• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rape culture

psychoslice

Veteran Member
freethinker44, The point is that rape culture isn't as prevalent as violence or drug or even theft culture.

Yes I agree, I thought it was common sense to realize this.

freethinker44

freethinker44, The point is that rape culture isn't as prevalent as violence or drug or even theft culture.

Yes I agree, I thought it was common sense to realize this.

You would think, and maybe it's different where you live, but in the US rape culture is made out to be a big deal. Just by googling rape culture, murder culture, and theft culture, I get a handful sites that talk about murder and theft as a product of culture and hundreds of sites about rape as a product of culture.

Me Myself

Back to my username
This is kind of a straw man argument. Obviously no one is going to say those things about theft or murder, but you might hear something like "they should have known how dangerous that part of town is" or "if you don't want your things stolen you shouldn't leave your doors unlocked" or "he got shot because he had his hoodie pulled up over his head".

Pretty much it.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
You would think, and maybe it's different where you live, but in the US rape culture is made out to be a big deal. Just by googling rape culture, murder culture, and theft culture, I get a handful sites that talk about murder and theft as a product of culture and hundreds of sites about rape as a product of culture.

Yes i see, I don't think any culture really cultivates rape, it just happens, even animals do it, it could be our animal instincts coming to surface, most people can control those thoughts but some cannot and they are the ones who rape, steal or whatever.

freethinker44

Yes i see, I don't think any culture really cultivates rape, it just happens, even animals do it, it could be our animal instincts coming to surface, most people can control those thoughts but some cannot and they are the ones who rape, steal or whatever.

I wouldn't say people can't control their urges, I think any human can control any urges or drives. Lack of will power isn't and shouldn't be a valid excuse. But I do agree with you about animals though. And I do think our culture encourages rape, I'm just playing devils advocate here, but I'm starting to believe it isn't as serious as it is made out to be. No worse than any other crime is encouraged by culture.

Last edited:

Me Myself

Back to my username

There is indeed rape in nature.

Even cases of chimpanzees raping human females.

Thana

Lady

Please,
People can control their actions and curb wayward thoughts.
They just choose not to.

Me Myself

Back to my username
No but how many movies portray men with insatiable or uncontrollable urges?

A lot? Being powerthisty is a common archetype for males honestly.

They say in Alexander the Great's tomb it said something like "For a man to which the world did not suffice, one tomb is enough"

The question would be more interestin from the angle of how much movies protray males. Period. Which is an interesting analisis bia Bechdel test.

In any case, what is the point?

psychoslice

Veteran Member
Please,
People can control their actions and curb wayward thoughts.
They just choose not to.

This would be wonderful if it was true but its not, hence so many who are addicted to whatever, I'm not making excuses for them, but that is the situation like it or not.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
This would be wonderful if it was true but its not, hence so many who are addicted to whatever, I'm not making excuses for them, but that is the situation like it or not.

how does someone develop a 'rape' addiction???

freethinker44

No one is addicted to rape or murder or theft. Also, people can beat addictions, no urge is uncontrollable.

Me Myself

Back to my username
I thought this thread was getting dry, so why not bring this up ?.

Oh trust me, this lind of subejct thread is likely to get hot as it is. Id advice a new thread for what can be addiction or not, and you knowhow the free will threads get anyways.

You are bringing too many big fish here, not one will be given proper follow up! :eek: