• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RPGs!!!!!!!!

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
Since we're on the subject of Final Fantasy, I will be so bold as to declare FF 7 the best Final Fantasy EVER
You must have missed the 1st Final Fantasy Ecumenical council where the FF7ian heresy was defined and repudiated by all true Final Fantasy fans... The gathered fans reaffirmed the truth of FF3 being the best ever.

My ultimate favorite is, of course, CHRONO TRIGGER-- it's an old game, but still the best :D
Chrono Trigger is one of the greatest... However I still think FF3 gives it a run for the money... Split descision... tie... both wonderful games...

- Tales of Phantasia (another oldie, but still amazing)
Another great! :D

No*s said:
Did any of yall play through several times just to try and find different endings? My favorite was when the crew had turned into reptites (I think that was the name of the lizard folk).
(Sorry about the ' * ' I can't remember what goes there)

I have played it a bunch... but I can't remember any of the endings :(

I ahven't played any recently(within the past year or so) developed RPG's that have been any good, so when I play I have been sticking to the oldies on my emulator, a few good later ones, and MMORPG's in which I always find a great social climate... So I was wondering if anyone could point one or two out for me :D

Cerrax

That One Guy
Mister_T said:
Since we're on the subject of Final Fantasy, I will be so bold as to declare FF 7 the best Final Fantasy EVER!

You silly man! FF7 is not as good as FF8! How could you forget about poor Squall?

Anyway, I personally stay away from Final Fantasy (If you've played one, you've played them all). These are my favorites:

Illusion of Gaia (Enix, 1992, Super Nintendo)
The Comet of Light threatens the world with its poisonous radiation. A boy named Will and his friends must face the dark force commanding the comet and realize their pasts and fates.

ZOE: Fist Of Mars (Konami, 2001, Gameboy Advance)
A young man named Cage accidentally activates an experimental robot when the spaceship he is on comes under attack. Cage must escape the military forces that are after the robot and discover what secrets the mechanical monster keeps.

Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest (Square, 1991, Super Nintendo)
A knight named Benjamin is enlisted by an old wise man to fulfill an ancient prophecy and save the Crystals of the Earth from the Dark King and his minions.

Fable (Lionhead Studios, 2004, XBox & PC)
A young man joins the Hero's Guild after his hometown is attacked by bandits. He discovers that a man called Jack of Blades knows of his departed mother and lost sister and sets out on a quest to unravel the mystery.

Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind (Bethesda Softworks, 2001, XBox & PC)
You are suddenly released from prison upon the order of the emperor. You must join the secret service known as the Blades and stop a sinster man, Dagoth Ur, from rising to power and taking over the land.

EarthBound (HAL Labratories, 1992, Super Nintendo)
A boy named Ness becomes entangled in a wacky quest to save the world when a bumble bee from the future warns him of an incoming alien invasion.

Final Fantasy VIII (Square, 1998, PlayStation)
A teenage loner named Squall attends the Balamb Garden military school. Shortly after his graduation, he becomes assigned to assasinate an evil sorceress, and gets pulled into a global conflict of good and evil.

Final Fantasy X (Square, 2000, PlayStation 2)
Tidus, a young sports star of the futuristic city Zanarkand, gets teleported to a foreign world when a mysterious monster called Sin attacks his hometown. Tidus joins a group who aim to defeat Sin and save the world from Sin's evil.

No*s

Captain Obvious
Mister Emu said:
(Sorry about the ' * ' I can't remember what goes there)

It's just a "*." I intended for it to be an "o" with a diaresis, but the machine didn't take, and I've grown to like the "*" :D.

Mister Emu said:
I have played it a bunch... but I can't remember any of the endings :(

I ahven't played any recently(within the past year or so) developed RPG's that have been any good, so when I play I have been sticking to the oldies on my emulator, a few good later ones, and MMORPG's in which I always find a great social climate... So I was wondering if anyone could point one or two out for me :D

I would reccomend Knights of the Old Republic (starting with #1) as a very good modern RPG (available on computer and X-box).

No*s

Captain Obvious
Cerrax said:
You silly man! FF7 is not as good as FF8! How could you forget about poor Squall?

