• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Seeing That Women Can Go Topless Now Do You Suppose A Lot More Rapes Will Happen?

What the thread title says

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
I'm saying that men CAN stop and SHOULD.That doesn't mean that more women wont be raped if suddenly we are topless everywhere.

Im arguing that they CAN stop but WON"T and toplessnes will be further "excuse" for more women to be raped .For ALL the same reasons they are now."Couldn't help it' she asked for it...ETC...

Not that they CANT stop.But they WONT is my isue.As long as any BLAME is placed on her and Mystic it IS..that is just a fact.

I don't like it and I don't think its right.I'm just saying we would need a whole 100 years of toplessnes and revamped teachings before more women wouldn't be raped simply because she had exposed breast.

I agree with you that victim-blaming is still the norm. I don't think topless women will translate into more rapes according to the statistics. I do wonder if more topless women = more empowered women = more reported sexual assaults and rapes. But I don't think that prediction or possibility factors into the logic of the OP.

idav

Being
Premium Member
O personally don't think its something that can not be "controlled" I know it can.And in more aspects of desire than just sexual.

Too many do NOT .Which sorry in that environment? Too many that don't would mean more rapes because of toplessness.

FRIG women here (in the U.S) are deemed disgusting and even called "sluts" for breastfeeding in public..

What it would take is like any 'revolution" ..the front runners to make way for the next generation ...
It normally isn't about a woman dressing provocative or topless because rapists are about control, the kinda sickos that rape old ladies without the old lady needing to be topless. Many of those types aren't even sexually active or even able to be. This shows that the perps are looking for a target not necessarily a sexual conquest. I mention the old lady because that is the latest rape case around our neighborhood, :(.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I agree with you that victim-blaming is still the norm. I don't think topless women will translate into more rapes according to the statistics. I do wonder if more topless women = more empowered women = more reported sexual assaults and rapes. But I don't think that prediction or possibility factors into the logic of the OP.

This is off topic in some ways, but you raise an interesting question. Would more topless women result in more reports of assaults and rapes?

Bear with me, please, while I walk you through this. Some years ago, I did an internet search for scientific papers on the effects of public nudity on the nudists. As it turned out, I could only find four studies that had been done on the subject. All four, however, had shown a positive correlation between going nude and things like high self-esteem, positive body image, self confidence, and so forth. (Not one study had found anything negative about it,)

Now, the most interesting thing about those studies was that, because of the details of how they were conducted, they seemed to raise the possibility that the high self-esteem, etc which is typically found in nudists is a result of their experience going nude in public, rather than merely something they started out with!

In other words, it's possible (albeit not proven) that public nudity for some reason raises people's self-esteem, body image, self-confidence, etc.

Here's my thought: If it does raise those things, then it might also be possible that women who went topless would be more likely than is the norm today to report rapes and assaults. That is, their greater confidence and esteem for themselves might tend to overcome any reluctance they had to report those things.

Just a thought.

idav

Being
Premium Member
This is off topic in some ways, but you raise an interesting question. Would more topless women result in more reports of assaults and rapes?

Bear with me, please, while I walk you through this. Some years ago, I did an internet search for scientific papers on the effects of public nudity on the nudists. As it turned out, I could only find four studies that had been done on the subject. All four, however, had shown a positive correlation between going nude and things like high self-esteem, positive body image, self confidence, and so forth. (Not one study had found anything negative about it,)

Now, the most interesting thing about those studies was that, because of the details of how they were conducted, they seemed to raise the possibility that the high self-esteem, etc which is typically found in nudists is a result of their experience going nude in public, rather than merely something they started out with!

In other words, it's possible (albeit not proven) that public nudity for some reason raises people's self-esteem, body image, self-confidence, etc.

Here's my thought: If it does raise those things, then it might also be possible that women who went topless would be more likely than is the norm today to report rapes and assaults. That is, their greater confidence and esteem for themselves might tend to overcome any reluctance they had to report those things.

Just a thought.

On that same note higher self esteem also lowers the chances of being a victim of assault to begin with.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I'm not talking about all men, but there are men out there...very few that would act on it. That's the reality of what I'm trying to convey.

That's quite interesting! I'm curious on what basis do you know there's a few men who would rape out of horniness alone?

Marie75

Liberal
That's quite interesting! I'm curious on what basis do you know there's a few men who would rape out of horniness alone?

I watch a lot of Investigation Discovery,:D and those very few men just need one little trigger. I just watched one episode where the guy admitted that all he thought about all day and night was raping women...he was a "peeping tom" and just from seeing a woman half naked triggered him to break in and rape her. Matter of fact, I watched this yesterday.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I watch a lot of Investigation Discovery,:D and those very few men just need one little trigger. I just watched one episode where the guy admitted that all he thought about all day and night was raping women...he was a "peeping tom" and just from seeing a woman half naked triggered him to break in and rape her. Matter of fact, I watched this yesterday.

