• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

School bans Peanut Butter & Jelly sandwiches

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
Lactose tolerance is an adaption that only a small % of humans thus far have evolved.

If you tolerate lactose you are an oddball? Most people aren't lactose intolerant. Besides, dairy is one of the best, if not the absolute best, sources of calcium we have. Something we need in our diets. Why shouldn't we eat dairy?

Correction most WHITE people can tolerate lactose.The world is not majority white.

Lactose Intolerance is Normal!

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
But even with "white" people of Northern European decent of those 15% are lactose intolerant..thats a pretty high # for an intolerance to a food .

Because 'originally' our bodies were not meant to drink milk after weaning.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Make 'em a baloney sandwich.

Problem solved.

Nitrate-free bologna on gluten-free bread. Top it off with egg-free mayo and dairy-free cheese (made from cashews of course, not soy).

C'mon, KT. Don't you keep current with what responsible parents do nowadays?

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
se Intolerance
In order to understand the physiology behind primary LI,
we must examine what happens to lactase activity as childhood
proceeds. We mentioned before that lactase levels remain high
during infancy. However, what happens after infancy is determined by one’s genetic makeup. If one possesses the more
common autosomal recessive gene, lactase activity begins to
drop between the ages of 2 and 20 years(3,4). On the other
hand (or chromosome), if one possesses the less common autosomal dominant gene, lactase activity remains high into adulthood.
What does this mean to those of us sitting in this room?
How many of you can drink milk right now and be free of any
problems? Raise your hands. Do those of you with your hands
raised realize that you are mutants? When I told my sons they
were mutants, they had visions of Ninja Turtles and X-Men,
but I had to clarify that they don’t get to live in the sewers or
chase bad guys. Why are you mutants?
No mammal other than man has the ability to ingest milk
as an adult. Even then, only a small percentage of the world’s
humans are actually lactase persistent, as those of you who
raised your hands are known. As many as 75 percent of humans are not able to drink milk as adults without experiencing embarrassing and painful symptoms. Why did some population groups develop the mutation that allowed them to drink
milk as adults? For one possible answer, we turn to simple
Darwinian evolutionary theory.

http://archive.ajpe.org/legacy/pdfs/aj640216.pdf

So depending on the source its anywhere between 75% and 90% of humans are "lactose intolerant"..which makes you the odd ball if you can drink it with absolutely ZERO issues with it...

Also though cheese and yogurt are more tolerable because they are fermented.So some may be able to tolerate those ..while they can not tolerate drinking milk.

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
Top it off with egg-free mayo and dairy-free cheese (made from cashews of course, not soy).

LOL!!! Eggs are good for you stop picking on EGGS! In fact eggs are one of the only decent sources of vitamin D!

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Nitrate-free bologna on gluten-free bread. Top it off with egg-free mayo and dairy-free cheese (made from cashews of course, not soy).

Sure, I'm generally aware of most of the ridiculous fads that all the nutty, trend-following sheep jump to from year-to-year, in the endless pursuit of trying to mitigate fractional risks while engaging in the shallow and meaningless exercise of displaying to their neighbors and friends that they really, really are good parents and good people, who will eventually wipe away all the terrible slights and hurts they received at the hands of their own barbaric and ignorant parents, by glomming onto any and every sad little scrap of socially mandated behavior, no matter how baseless or meaningless, which identifies them as "responsbile" parents and human beings.

Why do you ask?

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
LOL!!! Eggs are good for you stop picking on EGGS! In fact eggs are one of the only decent sources of vitamin D!

;)

Got a cookbook that is for egg-free, gluten-free, soy-free, and dairy-free recipes. It's got some really great stuff in it! It's for folks who react to all these various food items. One of my husbands cousins is severely allergic to eggs, and another was diagnosed with Celiac disease, so he can't have gluten.

But our eggs that we eat as a family? Locally pastured. They're gorgeous and the yolk is so golden and firm. We eat them every day. :)

But back to the egg-free thing? Yeah, I feel bad for people who are allergic to them. They substitute eggs with flaxseed for the most part (which acts as a binder). You can also, I think, use chia seeds soaked in water, which is gelatinous. I could be wrong there, but I know flaxseeds are a great substitute.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Sure, I'm generally aware of most of the ridiculous fads that all the nutty, trend-following sheep jump to from year-to-year, in the endless pursuit of trying to mitigate fractional risks while engaging in the shallow and meaningless exercise of displaying to their neighbors and friends that they really, really are good parents and good people, who will eventually wipe away all the terrible slights and hurts they received at the hands of their own barbaric and ignorant parents, by glomming onto any and every sad little scrap of socially mandated behavior, no matter how baseless or meaningless, which identifies them as "responsbile" parents and human beings.

Why do you ask?

Just curious.

Now tell me what you really think about it all. ;)

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..

Its not the parents fault in these cases anyway.They manufacture this "food" and its 90% whats in he damn grocery store.They wont help you figure out whats in it or what it does (can do) to your body longer term...I never even heard of 'nitrates" let alone knew that they weren't exactly good for you including the risk of stomach cancer until I was in my 30's.That would have been ...um ..after serving my kids probably 1,000 hot dogs (all tallied up over the years) and cured deli meats ...they didn't like bologna..one of my personal favorites...(with mustard and tomatoes on white wonder wonder bread)

Last edited:

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
But our eggs that we eat as a family? Locally pastured. They're gorgeous and the yolk is so golden and firm. We eat them every day.

