• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

poll: are you an ape?

are you an ape?

• Total voters

Eddi

Pantheist Christian
Premium Member
Nope.

Guess you better get busy.

'Cause it's still missing.
Lucy is a "missing link" but you have chosen to conveniently ignore her as a hoax, in this post:

You are beyond reason so will always find some way of dismissing evidence that doesn't fit your beliefs

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
Oh I can't help you.
I thought God helped those who helped themselves.

As I said, best get busy.

You might consider prayer though.
I have. I even tried it. I'll pray for you if you think it will help.

I hear God does accept prideful atheists from time to time.
Too bad I'm not an atheist. So I guess I'll have to wait for another scenario to be accepted.

Fear of God is the beginning of Wisdom.
And shedding that fear is the pinnacle of it.

I bet you could manage a good effort.

Give it a shot.
Done and done.

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
Also, in general most atheists do understand the Bible better than most Christians. That is why they are atheists in the first place, at least in the US.

I believe this to be true because of my experience conversing with atheists online or in person. Many of those I know are former Christians who have more knowledge and a better understanding of the Bible and Christian theology than most Christians I either know personally or have conversed with online.

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
You are both so right.

I am being unkind to animals.

Chimps, bonobos, gorillas, orangutans and gibbons are somebody too.

How thoughtless of me to speak of your family members like that.

You're a Christian, so aren't you supposed to treat others the way you'd like to be treated, love your neighbor as yourself, and turn the other cheek? If you have studied the Bible, then I'm sure you're aware that you're called to be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have, but do so with gentleness and respect (I Peter 3:15–16). Perhaps I've missed your responses where you've respectfully given answers.

Dan From Smithville

For the World Is Hollow and I Have Touched the Sky
Staff member
Premium Member
If a missing link was proven, would it still be "missing?"
No. It would not be.

There are many known and demonstrated transitional forms found in the fossil record. Even among groups of living creatures, there is evidence of the evolution of traits like the eye, the clotting cascade, the vermiform appendix, the bacterial flagella, that are also obviously not missing.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
If you'd have said 'primate', yeah. But when I think of apes I think of a specific kind of primate, which we can't successfully breed with.
You're referring to the biological definition of a species. The other great apes are all different species from man and one another, and no interbreeding occurs among them except between chimps and bonobos, which suggests to me that they should be classed as subspecies of a single species.

And in biology, taxonomy, and cladistics, humans are apes. That's not controversial or falsifiable. It's not arbitrary or mere semantics. It means that humans and all other extant and extinct great apes have a common great ape ancestor.

It seems that you aren't accustomed to thinking in biological terms. You lean toward lay definitions of ape, as with the ape house at the zoo, which excludes caged human apes and never mentions that they have done so. But biologists include them all in the metaphorical ape house - family Hominidae
Humans do not fit the biological definition of "ape" because humans are humans, not apes. Humans are not apes, humans are humans
That's not a rebuttal to the claim that humans are human apes. If you're implying that because human are human that they cannot also be apes, then you are assuming your conclusion, and can just leave out the irrelevant tautology that follows it. Your argument is unsound as this one: Woodpeckers don't fit the biological definition of birds because woodpeckers are woodpeckers, not birds.

Also, humans are apes according to biologists just as woodpeckers are classified as birds.
Does that mean you can prove what you said is true?
If you can't do that it is not a fact
Disagree. The threshold for factuality is not proof. It is convincing evidence and for the ability of an idea to be successfully employed to predict outcomes. Proof never enters the matter of correctness. The fact that the tree of life evolved from earlier life forms over deep time is established beyond reasonable doubt, but can and need never be proved. It's simply not the standard for belief. It's not your standard for belief in your daily life. What can you prove? You can't prove that you're not dreaming or anything else. You are simply convinced beyond reasonable doubt of the correctness of certain ideas that have been reliable in the past when deployed to effect desired outcomes, like how to make a recipe you like. You don't get or need proof there, either.
Quoting Abdu'l-Baha I said: "only humans discover the realities of things and become cognizant of their peculiarities and effects, and of the qualities and properties of beings."
Disagree. My dogs do all of that. The difference is that they don't think in language, just sensations, urges, nonverbal memories, and similar nonlinguistic conscious content.
That's incorrect two ways. Humans are considered apes in biological circles
Being descended from apes does not make humans apes.
Yes, it does. Anything descended from an ape is another ape.
That would only prove evolution in the eyes of someone who embraces the theory of evolution.
The theory is correct beyond reasonable doubt. It is logically possible to falsify it if it is false, but if it isn't, that will never happen. Correct ideas cannot be falsified. It's been over a century-and-a-half, and its never been falsified.
Honest scientists know full well that Lucy was a hoax.
That's a creationist conspiracy theory and false claim. It's made by dishonest creationist apologists and intended for anybody that can be made to believe it.
If you're in love with the idea that you're an animal, and specifically an ape, no amount of Truth is going to change your mind.
You don't have truth. You have sincerely but uncritically believed religious beliefs.
The endless accusations of the atheist evolutionist that knows far more about God and the Bible than any True Christian. Most people who don't believe in God know far more about Him and His Bible than anybody who does believe in Him and studies His Word.
Yes.

