• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Saddam is gone!

Mathematician

Reason, and reason again
:cover: Fox news showed his dead corpse, but not the execution.

Disgusting media outlets. Let people see death if they're so obsessed with it-- maybe they'll learn something next time before breaking out in a bloodlust.

On the front page of today's Corriere della Sera, Italy's most widely sold paper.
giannelli.gif

DrWurm

It's a very strange war to be in. We've always been under attack by countries. When the japanese bombed PH it was obvious who to retaliate against (Even if the retaliation was a horrible overkill). We're fighting a terrorist organization but instead we've hung the leader of a country not the organization. How long before we realize who we've been killing?

kiwimac

Brother Napalm of God's Love
Booko said:
It wouldn't matter how long they waited.

Much of the world will never regard that legal proceeding as having any legitamacy.

Would that be because it was a flawed trial? Or because it was constantly being influenced politically by both the US and the new Iraqi Government? Or would that be because the PM rushed the execution through?

kiwimac

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
I do not agree with capital punishment.
but to hold him in prison , would have meant he wasa rallying point for the rest of his life.
The chances are that he would have been sprung by supporters quite soon.

Radio Frequency X

World Leader Pretend
DrWurm said:
It's a very strange war to be in. We've always been under attack by countries. When the japanese bombed PH it was obvious who to retaliate against (Even if the retaliation was a horrible overkill). We're fighting a terrorist organization but instead we've hung the leader of a country not the organization. How long before we realize who we've been killing?

We are fighting a world war against more than just a terror organization, but the culture behind it. Saddam is apart of a culture that elevates dictators and oppresses the people, all while playing off the people's ignorance and fear, as if America, and not their governments, are the real enemy.

Quoth The Raven

Half Arsed Muse
Terrywoodenpic said:
I do not agree with capital punishment.
but to hold him in prison , would have meant he wasa rallying point for the rest of his life.
The chances are that he would have been sprung by supporters quite soon.
Yep. And now he can be a rallying point for the rest of his death. I have a feeling that's gonna go a bit longer.

DrWurm

Radio Frequency X said:
We are fighting a world war against more than just a terror organization, but the culture behind it. Saddam is apart of a culture that elevates dictators and oppresses the people, all while playing off the people's ignorance and fear, as if America, and not their governments, are the real enemy.

I don't agree. You cannot fight a culture. You can attempt to wash away ignorance but
killing the ignorant people only justifies what they professed. When a suicide bomber
attacks our troops, he's fighting to defend his home. He's giving his life to defend his
country, even if the country is a wreck.

Imagine if terrorists attacked china from canada (i know, canadian terrorists, but this
is hypothetical). China bombs canada but thinks the terror cell moved to the US. All of
a sudden Chinese troops are marching down your streets, searching houses, and
bombing "strategic points." They speak a language that you don't understand and that
scares you.

Do you think people in America would stand by and let nothing happen? Heck no.
People would riot and give their lives, just to keep our way of life. And how would
other Americans describe those acts? Heroic. Patriotic. Freedom Fighting. Then they
decide to take Bush to court because they think he's a bad person. Regardless of
whether you're a democrat or a republican, wouldn't you call that wrong? Look through
the eyes of these confused and scared Iraqis. It makes sense that they fight and hate
America. They're not stupid brainwashed puppets like you think. They don't want what
they have to change.

darkpenguin

Charismatic Enigma
I'm kind of likeing the way nobody is questioning my views on this, I guess i win then! George is as bad as saddam and if were playing the eye for an eye game then george should get the noose too!

ChrisP

Veteran Member
kiwimac said:
Would that be because it was a flawed trial? Or because it was constantly being influenced politically by both the US and the new Iraqi Government? Or would that be because the PM rushed the execution through?

kiwimac

Regarding your first points I agree... with regard to the latter, our papers were reporting there is a 30 day limit on executions in Iraq.

I know you're from Christchurch but :rolleyes: :p

Mathematician

Reason, and reason again
Radio Frequency X said:

And allowing the Iraqis to hang someone after a mock trial is going to change the culture of oppression and death, eh?

Our presence in the Middle East fuels these governments. We need to stop playing police and take a long look at our own problems before rushing over to wage the neocons' wars -- social security, illegal immigration, outsourcing, no terrorist is going to use those issues to gain support... our foreign policy should consist of providing humanitarian aid (meaning no missles being dropped from the sky) and working together with the international community, not against it.

George is as bad as saddam and if were playing the eye for an eye game then george should get the noose too!

He should be impeached, that's for certain.

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin
michel said:
You feel sorry for a mass murderer ? who has been given a very quick and easy death ?........I don't believe in capital punishment; he should habve been made to spend the rest of the days of his life understanding what a monster he was, and regretting it.

I just don't like people dealing out death and judgement, no matter what they've done. I honestly don't know of a better solution though. As I said in a later post, I'm an unhappy fence-sitter in terms of capital punishment in general.

Booko

Deviled Hen
michel said:
You feel sorry for a mass murderer ?

You asked this of Gentoo, not me, but since I expressed something of a similar opinion, I'll just repeat that yeah, I'd feel sorry for anyone who's childhood experience included getting the snot beat out of him on a regular basis.

I'm not sorry his ability to harm others has been stopped. Justice requires that, whether it's stopped through capital punishment or less irreversible means.

I don't believe in capital punishment; he should habve been made to spend the rest of the days of his life understanding what a monster he was, and regretting it.

Who knows whether he ever would have understood such a thing in this life. From a theistic point of view, he understands it now. Mileage may vary, of course.

Booko

Deviled Hen
Radio Frequency X said:
lol - Zen-politics never succeeds. The public wants a leader with at least one foot on the ground, though we rarely hope for two.

These days it seems the best we can get is one foot on the ground and one hand in the till. :(

Booko

Deviled Hen
kiwimac said:

All of the above, I expect.

Booko

Deviled Hen
Radio Frequency X said:

Radio, we are part of a culture that elevates dictators.

Saddam is just one in a long list. Pinochet, Marcos...gosh it's a long list and goes back quite a ways. And then, we're happy to pull the rug out of any democracy that doesn't suit our foreign policy goals.

While we as individuals may try to live up to the ideas given us by the Founders, we do still keep electing people who form gov'ts who do quite the opposite, and mostly we don't look too hard at how those gov'ts violate our most cherished ideals.

Booko

Deviled Hen
darkpenguin said:
I'm kind of likeing the way nobody is questioning my views on this, I guess i win then! George is as bad as saddam and if were playing the eye for an eye game then george should get the noose too!

I will only comment that it is possible to read some interesting opinions concerning why our current Administration is adamantly against joining certain international organizations, and they are honest in their reason, that it would lay our soldiers and politicians open to potential prosecution.

I would hardly agree that Bush is as bad as Saddam in one way, though. If Bush is as bad: Where are the piles of dead Americans and the prisons where our friends and relatives have been incarcerated and tortured for political reasons? :sarcastic

DrWurm

ChrisP said:
FYI that's the whole point of a Justice system. IMO anyway.

I'd like to think the justice system also keeps problems from escalating. However, this has been escalating a long time with no pause.