• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Saved to what end?

mainliner

no one can de-borg my fact's ...NO-ONE!!
No, I think it's pretty clear that you are the one that has no hope in the here and now. If there is not an afterlife, then you truly have no point to your existence. I on the other hand find meaning in my life and the lives of those around me.

P.S. I hope some day you do find something in this world to be happy about.
you never answered my question......... Are you happy living on earth with famine, disease, cancers, wars , homelessness , child slavery ........ Etc etc etc ?

FunctionalAtheist

Hammer of Reason
you never answered my question......... Are you happy living on earth with famine, disease, cancers, wars , homelessness , child slavery ........ Etc etc etc ?
I did answer you. Yes I like life, I am a happy individual. It is you that have not answered me. Have you NEVER experienced happiness, joy, contentment?

Your questions are little more than begging for erroneous conclusions. You are implying that life isn't perfect, therefore it is hopeless, without meaning. And that this condition somehow provides a rational pathway to the conclusion that we need saving.

FunctionalAtheist

Hammer of Reason
So far, at this time, it appears that what humanity needs saving from is its failure to appreciate the good things in life. So if we need saving from all the bad things that happen in the here and now, then
does it make you unhappy thinking about others less fortunate than you...... E.g people with cancer?
Yes, of course.

mainliner

it appears that what humanity needs saving from is its failure to appreciate the good things in life. .
we don't fail in appreciating the good things in life my friend :) far far from it .

we just don't let them cloud the truth :)

but im glad you answered my question honestly from the heart :)

Glaurung

Denizen of Niflheim
By your definition I'm in hell, yet I'm doing just fine without god.
No you are not. God is always with you at every moment while alive on earth, you cannot lose that until death.

Please explain your incredibly vague ramblings. I'm trying to understand here, not be told some BS fairy tale that I must just accept.
No you're not. You're just another self-conceited identity atheist with a massively overblown notion of his own knowledge and intelligence, out to belittle the foolish Christian because you're insecure.

Nonetheless you are actually offering me a wonderful test in patience. I'm not the coolest of heads which is something as a Christian I need to work on.

LOL, a distorted view of 'original sin.' That's like saying someone has a distorted view 'the force,' may it be with you.
So we've given up all pretence of asking serious questions? That didn't last long.

Last edited by a moderator:

FunctionalAtheist

Hammer of Reason
Our initial relationship with God was severed, consequently we were banished from his sight never to know him which is Hell.

No you are not. God is always with you at every moment while alive on earth, you cannot lose that until death.
Forgive me if pointing out your completely contradictory statements is child's play. It's amazing how some people think they should be able to completely contradict themselves and then call other people conceited for pointing it out.

FunctionalAtheist

Hammer of Reason
So we've given up all pretence of asking serious questions? That didn't last long.
It's the lack of an intelligent reply that we have given up on. The question stands. Just because you have no response other than to contradict yourself with one fairy tale and then another is no reason to suggest the question isn't honest.

mainliner

Forgive me if pointing out your completely contradictory statements is child's play. It's amazing how some people think they should be able to completely contradict themselves and then call other people conceited for pointing it out.
hows life my friend ?

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Do I NEED saving from a lack of knowledge? Is there a level of knowledge I must attain to be saved? Must I have complete (or even any certain) knowledge?

I understand the drive to understand, to reach for potential. But i fail to see how a positive affirmation of unconfirmed religious tenants moves us in that direction.
I agree with you here. There is no absolute necessity to be more knowledgeable, but some knowledge of what is good for oneself and the society is the minimum. Many people happily live and die with that kind of knowledge. Those who are inquisitive and will not stop at just that are welcome to proceed further. My brother and son are of the former type, I tend to be of the latter type. They are nonetheworse for it. :)

Glaurung

Denizen of Niflheim
If you were to read my posts I repeatedly say original sin was the loss of God's initial grace, not utter abandonment by God. But again, you're not interested in understanding.

It's the lack of an intelligent reply that we have given up on. The question stands. Just because you have no response other than to contradict yourself with one fairy tale and then another is no reason to suggest the question isn't honest.
You tell yourself whatever you wish, it doesn't change that you're utterly ignorant of what you attack. Not that you seem capable of anything but ignorant attack. You'll never be taken seriously with such an asinine attitude.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
.. Are you happy living on earth with famine, disease, cancers, wars, homelessness, child slavery ..?
It is perhaps a God created world. Perfect world, perfect humans created by a perfect One True God (who requires you to pray to Him and to no one else). Has all the praying to Gods for all these thousands of years changed life even a little bit?

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I'm not the coolest of heads which is something as a Christian I need to work on.
Oh, oh. So what are you going to do? Invent an 'internet bomb' and smite us, the internet atheists? I agree with you, it will be nice if such heads are worked upon.

FunctionalAtheist

Hammer of Reason
I agree with you here. There is no absolute necessity to be more knowledgeable, but some knowledge of what is good for oneself and the society is the minimum. Many people happily live and die with that kind of knowledge. Those who are inquisitive and will not stop at just that are welcome to proceed further. My brother and son are of the former type, I tend to be of the latter type. They are nonetheworse for it. :)
I agree with this and strongly encourage it. To learn and understand we must continuously ask questions and seek. Yet in the pursuit of knowledge, there is little more important than learning to distinguish between probability, possibility, and mere conjecture. I know you understand this, but I think this is where I'm having trouble relating 'knowledge' to 'salvation' as the common understanding of salvation has little to do with knowing, but in believing without evidence, knowledge seems counterintuitive to my cultural framework regarding salvation.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
I agree with this and strongly encourage it. To learn and understand we must continuously ask questions and seek. Yet in the pursuit of knowledge, there is little more important than learning to distinguish between probability, possibility, and mere conjecture. I know you understand this, but I think this is where I'm having trouble relating 'knowledge' to 'salvation' as the common understanding of salvation has little to do with knowing, but in believing without evidence, knowledge seems counterintuitive to my cultural framework regarding salvation.
That's conjecture right there.

FunctionalAtheist

Hammer of Reason
If you were to read my posts I repeatedly say original sin was the loss of God's initial grace, not utter abandonment by God. But again, you're not interested in understanding.

You tell yourself whatever you wish, it doesn't change that you're utterly ignorant of what you attack. Not that you seem capable of anything but ignorant attack. You'll never be taken seriously with such an asinine attitude.
I read, and even showed you your posts. You clearly stated 180 degree contradictions. You say I'm incapable of anything other than ignorant attack. I have done nothing but point out that incoherent ramblings and contradictions do not an argument make. I'm not on a DEBAT forum because I want someone to DICTATE their version of the truth, even if means they have to contradict themselves. I'm here to learn from individuals capable of presenting intelligent arguments.

I am very interested in understanding. My problem is I fail to understand you think direct contradictions will contribute to my understanding.