• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

School bans Peanut Butter & Jelly sandwiches

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..

To offer kids that are "tolerant" of milk I suppose.I just think they should stop lying and saying it should be a part of your "daily diet" for everyone "unless" you are intolerant which apparently is about 75% of the world population.

It certainly should not be on the daily "food group" pyramid.It should not be "pushed" like it is and touted as one of the if not THE "best source of calcium".

Then again maybe it should be(banned)..since 90% of Asians are lactose "intolerant" ..75% of black people are ...and 50% of Hispanics and Native Americans are "intolerant"...but only 15% of white "Northern European decent" are..Having milk as a main staple beverage in every school seems almost like catering to the white people wants in that sense.

Ya know I'm a big believer in why not just offer water? I mean really its the only beverage we really require..not many are "intolerant' or "allergic' to it as long as its clean.Its not loaded with sugar either.And its cheap.Have filtered water that the kids can fill up there cup with as many times as they want during lunch.

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
Its an over reaction to have 'nut free" tables for a child who is deathly allergic to peanuts to sit at during lunch?Or for the school cafeterias to have nut free kitchens ?

Even on a lot of the labels on foods in stores I have noticed have a warning that the product may have been packaged in a facility that also packages products containing nuts.Or it will say it was not.

I think if I was deathly allergic to trace exposure to nuts I wouldn't call that an over reaction .

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
Its an over reaction to have 'nut free" tables for a child who is deathly allergic to peanuts to sit at during lunch?Or for the school cafeterias to have nut free kitchens ?
My comment was referring to school-wide bans. Nut-free tables and kitchens seem to me a reasonable approach.

Draka

Wonder Woman
My comment was referring to school-wide bans. Nut-free tables and kitchens seem to me a reasonable approach.

Oh no...you might encounter a child with residue on the playground now. :sarcastic

I've tried this approach. I've tried being fair and saying that I agree that the hot lunches and snacks and so on being peanut free I have no issue with. It's the school-wide ultra strict ban against even a child bringing their own peanut butter sandwich to eat, even sitting away from an allergic student, that I find completely ridiculous. However for saying such a thing I have been branded an unfeeling, mocking, kid-hating, allergy-doubting bully-fueling monster here.

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
Oh no...you might encounter a child with residue on the playground now. :sarcastic

I've tried this approach. I've tried being fair and saying that I agree that the hot lunches and snacks and so on being peanut free I have no issue with. It's the school-wide ultra strict ban against even a child bringing their own peanut butter sandwich to eat, even sitting away from an allergic student, that I find completely ridiculous. However for saying such a thing I have been branded an unfeeling, mocking, kid-hating, allergy-doubting bully-fueling monster here.

You also promote that "most people" are not milk intolerant and you are totally wrong.And you promote milk as some sort of necessary food item to get our daily calcium and are totally wrong about that.Who would listen to you about deathly allergies? Or anything you think "ridiculous" relating to food.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member

Do you know any families with a child who has a severe peanut allergy? Are you aware of the kind of precautions they have to take when they leave the house?

No one is calling you a monster. I just think you're unaware of the risks involved, and that you're clinging to the "zero" risk factor of peanut butter because you see it as an infringement on people's rights to eat peanut butter wherever they see fit, thinking you're being attacked, and happily branding ban-supporters as being over-zealous and ridiculous.

Now that we got that out of our systems, care to address the link to the mayo clinic and your contention that there is "zero" risk from peanut butter toward kids with severe allergies? There are others links and advice and policies put in place by airlines, day care centers, restaurants, and other schools that offer information for those who are unaware of the risks, but let's start with that one.

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
No one is calling you a monster. I just think you're unaware of the risks involved, and that you're clinging to the "zero" risk factor of peanut butter because you see it as an infringement on people's rights to eat peanut butter wherever they see fit, thinking you're being attacked, and happily branding ban-supporters as being over-zealous and ridiculous.

I agree...

Draka you aren't a monster..just in this case ignorant..and maybe a wee bit insensitive due to your ingnorance.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
I would still be raising hell over the fact that the "nut eating kids" are being singled out and separated from the normal group. Sure some kids have severe nut allergies, but it is simply absurd to put those kids who don't aside and separate them from the normal group, especially since hardly anyone (if anyone) is trying to force nuts down someone's throat. If I can find an online link, one day a teacher told her class that kids with blue eyes are special, then the next day said she was mistaken and that kids with brown eyes are special. The lesson was to teach kids who are exposed to hardly anyone besides white middle class about diversity (and how the self-segregation quickly took hold), and having those "nut eating kids" sitting by themselves I do not see as being able to produce anything but a group of kids who are singled out as odd because they are placed in a group to themselves.

