%86%D8%A7-%D8%A8%D8%B4%D8%A7%D8%B1%D8%A9-%D9%85%D9%88%D8%A7%D9%84%D9%8A%D8%AF.jpg

This is Motasem Al Nahar, a Syrian actor:

194496_1_1587748608.jpg

In addition to the above question, how would you, whether you're from the US or not, classify any or all of the above people if you had to check a box or fill a field on an official or medical form?

Please note that I'm only asking how you would classify any or all of the above people if you had to do so. I realize that many people don't think of people in terms of such classifications or care to classify skin tones at all, and that is my perspective too. However, I'm interested in exploring prevalent views regarding how the classification is most likely to be done in cases where it does occur.

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
I prefer to classify people by color of blood rather than color of skin.

For the record, my granddaughter likely more "brown" or a "person of color" than any of those pictured in the OP. They would probably appear "white" when contrasted with her.

1717338921215.png

Rival

Diex Aie
Staff member
Premium Member
Why wouldn't the first three be Semitic or the last one be Mediterranean? Also, why wouldn't all four be a combination of the two?
Excuse me, I meant the first is Mediterranean and the last three are Semitic.

The first is classified as being on the Sea (the Med) and the others of ME Semitic origin. As far as I am aware, this is the historic view before ideas of race nonsense came into play. The idea of race is meaningless to me, so idea of geography, language, culture etc. mean more. Historically Egyptians have never been considered Semites but Meds, and the others have been considered Semitic, whether through speech, culture, religion etc.

JustGeorge

Out of Order
Staff member
Premium Member
I can't think of why I'd need or want to classify them, unless they broke in and robbed me of my ice cream, and I needed to make a police report.

The police would ask "black or white?" and I'd say Latino. Because that would be my first guess of these physical appearances based on my location. Except the last guy. I'd probably say "white". I'd be wrong, of course, which is why I prefer not to guess in the vast majority of situations.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
I prefer to classify people by color of blood rather than color of skin.

Same. I'm asking because I'm curious how they would most likely be classified along the typical racial categories in the US, though.

If you were to classify the people mentioned in the OP by color of blood, how would you classify them given no information to go on except those pictures?

For the record, my granddaughter likely more "brown" or a "person of color" than any of those pictured in the OP.

I agree. This is part of why I find "person of color," "brown," etc., to be imprecise and incomplete classifications in many cases.

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
If you were to classify the people mentioned in the OP by color of blood, how would you classify them given no information to go on except those pictures?
I probably wouldn't unless I'm given a compelling reason to do so.

Even then, I would probably point out physical traits such as height, hair length and color, eye color, build, skin tone, etc.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Excuse me, I meant the first is Mediterranean and the last three are Semitic.

The first is classified as being on the Sea (the Med) and the others of ME Semitic origin. As far as I am aware, this is the historic view before ideas of race nonsense came into play. The idea of race is meaningless to me, so idea of geography, language, culture etc. mean more. Historically Egyptians have never been considered Semites but Meds, and the others have been considered Semitic, whether through speech, culture, religion etc.

What about Egyptians with Levantine DNA in their ancestry? Many Egyptians' DNA composition contains considerable percentages of it, as far as I know.

Rival

Diex Aie
Staff member
Premium Member
What about Egyptians with Levantine DNA in their ancestry? Many Egyptians' DNA composition contains considerable percentages of it, as far as I know.
Because I'm not sure that such matters, It would be equivalent to saying my black friend isn't British, she's Jamaican. No-one I know really accepts that these days. If you are asking for historical ethnicity, yes, they would or could be Semitic etc. but going back even 100+ years becomes incredibly problematic; going back 1000+ etc. to define ethnicity, a modern concept, is borderline absurd imo. The classifications ancient people used when put into modern terms are very hard to distinguish and I wouldn't really try.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
I can't think of why I'd need or want to classify them, unless they broke in and robbed me of my ice cream, and I needed to make a police report.

The police would ask "black or white?" and I'd say Latino. Because that would be my first guess of these physical appearances based on my location. Except the last guy. I'd probably say "white". I'd be wrong, of course, which is why I prefer not to guess in the vast majority of situations.

I agree about preferring not to guess or classify people based on appearance alone. Such classifications can pigeonhole people and be so deceptive, in my opinion.

The Hammer

Skald
Premium Member
The men look mostly "white" imo. The two ladies look a little more ethnic, but not black or Hispanic. I wouldn't hesitate to call any of them white in the US.

Edit: taking another look Luna looks Hispanic to me.
Hispanic actress:
roselyn-sanchez-recording-artists-and-groups-photo-u12-2267821590.jpg

Last edited:

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
I probably wouldn't unless I'm given a compelling reason to do so.

Even then, I would probably point out physical traits such as height, hair length and color, eye color, build, skin tone, etc.

Based on your T-shirt color, I would classify you as Hawaiian. I don't think anyone could dispute this impeccable method of determining ethnicity.

PureX

Veteran Member
Fortunately, skin tone and ethnic features are becoming less and less of a factor in human inter-relations as the modern era affords us all the ability to move around and encounter people from other places, races, and cultures. If not in person, then certainly via global interactive media. The progress has been slow, but I think it has been steady, and is continuing. I am a senior that has lived from the late 1950s to the present, and have witnessed a huge change happening over these many decades, and even within my own perceptions.

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
Based on your T-shirt color, I would classify you as Hawaiian. I don't think anyone could dispute this impeccable method of determining ethnicity.
Why are we determining ethnicity based on appearance again?

Also, what does the color of my Speedos tell you to classify me as?