• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Replacing/Removing God/Religion

imaginaryme

It has been my experience as a gay man that Abrahamic religion generally does not conduce to compassion. On the contrary, it generally endorses or even demands the marginalization, exclusion, and persecution of gay people, in many times and places even to the point of demanding our deaths. These religions have likewise endorsed slavery, wars, religious persecutions, and genocides. Whether it Cardinal Spellman calling the Vietnam War "Christ's war against the Vietcong" or James Dobson calling Bush's invasion of Iraq a "noble cause", I can't imagine how anyone could view Abrahamic religion as very effective at teaching compassion.
And why is that that a mere "for instance" should become the impetuous for such a rebuttal? I endeavor to practice what I preach in practicing not to preach. To not say the same tired lines, over and over. And when I speak volumes, I get ignored, misunderstood, willfully misinterpreted; or I get - I don't get it - and others answer questions quoted from my text with answers from my text, and form an idiot harmony..

There's yer golden rule. Just because I don't wanna preach the fifty or so passages from the Bible - Exodus talking about aliens for one - of how complex morality is simplified with parable, I get a freaking lecture... I won't consider you a gay man. I will consider you a man; if it becomes relevant, I may mention homosexuality. For all your experience, perhaps you have yet to learn what I have learned from my brief experience with being a transvestite. When one expresses themselves by their sexuality; they become that sexuality - and not human. Say what you mean, let others err with false implications; that's my story - sitting here talking to myself. :p

And plenty of forms that teach believers to think they know everyone else's place, and have a duty to make sure they stay in it, that divide the world into "us" and "them," and "know" that the greater good means triumph over "them."

Wrong. All the forms. Religion is intolerant. Which I may have covered in detail elsewhere and may be why I chose not to here... but hey, that's just me. Me, me, me, me, me... there's yer fricking golden rule, reflected. Seeing how others carry the banners of their crusade in simple, oft repeated terminology - or my current peeve, check my sig... golden rule my Golden Hind... where was I? Oh, yes, apologizing for my rant. Forgive me.

I mean, the taoist within knows everybody's place... knowing placement and alignment is essential taoist wisdom; what makes it wise is aversion to conversion, but like tao itself, contrast defines. Revealed religion is what amplifies contrast - satan is straight horse**** and any theist of intelligence should realize this - but having a "god of evil" working a malignant purpose among hapless mankind serves the agenda. How to contrast the supposed good of god with the suppossed wickness of man portrayed through the supposed evil of satan in order to harvest converts.... but that's me. When I read this type of tract in the Bible, the stupid brain does the "edited for content bit" and I keep going. I don't accept what doesn't apply - and a lot of it does not apply - but if I was so inclined to call myself Christian, I would do so. I would also tell the minister how to read the Bible and the congregation how to understand; and if they did not like it, they could...

But to do some more golden rule bit - I am more of a "true Christian" than anyone I know; than I meet, and in person it is evident - so what I'm saying is that, the words, the format, the framework, the ritual... is mostly a whole lot of noise to the signal of understanding a god that is beyond understanding. But that's just me, and i don't know jack. :D

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Wrong. I can say that, because I know stuff. You won't find no prophet in the presence of god - because essentially a prophet is a tool, as such used and abused; and as such intrinsically meaningless. You may think of eternal life - I think of eternal utility, for the fate of broken tools is the dustbin.

The golden rule is actually silver - it often works as a quickie cliche - but it ain't no kind of knowledge. I could speak of my sexual fetish, but that's easy. How about the lesson of giving? Go ahead - home experiment - see what happens when you give and do not receive. I'll tell you. You will alienate yourself from society. It's my turn, is it?

Parrots don't speak, they parrot; and what they parrot is often spawn by emotional, unspoken cues resulting from tone. Ohh, golden rule... we all die...

Wrong. The fear of death is enhanced by its being unknowable - but the far greater fear is what drives religion. The fear of being alone. Parrot. :p :D :jam:

I didn't write the 'golden rule'.
Your objection is noted. The author and prophets will hear of it.
You can stand alone if you want to.

As for replacing religion?
The 'golden rule' is sufficient.

I did question earlier in this thread....relinquishing religion is equivalent to abandoning faith?
I think not.

footprints

Is religion and/or god something that could be removed from human society? If so, could they simply be removed, or would they need to be replaced with something else? If so, what thing(s) could serve as adequate replacement(s) for religion and/or god? Essentially, if there are components of god/religion which fill a necessary role for people in general, what are these components, and what else shares them?

Most things are only a generation away from extinction. Yes religion could be removed from society. Religions per se are just a moral based code of ethics which people try to adhere to. No society could operate without a moral based code. For most part now we have laws which say how far a person can go, so in essence we have already replaced religions, albeit in saying this, most laws do align with their religous values. Don't kill, don't steal, et al are good values in any mans language, why change something that is good.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Is religion and/or god something that could be removed from human society?
No. Current research all but proves that, right or wrong, we're hardwired for them. To excise them, we'd have to rewrite our very physiology.

