• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

qur'an burning in Florida

tmThEMaN

You cannot insult people, slap them in the face, hurt their children and when they retaliate, you call them violent and anti-freedom.

Give me a break.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
I really don't know. Of course i don't support hurting the innocents who had nothing to do with the burning, like in Afghanistan for example. They have nothing to do with this, but the anger will be too hot for sensibility and thinking.

The love for God, The quran and Mohammad (PBUH) is huge for Muslims.

I can seriously tell you that to us this is like the killing of your Family in public infront of your eyes. It is that sensitive to us. Considering that, what will be the best approach.

Did you watch Law Abiding Citizen ? ... His reaction was extreme, but i was 100% with what he did to the two criminals that killed his family, until he started killing the innocent.

Don't you think it's rather irrational to compare cloth and paper to a living human being? I can understand taking some offense, but the reaction should be proportionate to the action. People do and say a lot of things I disagree with, yet interestingly enough I still support their right and freedom to do so. See, I try to use reason to keep my emotions in check.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
You cannot insult people, slap them in the face, hurt their children and when they retaliate, you call them violent and anti-freedom.

Give me a break.

But no one is being physically slapped in the face, and in no way is anyone's children being harmed, so don't try to draw those silly analogies. There is nothing wrong with exchanging heated words or gestures as long as neither side actually violates the rights of the other. Of course, the most sensible course of action is to simply ignore them. I'm sure Allah and his prophet, along with your faith in them, will manage to survive a pile of cloth and paper going up in smoke.

no-body

Give me a break.

I don't exactly support the burnings of the koran or anything but the reactions of Muslims is as equally silly.A book is just a symbol it isn't really Mohammad or Islam. It would be a better world if you could just view these idiots as burning paper with ink on it, which is all they're really doing anyway.

tmThEMaN

But no one is being physically slapped in the face, and in no way is anyone's children being harmed, so don't try to draw those silly analogies. There is nothing wrong with exchanging heated words or gestures as long as neither side actually violates the rights of the other. Of course, the most sensible course of action is to simply ignore them. I'm sure Allah and his prophet, along with your faith in them, will manage to survive a pile of cloth and paper going up in smoke.

For us (many of us) at least, the feeling is the same. With this analogy i'm trying to give you an idea of what it feels like.

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
For us (many of us) at least, the feeling is the same. With this analogy i'm trying to give you an idea of what it feels like.

Well that's a little ridiculous. It's just a book. If anyone harms the man for excercising his rights then they are indeed violent and primitive.

People can protest him all they want, and be angry, or do the rational thing and choose to ignore this little-minded bigot "pastor"... but reacting with violence would be asinine and barbaric.

waitasec

Veteran Member
I really don't know. Of course i don't support hurting the innocents who had nothing to do with the burning, like in Afghanistan for example. They have nothing to do with this, but the anger will be too hot for sensibility and thinking.

The love for God, The quran and Mohammad (PBUH) is huge for Muslims.

I can seriously tell you that to us this is like the killing of your Family in public infront of your eyes. It is that sensitive to us. Considering that, what will be the best approach.

Did you watch Law Abiding Citizen ? ... His reaction was extreme, but i was 100% with what he did to the two criminals that killed his family, until he started killing the innocent.

i can understand being insulted when sacred scripture is spat upon or burnt
but what i don't understand is the retaliation for such an act
isn't "allah" or "god" bigger than all that, do you really think this supreme being is insulted by this ignorant act from a mere mortal

Skwim

Veteran Member
Then I suggest you best get over it.

Any retaliation for what someone does to their own property, no matter how one regards it, is very likely against the law. And, perhaps a person might want to seek professional help if they're this wedded to a physical object. IMO it's just not a healthy frame of mind . . . IMO.

Jones has every right to burn his copy of the Koran, the Bible, or even an issue of National Geographic. That others get their panties in a bunch over it suggests a serious irrationality that begs ministration. But then religious belief has never operated on rationality, so the Muslim over reaction is understandable. Not reasonable, just understandable.

tmThEMaN

i can understand being insulted when sacred scripture is spat upon or burnt
but what i don't understand is the retaliation for such an act
isn't "allah" or "god" bigger than all that, do you really think this supreme being is insulted by this ignorant act from a mere mortal

God is beyond it, our ego isn't :)

AxisMundi

E Pluribus Unum!!!

While I understand the importance Muslims put into their physical scriptures, Muslims need to concentrate on the outrage coming from this man's fellow Christians as well.

I have heard over and over from the Muslim community that the 9/11 attackers did not represent the entire Muslim community, nor Islam in general.