Oh, that is heresy :D. FF7 vies with 5 & 6, but 8 will never be in their league :p

Mike182

Flaming Queer
Cerrax said:
i remember squall, and while i enjoyed the freakishly long legs, stupidly small yet camp leather jacket, and the good story line, i couldn't finish ultimicia
Anyway, I personally stay away from Final Fantasy (If you've played one, you've played them all). These are my favorites:
you...... must ........ feel...... PIAN!!!!
Illusion of Gaia (Enix, 1992, Super Nintendo)
The Comet of Light threatens the world with its poisonous radiation. A boy named Will and his friends must face the dark force commanding the comet and realize their pasts and fates.

ZOE: Fist Of Mars (Konami, 2001, Gameboy Advance)
A young man named Cage accidentally activates an experimental robot when the spaceship he is on comes under attack. Cage must escape the military forces that are after the robot and discover what secrets the mechanical monster keeps.

Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest (Square, 1991, Super Nintendo)
A knight named Benjamin is enlisted by an old wise man to fulfill an ancient prophecy and save the Crystals of the Earth from the Dark King and his minions.

Fable (Lionhead Studios, 2004, XBox & PC)
A young man joins the Hero's Guild after his hometown is attacked by bandits. He discovers that a man called Jack of Blades knows of his departed mother and lost sister and sets out on a quest to unravel the mystery.

Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind (Bethesda Softworks, 2001, XBox & PC)
You are suddenly released from prison upon the order of the emperor. You must join the secret service known as the Blades and stop a sinster man, Dagoth Ur, from rising to power and taking over the land.

EarthBound (HAL Labratories, 1992, Super Nintendo)
A boy named Ness becomes entangled in a wacky quest to save the world when a bumble bee from the future warns him of an incoming alien invasion.
never played these........
Final Fantasy VIII (Square, 1998, PlayStation)
A teenage loner named Squall attends the Balamb Garden military school. Shortly after his graduation, he becomes assigned to assasinate an evil sorceress, and gets pulled into a global conflict of good and evil.

Final Fantasy X (Square, 2000, PlayStation 2)
Tidus, a young sports star of the futuristic city Zanarkand, gets teleported to a foreign world when a mysterious monster called Sin attacks his hometown. Tidus joins a group who aim to defeat Sin and save the world from Sin's evil.
FFX was a good story, very good graphics, but it was lacking in challenge. its sequal
was frustratingly easy as well.

FFVII and IX were the best!

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
It's just a "*." I intended for it to be an "o" with a diaresis, but the machine didn't take, and I've grown to like the "*" :D.
Ok, :)

I would reccomend Knights of the Old Republic (starting with #1) as a very good modern RPG (available on computer and X-box).
I believe I said "year or so" :p Of course I picked up these two great games... I have beat them both multiple times...

I would really suggest Illusion of Gaia and Fable, FF:MQ is good as well...

FFVII and IX were the best!
Heathen blashpemer!

Mister_T

Forum Relic
Premium Member
FF6 (or 3 as it's known here in the states) was good, so were 8,9,and 10.....just not as good as 7.:jam:

Can't say that I've played Chrono Trigger all the way through. I've gotten to Lavos on my emulator. Haven't beatin him yet. Great game though.

New RPG's? Hmmm....World of Warcraft is pretty good. Haven't played FF11 but would like to one day.

What about strategy RPG's like FF Tactics (which also rox :jam: )
Or Action/Adventure RPG's like Super Metroid or Castlevainia: Symphony of the Night?
WHAT ABOUT THE LEGEND OF ZELDA?!

cardero

Citizen Mod
I'm curently playing FF VIII and PS1 Xenogears (a recommendation of FeathersInHair). On the Gameboy Advance I enjoy the Golden Sun series. I enjoy the RPG's at work. It really is the only game genre that agrees with my job where I do most of my gaming. I lke the solitaire experience that video game RPGs provide. I tried the table top versions but I have a difficult time finding friends to fill a party.

Bishka

Veteran Member
I like MMOPRGs(or however the acronymn goes), my favorite is a game called Guild Wars. My husband and I play it online together. Here is a good website to go to: http://guildwiki.org/wiki/Main_Page

It's a wikipedia, but not wikipedia. It's like the form of it, but all Guild Wars. I love that game!

