• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Richard Dawkins says he is a Cultural Christian

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
So God picks and chooses who believes?
I found this true in my case. "You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart." Jeremiah 29:13. It took me a while but finally I humbled myself and prayed to find God. And He allowed me to do so. It was not an easy transference, but I am sure sure sure that God helped me to find Him. I don't think He "picked" me. I think He helped me to find Him when I asked in humility.

YoursTrue

Western Atheism (and the likes) people are in a way a denomination and or a bye-product of the Deviant Pauline Christianity as Saul/Paul made the religion of (Jesus)Yeshua- the Israelite Messiah, a mythical Christ of Hellenism which generated Western Atheism as they denied the mythical (dying, rising, atoning, and ascending deity) Christ of Hellenism, right , please?
The truthful Israelites can never even think of following such a religion denying truthfulness of G-d's covenants with Abraham, I understand, please, right?
Richard Dawkins therefore declaring himself as Cultural Christian, one must say, is not a reasonable person, he is the flip side of the same coin (Christianity), one gets to know ,please, right?

It is therefore a point to note that all Paulines are only a Cultural Christian people, on the one side, and or on the flip side, they are Western Atheists people, both of them have got nothing to do with (Jesus) Yeshua-the truthful Israelite Messiah, right, please?

Regards
What do you think of what Jesus taught his disciples to pray for? What do you believe is God's kingdom? You know that prayer so many people say I don't think they know what it means but they pray it anyway. "Our Father in heaven, hallowed be thy name. Let thy kingdom come." What do you think that means about the kingdom? Did you ever think about it? "Let thy kingdom come..."

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
Western Atheism (and the likes) people are in a way a denomination and or a bye-product of the Deviant Pauline Christianity as Saul/Paul made the religion
This wins the badge for the silliest thing I've read today. Absolutely NOTHING about Paul's teaching encourages atheism. And you have been told this before, yet you persist in this nonsense.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
This wins the badge for the silliest thing I've read today. Absolutely NOTHING about Paul's teaching encourages atheism. And you have been told this before, yet you persist in this nonsense.
So, what about the myriads of people that lived prior to the formation of what we call "Judaism" and "Christianity", namely 3000+ years b.p.?

firedragon

Veteran Member
I found this report on Dawkins, one of the world's most famous and antagonistic atheists, claiming to be a cultural Christian to be absolutely fascinating. I hope it will open up a discussion about what a cultural Christian is as opposed to a true believer, and why (perhaps) such a person would identify with Christianity as opposed to, say, Islam. Here are various quotes from two of many articles on it.

Atheist Richard Dawkins said of Christianity: “It seems to me to be a fundamentally decent religion, in a way that I think Islam is not.”....

After expressing his satisfaction at what he perceives as a decline in the number of Christians, the famous atheist noted that he “would not be happy if, for example, we lost all our cathedrals and our beautiful parish churches. So I call myself a cultural Christian and I think it would be truly dreadful if we substituted any alternative religion.”

“You know I love hymns and Christmas Carols. I feel at home in the Christian ethos. I feel that we are a Christian country in that sense”....

Dawkins’ version of atheism seems to have changed tack, and in a positive way, or at least in this interview. He has left behind the stinging attacks and is gently embracing the world that Christianity has provided....

...because secularism & Dawkins’ own brand of evangelical atheism are both expressions of a specifically Christian culture – as Dawkins himself, sitting on the branch he’s been sawing through and gazing nervously at the ground far below, seems to have begun to realise....

Richard Dawkins wants to keep the fruit of Christianity while rejecting the beliefs of Christianity....

Dawkins admits that the social good has an origins story and it is integrally tied to the Christian faith, although he is still unwilling to believe in the Divine. “There is a difference between being a believing Christian and a cultural Christian”.
So does Bart Ehrman. I don't know if he calls himself "a cultural Christian", but he speaks of the same gist.

firedragon

Veteran Member
Western Atheism (and the likes) people are in a way a denomination and or a bye-product of the Deviant Pauline Christianity as Saul/Paul made the religion of (Jesus)Yeshua- the Israelite Messiah, a mythical Christ of Hellenism which generated Western Atheism as they denied the mythical (dying, rising, atoning, and ascending deity) Christ of Hellenism, right , please?
What in the world are you talking about bro?

IndigoChild5559

So, what about the myriads of people that lived prior to the formation of what we call "Judaism" and "Christianity", namely 3000+ years b.p.?
This is new subject, but I'm happy to go with it.

Without going into a detailed post with quotes and citations, I'm simply going to sum up the conclusions I have come to after years of informal study. Of course, if you would like a more detailed explanation of any part of it, I'm happy to oblige.

I think that a religious orientation to life existed among our ancestors who were not modern humans. I think this based on evidence that chimps do religious things--it indicates that a religious orientation must have existed in the species we share who existed before the line split into chimps and humans.

I think the original religious view of modern humans was animism. It looks very obvious to me that this developed into polytheism, with or without statues. This progressed into monolatry: the idea that many gods exist, but THIS god is OUR god.