That understanding needs to be a two-way mentality as well.

tmThEMaN

Then I suggest you best get over it.

Any retaliation for what someone does to their own property, no matter how one regards it, is very likely against the law. And, perhaps a person might want to seek professional help if they're this wedded to a physical object. IMO it's just not a healthy frame of mind . . . IMO.

Jones has every right to burn his copy of the Koran, the Bible, or even an issue of National Geographic. That others get their panties in a bunch over it suggests a serious irrationality that begs ministration. But then religious belief has never operated on rationality, so the Muslim over reaction is understandable. Not reasonable, just understandable.

Just to re-assure that harming any innocent not involved in this is not right and not acceptable by Islam or Muslims. I'm not defending harming innocents.

Ignoring this action is not easy for us, you guys are really underestimating what Islam means to a muslim.

you are calling this anger as irrational based on what ? your own norms and culture!. We do not consider your rationality to be the judge on us. The US is willing to wage wars for "Freedom", right? is that more rational than religion ?! Maybe both are rational.

Egocentrism is in all of us and what is normal/rational for one culture will not be the same for the other. So we have to agree to disagree and try to live peacefully together by avoiding conflicts.

We are all in a spiral of chain reactions. Hatred is and will advocate more hatred. The chain has to be broken, but neither side is willing to.

waitasec

Veteran Member
Just to re-assure that harming any innocent not involved in this is not right and not acceptable by Islam or Muslims. I'm not defending harming innocents.

Ignoring this action is not easy for us, you guys are really underestimating what Islam means to a muslim.

you are calling this anger as irrational based on what ? your own norms and culture!. We do not consider your rationality to be the judge on us. The US is willing to wage wars for "Freedom", right? is that more rational than religion ?! Maybe both are rational.

Egocentrism is in all of us and what is normal/rational for one culture will not be the same for the other. So we have to agree to disagree and try to live peacefully together by avoiding conflicts.

We are all in a spiral of chain reactions. Hatred is and will advocate more hatred. The chain has to be broken, but neither side is willing to.

i'm wondering,
are there any teachings in the qur'an that suggest forgiveness like "turn the other cheek" and something like by your works will all people know me by your faith?

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe

Harming anyone at all over this would be unacceptable and barbaric. Retaliation is fine as long as it doesn't infringe anyone's rights; and that includes rights to life. If something has to be done why not just demonstrate that this guy is a nutcase (though he's already proving that on his own), or cooperate with the Christians who are agreeing that he's a nutcase?

Most of America didn't support the war in Iraq or many of the wars overseas in the interest of "democracy." (Or whatever our government says to justify it). We can't help if our dumb government does it anyway -- many of us don't support it.

I would fight for this idiot's right to do something well within his rights in any way I could. He has a right to do what he's doing, but that doesn't make it a just or intelligent thing that he's doing. But we can't say "no, you can't do that" because the minute we infringe anyone's rights then all the rest of our rights are also in danger of being infringed because it sets a precedent of taking away rights.

When a child is in time out and screaming at the top of his lungs in a desperate attempt for attention is it best to beat them or to just ignore them and prove once and for all that such tactics won't get them anywhere??

tmThEMaN

i'm wondering,
are there any teachings in the qur'an that suggest forgiveness like "turn the other cheek" and something like by your works will all people know me by your faith?

Forgiveness is very rewarded in Islam, but it is not forgiveness in the sense of turning the other cheek. As in it is not the forgiveness of offenders while they are offending. It is the forgiveness of a repenter.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Good. I didn't think you would. But I assume you're still not against retaliation of some kind, as against property.

If it means retaliation for what someone else does to their own property, then you're right, it's something I wouldn't have estimated.

you are calling this anger as irrational based on what ?
Based on the Muslim investiment of emotional value in the property of someone else.

. We do not consider your rationality to be the judge on us.
Fine, but if what you do results in harmful retaliation be prepared to suffer the consequences.

waitasec

Veteran Member
the punishment doesn't fit the crime
it's not even an eye for an eye, is it?
**** on their bible...that would be a more appropriate retaliation
it seems that distinguishing the "enemy" would be the only way to deal with opposition

it is how we react that sets us apart from the rest

this guy is an obvious idiot being judged by the world as such right now,
what else do you want?

sniper762

his actions have nothing too gain but "self edification" of those involved

im sure his jesus would not condone it

waitasec

Veteran Member
Forgiveness is very rewarded in Islam, but it is not forgiveness in the sense of turning the other cheek. As in it is not the forgiveness of offenders while they are offending. It is the forgiveness of a repenter.

but that's easy...
it's hard to forgive those that mean you harm.
is the islamic faith about taking the easy way or becoming a better person?