That said, they might eventually evolve into something unrecognizable to us.

If so, could they simply be removed, or would they need to be replaced with something else? If so, what thing(s) could serve as adequate replacement(s) for religion and/or god?
N/A

Essentially, if there are components of god/religion which fill a necessary role for people in general, what are these components, and what else shares them?
I'm may be answering the wrong question (let me know). Anyway, in no particular order:
1) The spandrel hypothesis (our instinctive attribution of agency).
Might eventually be overcome by reason.

2) Mystical experience/ trance states.
Will always require some explanation. While science might eventually provide a compelling, irreligious one, I have my doubts that that will be able to overcome the instinctive belief so often triggered by such experiences. However, increasing understanding combined with growing dissatisfaction with traditional religion may well contribute to religion's transformation.

3) Our psychological need for ritual.
This would be the most easily replaced, provided it is not repressed due to its traditional association with religion.

4) Strong community.
While religion is, of course, not necessary for healthy community, it does fill that need admirably. I can't help but notice that as our society has become more secular, our sense of isolation has also increased. I know, I know, correlation does not equal causation. Worth mentioning all the same.

Whether religion is replaced in this capacity or not, it's a dangerous one. In an age of increasing globalization, we must strike a tricky balance between fostering community and discouraging tribalism. I think religion has an all-too-often discarded advantage in this regard. Every religion I'm familiar with teaches peace and brotherhood at its core. If the religious as a whole would simply focus on this, rather than competition for souls, I think we would make tremendous progress toward lasting peace. Shame so many of us drop the ball. :(

5) Fuzziest of all, religion seems to (generally) contribute to good mental health. Now, some have theorized that this is simply because of the greater likelihood of strong community, but I have another idea. The religious, by and large, are far more likely to believe that "a higher power" is looking out for them. That the universe is on their side. As Huston Smith writes, "This is a feeling that can get drunkards out of ditches." (There's a reason the Second Step is to surrender to a higher power.)
I can't think of a secular replacement for this sense of solace and strength.

I could probably think of more, but that'll do for now.

MSizer

MSizer
As for replacing religion?
The 'golden rule' is sufficient.

And a statement like that is all I need to show how laughable divine command theory of morality is. First of all, yes, I know you probably are aware that the golden rule was around before Jesus, but did you know that it was worded specifically inversly on purpose to Jesus' version? The Jews and Confucious say "don't do to other what you would not want done to you". What's the difference? It's far too presumptuous to think you know what another wants done to him or her. At least most of us can agree that we don't want to be torutured or deprived of basic needs to flourish (food, shelter, modest property, freedom to procreate...)

The golden rule, while it is valuable, only takes us as far as "my actions affect other people, so I should be mindful of that" but doesn't even begin to address whether actions are moral by deontology or by consequence. That's what I can't stand about people who say they get their morals from the bible or koran. They know so little about moral theory that they don't even recognize their own lack understanding of ethics. Morality is a faculty of the mind like language is, and it's influenced by our emotions (mainly the emotion of disgust) and reason (though many of us fail to appeal to it). If all we used was the golden rule to get along, we would have become extinct by now. In fact, we wouldn't have evolved to what we are in the first place.

MSizer

MSizer
Most things are only a generation away from extinction. Yes religion could be removed from society. Religions per se are just a moral based code of ethics which people try to adhere to. No society could operate without a moral based code. For most part now we have laws which say how far a person can go, so in essence we have already replaced religions, albeit in saying this, most laws do align with their religous values. Don't kill, don't steal, et al are good values in any mans language, why change something that is good.

No, religions package ethics into very simple deontological views, which are sufficient for allowing us to survive, but sure do leave a lot to be desired. Morality is inherint like language, and religion claims authority over it. It's ridiculous. And religion is far more than an alleged athaurity on morality. It's a result of our collective mental predispositions to attribute agency to the unknown and our need for community. Religion is intertwined within our minds, and it's like asking whether we can eliminate language. The ability for language is built into us. We learn specific vocabulary, but the ability to form grammar is a function of the mind, just like sight or memory. So it is impossible to remove religion from humanity, it is part of humanity like our bodies are.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
And a statement like that is all I need to show how laughable divine command theory of morality is. First of all, yes, I know you probably are aware that the golden rule was around before Jesus, but did you know that it was worded specifically inversly on purpose to Jesus' version? The Jews and Confucious say "don't do to other what you would not want done to you". What's the difference? It's far too presumptuous to think you know what another wants done to him or her. At least most of us can agree that we don't want to be torutured or deprived of basic needs to flourish (food, shelter, modest property, freedom to procreate...)

The golden rule, while it is valuable, only takes us as far as "my actions affect other people, so I should be mindful of that" but doesn't even begin to address whether actions are moral by deontology or by consequence. That's what I can't stand about people who say they get their morals from the bible or koran. They know so little about moral theory that they don't even recognize their own lack understanding of ethics. Morality is a faculty of the mind like language is, and it's influenced by our emotions (mainly the emotion of disgust) and reason (though many of us fail to appeal to it). If all we used was the golden rule to get along, we would have become extinct by now. In fact, we wouldn't have evolved to what we are in the first place.

