• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Seeing That Women Can Go Topless Now Do You Suppose A Lot More Rapes Will Happen?

What the thread title says

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Me Myself

Back to my username
No action verb that I know of includes it`s motivation in it.

Rape is an action. Motivations may come from different angles, like with all crimes/actions

Kerr

Not without opportunity.

the thing is that various elements are needed within mentality. One can have a dominant attitude but have serious self restraint when it comes to rape or physical damage or some other specific forms of damage ("I would never bother someone about their x"). this would still enter inside mentlaity.

One can be sexually aroused by dominance in sex but be morally opposed to do it to someone against their will (and thus, would find BDSM people with whom he could have consensual role gaming sex) .

The resistance can come from empathy, somesort of pride (I am not that kind of person/not a monster) or any other source.

The thing is ultimately, rape will happen when there is high enough motivation with low enugh resistance (again, resistance can be: basic empathy, fear of the law, fear of social pariahness, some sort of pride or strict adherence to a chosen moral code, and others)

This can happen in different ways. Like all crimes.
Curiously enough, a motive isnt a motive without the right mentality :p.

Kerr

mentality is kind of big and abstract because of that xD.

all actions done by humans happen given different mentalities that allow it.
Of course. Mentality in this case means attitude towards the victim, and values when it comes to forcing yourself on other people. The mentality that can cause it may be an attitude of entitlement or simply a matter of control. Or something else. Yet its key to rape.

Alceste

Vagabond
Oh okay, something changed somewhere along the way since the older threads on this subject, or I misunderstood you before. Mystic's position was that rape is never about sex, at all, and it seemed that you had agreed with and supported her position. I apologize if I misunderstood.

You could barely squeeze a pube hair between mystic's position and mine. I acknowledge that sexual assault often (not always) involves sexual gratification on the part of the perpetrator. I don't think that means it is ever "about" sex though. Sexual assault is still criminally prosecutable when the perpetrator does not get sexual gratification from it. For example, the stuff at Abu Ghraib would be prosecutable if it happened here, and the perpetrators would be consisted sex offenders. Not because of how they felt and whether they got off, but because of what they did and the fact that it was sexual violence against unconsenting victims.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
She can agree with me or not, but yes, that is my position.

Sexual desire is ancillary when it comes to rape, not primary. I've said this all along, and hence rape is not about sex since it's only along for the ride. Rape is about power, control, and dominance. People getting horny is a moot point.

Yes, I understand that that is your position.

dgirl1986

Big Queer Chesticles!
She can agree with me or not, but yes, that is my position.

Sexual desire is ancillary when it comes to rape, not primary. I've said this all along, and hence rape is not about sex since it's only along for the ride. Rape is about power, control, and dominance. People getting horny is a moot point.

Exactly. Psychology and criminal psychology seem to back this up.

Kerr

That, and the fact that most rapes are, to some degree, premeditated. The notion that men are "triggered" to rape is simply false.
Hey! Men are just zombies who cant control themselves!

In all seriousness, this is why I find the notion of rapes being triggered by how a woman dress and so on rather offensive (aside from justifying rape, that is). It reduces man to nothing but a slave to his desires. Well, we arent just slaves to our desires. We are NOT zombies.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member

In all seriousness, this is why I find the notion of rapes being triggered by how a woman dress and so on rather offensive (aside from justifying rape, that is). It reduces man to nothing but a slave to his desires. Well, we arent just slaves to our desires. We are NOT zombies.

I agree with you. But I would just point out that debunking the myth rapes are triggered by how a woman dresses is a long and uphill battle. I believe that's because the idea has a kind of folk logic to it. It appears to be reasonable. Maybe it even appears to make intuitive sense to some folks. And those sort of ideas are absolutely the hardest ones to crush because many folks will trust the appearance of reason more than they will actually reason.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
I agree with you. But I would just point out that debunking the myth rapes are triggered by how a woman dresses is a long and uphill battle. I believe that's because the idea has a kind of folk logic to it. It appears to be reasonable. Maybe it even appears to make intuitive sense to some folks. And those sort of ideas are absolutely the hardest ones to crush because many folks will trust the appearance of reason more than they will actually reason.

It's like an old wives tale. Men are the hunters. Women are the nurturers. Men are assertive. Women are emotional. And relevant to this discussion: men are not able to control themselves.

I used to hear this in my Bible study groups back in college, and was told I needed to dress modestly so that the men around me won't be tempted into doing something they'll regret later. These were women who were telling me this, too, as a warning and to seem more compassionate toward men. Every time I would relate this to other men - whether they were Christian or not - the vast majority of them were horrified to be thought of in that way.

Mercy Not Sacrifice

I agree.

Mercy Not Sacrifice

It's like an old wives tale. Men are the hunters. Women are the nurturers. Men are assertive. Women are emotional. And relevant to this discussion: men are not able to control themselves.

I used to hear this in my Bible study groups back in college, and was told I needed to dress modestly so that the men around me won't be tempted into doing something they'll regret later. These were women who were telling me this, too, as a warning and to seem more compassionate toward men. Every time I would relate this to other men - whether they were Christian or not - the vast majority of them were horrified to be thought of in that way.

Yup, I got these very lessons too. It's amazing how some people believe that homosexuality is a choice, but rape isn't. :facepalm:

Alceste

Vagabond

I think it's because too many people (men and women) have rape wank fantasies. It's next to impossible for them to separate their wank fantasy from the reality of rape. In fantasy rape, the lust is just too overpowering, the object of affection way too sexy. That's why I prefer the term "sexual assault". Practically nobody has sexual assault wank fantasies.

Marie75

Liberal
Yes I do believe so. In a man's subconscious mind if you will, gives him the impression that she is looking for sex. Plus the strong sexual stimulation men get from seeing women dressed provocatively can be overwhelming...especially women revealing themselves without clothing presenting more exposure would make a man even more aroused. There is NO excuse for it, but some men just can't control themselves and think they are entitled...I think for those men their hormones dominate over their rational thinking.

Last edited:

Alceste

Vagabond
Yes I do believe so. In a man's subconscious mind if you will, gives him the impression that she is looking for sex. Plus the strong sexual stimulation men get from seeing women dressed provocatively can be overwhelming...especially women revealing themselves without clothing presenting more exposure would make a man even more aroused. There is NO excuse for it, but some men just can't control themselves and think they are entitled...I think for those men their hormones dominate over their rational thinking.

I have more respect for men than this.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member

I'm glad your fantasy about men is not the reality about men.