Last edited:

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
And that's another point Mystic...WHY am I not allowed to bring a peanut butter sandwich on an air plane?????? Its not like I'm going to spit chewed up sand which on another passengers face! Why am I allowed to have a beer on an airplane but not a peanut butter sandwich??????????HUH?

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
I would still be raising hell over the fact that the "nut eating kids" are being singled out and separated from the normal group.

No its not..."nut free tables" is not singling out nut eating kids. Having tables available for allergic kids to eat at safe is not "singling out " nut eating kids...Give me a break Shadow ..come on....

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
but it is simply absurd to put those kids aside and separate them from the normal group.

NO ! The allergic kids have a safe table..that is NOT separating "normal" kids from "non normal kids"..

The ones "singled out" are the ones trying not to have an allergic attack that has the potential to kill them...do you have a problem with that?

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
. If I can find an online link, one day a teacher told her class that kids with blue eyes are special, then the next day said she was mistaken and that kids with brown eyes are special. The lesson was to teach kids who are exposed to hardly anyone besides white middle class about diversity (and how the self-segregation quickly took hold), and having those "nut eating kids" sitting by themselves I do not see as being able to produce anything but a group of kids who are singled out as odd because they are placed in a group to themselves.

HERE children...if you are allergic to nuts you can sit at this table and not be at risk ..this table is free of any nuts...welcome here and eat in peace..

Is NOT the same as separating children by the color of their eyes..to compare them you are demonizing people that actually are concerned with children's medical health..specifically life threatening food allergies..Which is ignorant.

Eye color has never been known to cause anaphylactic shock.If so ???Yes I would be in favor of separate tables based on eye color.

Shadow Wolf

NO ! The allergic kids have a safe table..that is NOT separating "normal" kids from "non normal kids"..

The ones "singled out" are the ones trying not to have an allergic attack that has the potential to kill them...do you have a problem with that?
And just to think, out of all those times I was made to feel like an odd ball and the social outcast at school, those teachers should have made me feel even more out of place every time my own mother sent me to school with a peanut butter-jelly sandwich (and every so often I would even sit next to a kid who did have nut allergies).
Actually if that was how it was, I think I would have begged my mom to not send me to school with anything that has nuts in it. Maybe it's because I was bullied and picked on, but the idea of segregating kids on who can eat nuts and who can't seems like a very horrible idea.

Last edited:

Shadow Wolf

And out of all the weird and odd times for one helluva coinkidink, just as I posted that last post a song with a sound bite about "kids with allergies....nut allergies" was playing on a song on my computer. Still not the best coinkidink I've ever had though.

Shadow Wolf

The healty things you have ban in the school which gives energy to children.
There should be a concern with what the school itself serves because some kids do have nut allergies, milk allergies, fish allergies, one of the other many food allergies that exists. However, if I would have had to sit at a separate table during lunch because I was one of those weirdo nut eaters it would have only made my own life that much harder, while those very few normal non-nut-eaters would have had even more to use against me.

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
No .You have one table set aside for kids with severe allergies to nuts that is nut free.It has nothing to do with "weirdo nut eaters".You have your choice to sit at 20 other tables .

I cant remember where it was I think our local symphony...there was a row in the back with about 5or so seats reserved for people with allergies to cologne and perfume.I was wearing perfume so I picked a seat out of the other 100 or so seats available.I didn't get all bent out of shape and start whining about being a "weirdo perfume wearer".And that they had reserved seats for the normal non perfume wearers.

Why would I take personal offense that some people are allergic /super sensitive to perfume and I'm not?

Shadow Wolf

No .You have one table set aside for kids with severe allergies to nuts that is nut free.It has nothing to do with "weirdo nut eaters".You have your choice to sit at 20 other tables .
Eventually, the school district decided that students could bring in nut products for lunch, but not for class snacks. Those eating nut products with their lunches sit at a special table, a table that is usually full of kids with peanut butter sandwiches, says Clifton-Jones. She's pleased with her school’s compromise, but similar debates shed a spotlight on food allergy legislation in schools.
I see no justification for separating kids like that.