• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

School bans Peanut Butter & Jelly sandwiches

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
It has already been explained why such a ban is excessive and unnecessary, so the lack of criticial thinking would be on your part. Yes, peanut allergies are serious, but there are much easier ways to prevent your child from eating some other kid's food than imposing a ban upon others.

Where is there a "ban" on kids eating peanut butter other than in public schools? And even with that where is the ban? Even in the OP kids can eat it ..but just at separate tables...No one is "banning' kids from eating peanut butter.Lets not exaggerate..

No one is stopping any parent from feeding their kid peanut butter at every single meal at home...NO ban on kids eating peanut butter .

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
I fail to see why it would be difficult for the school to enforce a "hands to yourself" rule during lunch, and then mandate hand washing afterwards. It's also something that parents can reinforce as, you know, parents. It won't kill them to take on a little responsibility.

I think parents take on responsibility but their kids aren't puppets.

Uberpod

Hold up there, squirt. I like how you presented a straw man and followed it up with a non sequitur.
You need to learn to appreciate a bonus when one is offered.
No one here has presented anything that can be summed up as "My parents gave me pbj as a child, so therefore nothing is wrong with it."
Straw man? Not really. Don't you see an obvious implication going on here in some of these?:

How many decades have we been sending children to school with PB&J sandwiches? If it really caused such terrible problems we'd have seen huge repercussions and we haven't.

Of course I remember going to school with peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, and yes times have changed. .

In all these years, years and years and years of kids eating PB&J sandwiches in schools, where are all the overwhelming convincing statistics showing how these allergic reactions have happened at such an alarming rate that actually banning kids from having such a basic lunch is actually suddenly called for now?

My mother was not ignorant and barbaric..along with bologna sandwiches she was a wonderful cook...Of course being from the south we did eat a lot of fried things...But my mother cooked us home made food every single day unless we had leftovers..Beef burgandy stew...chicken and dumplings..fried beef liver..pork chops..fried chicken..chicken fried steak in tomato gravy...roast beef ..barbeque chicken ..steaks....ham and potato casserole..fired cat fish ..fried shrimp ..salmon patties...not to mention fresh cooked veggies ...(home made creamed corn ..corn on the cob) green beans ..butter beans...lima beans ..okra . ..fresh tomatoes..peas..home made mashed potatoes...broccoli casserole ..cauliflower ..sweetened beats...salads with Italian dressing.....baked beans ...home made corn bread...baked cheese grits..bacon ..scrambled eggs...oatmeal ..home made mac and cheese...for sweets mostly she made cakes..or pies ..like home made apple pie /peach cobbler..Boston cream pie ..key lime pie....pop overs..etc...

In my case my mother was not 'barbaric" ..she cooked with love and she cooked hard...I think I had eaten at McDonalds (or any other fast food chain) maybe half a dozen times in my life by the time I was 13.

I will always appreciate my mother for how she cooked for us.And I only listed about 1/50th of what she prepared for us growing up and even later as adults when we came over....

It has already been explained why such a ban is excessive and unnecessary, so the lack of criticial thinking would be on your part. Yes, peanut allergies are serious, but there are much easier ways to prevent your child from eating some other kid's food than imposing a ban upon others.
The age when pbj is popular is of the age where follow through on directions are quite far from emaculate. It is age appropriate decision to ban nuts in grade school if there is a known person with peanut allergies among the student body.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
How many deaths need to be prevented by a ban such as the OP to justify its use? A hundred? Ten? Is a single one enough?

I suspect that this ban will prevent a rather low number of deaths, does anyone think otherwise? In this case, to be consistent, shouldn't all other major food allergens that can cause death be banned as well?

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Found this UK study on the subject: How dangerous is food allergy in childhood? The incidence of severe and fatal allergic reactions across the UK and Ireland

From the article:
Over the past 10 years, eight children died (incidence of 0.006 deaths per 100 000 children 0–15 years per year). Milk caused four of the deaths. No child under 13 died from peanut allergy.

Over the past two years, there were six near fatal reactions (none caused by peanut) and 49 severe ones (10 caused by peanut), yielding incidences of 0.02 and 0.19 per 100 000 children 0–15 years per year respectively.

...the risk that a food allergic child will die from a food allergic reaction is about 1 in 800 000 per year.

The risk would seem rather low from any food allergy. However, it appears that milk is more dangerous than peanuts. I suppose schools should probably ban milk if they're banning peanuts. How many people are for a milk ban at schools?

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
Milk doesn't normally cause the anaphylactic shock .Its a slower death..So everyone loves "milk" because it has calcium and it "does a body good' ..(which is pretty much a lie)

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
A lot of things are potentially lethal, but the precautions we take should be rational and sensible rather than extreme and unnecessary.

A lot of things. Like what? And if something is potentially lethal just by breathing.....explain how a ban would be extreme? I'd say a Nike shoes ban to be extreme and unnecessary.

