• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Return of Christ

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
4. In order for them to come to your conclusion, they would have to ignore large parts of scriptures that say otherwise.

the hebrew scriptures you used have initial fulfillments on the nation of Isreal... Yes they did restore the kingdom of God to the thone in Jerusalem, yes a king did sit on Gods thone on Mount Zion.

That all had a literal fulfillment. But none of those kings were the promised Messiah...and none of those earthly kings were ever taken to heaven to sit at Gods right hand.

For example, Daniels prophecy about the Messiah was never fulfilled by any of the earthly kings of Isreal, why? because none of them entered the 'heavenly' kingdom.

Dan 7:13 “I kept watching in the visions of the night, and look! with the clouds of the heavens, someone like a son of man was coming; and he gained access to the Ancient of Days, and they brought him up close before that One. 14 And to him there were given rulership, honor, and a kingdom, that the peoples, nations, and language groups should all serve him. His rulership is an everlasting rulership that will not pass away, and his kingdom will not be destroyed.

Daniels prophecy shows that the Christ would enter 'heaven'... he would rule from heaven over all the nations.

Thats what the apostles believed too:
Hebrews 1:3 '...And after he had made a purification for our sins, he sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high.

Acts 2:32, 33 God resurrected this Jesus, and of this we are all witnesses. 33 Therefore, because he was exalted to the right hand of God and received the promised holy spirit from the Father, he has poured out what you see and hear.

Acts 7:55 But he, being full of holy spirit, gazed into heaven and caught sight of God’s glory and of Jesus standing at God’s right hand,

If you consider Daniels prophecy in light of the Apostles teachings, you can easily see how Christ will rule mankind from heaven...from the throne of God in heaven.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Does anyone else sense the nearness of His return?

I do. The world is overpopulated and our comfortable life depends on elevate use of electricity. But electricity is obtained through crude oil mainly, so when crude oil runs out, there will be a catastrophe.
We are supposed to prevent the worst. By reducing the world population, before oil is completely exhausted.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
I do. The world is overpopulated and our comfortable life depends on elevate use of electricity. But electricity is obtained through crude oil mainly, so when crude oil runs out, there will be a catastrophe.
We are supposed to prevent the worst. By reducing the world population, before oil is completely exhausted.

there are far worse problems in the world then oil and overpopulation :confused:

they are the least of our woes.

AlphaAlex115

Christ won't ever return.. "and thy lord jesus christ or any of his reincarnations will never ever walk this world again"

james2ko

The hebrew scriptures you used have initial fulfillments on the nation of Isreal... Yes they did restore the kingdom of God to the thone in Jerusalem, yes a king did sit on Gods thone on Mount Zion.

1. It does not imply just any king sat on the throne. It specifically refers to Christ- The Lord- who has yet to sit on any earthly throne. And the kingdom of God was not restored--when has the lamb dwelled with a lion without the lion having it for dinner? When did the lion become a vegetarian? (Isa 11:6-7)

That all had a literal fulfillment. But none of those kings were the promised Messiah...and none of those earthly kings were ever taken to heaven to sit at Gods right hand.

2. Kings? The text in those passages refer to one [singular] king.

For example, Daniels prophecy about the Messiah was never fulfilled by any of the earthly kings of Isreal, why? because none of them entered the 'heavenly' kingdom.

Dan 7:13 “I kept watching in the visions of the night, and look! with the clouds of the heavens, someone like a son of man was coming; and he gained access to the Ancient of Days, and they brought him up close before that One. 14 And to him there were given rulership, honor, and a kingdom, that the peoples, nations, and language groups should all serve him. His rulership is an everlasting rulership that will not pass away, and his kingdom will not be destroyed.

Daniels prophecy shows that the Christ would enter 'heaven'... he would rule from heaven over all the nations.

3. This is a difficult verse that must be read in context with other passages I've already posted. I believe Daniel saw a vision of Christ going into heaven to be with the Father. This occurred right after He disappeared from the disciples sight (Act 1:11). In vs 14, the verb phrase "was given" clues us in on the timing of the verse's events. It is in the perfect tense. According to the Glossary of Morpho-Syntactic Database Terminology, the perfect tense:

"...views the action of the verb from an outer perspective, the perspective of seeing or thinking of the action of the verb as a whole and complete, without respect to the time of the action. The perfect conjugation conveys the totality of an action without dividing up its chronological processes..​

In other words, this passage in no way implies Christ was given the kingdom and currently ruling the nations from heaven. This makes sense in light of the fact many other verses state He will in the future!

