• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

poll: are you an ape?

are you an ape?

• Total voters

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
That does not mean that a human is the same as an ape. Anyone can see that a humans are different from apes and scientists know that they are different.
Anyone can see that a chimp is different from an orang-utan, but they are both apes.
Anyone can see that a chair is different from a table, but they are both furniture.
Even if we are biologically similar to apes, humans are more than their biology.
Are orang-utans also more than their biology?

Heyo

Veteran Member
I do not care about cladistics and looking smart. I only care about what is true.
Well, the statement I reacted to isn't.
Humans do fit the biological definition of "ape". If you don't care about cladistics you are bound to look stupid when you talk about it - and you're bound to be wrong.
So, if you really care about what is true, you have to know what you are talking about.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Only if you want to call your own God a liar. I would think that would give you pause. But whatever rocks your boat.
It seems like you are identifying as a believer… WOW - what a Christmas present¡ :) Make sure you pray for me.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Anyone can see that a chimp is different from an orang-utan, but they are both apes.
Anyone can see that a chimp is different from a human, even if they are both apes.
Are orang-utans also more than their biology?
Maybe, but not the same way humans are.
Only humans have an immortal soul that survives death.
Like all animals, orang-utans have a spirit, but nobody knows if the animal spirit survives death.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Well, the statement I reacted to isn't.
It is really important for you to be right, isn't it?
I don't care about being right, although I care about knowing/believing what is true.
Humans do fit the biological definition of "ape".
So what if they do? Big deal. Does knowing that make you feel smart? Anyone can look that up on the internet, it doesn't make them smart.
If you don't care about cladistics you are bound to look stupid when you talk about it - and you're bound to be wrong.
I do not care about looking smart and I don't care if I look stupid because I have no false pride.
If I am wrong I am willing to admit it. Are you? Are you willing to admit that apes and humans are not the same, a fact that is supported by science?

What Is The Cognitive Rift Between Humans And Other Animals?
How Are Humans Different from Other Great Apes?
So, if you really care about what is true, you have to know what you are talking about.
I said I care about what is true but I also said I do not care about cladistics.
Does caring about cladistics make me a better person? If not, I don't have time for it at this stage of my life.
Why should I care about cladistics? Do you care about geography and psychology, which are the subjects I studied in college?

I do not normally discuss any science subjects on this forum since science is not my area of expertise, and I am not ashamed of that at all.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Anyone can see that a chimp is different from a human, even if they are both apes.

Maybe, but not the same way humans are.
Only humans have an immortal soul that survives death.
Like all animals, orang-utans have a spirit, but nobody knows if the animal spirit survives death.
OK, I'd grant ensoulment might be a significant difference, but where's the evidence for it, and what makes you think cats, dogs or chimps don't have souls?
At what point in human evolution was a soul installed, I wonder.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
OK, I'd grant ensoulment might be a significant difference, but where's the evidence for it,
There is no evidence for a soul, that is only a religious belief.
My religion teaches that the soul is a mystery.
and what makes you think cats, dogs or chimps don't have souls?
That is my religious belief.
At what point in human evolution was a soul installed, I wonder.
I also wonder, but that is not something we can know, since God did the installation.

Heyo

Veteran Member
It is really important for you to be right, isn't it?
It is really important for me to know the truth.
I don't care about being right, although I care about knowing/believing what is true.
That's how I've come to know you. The more puzzled I am that you are willing to die on this hill.
So what if they do? Big deal. Does knowing that make you feel smart? Anyone can look that up on the internet, it doesn't make them smart.
It makes them right.
I do not care about looking smart and I don't care if I look stupid because I have no false pride.
If I am wrong I am willing to admit it. Are you? Are you willing to admit that apes and humans are not the same, a fact that is supported by science?

What Is The Cognitive Rift Between Humans And Other Animals?
How Are Humans Different from Other Great Apes?
I don't even have to read that. The titles only show that I am right. "Other Animals" and "Other Great Apes". That says that humans are animals and that humans are great apes.

I said I care about what is true but I also said I do not care about cladistics.
Does caring about cladistics make me a better person? If not, I don't have time for it at this stage of my life.
Why should I care about cladistics? Do you care about geography and psychology, which are the subjects I studied in college?

I do not normally discuss any science subjects on this forum since science is not my area of expertise, and I am not ashamed of that at all.
It's not so much science we are discussing but logic. (And I know from past interactions that you care about being rational in your belief.)
Cladistics is an application of set theory which is an important part of logic.
You have to know that natural language is often ambiguous and that may be the case why you are confused here.
A is B can have the meaning of A = B (identity) or A ∊ B. As B in our case is a group (apes) and A is a subgroup(humans) it makes sense to say that humans are members of the greater group of apes. That doesn't mean that they are identical.

Understanding that will not necessarily make you a better person but it will make you a more rational person - if you are still interested in being rational in your beliefs. (A claim I have frequently heard but very rarely followed through.)

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
It is really important for me to know the truth.
The truth about what?
That's how I've come to know you. The more puzzled I am that you are willing to die on this hill.
What hill? God could not give a damn what I believe about cladistics and since I only care about what God thinks of me maybe you can do the math.
It makes them right.
So what? Why does it matter if they are right, other than to bolster their ego?
I don't even have to read that. The titles only show that I am right. "Other Animals" and "Other Great Apes". That says that humans are animals and that humans are great apes.
It is almost unbelievable that anyone would care this much about being right, that they would not even care about anything else.
I conceded to humans are animals and humans are great apes but what difference does it make in the overall scheme of life?
Humans are a lot of other things but you don't even want to look at those because you are so obsessed with one thing.
It's not so much science we are discussing but logic. (And I know from past interactions that you care about being rational in your belief.)
Cladistics is an application of set theory which is an important part of logic.
You have to know that natural language is often ambiguous and that may be the case why you are confused here.
A is B can have the meaning of A = B (identity) or A ∊ B. As B in our case is a group (apes) and A is a subgroup(humans) it makes sense to say that humans are members of the greater group of apes. That doesn't mean that they are identical.

Understanding that will not necessarily make you a better person but it will make you a more rational person - if you are still interested in being rational in your beliefs. (A claim I have frequently heard but very rarely followed through.)
No, I do not need to know cladistics in order to be a rational person, and it certainly does not help me to be a more spiritual person, which is all I really care about. A need to be right is death to humility, which is one of the most important attributes of spirituality.

Last edited:

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
Why do you believe it is a fact?
702.jpg

I don't "believe" it's a fact. I know it's a fact.

exchemist

Veteran Member
How, because someone has said to you so?
No. All it takes is understanding of the meaning of terms. Here is the first definition of great ape, from a 10second internet search:

great ape

noun​

1. Any of various apes of the family Hominidae, which includes the chimpanzees, gorillas, orangutans, and humans, but not the gibbons.
  2. An ape of the family Hominidae, having a mostly hairless face, hands with complex fingerprints, and flat fingernails. Includes the gorilla and chimpanzee (subfamily Homininae), and orangutan (subfamily Ponginae). Usage may vary to either include or exclude humans (members of Homininae subfamily).
  3. Any of the large anthropoid apes of the family Pongidae.