Well, yes, that is equally dumb because I wasn't aware that the airlines were force feeding the peanuts to passengers prior to the ban. :rolleyes: If a passenger is allergic to peanuts, they could, you know, elect not to ******* consume them?

You obviously have not been reading that it isn't ingestion alone that can be lethal to a child with a peanut allergy. Inhalation of peanut dust can cause anaphylactic shock in those who have severe allergies.

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
A lot of things. Like what? And if something is potentially lethal just by breathing.....explain how a ban would be extreme? I'd say a Nike shoes ban to be extreme and unnecessary.

You obviously have not been reading that it isn't ingestion alone that can be lethal to a child with a peanut allergy. Inhalation of peanut dust can cause anaphylactic shock in those who have severe allergies.

True.

Draka

Wonder Woman

And...peanut butter does not have peanut dust. It is a ... butter. It is creamy. It resides between someone else's two pieces of bread. You aren't going to inhale it. If you can inhale peanut butter from someone else's sandwich from down a table or another table over, while they are even eating it mind you, I would pay to see it. Heck, I would sell tickets to that enormous feat.

I repeat, you cannot, that is...cannot, have an allergic reaction from peanut butter without actual ingestion. Even if you get this miraculously dangerous "residue" on your hands from touching someone else's hands who just ate a PB&J the most you can get (if you have an extreme allergy) is a mild skin irritation which would prompt a washing of the skin. It would not be enough to set off full alarms of severe allergic reactions and anaphylactic shock and everything else dramatically talked about here. There is no possible way.

Look, I can see not putting peanuts in hot lunch items, fine. Not serving the kids nut products en masse, ok. But we are talking about parents sending personal lunches for their own children. Peanut butter. Not peanut dust.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
And...peanut butter does not have peanut dust. It is a ... butter. It is creamy. It resides between someone else's two pieces of bread. You aren't going to inhale it. If you can inhale peanut butter from someone else's sandwich from down a table or another table over, while they are even eating it mind you, I would pay to see it. Heck, I would sell tickets to that enormous feat.

I repeat, you cannot, that is...cannot, have an allergic reaction from peanut butter without actual ingestion. Even if you get this miraculously dangerous "residue" on your hands from touching someone else's hands who just ate a PB&J the most you can get (if you have an extreme allergy) is a mild skin irritation which would prompt a washing of the skin. It would not be enough to set off full alarms of severe allergic reactions and anaphylactic shock and everything else dramatically talked about here. There is no possible way.

Look, I can see not putting peanuts in hot lunch items, fine. Not serving the kids nut products en masse, ok. But we are talking about parents sending personal lunches for their own children. Peanut butter. Not peanut dust.

I think you're ignoring the potential risks with peanut butter, D. You've jumped around and said that kids should be able to just bring PB&J regardless of any risks, that the risks aren't serious, to kids should just wash their hands, to how this is mindless, this doesn't register on the radar, to there's no risk to peanut residue on hands from peanut butter (I brought that up in another post).

There's a liability issue here. Not only that, but the school ban on peanuts is actually not that new of a thing. There are lists of schools, day care centers, airlines, restaurants, etc. that explicitly label themselves as "allergen/peanut-free" to let people with potential fatal allergies be aware of what establishments are safe and which are not (and are in constant need of wiping down seats, table tops, silverware, glasses, any surface the child has to touch.

Let me put it another way for you here....say a school has a bee hive on its premises that may be out of the way, but still open and active for the bees to roam around looking for pollen. There are people who have possible life-threatening allergic reactions to bee stings from the venom, so how responsible would a school be by knowingly having a bee hive in its premises while there are students who knowingly attend that have severe allergies to bee venom?

What I'm getting from you is that a) kids with severe peanut allergies actually don't exist and are blowing this out of proportion....or that b) their health concern is not worth the majority people's convenience and preferences. But please correct me if I'm wrong.

Your gripe has been addressed many times over around the nation with many different establishments. Some parents get riled up (especially vegetarian parents, which is weird) about the "right" to send a PB&J to their kids' school without some snarky kid saying he'll have an allergic reaction to peanuts.

Did you know that many kids, when given the chance (you brought up school bullying before), look at that as an opportunity to sneak peanuts into these kids food items as a joke or as a bullying opportunity? It's not just about kids just being mindless little twerps who have bad parents who don't teach their kids how to protect themselves against all possibilities. There are kids who think it's funny and see it as a chance to play a sick joke.

Again, I've seen the reaction happen. Have you? It's not funny. It's not something to wave a hand at and dismiss. It's not something to blame parents on. Restaurants and airlines will often treat gluten and wheat allergies much less seriously than peanut and shellfish allergies. And it's because they know the unique nature of these food-borne allergies and the reactions that they inflict on the person. They'll cater to the individual to offer a gluten-free meal, or vegetarian-meal, or a kosher-meal, etc. But peanut allergies? They're fully aware of the risks involved with not just kids but teens and adults. Airlines will treat their customers with these allergies much much more seriously and with much more attention than what I mentioned before with specialty requests. That is, unless they are "peanut-free" as an airline.