I think you went to far on that extinction idea, while not going far enough on the golden rule.

But I believe in life after death.
I am also sure that 6billion will die within my life time.

As we cross over into eternal life, that golden rule takes on a new status.
It will be done unto you as you did unto others.

I don't care about religion.
You can chase after God any way you want to.
But without that golden rule up front and personal, what do you suppose your life will be like...
in the hereafter?

Last edited:

xkatz

Is religion and/or god something that could be removed from human society? If so, could they simply be removed, or would they need to be replaced with something else? If so, what thing(s) could serve as adequate replacement(s) for religion and/or god? Essentially, if there are components of god/religion which fill a necessary role for people in general, what are these components, and what else shares them?

I don't think you can remove god and/or religion from society. People will always have their own, individual beliefs about how the world works, regardless of how logical or illogical they are. I think god/religion makes people feel like they are part of something greater, and gives them hope.

Smoke

Done here.
And why is that that a mere "for instance" should become the impetuous for such a rebuttal?
Because it was a damned stupid "for instance." If you'd like your statements to go unchallenged, you probably shouldn't publish them on a forum.

footprints

No, religions package ethics into very simple deontological views, which are sufficient for allowing us to survive, but sure do leave a lot to be desired. Morality is inherint like language, and religion claims authority over it. It's ridiculous. And religion is far more than an alleged athaurity on morality. It's a result of our collective mental predispositions to attribute agency to the unknown and our need for community. Religion is intertwined within our minds, and it's like asking whether we can eliminate language. The ability for language is built into us. We learn specific vocabulary, but the ability to form grammar is a function of the mind, just like sight or memory. So it is impossible to remove religion from humanity, it is part of humanity like our bodies are.

Hi MSizer, I am not sure where you got most of your details from, but they are so far from being right it isn't funny. Morality isn't inherent, morality is something which is taught and learned. Language isn't inherent it is also something which is taught and learned. For evidence of morality and language refer to case study on Genie Wiley. Religion isn't intertwined within our minds, and it is not like asking if we can eliminate language, if you need proof of this go to China (mostly atheists) and tell them that religion is intertwined in their mind. However China was once dominated by religions, until religions were banned. Thing is with China, even though religions are banned, they still have the same problems they had when religions were there, just not religions doing it now, others have taken their place.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
No. Current research all but proves that, right or wrong, we're hardwired for them. To excise them, we'd have to rewrite our very physiology.
I agree that evidence seems to point in that direction, but for all our "hardwiring", atheists do exist. It seems to me that there's more to our physiological story. Maybe we're predisposed to religion, but that doesn't mean that it's impossible to be irreligious.

I'm may be answering the wrong question (let me know). Anyway, in no particular order:
1) The spandrel hypothesis (our instinctive attribution of agency).
Might eventually be overcome by reason.
And also by changing the "payout" of the "game".

Michael Shermer had a good point about this - when it comes to attribution of agency in the conditions that humanity has been in historically, the cost of a Type I
error (i.e. assuming that agency exists where it actually doesn't) is quite low, while the cost of a Type II error (i.e. assuming that no agency exists where it actually does) can be very high. If you get nervous at a rustle in the bushes and it's just the wind, you don't really lose much. If you don't get nervous at a rustle in the bushes and it's a tiger, you're lunch.

No system of intuition is going to be perfect, so there's pressure on us to favour Type I errors instead of Type II errors in this case. However, if we were to ever find ourselves in a situation where, say, Type I errors also had a high cost relative to Type II errors, then humanity would be under different pressures and we'd expect to see a different result.

However, I'm having a hard time trying to figure out a situation where the cost for these errors would change like this.

2) Mystical experience/ trance states.
Will always require some explanation. While science might eventually provide a compelling, irreligious one, I have my doubts that that will be able to overcome the instinctive belief so often triggered by such experiences. However, increasing understanding combined with growing dissatisfaction with traditional religion may well contribute to religion's transformation.
I'm not sure how much we explicitly need to take these into account. Yes, I think that it's possible to build up religions around mystical experiences (and I think that many religions have), but IMO, these sorts of experiences will always be the province of a very small minority of people.

I think that it can be up to society to decide how much weight they want to give to these sorts of experiences. At the one end, they can be central to a religion: the mystics could be priests or shamans. At the other end, they can be dismissed outright... as effects of natural brain physiology or of something like demonic posession (depending on era and personal inclination).

3) Our psychological need for ritual.
This would be the most easily replaced, provided it is not repressed due to its traditional association with religion.
I don't think that "ritual" necessarily implies religion. Religion may be one of the most obvious manifestations of religion, but I think ritual pervades our lives regardless. I don't think that taking away religion means removal of ritual from our lives at all, so I don't think we need to worry at all that there'd be some "hole" here that would need filling.

