• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

School bans Peanut Butter & Jelly sandwiches

Slapstick

Seriously? Seriously. Well, then they decided to say "Okay, your kids can have peanut butter in their lunches, but they have to sit at a special table." :rolleyes:

More of the article at source:
How Far Should Schools Go to Protect Children With Food Allergies? - Allergy Center - Everyday Health

Now, in the rest of the article it is also pointed out that the second most common food allergy is milk. Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the usual drink issued out at school cafeterias milk? So what is next? No more milk? No one can have cheese? No yogurt? If a packed lunch is for your kid it is for your kid, not for any other kid. You are not packing it for the entire school. :areyoucra
Kids have nothing else to live for or look forward too. PB&J was the only think I looked forward to when I was going school.

Draka

Wonder Woman
I think you're ignoring the potential risks with peanut butter, D. You've jumped around and said that kids should be able to just bring PB&J regardless of any risks, that the risks aren't serious, to kids should just wash their hands, to how this is mindless, this doesn't register on the radar, to there's no risk to peanut residue on hands from peanut butter (I brought that up in another post).
Well, it's all true. first, there are no risks to a peanut butter sandwich. You, yourself, mentioned dust. There is no dust. And if the allergic person in question doesn't eat the peanut butter then there is no risk. Pretty simple there. Washing hands takes care of any residue. This is mindless. It doesn't register on the radar in comparison to many other problems which affect kids every day.

There's a liability issue here. Not only that, but the school ban on peanuts is actually not that new of a thing. There are lists of schools, day care centers, airlines, restaurants, etc. that explicitly label themselves as "allergen/peanut-free" to let people with potential fatal allergies be aware of what establishments are safe and which are not (and are in constant need of wiping down seats, table tops, silverware, glasses, any surface the child has to touch.
And as I said, I can see making the policy to not serve peanuts in hot lunches, to not make it a distribution thing to all the kids in the school. I'm talking about the right for parents who decide to pack their children special made lunches and put whatever they want in them, including peanut butter. Those lunches are for their children. Not for other kids.

Let me put it another way for you here....say a school has a bee hive on its premises that may be out of the way, but still open and active for the bees to roam around looking for pollen. There are people who have possible life-threatening allergic reactions to bee stings from the venom, so how responsible would a school be by knowingly having a bee hive in its premises while there are students who knowingly attend that have severe allergies to bee venom?
Your comparison only works if you throw in that, okay...the school removes/transplants the beehive...doesn't mean that Belinda can't bring her pet bee to school in a jar for show and tell as long as it is kept in the jar and she keeps it with her.

Again, no nuts served to ALL the kids, shouldn't mean that some kids can't have peanut butter sandwiches in their own lunches, packed for them, meant for them, for them and only them to eat.

What I'm getting from you is that a) kids with severe peanut allergies actually don't exist and are blowing this out of proportion....or that b) their health concern is not worth the majority people's convenience and preferences. But please correct me if I'm wrong.
a)kids with severe peanut allergies so severe that merely smelling someone else's PB&J from down a table will set off their allergies...don't exist. That is not to say that kids don't have severe nut allergies, but come on, you have to ingest the peanut butter. How many times must this be said?
b)their health is NOT AFFECTED by some other kids having peanut butter in their lunches and so shouldn't cause any difference in other people's diets.

Your gripe has been addressed many times over around the nation with many different establishments. Some parents get riled up (especially vegetarian parents, which is weird) about the "right" to send a PB&J to their kids' school without some snarky kid saying he'll have an allergic reaction to peanuts.
Vegetarians like peanut butter, like nuts in general, for the healthy fats and protein in it. I don't know why you find that weird.

