• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Person of Color," "Brown," or "White"? Or Something Else?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
"Person of color" is a stupid modern affectation.
I avoid using it.
It will eventually die a well deserved death like
other terms, eg, "quadroon", "darkie", "branch
manager", "colored", "mulatto", "moon cricket",
"eggplant".

"Branch manager" is one I recently discovered.
Unlike the others, I'd never heard it used.
(It's about swinging from branches, I think.)

Last edited:

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
No not really.

Right up to the present day as this other exceptional organization has done.

If they use it , so will I. If they stop, so will I.

;0)

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
No not really.

Right up to the present day as this other exceptional organization has done.

If they use it , so will I. If they stop, so will I.

;0)
That usage is just a vestige.
Use it if you want.
But people will think you time travelled from 1940.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
It's tiresome on how normal terminology is constantly being vilified even when it's used in a completely benign manner..

There's a reason that terms historically associated with racial denigration or inaccurate understandings of entire ethnic groups are now "vilified." Thankfully, the N-word is no longer socially acceptable for non-Black people to use either.

I suppose people find this exceptional organization is offensive as well.

I think it's different when members of a group use terms like that to refer to themselves as opposed to when someone from outside the group does so, due to historical and cultural dynamics.

I'll continue using the terms as I please until those organizations stop using them first , which I'll respect such changes if and when it happens and not before.

I mean, that sounds like one way to disrespect people and get into a lot of trouble unnecessarily, but let us know how it goes if you do it, I guess.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I find history has far more charm and grace then this era has.

I'm tremendously proud to stay vintage.
The 40s had it's own brand of boorishness & thuggery.
OIP.1qHOSvITsPBqyTrULmnXJQHaEK

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
It's tiresome on how normal terminology is constantly being vilified even when it's used in a completely benign manner..

I suppose people find this exceptional organization is offensive as well.

I'll continue using the terms as I please until those organizations stop using them first , which I'll respect such changes if and when it happens and not before.

Sometimes, it's more a matter of context, not so much the literal, technical meaning of terms.

I think that American society does seem to be a bit too finicky, inconsistent, and downright absurd when it comes to certain terminology. That's how "political correctness" can make itself into an easy target. I still get a chuckle of some news reporter (back in the 1990s) proclaiming that "African-Americans all over the world are celebrating Nelson Mandela's birthday!" Or you'd also have white immigrants from South Africa claiming to be "African-American," which is technically accurate, but...

Then there's also the NAACP. The "CP" part is not really used, as it's also considered offensive, yet it has the same meaning as "people of color."

Ultimately, I think most people wish to be polite and inoffensive, but sometimes, it seems that there are some people out there who have nothing better to do than to look for new terms to get offended about.