• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rape?

Poisonshady313

For the purpose of violently assaulting somebody. What's the purpose of gay bashing, bullying, elder abuse, child abuse, etc? The impulse common to all forms of assault is to hurt somebody, not to "take" something. There are easier ways to express a dislike of homosexuality than shooting a homosexual in the street.
Again... there are easier ways to hurt someone than forcing sexual contact.

Assault can be a means to an end. It is not always an end itself.

Titanic

Imagine her while you masturbate. Go somewhere where prostitution is legal and find a realy good looking person, change your standards, etc.

When I was horny enough, I changed my standards for visual appeal. The sex was way better than the hand still. Sure, would`ve been better with a sexier woman, but oh well.

Well I do go to Vegas a lot. I am in hollywood quite a lot as well. I guess your right. Although I am no Jack Dawson I sure as hell am no henry lee lucas either.

Alceste

Vagabond
I get pretty desperate sometime's. You would think being an actor and all you would get a lot of women. But I have only had sex a few time's in my life.

Maybe you are coming off as creepy. Lots of guys, particularly young inexperienced guys, display a sense of sexual entitlement that puts women off. They say things like "why don't women go for nice guys" or express frustration and bewilderment that their nice car, fat wallet, glamorous job or large biceps aren't resulting in unlimited access to poontang.

Those assumptions are based on some massive misconceptions about women that will dissipate over time the more you get to know us. The quickest way to turn a woman off is to assume she ought to be turned on, particularly by something superficial like your job.

Anyway, musicians get more snatch than actors. Maybe you should learn to play the guitar. :D

Alceste

Vagabond
You keep wrongly inserting the word "consensual" into your argument.

Nobody said that the rapists goal is consensual sex. Yet you keep arguing as if that's what you're arguing against.

Just because we say they want sex doesn't mean they want consensual sex. They want human sexual contact that they can't get from masturbation.

Eh... look. The proposition is that people sometimes or often start raping others primarily because they aren't getting enough sex. Sex is implicitly consensual. Non-consensual sex is rape by definition.

I'm arguing that people who want sex (which is consensual by nature) don't settle for rape when they can't get sex. They go for masturbation or prostitution. People who want rape - by definition, non-consensual - are not going to be satisfied by consensual sex no matter how much they are getting. Just like a person who wants to hurt homosexuals physically is not going to be satisfied by throwing darts at a photograph of Elton John or hate-spamming homosexuals on twitter.

Me Myself

Back to my username
Eh... look. The proposition is that people sometimes or often start raping others primarily because they aren't getting enough sex. Sex is implicitly consensual. Non-consensual sex is rape by definition.

sex
Pronunciation: /sɛks/

Translate sex | into French | into German | into Italian | into Spanish
Definition of sex
noun
1 [mass noun] (chiefly with reference to people) sexual activity, including specifically sexual intercourse:
he enjoyed talking about sex
she didn’t want to have sex with him

I dont find the consensual. Sex is implicitely sexual, that`s all. Rape is a form of sexual violence. It is sexual. If it is not sexual it is not rape. (notice that I am not saying it needs to be sexually motivated, but it does need to be somehow sexual)

Poisonshady313

Intercourse is intercourse... whether it's consensual or not. When it cannot be obtained legally, it will be sought after illegally (by a person not deterred by the consequences of doing so.)

I'm arguing that people who want sex (which is consensual by nature) don't settle for rape when they can't get sex. They go for masturbation or prostitution.
You are describing most people. Law abiding people.

Criminals by definition don't do the things you think they ought to (i.e. do things legally)

People who want rape - by definition, non-consensual - are not going to be satisfied by consensual sex no matter how much they are getting.
The argument proposed by the OP is that some people who rape didn't necessarily want rape. They want sex and can't get it consensually. In that situation... you would either buy it, or do without. But there are some people in this world who choose the wrong/illegal path.

Alceste

Vagabond
sex
Pronunciation: /sɛks/

Translate sex | into French | into German | into Italian | into Spanish
Definition of sex
noun
1 [mass noun] (chiefly with reference to people) sexual activity, including specifically sexual intercourse:
he enjoyed talking about sex
she didn’t want to have sex with him

I dont find the consensual. Sex is implicitely sexual, that`s all. Rape is a form of sexual violence. It is sexual. If it is not sexual it is not rape. (notice that I am not saying it needs to be sexually motivated, but it does need to be somehow sexual)

Jeez, you with your dictionary. The purpose of words is to communicate ideas. Context is indispensable. Was my post unclear? If so, please ask for clarification. I'm boycotting semantic arguments from now on.

www.religiousforums.com/forum/3333635-post42.html

Alceste

Vagabond
Intercourse is intercourse... whether it's consensual or not. When it cannot be obtained legally, it will be sought after illegally (by a person not deterred by the consequences of doing so.)

You are describing most people. Law abiding people.

Criminals by definition don't do the things you think they ought to (i.e. do things legally)

The argument proposed by the OP is that some people who rape didn't necessarily want rape. They want sex and can't get it consensually. In that situation... you would either buy it, or do without. But there are some people in this world who choose the wrong/illegal path.

Rape is the path that requires avoidable violence against another human being. We are not psychologically cut out for that, generally speaking. Even soldiers - extensively trained to cope with violence and aggression and acting fully within the parameters of the law - are traumatized by doing unnecessary violence to others.

Me Myself

Back to my username
Jeez, you with your dictionary. The purpose of words is to communicate ideas. Context is indispensable. Was my post unclear? If so, please ask for clarification. I'm boycotting semantic arguments from now on.

www.religiousforums.com/forum/3333635-post42.html

Well, all rape is sex or sexual.

In any case, people often go after the "closest" thing to what we really want.

If someone wants sex and doesnt care wheter it is consensual or not, well, he doesnt.

Still more likely to try consensual first to avoid legal punishment, but if he wants it badly enough and has no moral or empathic inner restraints, he may very well go for it in the way he can find it, even if that is rape. (notice most people would have moral or empathic restraints for it. )

Poisonshady313

Rape is the path that requires avoidable violence against another human being. We are not psychologically cut out for that, generally speaking. Even soldiers - extensively trained to cope with violence and aggression and acting fully within the parameters of the law - are traumatized by doing unnecessary violence to others.
The same can be said for murder. But what you're talking about is what separates criminals from the rest of us.

Most of us wouldn't murder a person to obtain their car. Most of us would scrape up to buy our own. Or avail ourselves of public transportation. Or walk.

But the criminal will break the law to obtain what he wants illegally. Even if that means using avoidable/unnecessary violence to do so.

Alceste

Vagabond
The same can be said for murder. But what you're talking about is what separates criminals from the rest of us.

Most of us wouldn't murder a person to obtain their car. Most of us would scrape up to buy our own. Or avail ourselves of public transportation. Or walk.

But the criminal will break the law to obtain what he wants illegally. Even if that means using avoidable/unnecessary violence to do so.

Again, rape isn't theft. It's physical assault. So we're not talking about the difference between taking the bus and stealing a car. We're talking about the difference between car jacking - intentionally waiting until there is a human being to threaten, intimidate or injure - and hot wiring a car with nobody in it, or borrowing a car. The former is like rape, the middle is like masturbation, the latter is like consensual sex.

Last edited:

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Again, rape isn't theft. It's physical assault. So we're not talking about the difference between taking the bus and stealing a car. We're talking about the difference between car jacking - intentionally waiting until there is a human being to threaten, intimidate or injure - and hot wiring a car with nobody in it. The former is like rape, the latter is like masturbation.

This analogy is the closest thing to rape I've seen in this thread.