Did you know that many kids, when given the chance (you brought up school bullying before), look at that as an opportunity to sneak peanuts into these kids food items as a joke or as a bullying opportunity? It's not just about kids just being mindless little twerps who have bad parents who don't teach their kids how to protect themselves against all possibilities. There are kids who think it's funny and see it as a chance to play a sick joke.
Doesn't happen as much as you would seem to like to argue it does. AND, if you've followed up on that, there has been some teasing and bullying about being allergic, yes, but there is teasing and bullying about just about everything under the sun AND so far can't find any cases of the teasing and bullying actually being anything more than teasing and having produced a REAL threat. That is, they joke about putting nuts in the food, but they don't actually do it. Kids are cruel, yes, but at the age that that kind of bullying happens they are old enough to know what results and they don't tend to aim to kill.

Again, I've seen the reaction happen. Have you? It's not funny. It's not something to wave a hand at and dismiss. It's not something to blame parents on. Restaurants and airlines will often treat gluten and wheat allergies much less seriously than peanut and shellfish allergies. And it's because they know the unique nature of these food-borne allergies and the reactions that they inflict on the person. They'll cater to the individual to offer a gluten-free meal, or vegetarian-meal, or a kosher-meal, etc. But peanut allergies? They're fully aware of the risks involved with not just kids but teens and adults. Airlines will treat their customers with these allergies much much more seriously and with much more attention than what I mentioned before with specialty requests. That is, unless they are "peanut-free" as an airline.
I just don't understand what you aren't seeing here. A school saying they are "peanut-free" when it comes to their hot-lunches and snacks and so on...hunky-dory...fine and dandy. I have absolutely no issue with that. I just don't see why go all out and ban peanut butter sent by parents for their children. Peanut butter cannot affect the allergies of an allergic person unless they actually eat it. Why is this such a difficult concept?

Me Myself

Back to my username
Yes, the difference between nut and milk allergies is that inhalation/contact can cause a reaction in the former, but not the latter.

However, I don't think that a schoolwide ban is an appropriate reaction; it sounds like the typical over-reaction school officials have to other things, like toy guns.

Nw lets be fair, this is not even by far as overracting as the toy guns thung.

I think this one is at least debatable :D

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Well, it's all true. first, there are no risks to a peanut butter sandwich. You, yourself, mentioned dust. There is no dust. And if the allergic person in question doesn't eat the peanut butter then there is no risk. Pretty simple there. Washing hands takes care of any residue. This is mindless. It doesn't register on the radar in comparison to many other problems which affect kids every day.

And as I said, I can see making the policy to not serve peanuts in hot lunches, to not make it a distribution thing to all the kids in the school. I'm talking about the right for parents who decide to pack their children special made lunches and put whatever they want in them, including peanut butter. Those lunches are for their children. Not for other kids.

Your comparison only works if you throw in that, okay...the school removes/transplants the beehive...doesn't mean that Belinda can't bring her pet bee to school in a jar for show and tell as long as it is kept in the jar and she keeps it with her.

Again, no nuts served to ALL the kids, shouldn't mean that some kids can't have peanut butter sandwiches in their own lunches, packed for them, meant for them, for them and only them to eat.

a)kids with severe peanut allergies so severe that merely smelling someone else's PB&J from down a table will set off their allergies...don't exist. That is not to say that kids don't have severe nut allergies, but come on, you have to ingest the peanut butter. How many times must this be said?
b)their health is NOT AFFECTED by some other kids having peanut butter in their lunches and so shouldn't cause any difference in other people's diets.

Vegetarians like peanut butter, like nuts in general, for the healthy fats and protein in it. I don't know why you find that weird.

Doesn't happen as much as you would seem to like to argue it does. AND, if you've followed up on that, there has been some teasing and bullying about being allergic, yes, but there is teasing and bullying about just about everything under the sun AND so far can't find any cases of the teasing and bullying actually being anything more than teasing and having produced a REAL threat. That is, they joke about putting nuts in the food, but they don't actually do it. Kids are cruel, yes, but at the age that that kind of bullying happens they are old enough to know what results and they don't tend to aim to kill.