Thats what the apostles believed too:

Hebrews 1:3 '...And after he had made a purification for our sins, he sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high.

Acts 2:32, 33 God resurrected this Jesus, and of this we are all witnesses. 33 Therefore, because he was exalted to the right hand of God and received the promised holy spirit from the Father, he has poured out what you see and hear.

Acts 7:55 But he, being full of holy spirit, gazed into heaven and caught sight of God’s glory and of Jesus standing at God’s right hand,

If you consider Daniels prophecy in light of the Apostles teachings, you can easily see how Christ will rule mankind from heaven...from the throne of God in heaven.

4. Compare those passages to these:

Isa_24:23 Then the moon will be disgraced And the sun ashamed; For the LORD of hosts will reign On Mount Zion and in Jerusalem And before His elders, gloriously.

Zec_8:3 "Thus says the LORD: 'I will return to Zion, And dwell in the midst of Jerusalem. Jerusalem shall be called the City of Truth, The Mountain of the LORD of hosts, The Holy Mountain.'

Zec_14:9 And the LORD shall be King over all the earth. In that day it shall be "The LORD is one," And His name one.​

The main verbs in your passages are in the present tense, from the authors perspective, and do not say or imply anything about Christ currently reigning from heaven. It simply states that is where He is currently. My passages in this post, and others, specifically and directly state He will [future] descend from His current place (heaven) and come to live in and rule from Jerusalem. The evidence against the WT's doctrine is just too overwhelming, Pegg.

Last edited:

Call_of_the_Wild

1. It is most definitely a translation. It may have been an unnecessary rendering, but as the broader context suggests, certainly not unjustified.

But the translation is based on a presupposition. You can't justify the translation based on grammatics alone. You would only render it that way if you thought it should be there based on your take on the Deity of Christ (or lack thereof).

3. It is not there because the translators of that version were thinking like you: "Obviously, He Himself wouldn't be included in those "things" that were created" so we will not place another redundant adjective.

Then not only is it a unjustified rendering, but it is a inconsistent rendering. If the translators were thinking like me as you suggest, then they wouldn't even have rendered the Col 1:15 verse that way. John 1:3 and Col 1:15-18 are basically saying the same thing, but only one of them are rendered as such [other].

4. Not quite CW. Firstly, the Greek term for firstborn [prototokos] is derived from two Greek words. "Protos" [g4413] which means " foremost (in time, place, order or importance): - before, beginning, best, chief (-est), first (of all)". Interestingly enough, this is the root of our English word "prototype". The second term, "tikto", is defined as: to produce (from seed, as a mother, a plant, the earth, etc.), literal or figurative: - bear, be born, bring forth, be delivered, be in travail. If Paul wanted to engender "preeminence" without the connotation of a birth/creation, he would have used the term he used in Col 1:18 [proteuon]. Instead he uses a term that is used throughout scripture to signify the first of its kind produced/created!

But according to my research, if "first created" would have been the implication, then "proto" would be used with "ktizo".

Watchman Fellowship, Inc. - Jesus: First-Born or First-Created?

As the above article indicates, there is no justification of "other" being implemented in the verses, unless you have a theological agenda you are trying to push.

I rarely post links because we can all post links that seem to agree with our position...however, since you seem to be invovled in linguistics, it is for you.

5. Paul did mention Christ was the first created Being in Col 1:15:
He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn [prototokos] over all creation.
All about interpretation.

6. I agree. Even without adding the term "other", common sense tells us Christ did not create Himself. I'm not saying the NWT has the best rendering of that verse, all I'm saying is the added adjective is justified.

It is justified based on what? The Watchtower is known for their biblical "chopped and screwed" interpretations. Many words are added, taken out, or changed around to fit their theological agenda, and these verses in question is one of the many.

And not only that, but Witnesses at one point used to believe in the Trinity, and that is my point..if you believe in it, you leave the bible alone. If you don't believe in it, you must make the bible match your theology, which is exactly what they do. When you have to go through such great lengths to get the bible to match your theology, then you are becoming a sect.

I remember one of the ESV translators telling us that due to the complexities of translation, a translator "must" add words in order to clarify and make sense of the translated term/phrase. Sometimes they get it right, sometimes they do not. In this case, the NWT got it right. Although, the added term [other] is redundant.

Again, interpretation. Trinitarians don't believe that they got it right, in fact, we believe the opposite.