4) Strong community.
While religion is, of course, not necessary for healthy community, it does fill that need admirably. I can't help but notice that as our society has become more secular, our sense of isolation has also increased. I know, I know, correlation does not equal causation. Worth mentioning all the same.

Whether religion is replaced in this capacity or not, it's a dangerous one. In an age of increasing globalization, we must strike a tricky balance between fostering community and discouraging tribalism. I think religion has an all-too-often discarded advantage in this regard. Every religion I'm familiar with teaches peace and brotherhood at its core. If the religious as a whole would simply focus on this, rather than competition for souls, I think we would make tremendous progress toward lasting peace. Shame so many of us drop the ball. :(
I agree with what you've said here, but I think I have a different take on it. Religion may help group cohesiveness, but it does so by strengthening the divide between those inside the group and those outside. I think that sometimes, religion can be a barrier to having a strong community when that community is made up of many different religious groups.

And while some religions do preach peace, I think they've generally been very bad at actually instilling peace. Rather than bemoan the fact that these religions are deficient in some way, I think it's more reasonable to take this as a normal limitation on religion... or maybe on human groups in general.

5) Fuzziest of all, religion seems to (generally) contribute to good mental health. Now, some have theorized that this is simply because of the greater likelihood of strong community, but I have another idea. The religious, by and large, are far more likely to believe that "a higher power" is looking out for them. That the universe is on their side. As Huston Smith writes, "This is a feeling that can get drunkards out of ditches." (There's a reason the Second Step is to surrender to a higher power.)
I can't think of a secular replacement for this sense of solace and strength.

Yes... I think the reason for the Second Step is that the 12-step program grew from religious roots. Secular addiction programs that don't refer to a "higher power" do just as well at actually curing addiction, if not better.

And I also see a negative side to what you suggest: IMO, when a person thinks that a "higher power" is looking out for them, this can encourage complacency. I think that one of the best things I've taken from my own atheism is a sense of responsibility: if I want the world to be a particular way, it's contingent on me to do what is needed to make it happen. I may be able to get help from other people, but only to the extent that I can convince them that what I want is a good idea. And I certainly don't think that there's any sort of deity waiting in the wings who's going to pop out and make everything okay.

I think that this sense of personal responsibility (and therefore the hopefully positive actions that flow from it) is incompatible with belief in a "higher power" looking out for us.

... which may be why so many religions provide both belief in a "higher power" as well as commandments and rules of conduct; they acknowledge that they've taken away responsibility to onesself to a degree, and therefore replace it with responsibility to that higher power.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
:woohoo: Yay, I got a response! :woohoo:
I agree that evidence seems to point in that direction, but for all our "hardwiring", atheists do exist. It seems to me that there's more to our physiological story. Maybe we're predisposed to religion, but that doesn't mean that it's impossible to be irreligious.
Well, obviously. :eek:

And also by changing the "payout" of the "game".
I'm not sure what you mean by this. Elaborate, please?

However, I'm having a hard time trying to figure out a situation where the cost for these errors would change like this.
Again, I'm unclear. Are you saying that you don't think the spandrel might be overcome by reason, because it's still necessary for survival?

I'm not sure how much we explicitly need to take these into account. Yes, I think that it's possible to build up religions around mystical experiences (and I think that many religions have), but IMO, these sorts of experiences will always be the province of a very small minority of people.

I think that it can be up to society to decide how much weight they want to give to these sorts of experiences. At the one end, they can be central to a religion: the mystics could be priests or shamans. At the other end, they can be dismissed outright... as effects of natural brain physiology or of something like demonic posession (depending on era and personal inclination).
I admit to a flight of fancy on this point. Allow me to explain:

While I respect the fact that we're only beginning to understand the brain, much less consciousness, the fledgling science of neurotheology excites me on a religious level. As we increase our understanding of the mechanics behind such states, I have every expectation that it will result in new technology (it always does). I fully expect this research to lead to artificial induction of genuine trance states, perhaps even "peak experiences." I think this will happen in the foreseeable future, maybe even within my lifetime.

Assuming my prediction is correct, I fully expect this to revolutioniz religious (and irreligious) thought. No longer will gnosis be exclusive to the mystical elite and occasional fluke. I know you don't believe that theophany is the root of religion, but I do, and the idea of it being within the reach of anyone who wishes one thrills me to the core.

I could ramble on about this for pages, so I'll just stop now.

I don't think that "ritual" necessarily implies religion. Religion may be one of the most obvious manifestations of religion, but I think ritual pervades our lives regardless. I don't think that taking away religion means removal of ritual from our lives at all, so I don't think we need to worry at all that there'd be some "hole" here that would need filling.
Oh, absolutely! That's why I said it would be the easiest to replace. There are plenty of secular rituals even today.

The only problem I see is that, as our society becomes more secular, we seem to devalue ritual. I think that's a mistake, but the trend needn't continue.

I agree with what you've said here, but I think I have a different take on it. Religion may help group cohesiveness, but it does so by strengthening the divide between those inside the group and those outside. I think that sometimes, religion can be a barrier to having a strong community when that community is made up of many different religious groups.