I'll bet that every atheist posting on this thread knows more about the Christian god and scriptures than any creationist. It doesn't matter how much time or energy or zealotry the believer brings to the matter. It matters only how he processes information. The believer's agenda is not the same as the critical thinkers. Nor are his values or his methods for determine what is good or true. However much time he devotes to studying his faith, he can't see truth unless his approaches them critically, that is, dispassionately, open-mindedly, and logically.
you use multiple definitions yourself in your religion of science.
Does calling science a religion mean that you disapprove of religion? I know you disapprove of the science that contradicts your faith, so why call it a religion unless you also disapprove of that?
Fear of God is the beginning of Wisdom.
As with truth, you also have a different definition of wisdom than I do. The fearing of a god is the beginning of a kind of enslavement of a mind. I'll leave that to you. For me, wisdom entails avoiding or escaping that.

I fear no god. I worship no god. I subjugate myself to the alleged commands of no god. I am a free citizen and an autonomous moral agent, one who decides what constitutes upright behavior for himself.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
That's not a rebuttal to the claim that humans are human apes. If you're implying that because human are human that they cannot also be apes, then you are assuming your conclusion, and can just leave out the irrelevant tautology that follows it. Your argument is unsound as this one: Woodpeckers don't fit the biological definition of birds because woodpeckers are woodpeckers, not birds.

Also, humans are apes according to biologists just as woodpeckers are classified as birds.
Later in this thread I conceded to humans are apes, according to the biological classification.
Disagree. My dogs do all of that. The difference is that they don't think in language, just sensations, urges, nonverbal memories, and similar nonlinguistic conscious content.
That was my point. Humans are animals but they are different from other animals.
That's incorrect two ways. Humans are considered apes in biological circles
Later in this thread I conceded to humans are apes, according to the biological classification.

Since you have a scientific background I respect your knowledge, so I am curious why you voted No to the OP question "Are you an ape?"

Last edited:

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
And you use multiple definitions yourself in your religion of science.

It is not a religion. but I like how you insult your own religious beliefs by demeaning religions in general. You will note that I have not done that.
You have 'faith' in everything that science has claimed to you since you were 3 feet tall and you also embrace the 'Faith' of science as your religion as you believe that IT is always right in anything that you hear the words "science now says this" and "scientists have now discovered this" about. Science is your god and it is your religion.

No, you are quite wrong. Science does not need faith since it is based upon the observable and repeatable. That you do not understand how this is done is your own doing. You could still learn. People here would help you. I would help you.
Anything that the God of the Bible declares that doesn't coincide with what you've been brainwashed to believe in your religion of science must certainly be false because your god Science says so.
More breaking of the Ninth. I am not the one that was brainwashed here. If you could get over your fears I could show how you could yourself verify many of the claims of science. I do not have a god. All gods, including yours, appear to be man made. Have you ever thought of properly testing your beliefs in your God to see if they are accurate?
It's that simple.

You've done no more scientific experimentation to prove 99.9% of all that you've been led to believe than the vast majority of all who congregate within your 'Faith' of Science.

Why would one need to repeat all of the experiments? You still do not understand the difference between faith, which is what you have, a belief that is based on "ooh, it feels good" and a well earned respect. Scientists have gone through years of training. And when it comes to anything new, even if it supports what one believes, scientists are a very skeptical lot and will check the work of others and check out their findings. Usually in an attempt to refute them. And if they think that they have they will publish in journals. Nothing in the sciences is ever taken on faith. It has to be extremely well supported when discovered. Scientific papers are often boring to the lay person because of all of the details that a scientist has to go through. It is also necessary because others will repeat one's work to make sure that the scientist was correct.

Do you know who finds the errors in scientific works? It is never a creationist with his book of myths. It is always other scientists.

Yet you call Christians stupid.
Where have I ever done that? There are Christians on this site that I respect quite well. Oh wait, you are conflating Christians and creationists. When it comes to creationists they are a minority of Christians. They are creationists often because they are members of some of the more cult like sects of Christianity, so they are not necessarily stupid. It is just when a person denies reality he often does look stupid as a result. Look at James Tour, a brilliant synthetic chemist. But when his religious beliefs get in the way of his scientific ones his IQ seems to drop at least 20 points. He used to be well respected but he has lost most of that respect because he can no longer follow the scientific method.

Last edited:

Heyo

Veteran Member
Human beings are human beings.

I don't need a recap of all your faulty "science falsely so called" that I sat through many years of in public school and college before coming to the only Truth there is.
Since you are talking about "public school" and "college", I assume you are from the US.
I knew education in the US is abysmal but I didn't know it is that bad. In fact, I doubt that you went to school or college.
I get when someone uneducated falls for the lies of Ken Ham or Kent Hovind but if you went to school (and paid attention in biology class), you would know from personal experience that the straw men built by your creationist indoctrinators don't resemble anything what biology (or any other science you don't believe in) really teaches.

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
Does that mean crows are pigeons because they are both birds?
No. Hominidae (great apes) are a taxonomical family. Crows and pigeons aren't even of the same family of birds. Crows are corvidae; pigeons are columbidae. The species are unrelated until we get to their class. They are both aves.

In other words, humans are more closely related to chimpanzees than crows are related to pigeons.