7. Unfortunately, it sounds like you suffer from "Doctrinitis". A debilitating disease that affects the victims spiritual eyes to the point where they cannot see anything else.:D

Well, I could go with John 1:1 which states that Jesus is God...and unless you have a WatchTower mentality where you want to add the definite article "a" in the mix of things, then John, author of the Gospel, also has "Doctrinitis", because if we are talking about the Deity of Christ, then that verse is about as self explanatory as you will find.

8. You don't have to be in order to understand the original languages. The problem is most Christians do not take the time to study them diligently enough to seek out the truth. I wrote a lengthy study on the topic (my rebuttal to the Christian courier was an excerpt) scouring over every single verse on the topic in its original languages, took me almost a yr to complete and have come to the conclusion the scriptures teach Christ was a created being.

Scripture has to interpret scripture. If I am reading John 1:1, then Jesus is God, so the question of him being created is not even worthy of a conceptual thought. So based on that scripture alone, I am right in not believing the hype surrounding WatchTower theology and correctly interpreting Col 1:15 as "preeminence".

9. Sounds like to me you want to spread your "doctrinitis". No thanks. I want to stay as spiritually healthy as I can :)

So basically, anything that doesn't involve linguistics, you don't want to be bothered with. I said that my argument is indepedent of lingustics/translations, and you don't want to be bothered with it.

I understand...stick to your strengths :yes:

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
The 85 % of the world problems are caused by overpopulation

there are some people who tell us the world is overpopulated when in fact its not.

What is overpopulated are the cities where everyone is crammed into. The world is a very big place and most of it is uninhabited. If you want to get rid of something, get rid of the idea that we must all live in the cities... its unnatural anyway.

What needs to happen is people need to start living in the areas where there is no one.

james2ko

But the translation is based on a presupposition. You can't justify the translation based on grammatics alone. You would only render it that way if you thought it should be there based on your take on the Deity of Christ (or lack thereof).

1. That's correct. If you read my quote in your reply, I said context must also be taken into consideration.

Then not only is it a unjustified rendering, but it is a inconsistent rendering. If the translators were thinking like me as you suggest, then they wouldn't even have rendered the Col 1:15 verse that way. John 1:3 and Col 1:15-18 are basically saying the same thing, but only one of them are rendered as such [other].

2. The fact that it's inconsistent does not make it inaccurate. That would be an obvious case of a Tu quoque fallacy.

then "proto" would be used with "ktizo".

3. The term (protokistos) is never used anywhere in Scripture and is not found in any ancient literature until centuries later in the Stromata by Clement about 200 AD when he used both words interchangeably. There was an alternate term in existence Paul could have used--"prototokia", which is used in the Bible to indicate the "right of the firstborn" without the connotation of being firstborn, since the rights were transferable to other children. (See LXX-Deu.21:15-17; 1Chron 5:1,3; Gen.25:13,31; 27:19,32,36; 43:33; Heb. 12:16; Heb. 11:28). But Paul instead used "prototokos". Which makes sense as Christ could not be literally called “Firstborn [prototokos] from the dead” had He not been the first human church member to die and be raised to immortality, so also could He not be called “The Firstborn [prototokos] of all creation” had He not been the first created being!

But according to my research, if "first created" would have been the implication, Watchman Fellowship, Inc. - Jesus: First-Born or First-Created? As the above article indicates, there is no justification of "other" being implemented in the verses, unless you have a theological agenda you are trying to push. I rarely post links because we can all post links that seem to agree with our position...however, since you seem to be involved in linguistics, it is for you.

4. Unfortunately, your research wasn't as thorough as it should have been. If it were, you would have known about the usage of proto and ktizo and you certainly would not be pawning me off to someone else's "research". I will address the link's responses if and when I get some time.

All about interpretation. Trinitarians don't believe that they got it right, in fact, we believe the opposite.

5. And the evidence suggests Paul's failure to alternatively use the term proto kitzo is a very bad one.

Scripture has to interpret scripture. If I am reading John 1:1, then Jesus is God, so the question of him being created is not even worthy of a conceptual thought. So based on that scripture alone, I am right in not believing the hype surrounding WatchTower theology and correctly interpreting Col 1:15 as "preeminence".