I just don't understand what you aren't seeing here. A school saying they are "peanut-free" when it comes to their hot-lunches and snacks and so on...hunky-dory...fine and dandy. I have absolutely no issue with that. I just don't see why go all out and ban peanut butter sent by parents for their children. Peanut butter cannot affect the allergies of an allergic person unless they actually eat it. Why is this such a difficult concept?

You did not read a word I said before, D. And it's not difficult for me as a parent and an educator of hundreds of kids. I think you need to get over your indignant attitude toward kids with peanut allergies and read more carefully.

There is a risk to peanut butter and peanut product brought on the premises because elementary school age kids do not have generally the maturity to understand the risk of spreading residue from hand to hand or surface to hand. Dallas has explained it to you. I've explained it to you. It is you who is having a difficult time understanding the concept of the risk involved because you think that parents should have the right to bring a substance onto school grounds that is a risk factor to somebody else....which you maintain carries "no risk"....which simply is not true.

BTW, as a former vegetarian and vegan (7 years as a veg), I'm well aware of the proteins found in peanuts that provide a nutritional element to a vegetarian diet. What I found weird about parents protesting about the peanut-ban is that many veg parents demand schools accommodate THEIR kids diet options (which is voluntary), but protest when the school accommodates for the diets of kids with peanut allergies.

I find it weird....and a tad bit hypocritical....for vegetarian parents to protest and gripe about a school accommodating for a child that is not their own, and for a more serious reason that carries liability issues.

One more thing...kids with peanut allergies HAVE reported other kids attempting to put peanut products in their food items as a joke. You assume this doesn't happen. I speak often at elementary schools about bullying. I've partnered with various anti-bullying organizations to do outreach programs and performances. I've raised awareness and funds for anti-bullying causes. You're preaching to the wrong person when it comes to the impact and avenues of what bullying looks like and the impact on kids in schools. I'm actively involved in area schools that actually address the issue.

And finally, I have yet to get one complaint out of 160 students families for my peanut ban on our premises. People get confused over the necessity of it, but with a little education, all parents I've talked with understand why we instituted the ban. The parents with kids with severe peanut allergies have been a huge help too in offering their knowledge and advice on how to replace any peanut substitutions to other parents who want to do the right thing, but don't know how.

Draka

Wonder Woman
I have read what you have been saying. I don't have some indignant attitude towards kids with peanut allergies. You are trying to make out like I am some kid-hating, unfeeling monster here. For crying out loud. I have done nothing more than provide the truth. Not only that, but the statistics back me up. Quite simply, what I have said is just right. You can't have an allergic reaction to peanut butter unless through ingestion. You can't get it through inhalation. You can't go into any kind of shock or anything from getting "residue" on your hands. It just can't happen.

As for the bullying, like I said, bullying happens for every reason under the sun. So you want to take peanut products out of schools to stop bullying of allergic kids? Now, how do you propose to stop the bullying of everyone else? Shove socks in everyone's mouth? Don't be overweight. Don't be poor. Don't have the wrong brand of clothes. Wrong haircut. Don't be different in any way shape or form. Don't be too smart. Don't be too dumb. Don't have the wrong relation. Don't live in the wrong neighborhood. You know, just because Sally has a PB&J doesn't mean she's going to shove it down Andy's throat. Removing things isn't the way to stop bullying, teaching empathy is.

I'm not unfeeling Mystic, I can just recognize overreaction when I see it. We have simply gotten to a strange point in our, what...culture/society/nation...where we seem to want to go overboard with our steps to "protect" that really aren't entirely necessary. Like what is going on with the whole guns in schools thing (point a finger and go "pow-pow" and get suspended - how fricken stupid). We go excessively far instead of taking reasonable steps. Instead of stepping back and analyzing a situation and going "okay, this is what actually causes issues here so we are just going to restrict this that and the other and take these appropriate safety steps" we seem to say "EVERYTHING even remotely or possibly connected with this can't be anywhere around us" without seeing how absurd it all is.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
I have read what you have been saying. I don't have some indignant attitude towards kids with peanut allergies. You are trying to make out like I am some kid-hating, unfeeling monster here. For crying out loud. I have done nothing more than provide the truth. Not only that, but the statistics back me up. Quite simply, what I have said is just right. You can't have an allergic reaction to peanut butter unless through ingestion. You can't get it through inhalation. You can't go into any kind of shock or anything from getting "residue" on your hands. It just can't happen.