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Judgement Day said:
Do you play online or offline? My guess is online, because it takes forever to get to level 83 playing offline. I usually used to play at the USEast realm. My highest level character was a hammerdine, level 93 if I recall correctly. All of my characters were above level 80. Besides a Hammerdine I had a Zealer, a Foher, a Bowazon, an Ice Sorceress, and lots of mules. It was really quite addicting until I quit playing 2 months ago.
At one point, I had 10 accounts on USEast and 12 accounts on USWest. I chuckled that the came should have been called Bovine Killing Inventory Accountants, as so much time got used sorting out the mules hoards. I have since closed out all my USEast accounts and play only Hardcore on USWest (Ladder and non-ladder).

I specialize in JavaZons, with Lightning Fury. My fave pally is currently a freezer, Holy Freeze/Conviction/Zeal. He is remarkable. I also currently have about 12 80+ characters and play only with a good long time playing buddy. We don't play in public games due to the level of skill and maturity of the the younger players. Lately, I have rekindled my love for the Barbarian class. Wonderfully powerful critters.

Opethian

I play atm Guild Wars (MMORPG)
Divine Divinity (Belgian RPG)
The Elder Scrolls: Morrowind (the next in the series is supposed to be even
better!)
Neverwinter Nights

And my favorite RPG's of all time are : Fallout 2, Fallout, Baldur's Gate II, Icewind Dale II, etc...

Sadly, I can only play these games in the weekend and during holidays (because I have a crappy laptop with a useless 3D card, that shuts off after trying to play a game for 20 minutes, and nobody can find the problem :s, at the place I stay during the week, at the city where I study), and I usually don't since making music has become a priority for me since about a year. But during holidays I usually crawl back into my dungeons :) There's nothing like a good fantasy world (no pun towards creationists ;) ).

BucephalusBB

ABACABB
Mister_T said:
WHAT ABOUT THE LEGEND OF ZELDA?!

Finally, I was allready afraid I would be the first to bring in Zelda in allready page 4 :jiggy:

So zelda (the snesversion first and then N64 followed by the rest..) and for me knights of the old republic. (only 1, because 2 wasn't that good..)

I was never so fond of RPG's where enemies popped out of nowhere. (FF)

Ori

Angel slayer
I usually prefer older RPG's such as Shadowrun, Secret of Mana, Grandia, Suikoden etc

The Final Fantasy games are ace too, as was Vagrant Story, but you don't here about that one much.

I would like to get the new Morrowind game or whatever it's called on the 360, but I can't afford it.

Ori

Angel slayer
I usually prefer older RPG's such as Shadowrun, Secret of Mana, Grandia, Suikoden etc

The Final Fantasy games are ace too, as was Vagrant Story, but you don't here about that one much.

I would like to get the new Morrowind game or whatever it's called on the 360, but I can't afford it.

Cerrax

That One Guy
Mike182 said:

WHAT?! YOU HAVE NOT BEEN GRACED WITH GREATNESS OF EARTHBOUND?!

Seriously dude, you can't say you like RPG's until you've played this one. It's the MOTHER (pun intended for those who know what I'm talking about) of all RPG's. Not even FF7 can beat it.

Cerrax

That One Guy
Mister_T said:
:eek:
That is the most blasphemous thing I've ever heard :faint:

Have you played EarthBound? EarthBound goes way beyond anything FF7 could possibly have (except the FMV's. But EarthBound is SNES, FF7 is PS1 so that can't be a deciding factor)

Rolling Stat counter (still missing in a lot of RPGs. really great component)
Custom names for characters, items and attacks (a lot of RPGs don't do this either)
Extremely strange plot, characters and items
Best final boss battle. Ever.

SNES Zelda rules all Zeldas. Ocarina of Time is Link to the Past with pretty graphics and new dungeons.

NoahideHiker

Religious Headbanger
My first love has always been AD&D but I now also play Castles and Crusades, and Legendary Adventures too. Castles and Crusades is a rules like version of the D20 game. Very fast and very easy. Legendary Adventures is a rules light skill based RPG created by Gary Gygax. It is the richest and most vibrant game I've ever played. The rules allow for near total freedom. Wanna run a mage that also swings a big two handed sword ala Gandalph? Do it! You can even run a classless character by just picking and choosing the skills you want.

I also play some RPGs on the 'puter and PS2. Diablo II is the bomb. Champions of Norath is my favorite. Baldur's Gate is good too.