6. Another example of poor exegesis by the Trinitarians and others:

Col 1:15 He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn [prototokos] over all creation.
Col 1:16 For by Him all things were created that are in heaven and that are on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or principalities or powers. All things were created through Him and for Him.
Col 1:17 And He is before all things, and in Him all things consist.
Col 1:18 And He is the head of the body, the church, who is the beginning, the firstborn [prototokos] from the dead, that in all things He may have the preeminence.​

Paul was emphasizing Christ's deity to the Colossians due to their heavy involvement in angel worship. Michael was their chief angel of worship, and the protecting saint of the city. Their allegiance was based on a tradition he appeared to the people saving the city from a flood. In vs 15 and succeeding verses, Paul attempts to focus the congregants attention to the worship of Christ by expressing how Christ, the Father's firstborn, was created in the Father's image, before anything else, including Michael. He then goes on to state in vs 18 as a consequence of Christ's sacrifice and being the first [prototokos] human member of the church (body) to be resurrected to immortality, He gained pre-eminence. In verse 15, Paul logically begins with Christ's origin. The next several verses explain what He did and the consequence of His actions!

It is justified based on what?

7. The broader context, good exegesis, and as you said yourself-common sense.

The Watchtower is known for their biblical "chopped and screwed" interpretations. Many words are added, taken out, or changed around to fit their theological agenda, and these verses in question is one of the many. And not only that, but Witnesses at one point used to believe in the Trinity, and that is my point..if you believe in it, you leave the bible alone. If you don't believe in it, you must make the bible match your theology, which is exactly what they do. When you have to go through such great lengths to get the bible to match your theology, then you are becoming a sect.

8. As Christians we are suppose to grow in grace and "knowledge" (2 Pet 3:18). If we are not periodically altering our beliefs, we are not growing in "knowledge".

Again, interpretation.

9. Here is an example of a good one:

Isa 43:10-11"You are My witnesses," says the LORD, "And My servant [Jacob] whom I have chosen, That you may know and believe Me, And understand that I am He. Before Me there was no God [EL] formed, Nor shall there be after Me.11 I, even I, am the LORD, And besides Me there is no savior.​

The verb "formed"[H3335], in vs 10, is in what grammarians call the third person, nifal stem, perfect tense. The third person simply means the subject (Christ) is referring to someone other than Himself as the producer of the action (created). The nifal stem gives the verb a nuance of something being created. It also gives the verb a passive form making the subject (Christ) the recipient of the action. The perfect tense implies a completed past action. What does this all mean? The subject (EL/Christ) is telling us someone other than Himself (third person-The Father) has (perfect tense--completed action) created (nifal stem) no other "God" like Him (Christ) nor shall He (The Father) create One like Him (Christ) in the future! In other words, Christ was created/formed as one of a kind! That Christ was created is confirmed by Paul and John (Col 1:15; Rev 3:14)!

Well, I could go with John 1:1 which states that Jesus is God.[/b][/u].

10. According to which version? The modern "popular" versions exclude the article, while some of the more ancient and "less popular" versions include or imply it:

1864: “and a god was the word.” The Emphatic Diaglott, interlinear reading, by Benjamin Wilson.

1928: “and the Word was a divine being.” La Bible du Centenaire, L’Evangile selon Jean, by Maurice Goguel.

1935: “and the Word was divine.” The Bible—An American Translation, by J. M. P. Smith and E. J. Goodspeed.

1946: “and of a divine kind was the Word.” Das Neue Testament, by Ludwig Thimme.

1958: “and the Word was a God.” The New Testament, by James L. Tomanek.

1975: “and a god (or, of a divine kind) was the Word.” Das Evangelium nach Johannes, by Siegfried Schulz.

1978: “and godlike kind was the Logos.” Das Evangelium nach Johannes, by Johannes Schneider.
.and unless you have a WatchTower mentality where you want to add the definite article "a" in the mix of things, then John, author of the Gospel, also has "Doctrinitis", because if we are talking about the Deity of Christ, then that verse is about as self explanatory as you will find

11. I don't have a Watchtower mentality, as I disagree with many of their doctrines. I would say I have a biblical mentality.

So basically, anything that doesn't involve linguistics, you don't want to be bothered with. I said that my argument is indepedent of lingustics/translations, and you don't want to be bothered with it. I understand...stick to your strengths

12. My strength is a passion for solid exegesis and extracting truth--not arguing about it.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
there are some people who tell us the world is overpopulated when in fact its not.

What is overpopulated are the cities where everyone is crammed into. The world is a very big place and most of it is uninhabited. If you want to get rid of something, get rid of the idea that we must all live in the cities... its unnatural anyway.

What needs to happen is people need to start living in the areas where there is no one.