The mayo clinic disagrees with you.

Peanut allergy: Causes - MayoClinic.com

Exposure to peanuts can occur in different ways:

Direct contact. The most common cause of peanut allergy is eating peanuts or peanut-containing foods. Sometimes direct skin contact with peanuts can trigger an allergic reaction.
Cross-contact. This is the unintended introduction of peanuts into a product. It's generally the result of a food being exposed to peanuts during processing or handling.
Inhalation. An allergic reaction may occur if you inhale dust or aerosols containing peanuts, such as that of peanut flour or peanut oil cooking spray.

You haven't brought up facts. You've brought up assumptions.

As for the bullying, like I said, bullying happens for every reason under the sun. So you want to take peanut products out of schools to stop bullying of allergic kids? Now, how do you propose to stop the bullying of everyone else? Shove socks in everyone's mouth? Don't be overweight. Don't be poor. Don't have the wrong brand of clothes. Wrong haircut. Don't be different in any way shape or form. Don't be too smart. Don't be too dumb. Don't have the wrong relation. Don't live in the wrong neighborhood. You know, just because Sally has a PB&J doesn't mean she's going to shove it down Andy's throat. Removing things isn't the way to stop bullying, teaching empathy is.

Yes. Teaching empathy, embracing diversity, and accepting each other's differences. That includes embracing and including those who are unique and different than most others. Including kids with peanut allergies.

Like I said, I actually work with area school social workers on addressing the issue in schools and I've spoken in school assemblies before on the issue on anti-bullying measures. Schools have sought ME out. So, again, you're barking up the wrong tree here.

My support for a peanut ban is not just prevent bullying (you're jumping around and conflating again). Read carefully....I support the ban because of the possible liability and risk involved with kids who attend the school with life-threatening and severe peanut allergies. Period.

I'm not unfeeling Mystic, I can just recognize overreaction when I see it. We have simply gotten to a strange point in our, what...culture/society/nation...where we seem to want to go overboard with our steps to "protect" that really aren't entirely necessary. Like what is going on with the whole guns in schools thing (point a finger and go "pow-pow" and get suspended - how fricken stupid). We go excessively far instead of taking reasonable steps. Instead of stepping back and analyzing a situation and going "okay, this is what actually causes issues here so we are just going to restrict this that and the other and take these appropriate safety steps" we seem to say "EVERYTHING even remotely or possibly connected with this can't be anywhere around us" without seeing how absurd it all is.

The finger gun I'll give you. But this is a far cry from finger guns which don't present any possible threat - at all - to an actual substance that can cause harm to even just one single student.

If a school gives a damn about the safety and security of all its students, then it needs to follow through on ensuring the safety and security of ALL its students. If it means ticking people off and having people like you think they're overreacting, so be it. I said it before, and I'll say it again....I'll weather inconvenience any day of the week if it means a child in my school is safe.

And...you continue to ignore that this one school is not the only institution that has chosen a ban. Airlines, day care centers, and restaurants have gone out of their way to be a "peanut-free" establishment for the safety and security of their customers. Many many schools across the nation have also instituted a ban and have not reversed their decision.

The gripes are the result of being unaware and uneducated on the risk factors of peanut allergies. We're not talking self-esteem here. We're talking about biological reactions.

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
Besides it seems some parents who are fortunate to have a child who is not allergic is going to feel their child's rights are being violated if any precautions are taken for one child.

This school in Fla..serves peanut butter and jelly ,allows kids to bring it..but in 2 first grade classrooms their is a child with life threatening allergies..and the parents are ******** their children have to wash their hands in the morning when they get to school and wash their hands and faces after lunch.

