• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rape culture

Thana

Lady
Don't be silly, it is an addiction in many ways, but that doesn't mean we have to except that, hence we have laws against it, Dhoo.:facepalm:

Addiction?
You imply that addiction can be used as an excuse, Or at the very least, Make it understandable or lessen the issue.

It does not.

Me Myself

Back to my username
:facepalm:

Of course, I guess I (often mistakenly) assume people mean what they write or say.

He told you you were right.

What are you seeking?ñ
I am telling you he worded himself poorly.

Now (hopefully) you understand the point he actually wanted to argue. What are you doing now?

This is coming to be purposeful derail of the topic. You ve already understood what he meant.

What is it that you are seeking?

psychoslice

Veteran Member
Addiction?
You imply that addiction can be used as an excuse, Or at the very least, Make it understandable or lessen the issue.

It does not.

I didn't say that at all, in stead of getting up on your high horse, take more time to read what other say.

Enai de a lukal

He told you you were right.

What are you seeking?ñ
I am telling you he worded himself poorly.

Now (hopefully) you understand the point he actually wanted to argue. What are you doing now?

This is coming to be purposeful derail of the topic. You ve already understood what he meant.

What is it that you are seeking?
Um, to have moved on by now? I tried getting back on topic but nobody seemed interested in responding to those, but wanted to keep talking about this trivial nonsense.

Last edited by a moderator:

Me Myself

Back to my username
:yes:

What are you basing this on, out of curiosity?

I think you may be mistaking what "rape culture" refers to; which would explain the movie comment earlier. Rape culture isn't confined to media- in fact, a large part of it has nothing to do with media or popular culture, but more with attitudes and beliefs; for instance, the belief that women who dress... erm, scantily, are "asking for it"- i.e. justifying or trivializing rape, and rationalizing the act. Or how promiscuity may be offered as a reason or explanation for a rape. These are the things which, I think, "rape culture" refers to for most people- although depictions of rape in the media may certainly qualify as well (and, arguably, the level of sexual objectification of women in general- i.e. in movies, TV, magazines, etc.).

I'm just not sure how to accurately quantify or guess how prevalent these things actually are- although, as I said, I think (or hope) they are better now than they were a generation or two ago.

The problem is that rape only happens with lack of consent. With consent, it is sex.

So it becomes of primary interest to know if she indeed was asking for it.

Naturally, simply being dressed in a certain way is not the same as asking for sex, but many ques can be misread.

This is part of the problem.

No :yes:

May very well mean she was asking for it.

Many circumstances lend themselvss to be gray and the fact that women are more prone to resent sex after the act than the ither way around makes the phenomena complicated.

A woman can agree at first, have sex and then change her mind.

In many circumstances neither of them say "now we are going to have sex" "Yes, lets have sex" "okay" "okay" "then we agree?" "Yes" "right now?" "Yes. Lets start right now"

This doesnt happen very often.

Enai de a lukal

The problem is that rape only happens with lack of consent. With consent, it is sex.

Naturally, simply being dressed in a certain way is not the same as asking for sex, but many ques can be misread.

But see, this is precisely the sort of attitude that we are talking about; how someone is dressed has no bearing on the moral or legal status of rape- it does not explain it, it does not justify it, it does not mitigate it. And when enough people believe that it does, that certainly leads to an atmosphere conducive to sexual violence. We are basically apologizing for it, when it brooks no apology whatsoever.

Many circumstances lend themselvss to be gray and the fact that women are more prone to resent sex after the act than the ither way around makes the phenomena complicated.
Is that a fact? Aside from pop/folk wisdom about men and sex, I don't see why that is so.

But is there any evidence correlating this with reports of rape? This just sounds like the same rape culture narrative; we're told that this is so, but it is certainly not consistent with my experience.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
What do you mean?
How do you see it?
I'm still unclear

I have already told you how I see it, and I am not going to repeat myself, you are bringing your emotions into it, and this is blinding you from what I am trying to say, or what I have already said.

Thana

Lady
I have already told you how I see it, and I am not going to repeat myself, you are bringing your emotions into it, and this is blinding you from what I am trying to say, or what I have already said.

Oh really?
Did you really just call me emotional?

I was actually honestly curious about what you thought, That's why I asked.
But now I could give a rats a** what a person like you thinks.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
Oh really?
Did you really just call me emotional?

I was actually honestly curious about what you thought, That's why I asked.
But now I could give a rats a** what a person like you thinks.

I don't give a stuff what you think, you are a very rude person as I have noticed throughout the forum, I hope you can one day do something about that, or is it an addiction lol.

Curious George

Veteran Member

This is part of the problem.

No :yes:

May very well mean she was asking for it.

In many circumstances neither of them say "now we are going to have sex" "Yes, lets have sex" "okay" "okay" "then we agree?" "Yes" "right now?" "Yes. Lets start right now"

This doesnt happen very often.

you bring up signals. You also point to the uniqueness of signals. Well, that cuts both ways. Their is also a uniqueness in reading signals. However we must have some standard that deals with both signals and the reading of those signals. We call this the reasonable person standard. Now, we have decided that a persons dress does not induce a reasonable person to believe you have consented to sex. So we can just take that right out of the equation. Next we have decided the type of neighborhood also does not effect this. So that can get out too. Yet, so many people still suggest that she was asking for it based on those alone. How and if someome said no, or other actions they took are very much considered. I do not know why you would think they were not. However, beliefs such as it's the wife's duty or that person was into me before they got drunk and passed out. The fact that we even have a date rape drug(I can't think of any murdering drugs with a pet name) shows there is a problem.

Curious George

Veteran Member
Anyone check the prevalence of rape compared to murder? I would assume if murder was as abundant as rape we would probably have more Web pages about murder culture.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
To start it off, here are a couple key points to discuss:
- blaming the victim isn't exclusive to the crime of rape
- sympathizing with the criminal isn't exclusive to rape

Seriously? Some bovine moron thinks that is a logical argument against the notion we live in a rape culture and everyone is actually debating it as if it isn't pure illogical pig sweat? Really?