• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rape?

Alceste

Vagabond
I was under the impression they were. If I was wrong, then my mistake.

Nah, just combating the nonsensical claim that people sometimes get so horny that their only option is to run out and rape somebody, even though they would have preferred consensual sex.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Nah, just combating the nonsensical claim that people sometimes get so horny that their only option is to run out and rape somebody, even though they would have preferred consensual sex.

Yeah, I don't know anything about that. I'm simply combating the nonsensical claim that rape is always only about power, and never at all about sex.

Alceste

Vagabond
Reviewing the start of this thread, it appears that Vinayaka and Mystic did.

Ah, well. You may be right. Obviously there is a sexual element, since rape is a sexual crime. The problem arises when we view sexual arousal as the primary casual factor, since it creates the misleading impression that unrelated factors such as what we wear, how we express our own sexuality, how flirty and forward we are, etc. are increasing our risk of being victimized by a rapist.

You're more likely to be targeted for violence of any kind by how self-possessed and aware of your surroundings you appear than what you wear. Framing rape as a power / violence issue helps us better assess the actual risk factors instead of worrying about the length of our skirts and how friendly we are with the opposite sex.

Titanic

So If a serial killer said lack of sex was the reason they raped and killed people then they are wrong?

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Ah, well. You may be right. Obviously there is a sexual element, since rape is a sexual crime. The problem arises when we view sexual arousal as the primary casual factor, since it creates the misleading impression that unrelated factors such as what we wear, how we express our own sexuality, how flirty and forward we are, etc. are increasing our risk of being victimized by a rapist.

You're more likely to be targeted for violence of any kind by how self-possessed and aware of your surroundings you appear than what you wear. Framing rape as a power / violence issue helps us better assess the actual risk factors instead of worrying about the length of our skirts and how friendly we are with the opposite sex.

Certainly, all relevant points.

Me Myself

Back to my username

Who said that was their only option? you have a quote for that?

Me Myself

Back to my username
So If a serial killer said lack of sex was the reason they raped and killed people then they are wrong?

why not? you tell it like they would be inherently trustworthy. Maybe he was telling the truth, maybe not. Just his word doesnt count for much, specially in his position.

Titanic

If someone said lack of sex was the reason they commited the act of rape then they are just not being honest? I think that there has to be a breaking point somewhere.

Titanic

I mean isn't there a limit to how much a person can be without something that is a basic need to most people? Sex is a basic need. What if he was telling the truth? I think there has to of been at least one case of it being true.

Me Myself

Back to my username
I mean isn't there a limit to how much a person can be without something that is a basic need to most people? Sex is a basic need. What if he was telling the truth? I think there has to of been at least one case of it being true.

With sociopaths, yeah.

He could have been telling the truth, but who knows?

Sex is not really a basic need at all. Most people survive the drive by masturbation. The reasonable way to decrease rape is to have high enough punishments for it. In general, crime will always exist though.

In the words of Diogenes when he was arrested for masturbating on public street

"I`d wish hunger went away merely by rubbing my tummy!"

Poisonshady313

I think there might be a miscommunication here somewhere.

1. You acknowledge that a person who rapes someone must have sociopathic tendencies, be driven by anger, sadism, or a desire to control others against their will.

2. That person, like most people, has sexual desires.

3. Therefore, their primary motivator for raping another person is the sexual desires and not their sociopathic tendencies? I honestly don't see how that follows.

To put it differently:

• A and B both have sexual desires.

• B is a sociopath while A isn't.

• B commits rape while A doesn't.

In this case, what reason is there to assume that the shared trait between the two was the main motivator for rape rather than the trait which was not shared between them?

I wouldn't say that sociopathy movitaves or drives or causes anything. A lack of regard for other people doesn't CAUSE you do bad things to other people. It just enables you to not care about doing or having done them.

The tendency to disregard the consequences of one's actions is not the same as what motivates those actions to begin with.

Me Myself

Back to my username
I wouldn't say that sociopathy movitaves or drives or causes anything. A lack of regard for other people doesn't CAUSE you do bad things to other people. It just enables you to not care about doing or having done them.

The tendency to disregard the consequences of one's actions is not the same as what motivates those actions to begin with.

Exactly!

Anger alone doesnt cause rape

POwer thirst alone doesnt cause rape

sexual gratification alone dosnt cause rape

Being a psycopath doesnt cause rape in itself either.

It is the mix of some of this elements that may propel the person towards such action. Expecting a simple direct easy 100% answer is silly.

Alceste

Vagabond
If someone said lack of sex was the reason they commited the act of rape then they are just not being honest? I think that there has to be a breaking point somewhere.

Who has ever said that? You claim that a notorious liar said so, but haven't told us where you got that information or why you think he was being honest on that single occasion.

Alceste

Vagabond
Exactly!

Anger alone doesnt cause rape

POwer thirst alone doesnt cause rape

sexual gratification alone dosnt cause rape

Being a psycopath doesnt cause rape in itself either.

It is the mix of some of this elements that may propel the person towards such action. Expecting a simple direct easy 100% answer is silly.

That sounds oddly passive. "Propel someone" to rape? It's sounds as if you don't think rapists have free will, or they are not fully responsible for their actions.

Me Myself

Back to my username
That sounds oddly passive. "Propel someone" to rape? It's sounds as if you don't think rapists have free will, or they are not fully responsible for their actions.

I am a determinist, but that`s another discussion altogether.

The thing is that while sexual gratificaton alone doesnt force everyone to rape, anger alone doesnt force everyone to rape either. It takes a specific kind of mix of motivations and person for that.

You said you were fighting the nonsensical claim that lack of sex means someone has NO OPTION but to rape, did you think I was saying that?