• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Person of Color," "Brown," or "White"? Or Something Else?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I just find it useless and rather meaningless. It also sets up a dumb dichotomy - "white people" and everyone else is lumped in as "people of color" as some vague monolithic category. It's rather offensive.
It'd be nice if people just listen to Morgan Freeman and just drop it altogether.

Every one has a proper name to go by. No need for something else. :0)

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
Given that the terms "person of color" and "brown" seem to me vague outside specific contexts (e.g., the context of racial politics in the US), I'm interested to know which, if any, of the following people would fall under either of those classifications if they lived in the US.

I realize that there are significant differences among Western countries (and most countries in general) regarding racial classifications, so I'm narrowing down my question to the US for the purposes of this thread.

The pictures are spoilered so that they don't fill up the page.

This is Yasmine Sabri, an Egyptian actress:

JtcnK3K0-photo.jpeg.jpg

This is Wael Kfoury, a Lebanese singer:

65000153_200927117538689_549934733727103692_n.jpg

This is Luna Bishara, a Palestinian actress:

%D9%84%D9%88%D9%86%D8%A7-%D8%A8%D8%B4%D8%A7%D8%B1%D8%A9-%D9%85%D9%88%D8%A7%D9%84%D9%8A%D8%AF.jpg

This is Motasem Al Nahar, a Syrian actor:

194496_1_1587748608.jpg

In addition to the above question, how would you, whether you're from the US or not, classify any or all of the above people if you had to check a box or fill a field on an official or medical form?

Please note that I'm only asking how you would classify any or all of the above people if you had to do so. I realize that many people don't think of people in terms of such classifications or care to classify skin tones at all, and that is my perspective too. However, I'm interested in exploring prevalent views regarding how the classification is most likely to be done in cases where it does occur.
Third one is probably the only one who may not be viewed as white in America. By that picture it looks possible, depending on what part of Americs, I could see possible a range of possible answers, such as Middle Eastern, brown/Latino or Mexican (or Hispanic, which tends to be very frequently misused in places like Indiana).

Kfox

Given that the terms "person of color" and "brown" seem to me vague outside specific contexts (e.g., the context of racial politics in the US), I'm interested to know which, if any, of the following people would fall under either of those classifications if they lived in the US.

I realize that there are significant differences among Western countries (and most countries in general) regarding racial classifications, so I'm narrowing down my question to the US for the purposes of this thread.

JtcnK3K0-photo.jpeg.jpg

%D9%84%D9%88%D9%86%D8%A7-%D8%A8%D8%B4%D8%A7%D8%B1%D8%A9-%D9%85%D9%88%D8%A7%D9%84%D9%8A%D8%AF.jpg

194496_1_1587748608.jpg

In addition to the above question, how would you, whether you're from the US or not, classify any or all of the above people if you had to check a box or fill a field on an official or medical form?

Please note that I'm only asking how you would classify any or all of the above people if you had to do so. I realize that many people don't think of people in terms of such classifications or care to classify skin tones at all, and that is my perspective too. However, I'm interested in exploring prevalent views regarding how the classification is most likely to be done in cases where it does occur.
I don't care if you black, white, brown; EVERYBODY is a person of color.

We Never Know

No Slack
No not really.

Right up to the present day as this other exceptional organization has done.

If they use it , so will I. If they stop, so will I.

;0)

Here's an interesting take on it.

Colored People or People of Color?​

......"Was Rep. Crane’s use of “colored” as a descriptor a moral failure?

This is not a hard question to answer. If the use of the term were a moral failure, then the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People or the NAACP would have changed their name long ago. Instead, they defended their use of it saying,
"Times change and terms change. Racial designations go through phases; at one time Negro was accepted, at an earlier time colored and so on. This organization has been in existence for 80 years and the initials NAACP are part of the American vocabulary, firmly embedded in the national consciousness, and we feel it would not be to our benefit to change our name."

Clearly, the NAACP is not so insensitive to the people they represent so as to leave a morally offensive moniker in place for the simple reason of name recognition. In other words, they might prefer to be called the NAAPC but name recognition outweighs any other concern.