Yes ! We get locally pastured eggs too...they are beautiful on the outside and the inside..the yolks are bright orange..not that pale yellow from the tortured mis fed hens.And the flavor and texture out of this world...I cook mine in a tad of coconut oil with a pinch of sea salt.. and oh ma gosh...I like to put a little pico de gallo over mine.. :drool:

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
But back to the peanut allergy thing..I don't understand why the kids would need to litterally start dropping dead before they would be considered..Is it O.K then for them to ONLY have some wheezing and or an uncomfortable rash during their school day?

Also by the way I'm not allergic to peanuts but I switched to almond butter because it is another one you can have an intolerance /or aversion .You may not even realize you have symptoms until you cut it out of your diet.The symptoms can be mild and you just except them as how you normally feel.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Its not the parents fault in these cases anyway.They manufacture this "food" and its 90% whats in he damn grocery store.They wont help you figure out whats in it or what it does (can do) to your body longer term...I never even heard of 'nitrates" let alone knew that they weren't exactly good for you including the risk of stomach cancer until I was in my 30's.That would have been ...um ..after serving my kids probably 1,000 hot dogs (all tallied up over the years) and cured deli meats ...they didn't like bologna..one of my personal favorites...(with mustard and tomatoes on white wonder wonder bread)

Same here. Grew up with meat-and-cheese on Wonder Bread with Ding Dongs in my lunchbox. Or tuna fish on Wonder Bread with Hostess Cupcakes in my lunchbox. Then Oscar Meyer hot dogs on white-flour buns and sugary ketchup.

One could look at my health problems as a by-product of those kinds of diets, which were everywhere, even for families with hippy parents like mine.

But back to the peanut allergies....there has been a sharp increase of diagnosed peanut allergies, including severe cases that are life-threatening. These are certainly different than what some people see as the gluten-free organic fads that are seen with a lot of skepticism. The reason is because of the anaphylactic shock at risk with kids who have these severe peanut allergies, and not a case of digestive upset or hives.

At our dance studio, I don't enforce organic, gluten-free foods on everybody. Too much micromanaging and unnecessary. I even let parents bring in food items with refined sugar in them. But peanut products are another story. The risks are far greater to consider than mere inconvenience and incredulity.

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
But peanut products are another story. The risks are far greater to consider than mere inconvenience and incredulity.

The risk are not just greater but immediate.I get what you are saying..its not like you are trying to preach nutrition and the possible long term health risk ...or prevent someone from feeling bloated or gassy a few hours later ..or breaking out with acne (milk ;)) more like ...UM ...not allowing someone to bring their cat inside knowing someone there is or could be highly and severely allergic to them.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
I don't know the exact risk of allowing peanut products in schools. However, it is the type of black and white risk that tends to result in either nothing happening, or with a kid suffocating after their throat swells closed. At the end of the day, even with a small probability of risk, I don't know if a peanut butter sandwich is worth it. There are plenty of other lunch options which carry no risk of accidentally killing a fellow student.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
I don't know the exact risk of allowing peanut products in schools. However, it is the type of black and white risk that tends to result in either nothing happening, or with a kid suffocating after their throat swells closed. At the end of the day, even with a small probability of risk, I don't know if a peanut butter sandwich is worth it. There are plenty of other lunch options which carry no risk of accidentally killing a fellow student.

Like bologna and cheese. ;)

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..

Why do you ask?

I think that's a little harsh.Calling nutritional concerns a "trend".I don't try to learn and educate my children to prove I'm a good parent or a good person.The truth is much of our food today is low in nutrition CRAP and we are LIED to..That is why obesity and things like type 2 diabetes is on the rise and yes in kids and adults.Of course coupled with we (as in on average) get less excersize.

Its not a 'trend" to not want your children to be one of "those" that has their first heart attack in their 40's..or have to start relying on medications to control their cholesterol /blood pressure or to control their adult on set diabetes in their 30's and 40's (or in my first sons case in his mid 20's) when a propper diet could have prevented it.

When your child for example is covered in painful acne ..finding out that MILK can cause it or aggravate it ...teaching them AND spreading the word because the doctors don't bother to mention it they just prescribe drugs ??That's not a "trend" and its not a "sad little scrap of socially mandated behavior" ..At least not "anymore' than the doctor putting them on a low dose of antibiotics for YEARS that also can result in IBS (screws up the balance in your intestines) then you go to the doctor for that and they give them a DIFFERENT med....rather than suggesting STOP drinking milk ..and take PROBIOTICS with the antibiotics...

Sorry if they makes me trying to "prove" Im a good person or if that makes me a "sheep"...

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
I do miss bologna on white bread with mustard and tomato I have to admit.(with a good sprinkle of black pepper)One day I will have one for old timey sakes...

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
I think that's a little harsh.Calling nutritional concerns a "trend".

Nutritional concerns aren't a trend. Nutritional fads, buzzword-filled marketing labels, and baseless pseudoscience engineered to create hype and panic, are. And these are especially problematic when combined with the type of mindset which attaches to every new fad as it comes along, out of a misguided sense of social compliance and conformity.

It's pretty simple - eat more fresh fruit, vegetables, leans meats, whole grains, and other healthy/natural foods, while reducing the amount of processed foods you eat as much as possible. If something doesn't agree with you, then cut it out of your diet. Pay attention, listen to your body.