And while some religions do preach peace, I think they've generally been very bad at actually instilling peace.
Agreed, hence my original caveats. While religion has the potential to be instrumental in forging a healthy world community, it has yet to live up to it. :(

Rather than bemoan the fact that these religions are deficient in some way,
Perhaps you're just exaggerating to make a point, but that's not at all what I was doing.

I think it's more reasonable to take this as a normal limitation on religion...
I can't agree. In the words of G.K. Chesterson, "Christianity has not been tried and found wanting; it has been found difficult and not tried."

If you ignore the inevitable human failing and focus on the teachings, the major religions are all about transcending tribalism.

We just need to work on living up to it.

or maybe on human groups in general.
Perhaps, but it's a limitation that must be outgrown.

Yes... I think the reason for the Second Step is that the 12-step program grew from religious roots. Secular addiction programs that don't refer to a "higher power" do just as well at actually curing addiction, if not better.
I didn't mean to suggest that it's necessary. However, it is a powerful thing, and I can think of no secular replacement. And on the subject of necessity, it may well be for some people. How many times have you heard something along the lines of "if God didn't exist, I'd have to invent Him?" Some people need that feeling to get by. Not all, certainly, and I'm not sure it's healthy, but there it is.

And I also see a negative side to what you suggest: IMO, when a person thinks that a "higher power" is looking out for them, this can encourage complacency.
Granted.

I think that one of the best things I've taken from my own atheism is a sense of responsibility: if I want the world to be a particular way, it's contingent on me to do what is needed to make it happen. I may be able to get help from other people, but only to the extent that I can convince them that what I want is a good idea. And I certainly don't think that there's any sort of deity waiting in the wings who's going to pop out and make everything okay.
Kudos! I, personally could not agree more.

I think that this sense of personal responsibility (and therefore the hopefully positive actions that flow from it) is incompatible with belief in a "higher power" looking out for us.
Eh, I wouldn't go that far. I absolutely share your philosophy, and, as you're well aware, my faith is just as strong.

... which may be why so many religions provide both belief in a "higher power" as well as commandments and rules of conduct; they acknowledge that they've taken away responsibility to onesself to a degree, and therefore replace it with responsibility to that higher power.
Perhaps. It's an interesting notion, but I'm afraid I don't see its relevance to my point. I mean, I see how you got here from there, but it's not what I was talking about.

cottage

One thing I can say for sure, if religion were to disappear (from the USA for instance) tomorrow there would be a lot of people going without Thanksgiving dinner next week---or dinner period, any night of the week.

Whatever else religion is responsible for, there's no denying that churches run, fund, and man most of the soup kitchens, food pantries, clothes closets, outreach programs, and basically any of the really effective charities in the U.S.

I don't know what or who would fill that void. The fact that there would even be a void says something.

I can't believe you are seriously saying if there were no religion those same people who work tirelessly for the good of others would be entirely devoid of their good intentions? People who work selflessly for others don't do it because they are religious: they do it because they care, as do all charity workers, religious or not.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
I can't believe you are seriously saying if there were no religion those same people who work tirelessly for the good of others would be entirely devoid of their good intentions? People who work selflessly for others don't do it because they are religious: they do it because they care, as do all charity workers, religious or not.
Maybe you can't believe it, because he didn't actually say that. :D

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
I can't speak for Quag, of course, but I see his point.

Of course it's not that good people would be stripped of their good intentions. However, many of them would be stripped of the means to put those intentions into action. For instance, my church recently opened a day shelter for the homeless, something *I* could probably never do.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I'm not sure what you mean by this. Elaborate, please?

Again, I'm unclear. Are you saying that you don't think the spandrel might be overcome by reason, because it's still necessary for survival?
More that I think that at a societal level, reason won't cut it by itself. I mean, we can scientifically determine that there's nothing in the basement to be afraid of, but that doesn't prevent us from having a feeling of dread when we go down there with the lights off.

I think for us to stop favouring Type I errors instead of Type II errors, we would have to be in an environment where there's a general advantage in doing so. To use the "caveman" analogy that I used before, while a predisposition to Type I errors makes you less likely to be a tiger's lunch, it might also make you scared to get a drink of water at the stream.

Basically, I think that what's needed would be a world in which most of the time, it goes against our best interest to perceive agency in things around us.

I admit to a flight of fancy on this point. Allow me to explain:

While I respect the fact that we're only beginning to understand the brain, much less consciousness, the fledgling science of neurotheology excites me on a religious level. As we increase our understanding of the mechanics behind such states, I have every expectation that it will result in new technology (it always does). I fully expect this research to lead to artificial induction of genuine trance states, perhaps even "peak experiences." I think this will happen in the foreseeable future, maybe even within my lifetime.

Assuming my prediction is correct, I fully expect this to revolutioniz religious (and irreligious) thought. No longer will gnosis be exclusive to the mystical elite and occasional fluke. I know you don't believe that theophany is the root of religion, but I do, and the idea of it being within the reach of anyone who wishes one thrills me to the core.