Living in the countryside forces people to travel a lot. Because most resources are available in towns. And towns are the places where most people work. Unless they become all farmers, ---but given that nowadays agriculture is highly mechanized, there is no need of farmers any more.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
Living in the countryside forces people to travel a lot. Because most resources are available in towns. And towns are the places where most people work. Unless they become all farmers, ---but given that nowadays agriculture is highly mechanized, there is no need of farmers any more.

yes, man has done very well in stuffing up the way we live on this planet.

Muffled

Jesus in me
the issue here is what does 'in the same way' mean?

We can use any subject (love/hate/honor/respect/admire etc) we like, but what does 'in the same way' signify... does it mean that the two people are the same individual?

Thats what is being proposed by 'Call of the Wild'. He thinks that because Jesus said we must honor the son 'in the same way' as we honor the father, its proof that Jesus and the Father are the same individual.

I believe in this case it does because the honor due God is distinct from any other honor and Jesus is due the same honor so He must be God.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Neither "just as, or "even as," mean Jesus is God, - as is made plain in the surrounding text.

Joh 5:19 Then answered Jesus and said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, The Son can do nothing of himself, but what he seeth the Father do: for what things soever he doeth, these also doeth the Son likewise.

Joh 5:20 For the Father loveth the Son, and sheweth him all things that himself doeth: and he will shew him greater works than these, that ye may marvel.

Joh 5:21 For as the Father raiseth up the dead, and quickeneth them; even so the Son quickeneth whom he will.

Joh 5:22 For the Father judgeth no man, but hath committed all judgment unto the Son:

Joh 5:23 That all men should honour the Son, even as they honour the Father. He that honoureth not the Son honoureth not the Father which hath sent him.

Joh 5:24 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.

Joh 5:25 Verily, verily, I say unto you, The hour is coming, and now is, when the dead shall hear the voice of the Son of God: and they that hear shall live.

Joh 5:26 For as the Father hath life in himself; so hath he given to the Son to have life in himself;

Joh 5:27 And hath given him authority to execute judgment also, because he is the Son of man.

I believe all of the surrounding text corroborates the concept of Jesus "even" as God.

Muffled

Jesus in me
The first coming of Jesus was from above. The second coming of Jesus will be human beings from below entering the kingdom of God.

Jesus Christ by coming above made a high way to way. People need to use it and enter the kingdom. There is no need for the second coming of Jesus.

I believe humans entering into the kingdom was associated with His leaving.

The second coming is necessary to receive the new body that has eteranl life.

Call_of_the_Wild

1. That's correct. If you read my quote in your reply, I said context must also be taken into consideration.

Context? What? First off, regardless of how you look at it, it is still adding words to the bible. The scripture would have read just find without the rendering. The fact that you have to add a word in to the bible to fit your organization's given theology speaks for itself.

If every denomination or Christian sect did this then which bible can we trust as divinely inspired truth?

Just let the bible speak for itself. Is that such a bad idea?

2. The fact that it's inconsistent does not make it inaccurate. That would be an obvious case of a Tu quoque fallacy.

No it isn't a fallacy, because I am not saying "because the rendering is inconsistent, therefore, it is inaccurate"...I am saying that the rendering is "inaccurate IN ADDITION TO being unjustified", which is one more problem on top of the one that we've been discussing.

So much for your "Aha!! Got'cha" moment.

3. The term (protokistos) is never used anywhere in Scripture and is not found in any ancient literature until centuries later in the Stromata by Clement about 200 AD when he used both words interchangeably. There was an alternate term in existence Paul could have used--"prototokia", which is used in the Bible to indicate the "right of the firstborn" without the connotation of being firstborn, since the rights were transferable to other children. (See LXX-Deu.21:15-17; 1Chron 5:1,3; Gen.25:13,31; 27:19,32,36; 43:33; Heb. 12:16; Heb. 11:28). But Paul instead used "prototokos". Which makes sense as Christ could not be literally called “Firstborn [prototokos] from the dead” had He not been the first human church member to die and be raised to immortality, so also could He not be called “The Firstborn [prototokos] of all creation” had He not been the first created being!

4. Unfortunately, your research wasn't as thorough as it should have been. If it were, you would have known about the usage of proto and ktizo and you certainly would not be pawning me off to someone else's "research". I will address the link's responses if and when I get some time.

Regardless, if Paul wanted to the word [other] to be in the context, he would have put it there. As far as I'm concerned, the NWT is the only translation of the bible that does this, and they've done this throughout their translation so that their bible is modified almost perfectly to fit their theology.