Thanks! I myself am not totally opposed to the notion that a very few men might rape solely out of horniness. Not totally opposed, but I still would be surprised if it were indeed the case. Perhaps I should watch Discovery.

My general take on it, however, is that a number of motivational factors and conditions are key to understanding the psychology of the rapist, rather than just one motivation.

Last edited:

Marie75

Liberal
There's the "Discovery" channel, and "Investigation Discovery." Don't get it twisted. "snaps fingers and circles my head and neck." :p

But really, it's amazing how they catch criminals with DNA analysis, footprints, you name it. And I agree, rapists have some deep routed serious psychological issues.

Alceste

Vagabond
There's the "Discovery" channel, and "Investigation Discovery." Don't get it twisted. "snaps fingers and circles my head and neck." :p

But really, it's amazing how they catch criminals with DNA analysis, footprints, you name it. And I agree, rapists have some deep routed serious psychological issues.

Exactly - if that guy is creeping around in women's yards and thinking about raping people all day long, there's a hell of a lot more going on there psychologically apart from seeing boobs and not being able to help himself.

Fantasy fulfilment is a major motive convicted rapists report for their crimes. That would be rape fantasy, not sex fantasy. That's the handful of weirdos that fantasize about actual sexual assault, as opposed to aggressively pleasuring a woman until she screams "oh, please sir, stop giving me orgasms! I can't take it any more!"

Marie75

Liberal
"Apart from seeing boobs?" There are predators everywhere, and you can't discredit a woman who is half naked without the possibility of a sick demented individual acting on it. IMO, it's a dangerous prospect. I can't make sense of what your getting at.

Last edited:

Mercy Not Sacrifice

I'm saying that men CAN stop and SHOULD.That doesn't mean that more women wont be raped if suddenly we are topless everywhere.

Im arguing that they CAN stop but WON"T and toplessnes will be further "excuse" for more women to be raped .For ALL the same reasons they are now."Couldn't help it' she asked for it...ETC...

Not that they CANT stop.But they WONT is my isue.As long as any BLAME is placed on her and Mystic it IS..that is just a fact.

I don't like it and I don't think its right.I'm just saying we would need a whole 100 years of toplessnes and revamped teachings before more women wouldn't be raped simply because she had exposed breast.

Dallas...

Your posts intrigue me in one unique way: I used to think as you do. I used to think that "women don't ask for it, but..." I used to think that short dresses, cleavage, provocative dancing, etc. were risk factors for being raped.

What I did not understand then, but do understand now, is that the mindset of a rapist constitutes 100% of all rape risk factors. To tell a woman that she needs to be mindful about walking to her car alone at night, for example, is preaching to the choir. Furthermore, to deprive her of the right to wear or not wear whatever she wants, to talk however she wants, to drink as much as she wants, is to take away some of her rights in the name of protecting her. Nobody is saying that women should have sex 24/7, nor that she should abstain from sex forever. We just want her to be able to have sex only when she and her partner or partners allow it.

My question is--and this is what I want you to think about, as a woman: Why is there a need to choose between sexual freedom vs. safety? Outside of the risk of STDs or bizarre applications of age of consent laws, men almost never have to face this dilemma. They very rarely have to worry about being taken advantage of if they get drunk, or fall asleep on someone else's couch, or if their partner wants sex but if they don't.

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
My question is--and this is what I want you to think about, as a woman: Why is there a need to choose between sexual freedom vs. safety? Outside of the risk of STDs or bizarre applications of age of consent laws, men almost never have to face this dilemma. They very rarely have to worry about being taken advantage of if they get drunk, or fall asleep on someone else's couch, or if their partner wants sex but if they don't.

I thought about it.I guess I don't "know" exactly why I have to worry about it.(more so than a man)..But I think I DO have to worry about it more so than a man.

Do you know why I do? Or am I just paranoid?

Mercy Not Sacrifice

I thought about it.I guess I don't "know" exactly why I have to worry about it.(more so than a man)..But I think I DO have to worry about it more so than a man.

Do you know why I do? Or am I just paranoid?

The traditional thought is that women have to be the ones who worry about it more, because they are far more statistically likely to become a target of rape. However, I think that everybody, men and women, should be concerned about the rape epidemic. Men should be concerned that so many in their own rank choose to rape people. So yeah, we need to share this burden as long as it exists.

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
[QUOTE So yeah, we need to share this burden as long as it exists.][/QUOTE]

Then what is my burden as a female.The target?

Mercy Not Sacrifice

So yeah, we need to share this burden as long as it exists.

Then what is my burden as a female.The target?

It is the burden of oppression, of violence against innocent humans, of not just a set of isolated acts, but of a culture that has enabled these acts to be routine. For too long, women have born most of that burden, simply because they constitute most of its victims. Men have to step up to the plate and work to cure society of this ill with every bit as much passion.

This necessarily doesn't mean that every man needs to be pre-screened as a potential rapist, mind you. It simply means that the focus of preventing rapes needs to shift from target to perpetrator.