What person in their right mind would ***** about their children being made to wash their hands? As far as I'm concerned I would welcome that allergies or not.That cuts down on transference of contagious diseases..But no these parents had to picket for their child's right to it seems not have to do anything special to help protect this one child.Talk about lack of contribution for the betterment of community as a whole.

Peanut Allergy Protest a 'Misunderstanding,' Florida School District Says - ParentDish

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Besides it seems some parents who are fortunate to have a child who is not allergic is going to feel their child's rights are being violated if any precautions are taken for one child.

This school in Fla..serves peanut butter and jelly ,allows kids to bring it..but in 2 first grade classrooms their is a child with life threatening allergies..and the parents are ******** their children have to wash their hands in the morning when they get to school and wash their hands and faces after lunch.

What person in their right mind would ***** about their children being made to wash their hands? As far as I'm concerned I would welcome that allergies or not.That cuts down on transference of contagious diseases..But no these parents had to picket for their child's right to it seems not have to do anything special to help protect this one child.Talk about lack of contribution for the betterment of community as a whole.

Peanut Allergy Protest a 'Misunderstanding,' Florida School District Says - ParentDish

And this is a school that doesn't ban peanut products on its premises, either.

I remember when people used to smoke cigarettes on flights. Then smokers had an assigned section at the back of the plane (they *****ed about it). Then smoking was banned on all flights (they really *****ed about that too). All because they felt it was catering to some wuss asthmatic people who couldn't just take a car ride by themselves so they could have the right to smoke when they wanted.

Didn't matter that many health organizations and doctors discussed the risk factors with second hand smoke. People brought up how they grew up with mom and dad smoking in the house and they "turned out all right." There are still people who think smokers should have rights that trump the random asthmatic who can't breathe in an enclosed place due to second hand smoke.

These are all the same arguments, rehashed and in different language. The target now is kids with peanut allergies who apparently are being parented horribly by parents who are allegedly arrogant and entitled. And now institutions are being stupid, reactionary, scared, and just bowing down to whatever new "threat" (that is only apparently a perceived threat) because they're scared out of their wits of getting sued, apparently.

Can't please everybody. I err on the side of caution. I don't have to be liked for it. :shrug:

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
Also again ...you cant just count kids that have died.How many kids have had a severe enough reaction and had to go the nurses office to be treated or sent to the hospital but did not die?

The other scary thing is I read is 25% food-induced anaphylaxis reactions in schools occur among students without a previous food allergy diagnosis.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Also again ...you cant just count kids that have died.How many kids have had a severe enough reaction and had to go the nurses office to be treated or sent to the hospital but did not die?

The other scary thing is I read is 25% food-induced anaphylaxis reactions in schools occur among students without a previous food allergy diagnosis.

Plenty of people have discovered their food allergy on school premises. It's like kids that only find out they're deathly allergic to bee stings only AFTER they've been stung.

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
And this is a school that doesn't ban peanut products on its premises, either.

I remember when people used to smoke cigarettes on flights. Then smokers had an assigned section at the back of the plane (they *****ed about it). Then smoking was banned on all flights (they really *****ed about that too). All because they felt it was catering to some wuss asthmatic people who couldn't just take a car ride by themselves so they could have the right to smoke when they wanted.

Didn't matter that many health organizations and doctors discussed the risk factors with second hand smoke. People brought up how they grew up with mom and dad smoking in the house and they "turned out all right." There are still people who think smokers should have rights that trump the random asthmatic who can't breathe in an enclosed place due to second hand smoke.

These are all the same arguments, rehashed and in different language. The target now is kids with peanut allergies who apparently are being parented horribly by parents who are allegedly arrogant and entitled. And now institutions are being stupid, reactionary, scared, and just bowing down to whatever new "threat" (that is only apparently a perceived threat) because they're scared out of their wits of getting sued, apparently.