I could ramble on about this for pages, so I'll just stop now.
Hmm.

OTOH, I think that any research that would put theophany "within the reach of anyone" would have to do so by finding some sort of physical cause for it. Maybe that would make theophany a thing of recreation (like the effects of some drugs), but I think it would diminish its religious significance.

Oh, absolutely! That's why I said it would be the easiest to replace. There are plenty of secular rituals even today.

The only problem I see is that, as our society becomes more secular, we seem to devalue ritual. I think that's a mistake, but the trend needn't continue.
And I don't think it will.

Speaking for myself, the older I get, the more I see value in ritual... even arbitrary ritual: for instance (and as a possibly trivial example), I don't think there's any intrinsic link between smoke detectors and Daylight Savings Time, but I think it's very useful to associate them in a single ritual.

And especially in my martial arts practice, there's a strong underlying message about the importance of ritual, especially the idea that ritualizing something can be a way of expressing its importance.

Now, while some (but not all) of the rituals in my martial arts are derived from religion, mainly Shinto, to me they don't have religious importance.

And I think that's the key difference: it's not that religion has ritual and irreligion doesn't... everyone has rituals. The difference in my mind is the attitude we take toward ritual, and I don't think that the religious attitude toward ritual, i.e. embuing it with divine importance, is necessary at all.

Agreed, hence my original caveats. While religion has the potential to be instrumental in forging a healthy world community, it has yet to live up to it. :(
Why do you say that religion has this potential? I do see how religion can create group coherence, but that same process creates divisiveness between groups.

I don't think you can have the "strong community" aspect of religion you praise without the "tribalism" aspect you criticize. I think they're the same effect looked at in two different ways.

Perhaps you're just exaggerating to make a point, but that's not at all what I was doing.
Maybe I read too much into your post. Sorry.

I can't agree. In the words of G.K. Chesterson, "Christianity has not been tried and found wanting; it has been found difficult and not tried."
That Chesterton quote smacks of "no true Scotsman" to me.

If you ignore the inevitable human failing and focus on the teachings, the major religions are all about transcending tribalism.

We just need to work on living up to it.
Well, if religions are the way they are because of "inevitable human failing", then I'd say this represents a normal limitation to religion, wouldn't you?

Unless you're talking about some hypothetical religion with no people in it.

However, I disagree that the major religions are all about "transcending tribalism". I think some may be interested in pulling more members into their own tribe, but even at the level of the teachings and not their practical realities, I don't really know how your claim could be said to be true.

Perhaps, but it's a limitation that must be outgrown.
Sure, but I think that many of the things that religions do go against this goal. When we're talking about larger society, it doesn't help to break down barriers to have groups of people within that society think that they and only they are "the elect", "God's chosen people" or the like.

I'm not saying that we can't create divisiveness in other ways... divisions along cultural/national lines come to mind, for instance. However, I think that just as religions tend to be good at strengthening their own community, they're also good at building walls between their community and others.

I didn't mean to suggest that it's necessary. However, it is a powerful thing, and I can think of no secular replacement.
I think my point is more that its positive power is in proportion to its negative aspects.

And on the subject of necessity, it may well be for some people. How many times have you heard something along the lines of "if God didn't exist, I'd have to invent Him?" Some people need that feeling to get by. Not all, certainly, and I'm not sure it's healthy, but there it is.
I don't hear things like that often, but when I do, they tend to come from people who were raised in religious settings. Speaking for myself, I've never felt any need to "invent" God. In fact, I'd see it as a rather daunting task to fit God into what I know of the world.

Eh, I wouldn't go that far. I absolutely share your philosophy, and, as you're well aware, my faith is just as strong.
You know your own beliefs better than I do, so I won't speak to those... but I'm not just talking about faith in general; I'm talking about this idea of reliance on a higher power.

If a person believes that their god is watching and protecting humanity, then I agree this could lead to the positive effect you mentioned - it does give people hope: "I can rely on God, so I know I'll be able to get through this difficult time." However, negative things flow just as easily from it: "I can rely on God, so it's just as good for me to pray against this injustice as it is for me to fight it myself."

Perhaps. It's an interesting notion, but I'm afraid I don't see its relevance to my point. I mean, I see how you got here from there, but it's not what I was talking about.
Yeah... I guess it was off-topic. It just struck me that I was starting to make it sound like a person has to be an atheist to have a sense of responsibility, and I didn't want people to think that's what I was claiming.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
OTOH, I think that any research that would put theophany "within the reach of anyone" would have to do so by finding some sort of physical cause for it.
Not necessarily. Understanding the physical mechanisms would suffice. I may be picking nits, but I think the distinction is important.

Maybe that would make theophany a thing of recreation (like the effects of some drugs), but I think it would diminish its religious significance.
With respect, Penguin, having had one of those peak experiences, I disagree. The experience itself conveys the significance.