It is based on that, plus the countless other Trinity-proof verses, plus my "Argument from perfect morality" that I can conclude that Jesus is undoubtly God.

6. Another example of poor exegesis by the Trinitarians and others:
Col 1:15 He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn [prototokos] over all creation.
Col 1:16 For by Him all things were created that are in heaven and that are on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or principalities or powers. All things were created through Him and for Him.
Col 1:17 And He is before all things, and in Him all things consist.
Col 1:18 And He is the head of the body, the church, who is the beginning, the firstborn [prototokos] from the dead, that in all things He may have the preeminence.
Paul was emphasizing Christ's deity to the Colossians due to their heavy involvement in angel worship. Michael was their chief angel of worship, and the protecting saint of the city. Their allegiance was based on a tradition he appeared to the people saving the city from a flood. In vs 15 and succeeding verses, Paul attempts to focus the congregants attention to the worship of Christ by expressing how Christ, the Father's firstborn, was created in the Father's image, before anything else, including Michael. He then goes on to state in vs 18 as a consequence of Christ's sacrifice and being the first [prototokos] human member of the church (body) to be resurrected to immortality, He gained pre-eminence. In verse 15, Paul logically begins with Christ's origin. The next several verses explain what He did and the consequence of His actions!

See above post.

8. As Christians we are suppose to grow in grace and "knowledge" (2 Pet 3:18). If we are not periodically altering our beliefs, we are not growing in "knowledge".

The Watch Tower are the ones altering their beliefs...countless doctrine changes over the past 100 years or so.

9. Here is an example of a good one:
Isa 43:10-11"You are My witnesses," says the LORD, "And My servant [Jacob] whom I have chosen, That you may know and believe Me, And understand that I am He. Before Me there was no God [EL] formed, Nor shall there be after Me.11 I, even I, am the LORD, And besides Me there is no savior.
Yet, Jesus is our Savior....Eph 5:23.

10. According to which version? The modern "popular" versions exclude the article, while some of the more ancient and "less popular" versions include or imply it:
1864: “and a god was the word.” The Emphatic Diaglott, interlinear reading, by Benjamin Wilson.

1928: “and the Word was a divine being.” La Bible du Centenaire, L’Evangile selon Jean, by Maurice Goguel.

1935: “and the Word was divine.” The Bible—An American Translation, by J. M. P. Smith and E. J. Goodspeed.

1946: “and of a divine kind was the Word.” Das Neue Testament, by Ludwig Thimme.

1958: “and the Word was a God.” The New Testament, by James L. Tomanek.

1975: “and a god (or, of a divine kind) was the Word.” Das Evangelium nach Johannes, by Siegfried Schulz.

1978: “and godlike kind was the Logos.” Das Evangelium nach Johannes, by Johannes Schneider.

So it goes right back to translation and who has the best ancient greek translators.

11. I don't have a Watchtower mentality, as I disagree with many of their doctrines. I would say I have a biblical mentality.

We all would like to think that, wouldn't we?

12. My strength is a passion for solid exegesis and extracting truth--not arguing about it.

My strength is a passion for defending the Christian world view against atheists, agnostics, critics, skeptics, unbelievers, and those that teach false biblical doctrine.

ForHisGlory

In Matthew chapter 24, the greek word used is not 'coming' but 'presence'

"What will be the sign of your 'parousia' "

The scripture uses the greek word for 'presence'. So the answer to the disciples question should be understood to mean that when they see the signs occuring, it would signify that Jesus was already 'present' in kingdom power.

The time has already come and Jesus is already judging.

I don't mean to change the subject, but if, according to you, Jesus has already returned, what was the point of Him going to the cross, being buried and rising again? He did that for a reason.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
I don't mean to change the subject, but if, according to you, Jesus has already returned, what was the point of Him going to the cross, being buried and rising again? He did that for a reason.

what do you think the reason was?

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
He died so that a way could be made that we can go to heaven.

Romans 6:23 For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Why would God need or want us to go to heaven? He created man to live on earth... that in itself should tell us that he wants us to live here on earth and the bible backs this up:

Ps 115:16 As for the heavens, they belong to Jehovah,
But the earth he has given to the sons of men.

The bible also tells us that mankind will live on earth forever:
Psalm 37:29 The righteous will possess the earth, And they will live forever on it.

And Jesus taught that the meek will inherit the earth/land
Matt 5:5 “Happy are the mild-tempered, since they will inherit the earth.

Earth is a wonderful place... we are made for it and the bible says we will always be here.