Can't please everybody. I err on the side of caution. I don't have to be liked for it. :shrug:

That's what it seems like to me.My kids aren't allergic to anything that I know of and definately not peanuts..they have eaten gallons of peanut butter over the years..if they had been in a classroom (actually a couple years my youngest one was) with a child that could possibly DIE from accidental exposure to peanut products I would feel like a **** head insisting that I nor my child should not be inconvenienced in any way to protect that one child.

With that child I know for one if we had a class party with food anything we brought had to be store bought (not home made) with a peanut free label.I don't know if they 'forced "my son to wash his hands every day or not but if they did its with my blessings.

Last edited:

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
That's what it seems like to me.My kids aren't allergic to anything that I know of and definately not peanuts..they have eaten gallons of peanut butter over the years..if they had been in a classroom (actually a couple years my youngest one was) with a child that could possibly DIE from accidental exposure to peanut products I would feel like a **** head insisting that I nor my child should be inconvenienced in any way to protect that one child.

With that child I know for one if we had a class party with food anything we brought had to be store bought (not home made) with a peanut free label.I don't know if they 'forced "my son to wash his hands every day or not but if they did its with my blessings.

I agree. My son likes PB&J sandwiches, so he packs his lunch twice a week with one and a drink to take to school with him. My kids don't have any known allergies except for my daughter reacting to red food dye. But she broke out in hives, not anaphylactic shock, so I wouldn't want any place she goes to to ban red food dye to protect my daughter. That's a risk we're willing to take.

I do poorly with gluten when it's ingested. But I'm willing to take a risk when I go out to eat by requesting food that likely does not have gluten in it. However, were gluten have the possibility of constricting my throat to the point where I could die without proper immediate medical attention, I'd put up a request. As it is, gluten just creates pain and extreme nausea. Not life-threatening.

Peanuts are unique in its impact on allergic reactions. And with its prevalence in many food items, it's a concern with how we can ensure a safe educational environment for kids. People would complain up a storm if a bee hive were discovered in a school building and the administrators did nothing about it, and just told parents: "Hey people! Do your ****ing job as parents and teach your kids to stay away from bees!" :p

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
I try to put myself in the parents position..how helpless I would feel if my child was deathly allergic to peanuts..and 5 days out of the week I was sending him to a building where 50 to a 100 peanut butter sandwiches were being served and eaten. To and by children who besides yours are probably oblivious to the risks hes under from accidental exposure.

I mean really whats the big deal its just peanut butter?

Last edited:

BSM1

What? Me worry?
First it was no drinking at school. Then no smoking or praying. Now no PB&J-it's definitely a sign of end times.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
I try to put myself in the parents position..how helpless I would feel if my child was deathly allergic to peanuts..and 5 days out of the week I was sending him to a building where 50 to a 100 peanut butter sandwiches were being served and eaten. To and by children who besides yours are probably oblivious to the risks hes under from accidental exposure.

Im mean really whats the big deal its just peanut butter?

[sarcasm]

Because my child will only eat PB&J sandwiches for lunch! And you're just not teaching your child how to protect themselves enough! And if it's that serious, how are you preparing your child for the REAL world if you expect the school to cater to your childs weaknesses! Why should ALL the other children have to bow down to the whims of YOUR ONE child? Huh? Huh? This is stupid and ridiculous!!

[/sarcasm]

Mob rule mixed with being unaware of the risks mixed with humans being creatures of habit. People don't generally like to change much, even if it's something as small as peanut butter. ;)

I like your approach of putting yourself in the shoes of the parents with the child who has the peanut allergy. Empathy only helps. :)

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
First it was no drinking at school. Then no smoking or praying. Now no PB&J-it's definitely a sign of end times.

No. Not yet. If Girl Scouts stopped selling Girl Scout cookies....then it's a definitely a sign of the end times. ;)

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
Peanuts are unique in its impact on allergic reactions. And with its prevalence in many food items, it's a concern with how we can ensure a safe educational environment for kids.

Right besides shellfish I don't think its common for any of the other food allergies to be immediately life threatening like that for that many.(maybe eggs?).