But let’s ask the obvious. Why is the moniker “people of color” acceptable but “colored people” not? Let’s put our grammatical caps on for a minute. The adjective “colored” in “colored people” expresses the same relationship as the possessive in “people of color.” This is not too difficult when you think about it in relation to other examples.
A moment of silence is a silent moment. An honor code is a code of honor. A battle plan is a plan of battle. So, what’s the difference? Really. What is the difference between “colored people” and “people of color?” This is not a harangue but a legitimate question. If the word is morally offensive, then by all means, let’s not use it......

JtcnK3K0-photo.jpeg.jpg

194496_1_1587748608.jpg

Egyptian, Lebanese, Palestinian and Syrian works for me.

I haven’t heard of any of them, so I have no idea how they self-identify.

But I don’t think you did a bad job, absent further information.

Spice

StewardshipPeaceIntergityCommunityEquality

JtcnK3K0-photo.jpeg.jpg

194496_1_1587748608.jpg

Personally, put them all in jeans and a white t-shirt, no names or home country info, and I'd mark the form white.

If I were to give a description for identification, they would all be described as brunette, one with some gray, two of the four as dark-complexion white. And that happens to be my father's WWII draft card description -- dark skin white.

Spice

StewardshipPeaceIntergityCommunityEquality
They are white.
US Census racial classifications: granted, the ethnic term Hispanic is often included in racial categories.

The U.S. Census Bureau must adhere to the 1997 Office of Management and Budget (OMB) standards on race and ethnicity which guide the Census Bureau in classifying written responses to the race question:

White – A person having origins in any of the original peoples of Europe, the Middle East, or North Africa.

Black or African American – A person having origins in any of the Black racial groups of Africa.

American Indian or Alaska Native – A person having origins in any of the original peoples of North and South America (including Central America) and who maintains tribal affiliation or community attachment.

Asian – A person having origins in any of the original peoples of the Far East, Southeast Asia, or the Indian subcontinent including, for example, Cambodia, China, India, Japan, Korea, Malaysia, Pakistan, the Philippine Islands, Thailand, and Vietnam.

Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander – A person having origins in any of the original peoples of Hawaii, Guam, Samoa, or other Pacific Islands.

The 1997 OMB standards permit the reporting of more than one race. An individual’s response to the race question is based upon self-identification.

An individual’s response to the race question is based upon self-identification. The Census Bureau does not tell individuals which boxes to mark or what heritage to write in. For the first time in Census 2000, individuals were presented with the option to self-identify with more than one race and this continued with the 2010 Census. People who identify with more than one race may choose to provide multiple races in response to the race question. For example, if a respondent identifies as "Asian" and "White," they may respond to the question on race by checking the appropriate boxes that describe their racial identities and/or writing in these identities on the spaces provided.
So what would my great-nephew be since his makeup is: 1/8 Asian, 1/4 Pacific Islander, 1/4 African American, 3/8 European American?

Why are we determining ethnicity based on appearance again?

Because the alternative would be to ask them how they self-identify?

Catolica?

Negra?

Latina?

Americana?

Colombiana?

Caucana?

Cimarrona?

Palenquera?

Afropatiana?

If we let people self-identify, then we might not like how they do it, due to our preconceived biases and prejudices, and we may be tempted to insult their very identity, simply because we find their identity offensive.

Last edited:

Ignatius A

JtcnK3K0-photo.jpeg.jpg

194496_1_1587748608.jpg

Why does it matter what terms are applied to them? Why do they need "classification"?

Rival

Diex Aie
Staff member
Premium Member
Why does it matter what terms are applied to them? Why do they need "classification"?
Often it's so that when crimes or such are reported the police know exactly who to look for. If you say 'Asian', that means different things to different people.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Often it's so that when crimes or such are reported the police know exactly who to look for. If you say 'Asian', that means different things to different people.
True, which is why personally I'd stick with features and that sort of thing, including height, weight and the clothes they were wearing.

Koldo

Outstanding Member

JtcnK3K0-photo.jpeg.jpg

194496_1_1587748608.jpg

Here in Brazil, they would all be considered White. This is how we classify people in general: White, Brown (mix of White and Black), Black, Yellow (Asian) and Indigenous.

Eddi

Believer in God
Premium Member
Here in Brazil, they would all be considered White. This is how we classify people in general: White, Brown (mix of White and Black), Black, Yellow (Asian) and Indigenous.
My brother-in-law is Brazilian

I have no idea what he is racially

Not that it matters