Let me be clear: I'm absolutely not saying that it would do away with theological differences overnight, nor that everyone would agree that God exists. I do think, however, it would allow everyone who cares about the subject to gain common ground. (Which might well be a crucial step towards religion living up to its peacemaking potential.) Also, it would allow everyone interested an equal starting point from which to draw their own conclusions. How that would change the face of faith, I have no idea.

And I think that's the key difference: it's not that religion has ritual and irreligion doesn't... everyone has rituals. The difference in my mind is the attitude we take toward ritual, and I don't think that the religious attitude toward ritual, i.e. embuing it with divine importance, is necessary at all.
Agreed. However, allow me to clarify: I mean primal rituals shared by the community. Rituals for birth, for death and grief, for the myriad momentous tranasitions of life. Again, I'm not saying that they need to be religious in nature, but I do think they require communal reverence.

Why do you say that religion has this potential? I do see how religion can create group coherence, but that same process creates divisiveness between groups.
Just look at the teachings. Not the traditions, but the core tenets. Take the teachings of Christ. He urged His followers to love even their enemies, cultivate humility (the good kind), and care for one another. If the majority of Christians would at least TRY to live by that philosophy, the world would be a much better place.

I don't think you can have the "strong community" aspect of religion you praise without the "tribalism" aspect you criticize. I think they're the same effect looked at in two different ways.
Perhaps, but I rather suspect we need to define our terms.

To me, "tribalism" is a universally negative trait. It's not about the health of one's own community, but its dominance over the communities of others. What does it mean to you.

Maybe I read too much into your post. Sorry.
No worries.

That Chesterton quote smacks of "no true Scotsman" to me.
Eh, I can see where you're coming from (if I squint ;)), but I disagree. It's not denying that modern Christians are Christians, it's saying they're not putting their tenets into practice. A valid criticism that I believe I've heard you make before.

Well, if religions are the way they are because of "inevitable human failing", then I'd say this represents a normal limitation to religion, wouldn't you?

Unless you're talking about some hypothetical religion with no people in it.
Touche. But no, I'm talking about a paradigm shift from elitism to compassion.

However, I disagree that the major religions are all about "transcending tribalism". I think some may be interested in pulling more members into their own tribe, but even at the level of the teachings and not their practical realities, I don't really know how your claim could be said to be true.
I don't know what to say to that. I honestly can't understand how you could give them even cursory study and not see the messages of peace. :confused:

Sure, but I think that many of the things that religions do go against this goal. When we're talking about larger society, it doesn't help to break down barriers to have groups of people within that society think that they and only they are "the elect", "God's chosen people" or the like.
No, it doesn't. I'm saying that such attitudes are counter-productive interpretations that need to be abandoned.

I'm not saying that we can't create divisiveness in other ways... divisions along cultural/national lines come to mind, for instance. However, I think that just as religions tend to be good at strengthening their own community, they're also good at building walls between their community and others.
Too true.

I think my point is more that its positive power is in proportion to its negative aspects.
Hm. I would say that's entirely dependent on the individual. It has its pitfalls, sure, but plenty manage to avoid them.

You know your own beliefs better than I do, so I won't speak to those... but I'm not just talking about faith in general; I'm talking about this idea of reliance on a higher power.

If a person believes that their god is watching and protecting humanity, then I agree this could lead to the positive effect you mentioned - it does give people hope: "I can rely on God, so I know I'll be able to get through this difficult time." However, negative things flow just as easily from it: "I can rely on God, so it's just as good for me to pray against this injustice as it is for me to fight it myself."
OK. Well, it's hard to explain to an atheist, but I'll try. Personally, I don't believe that it's God lending you strength, but I can sympathize with that point of view. That's what it feels like. Anyway, while just believing it can lead to complacence, feeling it is another matter. It's like a rush of energy, accompanied by the certainty you can do anything you set out to do. It's about as far from complacence as you can get.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Not necessarily. Understanding the physical mechanisms would suffice. I may be picking nits, but I think the distinction is important.
I'm not sure what the distinction is that you're drawing.

With respect, Penguin, having had one of those peak experiences, I disagree. The experience itself conveys the significance.
And you don't think that people who have such an appearance would think of it differently if they were to see it as the result of, say, a hypodermic injection or the application of a magnetic field to some region of the brain instead of a result of the "hand of God"?

Let me be clear: I'm absolutely not saying that it would do away with theological differences overnight, nor that everyone would agree that God exists. I do think, however, it would allow everyone who cares about the subject to gain common ground. (Which might well be a crucial step towards religion living up to its peacemaking potential.) Also, it would allow everyone interested an equal starting point from which to draw their own conclusions. How that would change the face of faith, I have no idea.
Ah. I think I get it.

Are you saying that you think research will demonstrate that your experience were the result of actual contact with God? If so, I'd have to say that I don't share this assumption. I think that it's much more likely that we'd find a physical cause.