The others it seems to be more like an intolerance ...and mostly gastro intestinal upset.Or like your daughter a rashes or hives.Or like with artificial sugar I know that can cause migraines in some people or mental confusion .

But the other point is specifically in SCHOOLS the prevalence of peanut butter specifically?Or kids bringing mixed nuts?Or trail mix with peanuts in it....

Talking about this is making me itch..LOL!!!

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
se Intolerance
In order to understand the physiology behind primary LI,
we must examine what happens to lactase activity as childhood
proceeds. We mentioned before that lactase levels remain high
during infancy. However, what happens after infancy is determined by one’s genetic makeup. If one possesses the more
common autosomal recessive gene, lactase activity begins to
drop between the ages of 2 and 20 years(3,4). On the other
hand (or chromosome), if one possesses the less common autosomal dominant gene, lactase activity remains high into adulthood.
What does this mean to those of us sitting in this room?
How many of you can drink milk right now and be free of any
problems? Raise your hands. Do those of you with your hands
raised realize that you are mutants? When I told my sons they
were mutants, they had visions of Ninja Turtles and X-Men,
but I had to clarify that they don’t get to live in the sewers or
chase bad guys. Why are you mutants?
No mammal other than man has the ability to ingest milk
as an adult. Even then, only a small percentage of the world’s
humans are actually lactase persistent, as those of you who
raised your hands are known. As many as 75 percent of humans are not able to drink milk as adults without experiencing embarrassing and painful symptoms. Why did some population groups develop the mutation that allowed them to drink
milk as adults? For one possible answer, we turn to simple
Darwinian evolutionary theory.

http://archive.ajpe.org/legacy/pdfs/aj640216.pdf

So depending on the source its anywhere between 75% and 90% of humans are "lactose intolerant"..which makes you the odd ball if you can drink it with absolutely ZERO issues with it...

Also though cheese and yogurt are more tolerable because they are fermented.So some may be able to tolerate those ..while they can not tolerate drinking milk.

Im bumping this up to make sure Draka saw it.Its a misconception that milk intolerance is an anomaly.Tolerating milk with zero issues after infancy and beyond is the exception not the rule for humans.I also wonder on top of this.How many have mild issues with milk but do not associate it with (put it together) that its the milk.Including some people can tolerate it for years and gradually not be able to "stomach" it so to speak .They may not suspect milk is their issue because they have been fine with it before..

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
Now, in the rest of the article it is also pointed out that the second most common food allergy is milk. Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the usual drink issued out at school cafeterias milk? So what is next? No more milk?

But back to the difference besides the majority of people are milk intolerant(its not an ALLERGY though..its normal )...most people are not going to be at risk of anaphylactic SHOCK from accidental ingestion of a small amount of milk.They are also not likely to develop a painful rash just from skin contact with a small amount of milk.

I do however think they need to stop promoting milk as a harmless/ wholesome food that should part of every ones daily diet ..or some sort of necessary food group to get calcium...When its not.When most people don't even produce the enzyme in their bodies to break down the lactose in it I think its very misleading to call normal intolerance to milk an "allergy"..Or that its the "best" way to get your daily calcium needs met which is also BS.Its ONE way and its mostly white people of Northern European decent that can even digest it properly.

Sesame seeds...

Green leafy veggies..(name it )

Almonds...(and other nuts besides peanuts)

Oranges...

Broccoli...

Beans..

Peas...

Brussell sprouts..

Dried herbs...

Salmon /sardines

To name a few.

Not to mention if Im really worried about calcium I can chew up one single tums and have my daily need met..and I can take that with a vitamin D supplement and I'm covered.

In the meantime I can also enjoy coconut milk that in one cup has 45% of my daily calcium and 25% of my D if I just have to have milk.

IOW no I don't think they should take milk out of the schools..but I think they need to stop lying /misleading people that you ""need" it ..to the point they even sell "lactase" supplements for people to take who have the 'condition " of lactose "intolerance" or "allergy' to milk so they can drink it.