Although the first case of monotheism happened in Egypt, it was sort of a false start. The sort of monotheism that would take root and spread across the world happened when Judah was taken into captivity. Normally, if a people was conquered they would reason, "Obviously their god is more powerful than my god, so I'm now going to worship their god. " For reasons I can't discern, the Jews said something very different. "Our god is not just our god, but the God of the whole world." Thus, even in captivity, God still existed and was in charge. That was the watershed moment.

I think you already know me well enough to know that I don't think God judges us by our religious views, but by whether we love our neighbor as ourselves. IOW "Deeds, not creeds." :)

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
What do you think of what Jesus taught his disciples to pray for? What do you believe is God's kingdom? You know that prayer so many people say I don't think they know what it means but they pray it anyway. "Our Father in heaven, hallowed be thy name. Let thy kingdom come." What do you think that means about the kingdom? Did you ever think about it? "Let thy kingdom come..."
" Jesus taught his disciples to pray for " him to save his life:

Jesus Prays in Gethsemane

"36 Then Jesus went with them to a place called Gethsemane, and he said to his disciples, “Sit here, while I go over there and pray.” 37 And taking with him Peter and the two sons of Zebedee, he began to be sorrowful and troubled. 38 Then he said to them, “My soul is very sorrowful, even to death; remain here, and watch[a] with me.” 39 And going a little farther he fell on his face and prayed, saying, “My Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me; nevertheless, not as I will, but as you will.”

And G-d so willed that He accepted (Jesus)Yeshua's fervent supplicants/prayers and miraculously saved his cursed death on the Cross/Pole against all odds, right, please?

Regards

metis

I think the original religious view of modern humans was animism. It looks very obvious to me that this developed into polytheism, with or without statues. This progressed into monolatry: the idea that many gods exist, but THIS god is OUR god.

In my intro to anthro course, I used the examples of the Bushmen and the Mbuti as animism certainly isn't dead. These are based on oral traditions, which tend to be more flexible but are also variable as you say above.

Although the first case of monotheism happened in Egypt, it was sort of a false start. The sort of monotheism that would take root and spread across the world happened when Judah was taken into captivity.

I wouldn't call it "false start" but you're obviously right in that it didn't stick.

I think you already know me well enough to know that I don't think God judges us by our religious views, but by whether we love our neighbor as ourselves. IOW "Deeds, not creeds." :)

Amen, and I do believe we are much on the same page.

shalom

IndigoChild5559

In my intro to anthro course, I used the examples of the Bushmen and the Mbuti as animism certainly isn't dead. These are based on oral traditions, which tend to be more flexible but are also variable as you say above.
Oh I never said that animism no longer existed, so we are in agreement here. I only stated that it is the original religion for humans, that it predates polytheism and monotheism.
Amen, and I do believe we are much on the same page.
Yes, amen! I find that we almost always agree, and I think that's just so nice. :)

metis

Oh I never said that animism no longer existed, so we are in agreement here. I only stated that it is the original religion for humans, that it predates polytheism and monotheism.

Yes, amen! I find that we almost always agree, and I think that's just so nice. :)

Thanks, and a Shabbat shalom to you & yours.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member

"36 Then Jesus went with them to a place called Gethsemane, and he said to his disciples, “Sit here, while I go over there and pray.” 37 And taking with him Peter and the two sons of Zebedee, he began to be sorrowful and troubled. 38 Then he said to them, “My soul is very sorrowful, even to death; remain here, and watch[a] with me.” 39 And going a little farther he fell on his face and prayed, saying, “My Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me; nevertheless, not as I will, but as you will.”

And G-d so willed that He accepted (Jesus)Yeshua's fervent supplicants/prayers and miraculously and saved him from the accursed death on the Cross/Pole against all odds, right, please?:

40:52
Most surely We help Our Messengers and those who believe, both in the present life and on the day when the witnesses will stand forth
Right?

Regards
اِنَّا لَنَنۡصُرُ رُسُلَنَا وَالَّذِیۡنَ اٰمَنُوۡا فِی الۡحَیٰوۃِ الدُّنۡیَا وَیَوۡمَ یَقُوۡمُ الۡاَشۡہَادُ ﴿ۙ۵۲

YoursTrue

And G-d so willed that He accepted (Jesus)Yeshua's fervent supplicants/prayers and miraculously and saved him from the accursed death on the Cross/Pole against all odds, right, please?:

Most surely We help Our Messengers and those who believe, both in the present life and on the day when the witnesses will stand forth
Right?

Regards
اِنَّا لَنَنۡصُرُ رُسُلَنَا وَالَّذِیۡنَ اٰمَنُوۡا فِی الۡحَیٰوۃِ الدُّنۡیَا وَیَوۡمَ یَقُوۡمُ الۡاَشۡہَادُ ﴿ۙ۵۲
Jesus taught his disciples to pray for God's kingdom to come.