Agreed. However, allow me to clarify: I mean primal rituals shared by the community. Rituals for birth, for death and grief, for the myriad momentous tranasitions of life. Again, I'm not saying that they need to be religious in nature, but I do think they require communal reverence.
In a community with many religions, there are few if any "primary rituals shared by the community".

Just look at the teachings. Not the traditions, but the core tenets. Take the teachings of Christ. He urged His followers to love even their enemies, cultivate humility (the good kind), and care for one another. If the majority of Christians would at least TRY to live by that philosophy, the world would be a much better place.
Jesus also spent quite a bit of his time in the Gospels rejecting "scribes and Pharisees" and telling his followers that he came to cause unrest and "set children against parents".

Perhaps, but I rather suspect we need to define our terms.

To me, "tribalism" is a universally negative trait. It's not about the health of one's own community, but its dominance over the communities of others. What does it mean to you.
IMO, "tribalism" implies the valuation of group coherence and loyalty to the group as virtues in and of themselves. I don't think that tribalism necessarily implies dominance, but I do think it implies separateness. For instance, I'd consider Amish communities to be strongly tribalistic, but they're not trying to dominate anyone.

Eh, I can see where you're coming from (if I squint ;)), but I disagree. It's not denying that modern Christians are Christians, it's saying they're not putting their tenets into practice. A valid criticism that I believe I've heard you make before.
I do think it is denying that modern Christians (all Christians, actually, unless this comes out of the original context of the quote) are Christians. If someone has left Christianity "untried", then this implies they don't follow Christianity, doesn't it?

I don't know what to say to that. I honestly can't understand how you could give them even cursory study and not see the messages of peace. :confused:
It's not that I don't see the messages of peace in religion; it's that I see the other messages that interfere with the idea of actual peace.

No, it doesn't. I'm saying that such attitudes are counter-productive interpretations that need to be abandoned.
And how would you propose to abandon those ideas without abandoning the religions that they form core tenets of?

OK. Well, it's hard to explain to an atheist, but I'll try. Personally, I don't believe that it's God lending you strength, but I can sympathize with that point of view. That's what it feels like. Anyway, while just believing it can lead to complacence, feeling it is another matter. It's like a rush of energy, accompanied by the certainty you can do anything you set out to do. It's about as far from complacence as you can get.
Then I think we're talking about different things.

What immediately came to mind was the memory of how my religious family members have coped with the deaths of loved ones, or how they've comforted others in that situation: IMO, by deriving some measure of hope in the face of futility by trusting in "God's plan", "God's wisdom", or some more nebulous notion that things will all work out for the best. The danger I see in that approach is that, like I said, it can create complacency in the face of situations that are merely difficult, not futile.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
I'm not sure what the distinction is that you're drawing.
Knowing how it happens (the mechanism) is not the same as knowing why it happens naturally, which is where the question of God comes in. Maybe we're acheiving communion with a divine being, and maybe that being is a neurological phantom. I don't see science answering that question in the near future. I DO see them figuring out the physical reality and learning to induce it.

And you don't think that people who have such an appearance would think of it differently if they were to see it as the result of, say, a hypodermic injection or the application of a magnetic field to some region of the brain instead of a result of the "hand of God"?
No doubt some will. However, I think the nature of the experiences themselves will sway others in the opposite direction.

Are you saying that you think research will demonstrate that your experience were the result of actual contact with God? If so, I'd have to say that I don't share this assumption. I think that it's much more likely that we'd find a physical cause.
No, not at ALL! I'm saying I think it will overcome the hurdle of incommunicability (if that's even a word, lol).

The ineffable nature of these experiences is, imo, HUGELY detrimental to both sides of the argument. The vast majority of the faithful have to rely on countless generations of interpretation of vague poetry, and the irreligious are so far removed from mysticism that they mistake it for delusion.

I'm hopeful that such a technological breakthrough will spark new theologies, assist established religions in finding common ground, and let even the unbelievers understand WHY people like myself believe as we do. Finding a physical mechanism (as previously distinguished from cause) is essential to that.

In a community with many religions, there are few if any "primary rituals shared by the community".
You have a point, and yet, that depends on how one defines "community." It doesn't have to be the whole world, it can just be a nuclear family. ETA Depends on the ritual in question.

IMO, "tribalism" implies the valuation of group coherence and loyalty to the group as virtues in and of themselves. I don't think that tribalism necessarily implies dominance, but I do think it implies separateness. For instance, I'd consider Amish communities to be strongly tribalistic, but they're not trying to dominate anyone.
As I thought, very different definitions. Now that we've made ourselves clear, do you still object to my point?

I do think it is denying that modern Christians (all Christians, actually, unless this comes out of the original context of the quote) are Christians. If someone has left Christianity "untried", then this implies they don't follow Christianity, doesn't it?
Yes and no, but it's rather tangential and I think these posts are long enough. :)

It's not that I don't see the messages of peace in religion; it's that I see the other messages that interfere with the idea of actual peace.
Fair enough.

And how would you propose to abandon those ideas without abandoning the religions that they form core tenets of?
By transforming them.

Last edited: