• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Poll: Are you an animal?

Are you an animal?

• Total voters

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
I have a kitchen drawer full of forks and spoons made of stainless steel. Are you telling me that because they're all just the same stainless steel, then the spoons are also forks and the forks are also spoons?
What @McBell said. I would call them utensils (in this case utensils for eating, but there are other utensils as well). Other eating utensils include chop sticks, fingers, skewers, tongs, toothpicks, cocktail sticks, drinking straws. Your forks and spoons can also be made of silver, gold, plastic or wood. Are they still utensils?

And if you were sophisticated enough, you'd never imagine your forks and spoons to be nearly enough! You'd need varieties of them to eat properly:
  • Butter knife
  • Cake fork
  • Soup spoon
  • Crab cracker
  • Crab fork
  • Fish knife
  • Fondue fork
  • Grapefruit knife
  • Grapefruit spoon
  • Lobster pick
  • Snail tongs and forks
  • Nutcracker
  • Ice cream scoop
  • Tongs for:
    • Sugar
    • Asparagus
  • Honey dipper
  • Meat claws (used to shred barbecue meats such as brisket)
And just as there are all sorts of varieties of utensils, as I've shown, so there are varieties of animals, like clams and fish and squirrels and bears and marmosets and porpoises and humans.

rocala

But confused people can often be good people and entertaining company. I have to wonder, have you ever been described as such?
I will take your lack of response as a NO. I was fairly confident that this was going to be the outcome, but I take no pleasure in being right.
It is incredibly sad to see somebody so bitter, and I suspect, hate filled.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
The Pirahã tribe, who have never heard of a god, are they more evolved than us?
A complete non-sequitur. And where did I mention anything about either evolved or gods? In any case, the Piraha are just as human as I am, and I am just as human as the Sambia of Papua New Guinea and King Charles III.

Betho_br

A complete non-sequitur. And where did I mention anything about either evolved or gods? In any case, the Piraha are just as human as I am, and I am just as human as the Sambia of Papua New Guinea and King Charles III.
The discovery of symbolic tools among Homo naledi, including a fetal fossil holding a writing tool, suggests that even pre-human species might have had beliefs in something beyond life. This indicates that the search for transcendental meaning is deeply rooted in our evolution, not just a matter of anatomical analogy. So, even though you didn't mention God specifically, the issue of transcendental beliefs is relevant and complex... Metaphysical beings cannot belong to the animal kingdom.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm an animal, but civilized, classy, and cool. Almost as cool as Joe Cool.

61ZPN41++wL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Metaphysical beings cannot belong to the animal kingdom.
Really? Why not?

And what, exactly, is a "metaphysical being?" The word itself simply means "before physics," but that doesn't tell you much, except that it makes an assumption that it immediately cannot validate -- that there is anything before existence. As the Existentialist philosophers say, "existence precedes essence."